Like Tree100Likes

I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

1. January 2038

Cordoba
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cordoba.jpg
    Hardly the most comprehensive result, but it will do. Another Benali assist and he should really have had a goal as well but fluffed his lines from 12 yards.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hernandez-signing.jpg - so, it took £28.5m to get him, but he has the potential to be an outstanding keeper and with first team keeper Makengo at the age of 35, his replacement may as well be a good one. Back-up keeper Calderon is placed on the transfer list.

Celta Vigo (Spanish Cup 5th Round, 1st leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vigo.jpg
    A completely changed front 3 and a couple of others, including a debut for GK Hernandez, although I can’t believe that contributed to that pretty shocking performance. We have some work to do.

Getafe
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-getafe.jpg
    More or less back to full strength, and it makes a significant difference. Drake is the stand-out player but it’s when Flores isn’t in the side that we don’t seem to be anywhere near as effective. That was a positive reaction to the Vigo game.

Celta Vigo (Spanish Cup 5th Round, 2nd leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vigo-2nd.jpg
    A disastrous first leg is compounded by an even worse second leg and it’s not like that was even a weakened team…not impressed with that.

San Sebastien
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-san-sebastien.jpg
    Despite conceding first, the team came back strongly with Benali again showing his worth with another fine performance from Flores in the centre of the park.

Vallecano
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vallecano.jpg
    Nothing seemed to work in this game as progressive changes to force the breakthrough didn’t pay dividends until the very latter stages of the game - Barbosa’s card put the results at risk, but Mas somewhat dug me out of a hole there.

Athletic Bilbao
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-bolbao.jpg
    Thank the footballing gods for Benali as he makes the difference in a game that, whilst not exactly a classic, we pretty much controlled.

Typically, Man City wait until the last day of the transfer window to bid for Drake - ordinarily, the £75m bid for a 30 year old would be accepted, but since I haven’t got the time to bring in a replacement, the bid is turned down…they can come back in the summer.

Gonzalez is struggling to convince me he’s worth the £40m I paid for him. We’re not scoring as many as I have done at previous clubs, but we’re playing pretty cautiously at the back and not conceding or losing too many either.
    19 wins in 22 pretty much says it all - very happy with that record so far.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-stats.jpg
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg

2. February 2038

Bos’s 15 year spell at the club comes to an end as he announces his retirement at the end of the season. I had been expecting him to hold on for another season, but the search for his replacement starts in earnest.

Athletico Madrid
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-madrid.jpg
    No matter what we tried, we simply couldn’t take advantage of the extra man - that was not pretty viewing as getting through the two banks of 4 proved impossible.

Real Hispalis
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hispalis.jpg
    Having lost the midfield battle in recent games, a defender is sacrificed to provide for an extra CM. It didn’t provide more possession, but the possession we did have was higher up the pitch which gave the strikers more time to get into goalscoring positions, which was evidenced by the fact that all 3 scored and Mas, on as a sub, should have done.

Porto (Champions League, 1st Round, 1st leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-porto.jpg
    I kept the 4-3-3 but Porto are in a different class to Hispalis and, aside from giving us a bit of a gift for the lead, they absolutely dominated us in what was probably our least effective game this season…although there was the bonus of an away goal.

Coruna
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-coruna.jpg
    The first of two eminently winnable home games comes up, but a lack of fit midfielders rather forces my hand back to a 5-2-3.However, it makes little difference as Perlingeiro picks up assists to all 3 goals in a comfortable win.

Espanyol
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-espanyol.jpg
    Perlingeiro stops providing goals for others and finally gets one for himself - sparing Benali’s blushes in the process. Not the greatest performance, but it will do.

TheBattman and kolas79 like this.

3. March 2038

Malaga
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-malaga.jpg
    A gamble to play my second string strike force, which should have been good enough to do something, rather backfires as we were second best to a far more clinical Malaga side who deserved the win.

Sevilla
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sevilla.jpg

Sevilla were dreadful, but had we managed to keep the ball down when shooting, we could have had double this, or even higher. Mas and Barbosa the main culprits when the opportunities arose.

Porto (Champions League, 1st Round, 2nd Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-porto.jpg
    This is a big one… and we fell well short. The lack of a coherent Plan C really didn’t help us there, along with the home leg. That’s frustrating with the board and the fans not happy…can’t blame them in this case though.

Las Palmas
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-las-palmas.jpg
    That was a seriously low quality game with the only difference, this time round, being the ability of Drake to put away the only chance he had. That result was made even better due to Real losing their last two games giving us an 8 point advantage as it stands.

Pamplona
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-pamplona.jpg
    We had a chance to really fill our boots against the team sitting in 19th position, but ony got going after a slow start. A routine win in the end.

Drake’s 14 league goals are still only enough to give him 5th place in the league goalscoring list, but they have proved invaluable this season. There are still a number of teams sniffing around him, but for BIG money, he could go. Perlingeiro leads the assists for the league, with Benali just behind. Perlingeiro just goes to show that although he’s not naturally suited to the WBR role, he has the skills to be effective with most of his assists coming from crosses.
    The table shows we have comfortably the best defensive record which is what the league position has been pretty much built on.

kolas79 likes this.

4. April 2038

Real Madrid
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-r-madrid.jpg
    The 8 points we’re ahead are seemingly necessary as, again, we just can’t match up to the bigger boys in the league - I got that horribly wrong.

Quaification for next season’s Champions League brings with it a transfer kitty of nearly £70m, which is a pretty good total although I’m not quite sure at the moment what it’s going to be spent on.

Celta Vigo

A slight change of formation to try and get that link between the midfielders and forwards brings about a comfortable win with Benali, the creator, goalscorer and generally all-round consistent performer. The extra midfielder needed, meant that Luis had to be brought in from the B squad and he performed well enough on his debut.

Granada
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-granada.jpg

That was a game for the debut goals as both Rincon and Luis got their firsts for the club. The red card gave us a bit of a boost but even after Luis’s 30 yard free-kick (I didn’t know he had it in his locker), the result was never certain as they didn’t give up. Mas returns to goalscoring ways after a drought of 11 hours.

Valencia
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-valencia.jpg

Flores singlehandedly puts Valencia to the sword as the playing Jovic as the extra man in midfield pays off and gives him a lot of extra room and time to pull the strings. A thorougly comprehensive result.

Villareal
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-villareal.jpg

That was an outstanding win which I did not see coming. Drake was on top of his game and the combination of the 5-2-1-2 formation and a couple of tactical tweaks means that the team seems to be hitting its straps at the right end of the season.

I wasn’t sure about Benali’s worth to the team when I arrived, but he’s been invaluable this season with a ridiculous number of goals and assists. Ferreira’s been disappointing, but he’s barely played as Benali has been in such good form, but not as disappointing as AMC Jovic. I have no idea how CB Pereyra has picked up 6 assists, but he’s the joint third for doing so.
    The end of the season is in sight and it's looking quite positive with 3, what should be straightforward games against Cordoba, Getafe and Almeria remaining.

kolas79 likes this.

5. May 2038

Cordoba
    The two main men at the top do the business as we record a pretty comfortable win that guarantees the La Liga title with games to spare and, as the last few games show, with plenty of confidence and panache. Good football, good results, happy board, happy fans (if we ignore the Champions League debarcle) means a happy manager.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-title.jpg

Given that I’m a midfielder short, I have a look round the market. I need a DLP and the best of the best are Perez at PSG, and Landeta at West Ham. Both are Spanish internationals, both are interested, both are aged 26 and both would be very good signings for the club.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-perez-profile.jpg / I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-landeta-profile.jpg

Perez is an ex Real Madrid player and PSG only signed him this season for £42m. His estimated value is £58m - £77m so is a costly acquisition, but is clearly one of the best midfielders in the game and would come with a massive reputation.

Landeta is still a world class player, but doesn’t quite have the reputation of Perez. He does, however, have a minimum release fee of £58m for a team in the Champions League. West Ham signed him for £7m from us several seasons ago and has a sell on clause meaning, I think, that Barca get 30% of the profit back (£15m)…making the transfer effectively £43m…and much more economical.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-skopkjal.jpg

An entirely different way to go is 19 year old Serbian wonderkid Skopljak currently at Arsenal. His value is estimated between £25m - £45m. With Barbosa and Slezak both 30 and still a few years under their belt, bringing in a youngster who wouldn’t expect to play every game would help with keeping the squad happy.

Getafe
    The media predicted a cricket score ahead of this game, but we couldn’t turn the overwhelming possession into goals.

Almeria
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-almeria.jpg

The final game of the season and it’s a very comfortable win.

In summary, that was a rather pleasing season. Perlingeiro, signed for just £13m, is wanted by a host of clubs and the £38m release fee suddenly doesn’t look enough. Benali didn’t start off as first choice but there is no other way to consider him after his outstanding season and with now 6 strikers competing for 2 starting spots, offers will be considered for Drake - particularly ridiculous ones. Either, or both, of Mas & Ferreira can also leave if the right bids are received. A replacement is needed for CB Bos, who retires, and a natural WBR would be a very useful addition if one can be sourced. A new MC is definitely needed so all in all, this could be a very busy transfer window but I’m not keen on disrupting the team too much. Luis promoted from the B squad definitely looks at home so has saved me a signing. Drake’s 18 goals are only good enough to place him third in the top goalscorer awards but Benali (16) and Perlingeiro (12) sit first and third for assists.

The league makes for very good reading, particularly the defensive record and the (lack of) goals conceded. We lost to Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Valencia and Malaga over the course of the season but it’s the drawn column which explains the 7 point difference to Real.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-manager-year-award.jpg - another accolade to add to the growing list, but it’s made rather easy managing this team. The 84% win rate is ridiculous and comfortably the best of my career so far.

kolas79 likes this.

6. June - August 2038

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-review.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-season.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-confidence.jpg

The transfer window opens:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-signings.jpg- both Landeta and Perez were beyond what I could afford, but Garrancha was signed as a replacement. Erding was signed on a free some months ago to replace Sanchez, who was at the time outgoing, but has since rejected several moves away.

Bos’s retirement leaves a gap with a CB needed.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-jovic-sale.jpg - in 46 appearances with Barca, playing as an AMC, Jovic managed just 3 goals & 3 assists. £30m was a no-brainer and he’ll do a job somewhere…just not here.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ferreira-sale.jpg - surplus to requirements, so a sale to Bordeaux is a good deal for all parties.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-allouchi-signing.jpg - I return to Inter to sign El Allouchi, who will be a useful back-up and, given his professional nature, a potential tutor if we have anyone coming through.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-friendlies.jpg- not the toughest set of games, but good for the fitness and confidence with plenty of goals scored ahead of the start of the proper season.

=X=X=X=

Villareal a (Spanish SuperCup, 1st Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-villareal-.jpg
    It was disappointing not to hold on to the lead and let the win go, especially with the possession we had, but that’s only the first leg and I’m confident of getting the job done at home.

Villareal h (Spanish SuperCup, 2nd Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-villareal-h-.jpg
    I wasn’t quite expecting that resut, but we were utterly dominant from start to finish. Rodriguez was the unlikeliest of scorers as he scores as many in this game as he has in the last 6 seasons. Drake has probably scored his last goal for the club as Man City come in with a too-good-to-refuse bid of £40m.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-supercup-win.jpg

Suprisingly, Drake rejects the contract offer from Man City.

Athletico Bilbao
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-bilbao.jpg

Not a bad way to start the title defence with a convincing win. Benali carries on from where he left off last season and Gonzalez makes his contribution leading the line.

Considering I’m already a centre-back short, the news that both Peyreyra and Rincon aren’t happy and request to be put on the transfer list isn’t welcomed. There is very little quality in the market for the sort of budget that I’ve been given so some creative thought is needed.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cl-draw.jpg - a reunion with Anderlecht is on the cards in what should be a relatively straightforward group.

Malaga

Flores suffers an injury that looks likely to keep him out for a couple of months, meaning that El Allouchi - signed as a back-up - is going to get some gametime. It took a while but we eventually managed to win an end to end battle with Gonzalez on form again with a goal and two assists.

Ahhh…transfer deadline day.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-martinez-signing.jpg - After several months of hassling, I eventually get wonderkid Martinez from Middlesbrough of all places.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-slezak-sale.jpg - Slezack’s contract expires next year and he won’t negotiate down from £450k a week, which we can’t afford so PSG’s bid is timely and accepted…although a replacement may be tricky.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-baez-signing.jpg - okay, so this kid was a bit of a panic punt right at the end of the day…but he didn’t cost much, his contract isn’t excessive so if it doesn’t work out - it won’t be the worst piece of business in the world.

I did not enjoy that.

Both Benali and Gonzalez have started the season on fire, as they contribute heavily in both the goals and assists department. I don’t think Drake is going to like it, but Gonzalez looks like he will be the main man this season.
    It’s obviously early days, but two wins from two bodes well, particularly the Malaga game which we came back into after conceding first.
    kolas79 likes this.

7. September 2038

Espanyol
    Benali has to miss out as he fails a late fitness test, but Aitor Flores is not a bad replacement and justifies his inclusion. We were a bit lucky with the missed penalty, but otherwise, another good result and another MoM award and a couple of goals for Gonzalez.

Olympiakos
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-olympiakos.jpg

Drake utterly dominated a pretty poor Olympiakos defence and we should have scored more than we did. Baez makes his debut, and whilst not the toughest opposition, looked at home in the middle of the park.

S
    evilla
    Oh dear…less said about that, the better.

Athletico Madrid
    All things considered, a draw was probably the right result but it was frsutrating that we threw the lead away twice. Perlingeiro bags his first assist of the season. Two consecutive games without a win and the media are already questioning my position this season.

Vallecano
    We needed that after the last couple of games - Gonzalez puts Vallecano to the sword and we should have kept a clean sheet but a ridiculously flukey goal saw them get one back.

Gelsinkerchen
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gelsinkerchen.jpg
    We had to resist a serious barrage at the end of that game, but managed to hold on to record the win which takes us to the top of the group - El Allouchi has his best game in a Barca shirt so far.

Gonzalez has been in inspired form at the beginning of the season, and both he and Benali have been excellent at the top of the team. Both Drake and Flores have been more than able deputies when needed. Other than the strikers, the main supply for the goals comes from the WBL position although provided by Rodriguez so far, rather than Perlingeiro. Having rejected Man City's contract offer in the summer, Drake has been unhappy ever since because he hasn't been sold. Being unhappy, he’s refusing to sign a new contract and could well leave on a free at the end of this season.
    The Sevilla result was a horrible one and we were pegged back in the Athletico game, but it’s still early days in the season.
    Last edited by Edd1920; 16/05/2018 at 09:45 PM.

8. October 2038

Celta Vigo
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-celta.jpg
    Conceding the opener seemd to jolt the team into action and Benali takes full advantage of some poor marking at a set piece to score his first. Hernandez probably won us the points with two one-on-one saves.

Hispalis

Somewhat unhelpfully, Gonzalez injures himself before this game so Drake starts and gets on the scoresheet in a bit of a ding-dong battle which we eventually win. Benali’s two assists cap off a great individual performance from him.

Anderlecht
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-anderlecht.jpg

Rincon seals a fine win with a textbook centre-back’s header from a corner to add to Drake’s early first half effort.

Sporting Gijon
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gijon.jpg

Having defended resolutely after going going down to 10 men, Gijon absolutely gift us the win, with Drake being taken out somewhat recklessly towards the end of the game.

Valencia

I have no idea how we didn’t get at least one goal there - I think we can just file that in the drawer of games titled ‘huh’.

Getafe

The most routine of routine wins that takes us back to second place in the league. Unsurprisingly, it looks like it’s a straight shootout between us and Real again this season.

What a player Benali is, leading both the goals scored and the assists. He and Gonzalez make a pretty formidable partnership and they jointly lead the league’s top scoring charts with 9.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league.jpg

9. November 2038

Rincon announces his retirement at the end of the season as he’s been a valuable stop gap for the last couple of seasons but at the age of 36 and 601 games (and counting…) he probably deserves it. Another replacement to try and find.

Anderlecht
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-anderlecht.jpg
    An opportunity for some fringe, but still quality, players to come in and do a job…which they do, despite Baez’s best attempt to hamstring the effort. Luis gets a fantastic first goal for the club, curling the ball in from 30 yards and El Allouchi makes his mark on the game as well. That win makes it 4 out of 4 and guarantees progression to the knockout stages.

Las Palmas

A Gonzalez assist and Benali goal after just 16 seconds rather set the tempo for a comfortable win, but we should have scored more.

Granada
    Another Barca game, more Benali goals.

Olympiakos
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-olympiakos.jpg
    I’m hoping some gametime from Drake will convince him that he is wanted which will lead to him signing a new contract and he’s performing when he does play, but…

Real Madrid
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-r-madrid.jpg
    Gonzalez’s misses our best chance of the game blazing over from 6 yards in the opening minutes and we just didn’t make any better chances than that. Real seem to be our kryptonite at the moment and we fall further behind them.

10. December 2038

Hospitalet (Spanish Cup, 4th Round, 1st leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hospitalet-.jpg
    Most of the squad is rotated for the cup but it makes little difference as Flores dominates the lower league defence, ably supported by Baez & Drake who pick up the assists.

Villareal

A reasonably routine win with the onlu surprise being that neither Benali or Gonzalez added to their season’s totals.

Gelsinkerchen
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gelsenkirchen.jpg

We drop our first points of the champions league campaign in a disappointing goal-less draw in which they did very well restricting us to long shots only which we couldn’t convert.

Cordoba
    Relegation threatened Cordoba at home should be a comfortable win and it proved that way, although the source of the hat-trick was something of a surprise as Rodriguez picks up 3 from the WBL position. Real Madrid suffer a surprise defeat away to Granada.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cl-draw.jpg- having gone out at the first knockout round last year, an improvement is needed…Monaco are not the toughest draw, but they won’t be a walkover either.

Hospitalet (Spanish Cup, 4th Round, 2nd leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hospitalat-h.jpg
    Another chance for the fringe players and having scored as early as the fifth minute, I thought we’d go and really spank Hospitalet but it wasn’t to be…although the important thing is progression to the next round.

San Sebastian
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-san-sebastian.jpg
    El Allouchi’s sending off puts the result at risk but even with 10 men we dominated possession, although it took some time to turn the possession into a victory. Benali shows his class with a clinical finish from 18 yards.

11. January 2039

Another transfer window opens, so it’s time to look at what’s going on: ST Drake, GK Makengo and CB Rincon’s contracts all expire in the summer. Rincon is retiring, so isn’t so much of a problem. Makengo’s contract is £200k a week which is a lot. I’m considering allowing him to go and pick up a cheaper back-up option on a free - a number of good options are available.

Drake is the biggest headache. Having failed to agree terms with Man City in the summer for his move away, he’s now unhappy and refusing to a sign a new contract. He’s a world-class talent so I am very keen to keep him at the club. However, if he does leave, we have Juan Mas who could step into his shoes for next season but he needs gametime so going out on loan would be the best option for the remainder of this season before, essentially, replacing Drake next season.

Eibar
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-eibar.jpg
    Watching that was like wading through treacle.

Getafe (Spanish Cup, 5th Round, 1st Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-getafe-h.jpg
    A game of firsts as both Sanchez and Garrancho score their first goals for the club in a comfortable result that should guarantee progression.

Zaragoza
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-zaragoza.jpg
    A Benali-inspired thumping win takes us top of the league as Real fail to win at San Sebastien. Those goals take Benali’s season total to 20 goals, 16 in the league, to give him his best goalscoring season in a Barca shirt…and we’re still only in January. That makes it 13 wins in the last 14 games and just one goal conceded in the last 11.

Getafe (Spanish Cup, 5th Round, 2nd Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-getafe-2.jpg
    It’s a good job the first leg was comfortable, as that was a bit of an anti-climax. Real Madrid await in the quarter finals.

A Bilbao
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-bilbao.jpg
    Two awful defensive errors give Bilbao the way back into the game and just as it looks like they’ve done enough to earn themselves a point, Benali tucks away a penalty in injury time.

Real Madrid (Spanish Cup, Qtr Final 1st leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-real-.jpg
    We finally manage a win over Real and it’s a fairly comprehensive one although it took a pretty drastic change just after half time to consolidate the win.

Espanyol
    Once again, Benali is the player that makes the difference although we didn’t play particularly well and were stretched in parts.

Real Madrid (Spanish Cup, Qtr Final 2nd leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-real-h-.jpg
    The formation stays the same, but some fairly substantial tactical changes are made to give us the best chance of progression and an utterly dominant display ensures that we do. We hunted in packs, smothered Real high up the pitch and kept the ball ourselves, all of which meant that it was going to be a low scoring affair.

Valencia await…

Malaga
    Gonzalez’s goalscoring has somewhat petered out recently so Drake starts and he gets his goal. It takes a while to actually seal the win, but it gets more comprehensive the longer the game went on.

What can I say - Benali is just quality. 20 league goals in just 21 games and on top of that he leads the assists charts. Gonzalez has slowed after a very good start and even Drake as a bit part player has been making a significant contribution although the vast majority of his goals have been in the cups.
    It’s pretty obvious that us and Real are head and shoulders above the rest of the league as we’ve already pulled 13 points clear of the chasing pack. We have a pretty poor record against Real, but a fantastic one against everyone else so it may just be a case of hoping Real slip up against the smaller teams which should be enough. The Champions League is the big one though.
    TheBattman and kolas79 like this.

12. February 2039

Mas eventually moves to my old club Inter on loan for the remainder of the season. I’m hoping this a) gives him gametime and b) increases his value.

Valencia (Spanish Cup, Semi Final, 1st Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-valencia-.jpg
    Started slowly…and didn’t really get any better after that.

Sevilla
    It’s fair to say I did not see that coming, but Sanchez’s card didn’t help the cause. The media calls it a ‘fade to defeat’ and…I’m inclined to agree with them!

Valencia (Spanish Cup, Semi Final, 2nd Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-valencia-h-.jpg

Rincon gets the only goal in normal time and the penalty win sees us through to the final, where we look forward to playing…Athletico Madrid. That was not comfortable as we were pushed right to the wire by Valencia.

Vallecano

Oh…one shot, one goal. That was frustrating in a result that sees us lose ground on the leaders.

Athletico Madrid

Gonzalez rediscovers his goalscoring touch as Athletico Madrid barely had a chance in a game in which we were simply brilliant. Benali’s 22nd goal of the season means he is well on his way to hunting down Drake’s (recent history) La Liga record of 27 in a season.

Monaco (Champions League, 1st knockout round)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-monaco-.jpg

The cup strikers; Flores and Drake are restored to the starting line-up, but otherwise it’s a pretty usual team. Garrancho, on penalty duty, makes the most of his spot kick. Slightly frustrating to concede a ridiculous equaliser as a result of overplaying in the 18 yard box.

Celta Vigo
    I’m surprised we conceded two there, but we were playing against a team who sit in sixth place, so clearly not mugs.

All four strikers in double figures thanks to cup rotation and using all three substitutes in most games. There’s a spattering of goals elsewhere, most surprisingly with WBL Rodriguez there with 6…not bad considering he’d only scored 3 first team goals in his previous 11 seasons.
    kolas79 likes this.

13. March 2039

Hispalis
    Gonzalez dominated the Hispalis defence who were just unable to compete with his finishing ability and movement. I was slightly concerned that, having splashed out £44m on the player, he only managed 6 goals in 22 league games least season but he looks like he’s settled in now.

Valencia

Valencia away, was always going to be a tough game so some slight alterations were made which didn’t go to plan…Luis doesn’t help the situation, but in truth the damage was well done by then.

Getafe
    A possession heavy but low quality affair was only lit up with Gonzalez’s fine first half injury time strike.

Monaco
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-monaco.jpg

A draw in the first leg with an away goal gives us a reasonable chance of progression and Flores seals the victory with Gonzalez putting the icing on the cake.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-qtr-final-draw.jpg - no easy games at this stage of the competition but that is a bitch of a draw.

Sporting Gijon
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sporting-gijon.jpg
    Having scored twice in 5 minutes and then missed a penalty, I really thought we’d go on to absolutely spank Gijon but it wasn’t’ to be as we didn’t make the most of the early goals and Gijon changed their formation and tactics to mitigate the damage.

It’s tight at the top.
    kolas79 likes this.

14. April 2039

Granada
    We needed a comfortable win ahead of having to face 3 games against Real Madrid in the next 5. Both Flores and Benali provide a goal and assist each as they continue their fine seasons.

Somewhat fittingly, I go into the league game against the big rivals with it being a milestone.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-1000-games.jpg
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mgr-stats.jpg

Before the game, Champions League qualification is guaranteed for next season and a seomwhat miserly budget of £24m is provided. Makengo, at £200k a week is leaving and it looks as though Drake, on £275k a week can’t be persuaded to stay either, so that money should be put towards the transfer budget and frees up some additional cash in the summer.

Real Madrid
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-real-league.jpg
    This could be a valuable rehearsal for the upcoming Champions League games with Real and as we’re away, a conservative approach is taken. The wingbacks are reigned in, the 2 CM are given defending roles, the space is constricted and again, Real are smothered. They were always going to create chances, but the shots were mostly speculative. A tactical masterclass but Gonzalez’s month long injury is a blow.

Las Palmas
    Las Palmas are the first of the teams in the Real sandwich and wholesale changes are made and, although we had enough chances to win and we should have done, we couldn’t put anything away. Pure frustration, especially after the Real result. Pretty unforgivable not to get a result there after the red card.

Real Madrid (Champions League Qtr Final, 1st leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-real-cl-.jpg

The same tactics that served so well in the league game are adopted for this, which pays off in one respect as we don’t concede and absolutely pepper their goal, hitting the woodwork on four occasions…as the press asks after the game; “How did we not win that?”

Villareal

We’ve been threatening a big win for some time and Villareal just came to town at the wrong time it would seem.

Real Madrid (Champions League Qtr Final, 2nd leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-r-madrid-h.jpg

The reigns are let off a little bit for the second leg, but we stil need to be careful to keep a clean sheet. That was a seriously edgy tense game and Drake only puts the game to bed after Real make some more offensive changes as they push on. We join Chelsea, Benfica and PSG in the Semi’s.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cl-draw.jpg - I have a wretched record against Chelsea in European games with previous clubs, but hopefully this Barca team have the extra quality needed to get to the final.

Cordoba

A win’s a win, but that was from our most convincing performance. Us and Real just keep playing leapfrog at the top of the table so we’ve got hope they slip or up or just keep matching their results as we have the better head-to-head this season.

Eibar
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-eibar.jpg

It did look like its going to go horribly wrong after conceding the early goal, but that just seemed to spur them on as we ended up with a fairly convincing win in the end.

Benali leads the league goalscoring charts with 26 and the assists with 13. Gonzalez sits behind him with 22 goals.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-player-stats.jpg
    Two critical games left to decide the future of the season - we’ve got San Sebastian and Zaragoza both at home to play. Real Madrid also have 2 home games against Villareal and, coincidentally, San Sebastian…I can’t see Real dropping points, so it’s up to us to keep the pressure on.

Last edited by Edd1920; 26/05/2018 at 09:59 AM.
    kolas79 likes this.

15. May 2039

Long term transfer target; CB Luca Franchini is finally signed from Juventus for a fee of £25m and is pretty much a straight swap for the retiring Rincon. GK Makengo and AMC El Allouchi also join in him in retiring at the end of the season.

Chelsea A (Champions League Semi Final, 1st Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-chelsea-.jpg

The more defensive tactics that served me so well against Real Madrid are employed against the team who finished fourth in the Premiership last season. We seem to have cracked the latter stages of the Champions League as Drake proves a point and shows us what we’ll be missing if he leaves.

San Sebastien
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-san-sebastien.jpg

Baez continues his development with a fine performance and a debut goal as he drills in a fine low effort from 25 yards. Benali matches Drakes best league goalscoring season.

Chelsea H (Champions League Semi Final, 2nd Leg)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-chelsea-h.jpg

We did a lot of good work in the first leg so it should be just a case of keeping it solid to get through to the final which was the case. Not the most compelling of games, but the clean sheet sees us through. The Bertrand injury is a shocker - he’s damaged his cruciate and misses the next 9 months, including the Champions League final.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-psg-final.jpg

Athletico Madrid (Spanish Cup Final)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-athletico-madrid.jpg

In all the excitement of getting to the Champions League final and fighting it out with Real at the top of the league, I’d completely forgotten about the Spanish Cup Final. Benali & Drake put Athletico to the sword as we win a surprisingly comfortable one-sided final.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-trophy.jpg

Zaragoza
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-zaragoza.jpg

Real could only manage a draw in the last week of games, so we need just a point against Zaragoza to clinch the title. I’ve said it a few times already this season, but Benali and Gonzalez are simply too good for Zaragoza and put in the kind of performance that has got us into this position in the first place. That win seals a second consecutive title.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-la-liga-trophy.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-player-year-awards.jpg - Benali also wins top goalscorer and Hernandez keeps the most clean sheets in the league.

Ahead of the Champions League final, both Benali and El Allouchi injure themselves in training sessions and will both miss out. Benali in particular will be a massive blow.

PSG (Champions League Final)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-psg.jpg

For some reason, PSG start the game with 3 injured players on the pitch which was odd. We start the game playing the more defensive way that proved successful in the last couple of rounds, although the first half was a pretty dire affair. To force the issue, we changed back to the usual tactic which pretty promptly pays off as Barbosa scores early in the second halffrom distance, Flores adds a second and Drake seals it. This team really does step up for the big occasions but the real victory there was the way we nullified PSG who fail to even record a shot on target.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cl-trophy.jpg

Clearly, that was a rather successful season and we played some really good football to add to the mix. The Supercup, League, Spanish Cup and Champions League represents, comfortably my most successful season - and in some of those competitions, we virtually played a reserve team - but this is a quality team and they make it look easy.

In the end, we had some daylight ahead of Real but for much of the season we were either playing leapfrog or behind them. Sevilla seemed to be my bogey team this year as we lost to them on both occasions we faced them in the league.
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league-table.jpg
    Last edited by Edd1920; 26/05/2018 at 01:22 PM.
    kolas79 likes this.

16. June 2039

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg / I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-year.jpg
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-player-stats.jpg

It’s pretty much there for everyone to see - the players have been outstanding and it’s not a surprise we picked up all 4 trophies this season. Benali and Gonzalez particularly have been simply brilliant at the top end of the pitch but there are plaudits all through the team. Erding, picked up on a free has pretty much forced his way into the first team and Rodriguez has picked up from where Perlingeiro left off last season.

=X=X=X=

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-resign.jpg

So that’s it and the managerial tale is completed - I’ve achieved the goal set out at the beginning of this story. I’ve managed in all the groups and now won the Champions League so it’s time to hang up the clipboard, notepad and pen, resign from the Nou Camp and go enjoy my retirement!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mgr-history.jpg / I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mgr-profile.jpg
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hof-rank.jpg

Slovakia
    Hungary
    Iceland
    (Grindavik - Icelandic 1st Div
    June 16-July 18)
    2016: Prom: 1st Div (2nd) > Prem
    2017: Icelandic Premiership: (8th)
    2018: Upper League Cup (winners)
    Serbia
    Bulgaria
    (Tryavna - Bulgarian Div 2
    July 18 - Dec 19)
    Slovenia
    2019 - Prom: 2nd Lge (3rd) > 1st Lge
    Israel
    Denmark
    (FC Midtjylland - Danish Superliga
    Dec 19 - July 22 )

Scotland
    2020 - Superliga (9th)
    2020 - European Cup (Group Stages)
    2021 - Superliga (3rd)
    2021 - European Cup (1st knockout round)
    2022 - Superliga (1st)
    2022 - Danish Cup (Winners)
    Belarus
    (Neman Grodno - Belarusian Highest League
    July 22 - Nov 22)
    Sweden
    Norway
    2022 - Highest League (13th)
    Austria
    (SV Grodig - Austrian First Division
    Dec 23 - Nov 24 )

Croatia
    Poland
    2024- Austrian 1st Div (4th)
    Czech Republic
    (Slovan Liberec - Czech First Division
    Nov 24 - Jan 28)

Greece
    Romania
    2025 - Czech 1st Div (8th)
    2026 - Czech 1st Div (3rd)
    2026 - European Cup (Euro Cup playoff)
    2027 - Czech 1st Div (1st)
    2027 - European Cup (1st knockout round)
    Turkey
    (Galatasaray - Turkish Superleague
    Jan 28 - Jun 30)

Holland
    Switzerland
    2028 - Turkish Superleague (2nd)
    2028 - European Cup (2nd round)
    2029 - Turkish Superleague (1st)
    2029 - Turkish SuperCup (Winners)
    2029 - Champions League (1st round)
    2030 - Turkish Superleague (1st)
    2030 - Turkish Cup (Winners)
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Belgium
    (Anderlecht - Belgian Pro League
    Jun 30 - Jun 32)

2030 - Belgian SuperCup (Winners)
    2030 - Champions League (Gp Stage)
    2031 - Belgian ProLeague (1st)
    2031 - European Cup (Qtr Final)
    2031 - Belgian Super cup (Winners)
    2031 - Champions League (Group Stage)
    2032 - Belgian ProLeague (2nd)
    Italy
    (Bologna - Serie B
    Jun 32 - May 33
    Serie A
    May 33 - Nov 33
    Lazio - Serie A
    Nov 33 - Dec 35
    Inter Milan - Serie A
    Dec 35 - Jul 37)
    Portugal
    France
    Bologna:
    2033 - Prom: Serie B (2nd) > Serie A
    Lazio:
    2034 - Serie A (7th)
    2035 - European Cup (1st round)
    2035 - Serie A (3rd)
    Inter Milan:
    2036 - Italian Cup (winners)
    2036 - Serie A (3rd)
    2037 - European Cup (Runners up)
    2037 - Serie A (winners)
    Spain
    (Barcelona - La Liga
    Jul 37 - Jul 39)
    Germany
    England
    2038 - Champions Cup (1st Round)
    2038 - La Liga (1st)
    2038 - Spanish Supercup (Winners)
    2039 - Spanish Cup (Winners)
    2039 - La Liga (1st)
    2039 - Champions Cup (Winners)
    Last edited by Edd1920; 26/05/2018 at 02:06 PM.

17. An amazing effort my friend. For some time I have stop playing the game because I was not so sure whether I wanted to continue my long term save with Leeds. Now the fact that you have reached 1000 games inspired me to continue!!
    Edd1920 likes this.

18. Quote Originally Posted by kolas79 View Post
    An amazing effort my friend. For some time I have stop playing the game because I was not so sure whether I wanted to continue my long term save with Leeds. Now the fact that you have reached 1000 games inspired me to continue!!
    You'll get there - stick at it, but it helps when teams like Barca have 60-odd games a season though

I'm quite happy to see the back of this one, I've got a retro 95/96 database I've been dying to start a game with!!
    kolas79 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO