Like Tree100Likes

I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

1. I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

It's Sunday 6th September 2015. I’m 20 years old and, having been released by Everton for not making the grade find myself playing central midfield in a trial game at QPR, hoping to prove myself to the coaches and manager and looking to rebuild a career in the game I love.

Midway through the second half, I land awkwardly while competing for a header. I hear a pop from my right knee and collapse in agony. I’m taken from the pitch to the medical room and seen by the clubs doctors.

The prognosis is bad, I’ve completely torn my anterior cruciate ligament, torn my meniscus ligaments and damaged my medial collateral ligament. I leave the trial devastated, knowing that even at my relatively tender age, a professional playing career is now out of the question.

Fast forward 9 months and I can’t shake my enthusiasm for the beautiful game, or my desire to get involved and I decide to see if managing is as much fun as it looks…

I know I can’t start managing at the top level, but with plenty of enthusiasm and a little FA compensation from the injury, I can afford to travel a bit and make a decision to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Having looked around Europe I figure I am most likely to get a job at the lower end of the ‘Nation Club Co-efficient’ list and split the top 30 nations into 10 groups of 3. I intend to look to manage in one country from each of the groups, hopefully working up to the pinnacle of winning the Champions League with a team from La Liga, The Premiership or the Bundesliga.

Slovakia
    Hungary
    Iceland
    (Grindavik - Icelandic 1st Div
    June 16-July 18)
    2016: Prom: 1st Div (2nd) > Prem
    2017: Icelandic Premiership: (8th)
    2018: Upper League Cup (winners)
    Serbia
    Bulgaria
    (Tryavna - Bulgarian Div 2
    July 18 - Dec 19)
    Slovenia
    2019 - Prom: 2nd Lge (3rd) > 1st Lge
    Israel
    Denmark
    (FC Midtjylland - Danish Superliga
    Dec 19 - July 22 )

Scotland
    2020 - Superliga (9th)
    2020 - European Cup (Group Stages)
    2021 - Superliga (3rd)
    2021 - European Cup (1st knockout round)
    2022 - Superliga (1st)
    2022 - Danish Cup (Winners)
    Belarus
    (Neman Grodno - Belarusian Highest League
    July 22 - Nov 22)
    Sweden
    Norway
    2022 - Highest League (13th)
    Austria
    (SV Grodig - Austrian First Division
    Dec 23 - Nov 24 )

Croatia
    Poland
    2024- Austrian 1st Div (4th)
    Czech Republic
    (Slovan Liberec - Czech First Division
    Nov 24 - Jan 28)

Greece
    Romania
    2025 - Czech 1st Div (8th)
    2026 - Czech 1st Div (3rd)
    2026 - European Cup (Euro Cup playoff)
    2027 - Czech 1st Div (1st)
    2027 - European Cup (1st knockout round)
    Turkey
    (Galatasaray - Turkish Superleague
    Jan 28 - Jun 30)

Holland
    Switzerland
    2028 - Turkish Superleague (2nd)
    2028 - European Cup (2nd round)
    2029 - Turkish Superleague (1st)
    2029 - Turkish SuperCup (Winners)
    2029 - Champions League (1st round)
    2030 - Turkish Superleague (1st)
    2030 - Turkish Cup (Winners)
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Belgium
    (Anderlecht - Belgian Pro League
    Jun 30 - Jun 32)

2030 - Belgian SuperCup (Winners)
    2030 - Champions League (Gp Stage)
    2031 - Belgian ProLeague (1st)
    2031 - European Cup (Qtr Final)
    2031 - Belgian Super cup (Winners)
    2031 - Champions League (Group Stage)
    2032 - Belgian ProLeague (2nd)
    Italy
    (Bologna - Serie B
    Jun 32 - May 33
    Serie A
    May 33 - Nov 33
    Lazio - Serie A
    Nov 33 - Dec 35
    Inter Milan - Serie A
    Dec 35 - Jul 37)
    Portugal
    France
    Bologna:
    2033 - Prom: Serie B (2nd) > Serie A
    Lazio:
    2034 - Serie A (7th)
    2035 - European Cup (1st round)
    2035 - Serie A (3rd)
    Inter Milan:
    2036 - Italian Cup (winners)
    2036 - Serie A (3rd)
    2037 - European Cup (Runners up)
    2037 - Serie A (winners)
    Spain
    (Barcelona - La Liga
    Jul 37 - Jul 39)
    Germany
    England
    2038 - Champions Cup (1st Round)
    2038 - La Liga (1st)
    2038 - Spanish Supercup (Winners)
    2039 - Spanish Cup (Winners)
    2039 - La Liga (1st)
    2039 - Champions Cup (Winners)

June 2016:

I start to make some serious enquiries as to vacancies in Slovakia, Hungary or Iceland. Two clubs catch my eye with managerial vacancies - Grindavik (Icelandic 1st Division) and Soroksar (Hungarian Div II). To be honest, I’ve never heard of either of these clubs (and don’t speak Icelandic or Hungarian) but I figure they’re worth a punt and apply for both.

Astonishingly, I hear back immediately from Grindavik who offer me a one year contract which I accept...

It also means I can add the countries from group 9 as playable leagues.

Last edited by Edd1920; 27/05/2018 at 12:45 PM.
    naterr and KentClark like this.

2. I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-div-ii-table-june-2016.jpg
    Grindavik lie 10th after 4 games, with the board expecting promotion - with only 22 games in the league, there's no time to waste.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-grindavik-squad.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-grind-1st-game.jpg
    My first game is on the day of my appointment, so I get no days on the training pitch. However, my assistant states the squad looks reasonably strong, particularly in wide areas and with a very strong keeper. Despite this, we are short on CB’s however and the squad needs fullback cover.

With no training time, and the players looking suited to a 4-4-2, I’m starting with a defensive mentality and to play this safe:
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-1st-game-match-stats.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-grind-plyr-stats.jpg

1st game and I don't know what the fuss with all this managing lark is - a comfortable 3-0 win with a hat-trick from the very un-Icelandic sounding Will Daniels. We had less possession and made fewer passes but the relative quality of our keeper was clear, and Daniels was clinical. Brought on an extra MC after 70 minutes to see it out, but well pleased with a solid away win to start with.

The rest of the month is equally as pleasing with another 4 straight wins although we were lucky to beat fellow promotion contenders Keflavik. A change in system and tactics after 60 minutes resulted in two goals in the last third of the game but until that point we were woeful.

Name:  June table.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  16.3 KB I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-june-fixtures.jpg

July brings a 2 week transfer window - priorities are at least 1 CB and a RB although the squad could do with improvement in a number of areas.
    Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:33 AM.

3. July 2016:

It was too good to last and June
    ’s good results come to an abrupt halt, partly due to a change of tactics on my part. The middle of the pitch was too open and on too many occasions the opposition simply wandered through. After the first 2 games, I tinkered it to having 3 in the middle, reduced the creative freedom and roaming and, hey presto, a win, and then 2 draws, INCONSISTENT. We should have lost the final game of the month against Leiknir F - down to 10 men in the first half and got battered, GK deservedly MoM.

Honourable mention to Robertsson in the AMR position who has contributed some vital goals and assists this month.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-july-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-july-fixtures.jpg

Transfers - 5 players brought in - 2CM, 1 AML to provide some back up for Jo, a first choice RB and a CB.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-20170311175137_1.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-20170311175142_1.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-20170311175149_1.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-20170311175200_1.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-20170311175206_1.jpg

I'm nearly at the stage where I have enough cover for 2 players for each position, but I'm wary of overloading a semi professional team...I'm being ambitious and optimistic and hopefully building a squad for the Icelandic Premier Division.
    Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:34 AM.

4. August 2016:

Six games this month which will probably determine the likelihood of promotion, including a game against Keflavik in second (home). We are also yet to play KA, league leaders and the top two teams have to play each other as well so someone's got to drop some points there.

Name:  August table.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  16.5 KB I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-august-fixtures.jpg

A quite brilliant run, but we completely fluked at least 2of these games - against Keflavik we only had 2 shots on goal to their 13 and won with a penalty (resulting in a red card) and an OG and the 2-1 win against Selfloss was only won due to a horrendous defensive error and them missing 3 clear cut chances.

But, with 2 games of the league left and the top 2 having to play each other, promotion is a distinct possibility assuming we can hold up our end of the bargain… We seem to have been extraordinarily lucky getting this far and I have serious doubts this squad can be competitive at a higher level.

In other news, I’ve got 2 players to renew their contracts. Unfortunately our very best player, Jo, wants twice what he’s currently earning which is just not going to happen.
    Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:35 AM.

5. Goodluck with this save, I started a career with them ages ago and into my fourth season. If you get rid of Jo he went for near 100k in save and I replaced him with Djorde Panic who is a decent young striker with lots of potential.

Try and work up your junior coaching and you can get some really good regens through every August.

6. September 2016:

Keflavik spank the league leaders at the beginning of the month 3-0 and go top of the league. The first of my 2 games this month comes against KA in second place. If we win, we go ahead and then just have to equal their result in the final game. Keflavik miss the opportunity to become the league champions and unexpectedly lose at home in the penultimate game leaving any 2 of the top 4 with the opportunity for promotion. Here goes…

1-1 against the league leaders and that was only because of a late goal on our part - on its own, that’s a pretty good result but in the grand scheme of things, it’s probably put paid to our promotion chances…

Last day of the season, and things look like this:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-fixtures.jpg

With these fixtures I have to rely on other results going my way, but in my favour both of my rivals are away and in true final day of the season style, I will be paying very close attention to the results of other games.

Selfoss vs Keflavik (1st) Leiknir R vs Ka (2nd) Grindavik (3rd) vs Huginn
    15mins 0-0 0-0 0-0
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-15mins.jpg
    30mins 0-0 0-0 1-0 (Daniels ‘25)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-finalday-30mins.jpg
    Half time 0-0 1-0 1-0 (Daniels ‘25)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-half-time.jpg
    60 mins 0-0 2-0 2-0 (Daniels ‘25, Jo ‘46)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-60mins.jpg
    75mins 0-0 2-0 2-0 (Daniels ‘25, Jo ‘46)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-75mins.jpg
    Full time 0-0 2-0 2-1 (Daniels ‘25, Jo ‘46)
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-day-full-time.jpg

UNBELIEVABLE...somehow neither KA nor Keflavik can manage a win and my two main men do the business for us. I don't quite know how it's happened, as it doesn't feel like we've really played consistently well and had some serious luck, but it would appear we are going up. The squad is likely to need a serious overhaul in order to compete though.

Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:36 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by issteo View Post
    Goodluck with this save, I started a career with them ages ago and into my fourth season. If you get rid of Jo he went for near 100k in save and I replaced him with Djorde Panic who is a decent young striker with lots of potential.

Try and work up your junior coaching and you can get some really good regens through every August.
    I think I'm resigned to losing Jo - he's just asking for too much money. To be honest, I'm not planning on hanging around here, just aiming to move up the groups. Both the managers of Ferencvaros & Debrecen are precarious and they would be a really interesting progression...

Also - did you manage to get them to professional status?
    Last edited by Edd1920; 13/03/2017 at 11:24 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Edd1920 View Post
    I think I'm resigned to losing Jo - he's just asking for too much money. To be honest, I'm not planning on hanging around here, just aiming to move up the groups. Both the managers of Ferencvaros & Debrecen are precarious and they would be a really interesting progression...

Also - did you manage to get them to professional status?
    Not yet, board don't want to risk whilst not making a profit per season and lack of supporters. Even in the Icelandic Premiership since can't get above 5-700 average per season

9. October 2016 - December 2016 :

So, end of season break and time to get the admin-type things sorted and out of the way. First things first - the squad needs strengthening and I need some additional players to come in to achieve 2 players for each position.

Unfortunately one of my stars of last season wanted more than I could afford to renew his contract, so sadly Jo is replaced with a free transfer, Dale Jennings who comes with Championship experience so will hopefully be an adequate replacement:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-jo-profile.jpg is replaced with I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-jennings-profile.jpg.

I also lost my AMR, who was only a bit part player but was a useful stand in, so
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ingolfsson-profile.jpg is to be replaced with I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ingimindurson-profile.jpg for £5.25k.

I’m expecting him to be a rotation option for a couple of seasons, but looks as thought he has some potential, though I am concerned by his low passing stats - I hope this will improve rapidly with age.

Other transfers included quality in terms of a new CB, Hreidersson and CM, Halfredsson both on a free and with Icelandic Premiership experience and a promising RB, Sampsted for £10k:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hreidersson-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-halfredsson-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-samp-profile.jpg

That looks to be pretty reasonable transfer business - only 5 players in, but they’re all either an upgrade on their predecessors or are youngsters with the potential to grow into and with the team. At every job I take, I always try to get players who are in the national set up at either u-19 or u-21 set up and Grindavik have two u-19s. What it does now allow me to do is start upgrading the squad starting with the poorest player in the squad - my backup goalkeeper.

I’m also able to make significant improvements to the staff, bringing in an improved chief scout, assistant manager and physio and use the end of season break to renew 5 players whose contracts are expiring at the end of the next season. I don’t have an aging squad, oldest player is 30 and there seems to be a good balance and versatility to it.

For the first time I have a look at the other job prospects around, which causes me some guilt having just got this team promoted, but perhaps thankfully there are only jobs available in the lower divisions.

November brings the board to my door with the offer of a 2 year contract which I accept and some not too ambitious expectations:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-expectations.jpg

So, the end of season is break is pretty much over but on the same day that pre-season starts, my back up AML (Sigurdsson) gets knee tendonitis and will be out for 4 months - bloody brilliant.

Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:38 AM.

10. January 2017:

2nd January and the board of Directors appoint Kristinn Albertsson as the new chairman. Rather helpfully, not only does he indicate there are no plans for investment at this current stage but also that “…it is his intention to appoint a new manager following the takeover.” GULP…

Ignoring the above, I plunge the team into some intensive training/fitness work ahead of the new season and choose a selection of friendlies against teams I think we can beat comfortably - I’m hoping to build up some momentum and morale before the real business starts.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-january-friendlies.jpg

The friendlies go more-or-less to plan, 3 wins out of 5 and I’m delighted to see that Jennings appears to have taken on where Jo left off, chipping in with some goals. Nothing extra on the chairman’s threat to appoint a new manager so hopefully no news is good news. Due to Iceland’s peculiar league and cup set up, the league proper doesn't start until May, so February, March and April are dominated by the Iceland Upper League Cup, and I'm drawn with the teams below - 4 from the Premiership, 4 from Division 1.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-league-table.jpg

Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:40 AM.

11. January 2017:

2nd January and the board of Directors appoint Kristinn Albertsson as the new chairman. Rather helpfully, not only does he indicate there are no plans for investment at this current stage but also that “…it is his intention to appoint a new manager following the takeover.” GULP…

Ignoring the above, I plunge the team into some intensive training/fitness work ahead of the new season and choose a selection of friendlies against teams I think we can beat comfortably - I’m hoping to build up some momentum and morale before the real business starts.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-january-friendlies.jpg

The friendlies go more-or-less to plan, 3 wins out of 5 and I’m delighted to see that Jennings appears to have taken on where Jo left off, chipping in with some goals. Nothing extra on the chairman’s threat to appoint a new manager so hopefully no news is good news. Due to Iceland’s peculiar league and cup set up, the league proper doesn't start until May, so February, March and April are dominated by the Iceland Upper League Cup, and I'm drawn with the teams below - 4 from the Premiership, 4 from Division 1.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-league-table.jpg
    Last edited by Edd1920; 19/03/2017 at 10:40 AM.

12. February 2017:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-feb-squad.jpg

So, this looks like the squad that’s going to be seeing me through although the transfer window is open for another 5 months. Frustratingly, in true FM style and before the first games begin, I’m dealt a major blow as my first choice keeper Jajalo is ruled out for 4-5 weeks with a sprained ankle. Other than that, Ortiz and Hreidarsson and my two central midfielders Porstensson & Hallfredsson appear to be the other key players.

The team look like they’ve built themselves into a 4-1-2-2-1 formation, which I will try to keep to. I have found with this formation I can get a more attacking/defensive attitude by amending the tactics/roles/mentalities, rather than the formation, but we’ll see - I certainly don’t want to be making wholesale changes.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-feb-formation.jpg

In terms of improvements, I have a bit of a budget and could do with a stronger DM position. If the opportunity arises, some tweaking could be made to improve the squad generally to address the weaknesses identified by the assistant manager:

- lacking decision makers;
    - the overall quality of the passing is disappointing;
    - A leadership void;
    - Not the best squad in terms of jumping.

February looked like this, with the cup table below:
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-feb-league.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-feb-schedule.jpg

My 17 year old winger makes his debut in sparkling style against Haukar with two identical assists, both finished off by Ortiz, tapping in from superb low crosses into the box. I’m pleased to see his passing has increased exponentially already.Despite this, the other two games were disappointing - great to see the clean sheets, but need to address the lack of goalscoring and do it quickly with only 7 games in the league part of the cup.

I also manage to improve the squad bringing in a youngster:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dhaira-profile.jpg to replace I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-majev-profile.jpg

They both had the same current ability but the incoming Dhaira has considerably higher potential.

13. March 2017

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.png I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-results.png

Only three games this month and none of them went particularly well.

My young right back Sampsted provides the only bright spot in a very poor game against Stjarnen and despite having the majority of possession, we didn’t do very much with it and we lose. This happened last season, but we seemed to find a way to get points…looks like our luck is running out!!

Jajalo returns against IBV, and promptly contributes to a horrible mix which provides them an absolute sitter early which we just couldn’t seem to recover from.

I adjust the formation significantly which I did say I didn’t want to, removing the DM against Por and playing 2 up top with a far more aggressive approach. As a result we rediscover our goalscoring touch…and leave ourselves very vulnerable at the back which the opposition take full advantage of, so I appear to need to find some middle ground. I struggle to find a positive, but if there is one, we at least stop the rut for the time being.

My search for a DM gets sorted out, bringing in the vastly experienced Olafsson which helps to, partly, address the leadership/decision making weaknesses in the squad but he is very much a short term solution.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-olafsson-profile.png

In terms of the players, Jennings has been disappointing after his promising pre-season and has delivered the sum total of diddly-squat. No-one has been particularly good, but Frioriksen in the Advanced Playmaker role and Josefsson at LB have been the best of an average bunch so far.

14. April 2017

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.png I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.png

In an effort to try and get the best mix of the attacking/defensive worlds, I’ve kept the same formation, but changed the mentality to defensive, reduced from fluid to structured and have lost some of the team instructions that affect the team shape.

I’m not convinced these changes cause the win, but I try this in my only game in April and come out with a very tight 1-0 against the team in 2nd - a bullet header from my centre back coming in from the corner. The board expectation was not to get outclassed in the League Cup. 4th position out of 8 isn’t too bad, but with more draws than wins, I was perhaps not brave enough in the early games.

With the league starting next month, nothing looks promising - the board want me to battle bravely against relegation, my odds are evens to get relegated and the media have me predicted to finish 11th…a relegation spot.

naterr likes this.

15. May 2017

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

Odd game against Breidablik; they have 17 shots to my 6, 6 on target to my 4, both have 1 clear cut chance so not that different. Again, we the have majority of the possession and take a 2-0 lead. In hindsight, I should have shut up shop, but naively don’t and concede two just after the hour mark. Draw not the worst result for the first game in the Premiership but after being up just the one point is disappointing.

The draw of the Icelandic Cup pits me against Fram, a Division 1 team. Against KR, I change to a 4-4-2 which results in another Ortiz goal and he seems to prefer playing in a 2. Unfortunately, we can’t hold on and the immense KR pressur pays off - another draw.

The transfer window closes, with the only business my young centre-back Leoss going out on loan back to the first division - hopefully for some meaningful game time and some valuable experience.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-leoss-.jpg

Taking into account the relative succes we’ve had with scoring goals with 2 up top, I’ve gone for a 4-4-2 for the next league game against Fylkir who finished runners up last season. We’ll see…and it doesn’t go to plan at all, a 2-0 loss but I do create more chances and both Daniels and Ortiz have more shots on goal.

Next up - a welcome respite from the league with a cup game, although it goes horribly wrong. We were so poor we couldn’t even manage a shot on target over 90 minutes against a team from a league down and another 2-0 loss...morale is plummeting!

My next opponents FH, play a narrow 4-3-3. We’ve not been too good against this formation so I change to a 3-2-1-2 hoping that the back 3 will cancel out their front three and the width of the wing backs will cause issues down the flanks, playing quickly and then direct into the front two. 2 strong CMs and the usual suspects up front should hopefully at least provide the opportunity to provide a good attacking threat.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-tactic.jpg

A creditable 1-1 draw with our goal coming from one of those cross-shots from my wingback that the goalkeeper flaps at. The team don't play exactly as intended, but I have to remember these are still semi-professionals playing against professional players and they are making more mistakes and doing odd things on occasions

For the final game of the month against one of the few teams below me, I keep the same 3-2-1-2 formation, changing the midfield roles to CM(def) who hold their positions better than the BWM I had in previously and reduce the passing from direct to mixed - again, I want the ball won in midfield and quickly sprayed out to the wingbacks. Despite only having the 2 shots and going down to 10 men after 78 minutes 1 on target we finally grab ourselves our first win of the season with a very narrow 1-0 victory.

16. June 2017

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.png I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.png

Reasonable first game of the month against Fjolnir but maintaining the 3-2-2-1-2 is taking its toll, particuarly on the strikers who I don’t have cover for in the squad. Nevertheless, a decent finish from Daniels seals the draw.

Prottur…and for the first time this season, I’m disappointed not to have won despite changing the formation slightly to allow some rotation. Anyway, another 1-1 draw with Ortiz doing the business and we are becoming the draw specialists of the league…7 games played, 5 draws. Despite the draws, I am quite impressed with the form of my 19 year old keeper in both the games and he is definitely a useful backup with the potential to become first choice.

Since it looks like this rough formation is proving quite useful and I’m definitely sticking to playing 2 up front, some new players are required. I find the following on free transfers but they can’t sign until the middle of July. Gyu in particular looks like he could be a valuable acquisition.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gyu-profile.png I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-murun-profile.png

In other transfer related news, I’ve been fending off bids for Jajalo - £49k at last bid.

Another solid game against Stjarnen and another win. That’s now 5 games in a row since going 3-2-2-1-2 without losing, although only one goal scored in each of them and Ortiz has now scored 3 in his last 4 games.

So it’s all going rather well…and then my stupid f******* shortsighted cockwomble of a chairman makes this ill-judged absurd piss poor greedy absorbed altruistic decision…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-jajalo-sale.png

I find a replacement reasonably quickly, but I’m still not impressed with the chairman and he can’t sign until the transfer window opens in any case, another 2 weeks.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sigur-profile.png

A disappointing 2-0 loss to Valur caps off a bit of an up and down month.

17. July 2017

We seem to be having enough shots in the games, but not many on target - I add ‘work ball into box’ and ‘retain possession’ to hopefully help in this respect.

July starts with 3 tough away games.

The IBV result leaves me FUMING - we dominate possession, stats and have by far the better chances, but 2 penalties conceded by the same player results in a loss…and as I’m still a bit sore after the board went over my head for the Jajalo sale, my mood is not improved!

A game against the other promoted team, Keflavik, results in a stalemate, another Ortiz goal who is proving very much my saving grace at the moment and an own goal against Breidablik consigns me to a further defeat.

15th July and the transfer window opens - as well as Gyu, Murun and Sigurjonsson joining, I’ve also bought in a WBL, Borovicanin to provide some cover:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-borov-profile.png

Gyu makes his debut, scores twice and leads us to a fine 2-1 win over KR, giving us our 3rd win of the season and pulling us 7 points clear of the relegation zone which provides some breathing space but with an away game against the league leaders next, the pressure doesn’t ease up.

Quite simply, we get hammered and the less said about that, the better.

18. August 2017

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table-.png I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.png

An edgy win against Vikingur and yet another Ortiz goal, he’s now scored 8 of my 13 goals this season and I’m getting concerned with the number of teams sniffing around him. Given the chairman’s proclivity to sell players under my nose, I’m dreading any formal bids coming in.

In any case, another 3 points and I’m counting the games down now until safety. Against FH, we struggle to do anything. We concede an early goal and basically end up chasing the game from then on. We really struggle in the latter stages of the games, with the players only on part time contracts getting them sufficiently fit / match fit and able to last 90 minutes is proving a real problem.

Fjolnir provide stubborn opposition and despite having the better of the chances - Gyu is guilty of not putting away 2 clear cut one-on-one’s and we end up not being able to break through.

A nice straightforward 2-0 win against the bottom team gives us another vital 3 points towards safety, Ortiz again, and Gyu providing the goals.

The final game of the month sees us take a very early lead through Gyu but again, the mounting pressure and the teams apparant lack of fitness results in lots of open spaces, too much time given to the opposition and they pick us off for the equaliser despite me trying to shut the game down.

19. September 2017

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league-table.png I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.png

I have a number of contracts expiring in 2018, so I take the opportunity to renew the most important for another 2 years. Olafssen is the only first team member of the squad whose contract expires this year, and I’m happy for him to leave.

The final 3 games of the season sees us 9 points clear of relegation. The pre-season projection was that 25 points would be enough to stay up, but it looks as though it won’t be anywhere near that. Prottur R and Keflavik on 11 and 14 points respectively prop up the table.

We just need one point from the final games…

Well, its taken 20 games but for the first time this season we’re completely outclassed courtesy of Valur, who were just better in every department. We’re staggeringly lucky they only scored 2 and we were very lucky to get one with our only shot on target. Let’s hope we can secure safety with the next two games.

A hard fought 0-0 against IBV secures survival defying the odds, and whilst not a sparkling performance, I will take this. It does leave our bitter rivals, Keflavik as the final game of the season. They are still at risk of relegation and need a win to guarantee staying up, so they will be up for it.

Hardly a classic and a second consecutive 0-0. Keflavik can’t do anything and Stjarnen win meaning they stay up at the expense of Keflavik.

The player stats look like this for league games:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-end-season-stats.png

Unsurprisingly Ortiz leads with the way with the goals with 9. No-one else comes close and Gyu, who managed 4, only joined in July. Not much else to shout about, but definitely some scope for improving the squad in the closed season.

What does surprise me is that the reserve keeper, Dhaira, who still played nearly half of the league games, gets the highest average rating.

End of season review:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-end-season-review.png
    Last edited by Edd1920; 28/03/2017 at 08:09 PM.

20. October - December 2017:

My main job during the break is to upgrade the squad as there are a number of positions where I’m a bit weak. I could do with first team quality in the CM and AMC positions and anywhere else if the quality comes up. I’ve also, in my haste to bring in extra players, brought in too many foreign players (Only 3 can be in the matchday squad - I have 5) so if I can replace one or two of them, that would be helpful.

Having said that, an interesting opportunity comes up in the Slovenian League with Rudar Velenje which I apply for:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-valenje-job.jpg

…so I go to the board, they agree a lower compensation fee and Rudar Velenje put my application on hold…In the meantime, I bring in a new WBL to replace one of my foreign influx.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-jonsson-profile.jpg

And, finally, a player comfortable playing in the AMC role and one I have high hopes for. Retraining Jennings to play in the middle only had limited success (0 goals, 1 assist in 21 games) so I’m hoping for much more from Stefansson.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-stefansson-profile.jpg

I also bring in Muldoon, virtually breaking the bank to do so but hopefully gives us real quality and ability in the middle of the park:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-muldoon-profile.jpg

And then this job becomes available…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-moribor-profile.jpg

…I apply, but its unsuccessful. They may be a bit too good for my limited current ability…shame, as this would have been a really good opportunity. Bizarrely, I still haven’t heard back from Rudar Velenje despite applying 2 months ago and they have an interim manager in charge for the moment.

So, friendlies arranged, dead wood lost, new talent brought in, contracts renewed…let’s go.

The opening cup starts with me placed in Group B with the following teams although it doesn't start until February so I have a month to bed the new players in. I've deliberately tried to restrict the numbers in to aid integration, but time will tell as to whether that's successful.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-stages.jpg

21. January 2018

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

The pre-season friendlies don’t go particularly well. Only manage 1 goal in the 4 games, but hopefully just a blip. I had, as with last pre-season, tried to choose teams we could beat and work some momentum into the season proper, but it hasn’t quite worked that way.

My quest to improve the squad continues with another centreback brought in.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-guo-profile.jpg

In addition, I take the opportunity to scout the Iceland U21 and U19 squad for the players out of contract. There are a couple to be offered trials and Gunnarsson, CB and Siguirgeisson, ST are offered contracts:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gunnar-profile-.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sig-profile.jpg

So its all looking rather good, another 2 good prospects bought in. Daniels has been a reliable player for the team, but his performances towards the end of last season weren't good, so I'm hoping to gradually progress Siguirguiesson through.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-leoss-offer.jpg

And then AGAIN, the board decide to go behind my back to accept a bid. Leoss was one of the brightest youth prospects the team had, so I’m more than a little irritated.

I had previously only taken in interest in jobs if they had come up, however I am now going to actively look for other jobs and I am definitely going to be thinking twice about renewing my contract.

22. February 2018

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team.jpg

So this is the squad to start the season with - still 5 months of the transfer window open, so subject to change, but we start with these.
    Gyu is clearly the outstanding prospect here. He looks like he could lead this team for years if he doesn't get poached. Elsewhere, I'm trying to retrain Balbi to a WB role and I have 2 strong CMs.

At the other end of the team, 3 of my lowest rated 5 players are CBs, but do have experience so I'm not desperate to get rid of them at the moment. These may be the players to let their contracts run down and replace them then.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

I start the month, assuming the best, and tie down Ortiz, my best player to a new contract.

All friendlies completed, and they’ve been shocking. Despite playing strong teams against weaker opposition in all of the games, I’ve only managed to win once in 6 games and, even worse, only scored twice - not the preperation I was hoping for before heading into the League Cup stages.

I’m not expecting to pull up any trees or win the group, but progress would be managing more than 9 points and finishing 4th as I did last season.

Very nice opening win, Gyu does the business and takes a bit of the burden from Ortiz in terms of the goalscoring duties. Stefansson provides as many assists on his debut as Jennings managed in 21 last season.

The board provide some expectations for the season which seem reasonable and I have some flexibility with the budget.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-expectations.jpg

I shuffle the team a little for the second game in snowy conditions against IA which may have been a mistake. In any case, a 2-2 draw is not a horrible result, Gyu scores another and Sigurgeisson scores on his debut, both from wide assists. The draw takes me top after 2 games.

Still irked at the board going behind my back, I apply for the 3 jobs currently available. Not convinced I’ve got the experience for any of them, but hey - who knows.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-available-jobs.jpg

Last edited by Edd1920; 01/04/2017 at 02:52 PM.

23. March 2018

Disappointing start to the month. Another Gyu goal, but the rest of the team aren’t stepping up with him.

I fail with my applications to Lokomotiv Gorna & Javor “…in light of the strength of the other applicants of the job…”

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-valur-stats.jpg
    Despite these stats, we come away from a very tough game against Valur with a credible 0-0 draw.

I finally hear back from Rudar following my application last season who, again, can’t come to a compensation agreement with my board. I go to the board, and get told this…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-valenge-rejection.jpg

Now, given they have sold 2 of my most promising players in the last few months, I’d very much like to be able to tell them to shove it where the sun doesn’t shine.

Something bizarre has happened, since Gyu has started scoring prolifically, Ortiz - top scorer last season and general all round saviour of the team throughout the season, has been unable to hit a barn door. If these two ever get scoring at the same time, we could be dangerous.

We have also returned to our titles as draw masters, with another draw against Fjolnir. On the plus side, my Mongolian (don’t think in my entire FM history I have been able to say that before) striker gets off the mark.

And my application for the Serbian team Pivara Celaravo is also unsuccessful.

Leiknir brings us a very tight win, despite playing 88 minutes with 10 men. Having ‘rested’ Ortiz for some games to try and get him to refocus, I bring him back for this and he gets a straight red after 2 minutes…not impressed but we hold on and the win takes us into second, albeit we can be caught by teams below us with games in hand.

24. April 2018

The last game of the league section of the cup, finds us in 2nd
    position. To guarantee one of the promotion spots we have to win against KA, sitting in 5th. We could go through with other results, but I’d rather not have to rely on that.

A cracking Jonsson free kick just before half time gives us a narrow win over KA and guarantees progression to the quarter final from the cup group stage - we’ve already improved over last seasons performance, so anything else from now is a bonus.

The quarter final looks like this:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-qtr-final-draw.jpg

A narrow 1-0 win and some top quality performances from my back 4 takes us through to the semi final…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-semi-final-draw.jpg

…and we’re pitched against the old rivals. We didn’t lose against them last season before they were relegated, so let’s see how we get on.

Took a nice early comfortable 3-0 lead and promptly started to throw it away, thankfully we managed to hold on to get to a 3-2 victory and we’ve surpassed all expectations to get to the final which seems to have caught the imagination.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-preview.jpg

We beat them twice last season, so let’s hope for more of the same…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-result.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-final-stats.jpg

All things considered, that was a pretty horrible performance - we were pretty much outplayed, they missed a couple of very good chances, but my keeper Dhaira was outstanding. By the time we got the extra time, I shut the game down, played for penalties and hoped for the best…

We were ridiculously lucky, but hey - I’ll take a cup win any day!!

25. May 2018

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

The board’s expectations for the coming season are a safe mid-table position. Unfortunately, the bookmakers don’t appear to have much faith in that happening and predict a 10th place finish. That would be enough to keep me up, but given the pretty good finish last season, I would have hoped for better.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-media-odds.jpg

Disappointed to lose the opening game of the season as we had held our own and actually had the better of the clear cut chances but conceded a goal in the 91st minute. Not a great start. I started with Ortiz in the hope that he could break his duck, but he just goes another 70 minutes without a goal.

The 3rd round of the cup pitches us away to non league Huginn, to be played at the end of the month.

Ortiz is dropped for Murun in the only change for my first home game of the season against Fjolnir. Gyu is the saviour, after conceding an early goal, he tucks away a penalty and then turns provider with an absolute worldy of an assist for substitute Sigurgeirsson to tap in from 2 yards for his third of the season and he is proving, so far, to be Gyu’s most prolific partner.

A really solid 2-0 away win against IA brings another goal for Sigurgeirsson, a second consecutive win and another 2 goals.

My plan to rest a number of players for the cup game backfires horribly against Huginn. On the plus side, Ortiz ends his goal drought, however he goes from hero to villain committing a foul to concede the penalty they win from.

26. June 2018

Gyu provides the only bright spot in an otherwise dull game against Valur althought a 1-1 draw belies the number of chances they had with Dhaira, at still only 20 years old, deservedly being awarded the man of the match award.

The first of 4 home games against Stjarnen provides a good opportunity to lay the foundation for some strong results. Unsurprisingly, that man Gyu delivers the goods with 2 goals to earn the 2-1 victory.

Fram provide tough opposition but Murun supplies the breakthrough and we hold on to get another 3 valuable points.

The game against Vikingur looks like it’s petering out to a dull 0-0 draw until the 68th minute when we’re gifted a penalty which Murun tucks away with ease. Unfortunately, only 2 minutes later we gift them an equaliser with our own defence parting like the red sea to give their striker a straightforward 1 on 1 which he slots home, but the draw pushes us up to 3rd so I’m pleased with that.

2-0 down after an hour and it looked like we were going through the motions to lose…then all of a sudden Gyu decides to pop up with 2 goals taking his seasons tally to 12 in just 18 games. Murun adds the other to ensure we finish with a 3-2 win. I’d like to say I feel a bit sorry for IBV, but I don’t. And that win, remarkably, pushes us into 2nd in the league.

27. July 2018

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fisture.jpg

Tough opening game to against FH, the league leaders but Gyu leads us to a 2-1 win with both goals - he has scored 8 of our 14 league goals this season and we would be in a much poorer position without him. Delighted to beat the league leaders, this win puts us top for the time being and its difficult to believe these guys are still only semi-professionals.

I do a bit of scouting round for replacements as Jennings hasn’t been doing the business in the AMC role and these two look like the best of the reasonable choices:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-flosason-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-urbancic-profile.jpg

Urbancic has age, versatility and potential on his side, so looks like my preferred option. An away game against Fylkir in 9th gives us the opportunity to regain the top spot and although Murun gives us the lead after 25 minutes, we can’t hold on, eventually succumbing 2-1.

The games come thick and fast and it’s Breidablik, currently a place ahead of us in 3rd up next. Bit disappointed to come away with only a draw as we had led for a considerable amount of time, but not being able to hold on to the lead seems to be a worrying trait at the moment.

And then - out of the blue, I get approached by Bulgarian 2nd Division team Tryavna. Looking at the squad which isn't even complete, this looks like it would be even more of a challenge than the Grindavik job and I'm being paid less…but…they are a professional outfit, have proper training and youth facilities, and it does move me along in terms of the career, so with a partly heavy heart I take the job.

Overall, I’m very happy with my time at Grindavik and the cup win was an outstanding achievement - my Grindavik stats look like this:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mgr-stats.jpg
    Last edited by Edd1920; 13/04/2017 at 09:44 PM.

28. July 2018

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-welcome.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-preview.jpg

So here we are, newly located in central Bulgaria and having assessed the situation - GULP…it’s worse than it looks and the season preview doesn’t do me any favours.

The team appear to have no history and are newly promoted into this league. There are only 13 players on the books, no reserve squad and no staff so I’ll be virtually building the team from scratch.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-report.jpg

On the plus side, I do have a reasonable amount of leeway in the kitty with lots of the wage budget to play with.

It’s looking as though the tactics are going to be defined by the players that I can bring in - I can’t imagine there is much quality waiting in the wings to come to the Bulgarian 2nd Division and the team itself has very little quality in depth.

First league game is a month away on the 11th August so it’s going to be very busy until then but first things first, and I bring in an assistant manager, Georgi Kostadinov:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kosta-profile.jpg

…and a striker, who frankly, looks too good at this level to pass up:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kore-profile.jpg

In amongst all the transfers and team building, there are the issue of a few friendlies. The first against Dimitrovgrad is a proper ding-dong affair - my new striker scores a hat-trick, but we still manage to lose 5-4.

I bring in a chief scout, who is the best available at short notice as I need some scouting reports done pretty quickly.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-tenev-profile.jpg

I have to strengthen my defence and Zahariev (RB) and Karakostov (CB) come in…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-zaha-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kara-profile.jpg

I change the tactics for the next friendly - albeit slightly - and we lose another one, although only concede the 1 goal on this occasion, so this could be considered a much better result. I am still having to put players well out of position and there is still a real lack of quality, so the friendlies aren’t really giving me much indication of the future of the team although they are getting some fitness.

Another centreback - Karakolev - is bought in along with Iliev (LB) to add some needed depth and, hopefully, quality to the back 4.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-karakolev-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-iliev-profile.jpg

Now reasonably comfortable with the defence, it’s time to bring in the players to improve the midfield. I splurge on defensive midfielders, bringing in 4 new faces…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-nedyalkov-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-zlatanov-profile.jpg
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-angelov-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-radanov-profile.jpg

The last day of the month brings the 3rd friendly and, finally, a win with a very defensive 4-3-2-1 formation, but it looks as though it’s the one I may stick with as the balance appeared pretty good and matches the players I have in so far, although I am lacking in the offensive department.

ShikariFC likes this.

29. August 2018

I bring in another 2 AM, although with some versatility and able to play CM as well

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dimitrov-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kolev-profile.jpg

The first friendly of the month, despite dominating possession, shots on target, clear cut chances and completed number of passes we end up apparently impotent and lose 2-0.

The mass influx of players continues, with 2 new goalkeepers being drafted into the squad, 21 year old Velkov and the more experienced Ganchev:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-velkov-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ganchev-profile.jpg

This the formation I’m going to start with, mainly because it fits the players I’ve managed to attract the club:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-tactics.jpg

And the serious work begins in the league. An opening day draw away to Dobrudzha is a pretty good result even if we couldn’t capitalise on their going down to 10 men after 80 minutes. My shadow striker Dimitrov opens his account.

30 games in the league, and they’re coming thick and fast at the beginning of August. Up next are Tsarsko Selo for my first home game of the season. In front of 343 hardy home (and 1 away) fans, we record our first win of the season. Kore picks up his first from a quality through ball from defence and Zlatanov seals the victory from outside the box in the dying minutes.

The upheaval with the squad continues and despite having brought in 14 new players, I’m still several away from where I want to be. As a general rule I like to have 2 players for each position but this is appearing to be difficult.

The Bulgarian Cup draws us against Lokomotiv Sofia. I’m only expected to be competitive so anything of note in this competition is a bonus.

Despite being deprived of my first choice striker, keeper and 2 centrebacks through injuries and suspension, I pick up a huge away win against Pomorie and the win pushes us into second place with Maksimov opening his account.

Another new CB; Dzharneliov, a ST; and an AM; Apostolov come in to add some depth, though Iliev doesn’t look like a back-up option and looks like he could rotate quite freely up top with Kore.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dzharn-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-iliev-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-apostolov-profile.jpg

I’m concerned that all the players brought in so far have been aging and some youth intake is required so to this end, I start looking at the younger end of the market, particularly as I now have the core of the squad in place.

Disappointing result against Maritsa as I thought we did enough to win the game, but lapses of concentration from corners cost us any points. Particularly irritating as we had the lions share of possession, shots on target and clear cut chances but, for whatever reason, my strikers were unable to capitalise.

Spartak Pleven are up next and Kore pays the price for his wastefulness in the previous game. Iliev comes in to lead the line and a couple of other changes are made for fitness reasons. I also amend the tactics, playing wider and exploiting the flanks to, hopefully, take advantage of the marauding wingbacks. The changes pay off and Iliev scores a powerful header from a left wing cross.

30. September 2018

Nesebar away up next in the hope of continuing the good form. A 7th minute penalty from Dimitrov is the foundation for a good away win. Tactics change to defensive after taking the lead and a second Iliev goal follows just before half time. We shut the game down in the second half and hold on for another pretty valuable away win. Kudos to Genchev for a penalty save as well.

We hold on to 3rd and a fifth of the way through the season we’re making a mockery of the pre-season prediction although that may have been in place before I drafted in an entirely new team. The 3 DMs are providing a really solid base, with the 2WB good attacking support to what is, essentially, a front 3. It looks solid, balanced, seems to play well and gives plenty of passing options.

Transfer deadline day is up and I try and address the lack of youth in the squad, bringing in two 20yr old DMs:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dimitrov-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-grigorov-profile.jpg

Remarkably, although unsurprisingly given the squad inherited I have brought in 19 new players and, judging by the first few games, they do appear to be settling in quite nicely.

A bit of an acid test coming up next against Sozopol, currently sitting one place ahead of me in 2nd place so a good examination of the team, although it goes horribly. We concede an early penalty, then a disastrous own goal and they score a third. Most disappointingly, we barely threaten, but due to other results we actually move up to 2nd place which is nice.

The cup game gives me the opportunity to blood some of the squad players against a team from the first league. We concede what was, to be fair, to a very well worked goal after 17 minutes. My centreback Dzharneliev powers in from a corner to restore parity and then, having made all 3 substitutions in an effort to win the game, the same player is taken off injured leaving us to play the last 10 minutes with ten men, which they take full advantage of and despite adjusting the mentality and tactics, quickfire goals in the 88th and 90th minutes consign us to a 3-1 loss.

Having lost 2 in a row, we have a home game against Lokomotiv Gorna next, currently sitting in 13th position in the league. Bit of a 0-0 bore draw and in truth we hardly looked like scoring, but it’s another point and stopped the losing rut for the time being.

Scoring goals seems to be our biggest weakness, in 8 games we’ve scored just 7 (joint lowest in the top half of the league). In an effort to do something about this, I change the tactic at the top end of the pitch to 2 up top for the next game, home to Etar who start the game in 9th position.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-4-3-1-2-tactic.jpg

…which has no influence whatsoever on our goals scored column, with the game petering out to a second consecutive 0-0 draw with now just 3 goals scored in our last 6 league games.

31. October 2018

10th game of the season to Oberishte, and in an attempt to halt the slide we’re currently suffering from I revert back to the original 4-3-2-1 for the away game. I make a couple of changes, altering the strikers role from poacher to advanced forward and change the advanced playmaker from support to attack to try and take advantage of Kore’s relative pace. I also change the mentality to counter with more direct passing, add a ‘pass into space’ instruction and ‘exploit the middle’ to try and encourage through balls that Kore can get on the end of. As it happens, one of my DMs, Dimitrov, scores his first goal of the season to grab a draw.

Another away game, this time to Botev Vratsa, currently sitting in 15th. I keep the changes made ahead of the previous game and Iliev gives us a deserved lead, unfortunately we can’t hold on and concede an equaliser with just 4 minutes left now making it 6 games without a win.

A home game against the bottom placed team should provide some relief, but with our current form, it’s definitely not guaranteed. At the 7th time of asking, we finally record a win through Kolev who scores his first goal for the club. Despite the recent poor form, the win pushes us up to 4th, just 4 points off the top spot.

32. November 2018

A home game to another team currently in the relegation zone. Another Dzharnaliev goal gives a very narrow 1-0 win and the tactical changes made seem to have been effective in the last couple of games. Whilst we’re still not scoring many, we’re not conceding all that many either.

I bring in a couple of English youngsters available on a free transfer partly to bulk up my useless reserves team and partly in the hope they can realise their potential.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-harrop-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dixon-profile.jpg

An away game to Pavlikeni, currently sitting 2 places below me come up next. Despite having the better of the first half, my RB Zahariev concedes a penalty on the brink of half time althoguh thankfully, Velkov, the young goalkeeper, spares his blushes and saves it. The second half looks like it’s petering out so I make a couple of changes, adjust the mentality and take a gamble, however to no avail as it finishes goal-less.

Home game to Spartak Varna and and outstanding performance from Dimitrov with 2 goals, gives us a comfortable win and he becomes my top scorer for the season. In fact, it could have been far more comfortable as we hit the woodwork on 4 occasions.

Overall, a really pleasing month with 2 wins out of 3 and no goals conceded...not many scored, but enough.

I’ve started to look at the January transfer window and look to bring in a new goalkeeper and attacking midfielder as upgrades to my current squad:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sashev-profile.jpg to replace I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ganchev-profile.jpg and

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ivanov-profile.jpg to replace I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-milev-profile.jpg

I also need to look at bringing in new CB and RB, so they will probably be the priority for December in terms of players.

33. December 2018 - February 2019

Only 2 games in December and then it’s the winter break until March so let’s hope for a good end to the year.

Tsarsko Selo up first, away. Apostolov has an interesting game, scored his first for the club in the 50th minute, gets sent off in the 52nd and we go to contain the game. Kore, on as a second half substitute adds a second and we seal the win which takes us top of the league.

Kore then tears a hamstring in training and faces 3 months on the sidelines. As it happens, Iliev has been the better of the two in any case, and the injury is over the winter break so will hopefully be fit to return after the break.

A home game against Dobrudzha up next and despite the win only being 3-1, this is our highest scoring game this season. Iliev gets another, Kolev gets one and Angelov taps in from a yard out to get his season up and running. We haven’t scored many compared to other teams in the league, but happily the goals are being shared around the team with 9 different goalscorers so far and 10 players providing assists.

We go into the break top of the league and 4 points clear so the job over the break is to improve squad where possible and renew any contracts that need it.

My scouting team bring my attention to Velinovski, a Macedonian U-21 international centre-back who comes with the instruction to sign whatever the price, so given my lack of depth in that position, I do.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-veli-profile.jpg

January brings the board to my door with the offer of a new contract which I accept - another year to see what we can do.

My scouting team also find Shadow Striker, Dimitrov who looks like a talent, so I pick him up for a fee of £5k.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dimitrov-profile.jpg

It now brings the number of Dimitrov’s in the squad to 4 which is starting to get somewhat confusing.

My busy transfer window continues and after bringing in Danish centreback Westmark for a 2 week trial, he does enough to persuade me he’s better than the worst CB, Dzharneliav,so he is brought in.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-westmark-profile.jpg

Two friendlies before the start provide a straightforward win against Bali 2002 with them lucky not to concede more in a game we dominated. A second match against local team Chindia, doesn’t quite go so well, and we only grab an equaliser after 85 minutes with hardly any chances made during the game.

The transfer window closes at the end of February so all business is done. 5 first team players brought in, all improvements on the current squad, so I’m hopeful the extra quality can provide a push to the end of the season. My aim was to bring in a CB - I managed 2, and a RB - which I couldn't manage, so I am unfortunately weak in this area.

34. March 2019

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.jpg

Back to it after the break and 13 games left to see what we can do.

I'm pretty happy with the squad strengthening done over the break and its down to business again.

Home game against Pomorie up first, currently sitting in 9th and an outstanding hat-trick from my AM Dimitrov is the basis for a dominant 4-1 win. My DM Dimitrov scores the 4th and it allows me to blood 2 of the new signings with Westmark and Velinovski putting in solid performances in the back 4. The margin of the win also allows me to give some game time to my 18 year old left back, Dixon for his debut.

The next result brings us crashing back to earth with a 1-0 defeat to Maritsa. In truth, we were never really in it and we were,frankly, beaten by the better team although still stay 4 points clear.

A real top of the table clash next as we come up against Nesebar in 3rd place which gives us a real chance to put some distance ahead of the chasing pack. The game starts horribly with my DM Nedyalkov given a straight red off after just 90 seconds. Given the numerical disadvantage, the final 0-0 result is not a bad one, in spite of having enough chances to put the game to bed.

My RB Zahariev who has been widely ridiculed by my own fans this season scores the first and Kore knocks in a late second to give us a reasonably straightforward win at home to Sozopol.

A look at the difference between my home and away form is quite telling with the results away not being great - this is worrying since the majority of the remaining games are away now.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-home-form.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-away-form.jpg

I end the month bringing in Senegalese U21 international, Ibrahima Gueye to add some steel to the centre of the park. The fans seem pleased with him and the press are already stating he's too good for the club and will be snapped up by a bigger team - let's just hope he puts in some performances for us first...

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gueye-profile.jpg

Last edited by Edd1920; 20/04/2017 at 09:48 PM.

35. April 2019

Apprehensive about the number of away games coming up as we haven’t played particularly well away, but we start the month against Spartak Pleven…Gueye has an outstanding debut in the centre of midfield and a stunning last minute strike from Kore rescues a 2-2 draw.

Lokomotiv Gorna, currently sitting in 12th up next. and Kore, having scored 2 in 2 appearances will start. The Dimitrov’s do the business with my DM Dimitrov getting his 2nd of the season and AM Dimitrov putting away his 8th and leading the team to a 2-1 victory in front of just two hardy fans…I hope they travelled together.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gorna-attendance.jpg

Home game against Oberishte, currently sitting joint top of the league with us but, unsurprisingly, ahead on goal difference given our relative lack of goals scored but despite this, I am asked to take a team meeting to give words of encouragement to ensure our survival - which I did, and it went well, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-meeting.jpg

Despite an early goal from Kore, we can’t hold on and eventually lose having come under serious pressure…in fairness, we were only the better team in parts and didn’t play well enough over 90 minutes to get anything out of the game. Oberishte take a 3 point lead with 6 games of the season remaining.

The games don’t get any easier and an away match to Etar in 4th place is up next. We utterly dominate but somehow can’t turn this into goals. Kore scores one early in the first half, but that’s it and, whilst we hold on for the 3 points, it would have been nice to converted another couple of the many chances we had. Oberishte win their game, so the gap at the top remains 3 points.

36. May 2019

A tight win against Botev Vratsa, courtesy of a Dimitrov goal as the game was nearing an end, gives us a pretty good 3 points. This is made to look even better at the top of the table as a result of Oberishte losing and we’re back to being all square on points again.

Rilski Sportski, currently sitting in the relegation zone up next and yet another away game. I have to change the formation as we’re down on players with suspensions and Gueye being called up for international duty, but hopefully we have enough to get the job done. Kolev gives us the lead within 3 minutes although this doesn’t last long with an equaliser coming after 9 minutes. They score again to take the lead just after the hour although Iliev rescues us a point with a goal in added time after we throw the kitchen sink at them.

A takeover provides a little interest during the month, although the new chairman makes no promises for investment, but on the plus side, he does at least give me a clean slate to work from.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-takeover.jpg

Away to the bottom team and a comfortable win is predicted, however we still have a number of suspensions and injuries, so it’s hardly a foregone conclusion. A completely frustrating game and we missed a hatful of chances, particularly in the first half, meaning that the game ends 0-0.

100 games up

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-100-game-record.jpg

Up against the team currently sitting in 2nd position; Pavlikeni who are on a very good run. If we couldn’t beat the team at the bottom…well, we’ll see. A goal fest of a first half means we head into half time at 2 a piece with Kore and Kolev doing the business for us. No further goals, despite a fiesty second half in which both teams are reduced to 10 and making changes to try and nick the win.
    Last edited by Edd1920; 22/04/2017 at 11:24 PM.

37. June-July 2019

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.jpg

Final game of the season away to Spartak Varna in 4th. We’re guaranteed at least a 3rd place finish so considering the pre-season expectation of relegation, this is already a very successful season. Suspensions mean I am missing both fullbacks and a key DM position which does not make this any easier and we just don’t turn up and lose 1-0 and, to add insult to injury, put in a very poor performance…not impressed.

However, we have a second chance, as, courtesy of finishing 3rd we end up in the playoff draw, pitching us against Pavlikeni who we haven’t managed to beat this season. Both Lokomotiv Sofia and Botev Plovdiv from the first division are in the other half of the draw.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-playoff-fixtures.jpg

Dimitrov gives us an early lead and Kore adds a second mid-way through the first half. Iliev adds a third with one minute left and despite being dominated in every key area, we pick up a very good 3-0 win. Even more pleasing than the result is my 18 year old left back; Dixon, picking up man of the match courtesy of 2 assists, but the result means a promotion which, as the board acknowledge, is an unbelievable achievement.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-response.jpg

We were expected to get relegated, but having brought in a completely new squad (29 players brought in, alhtough only £5k spent), with some real quality compared to the rest of the league, actually being near the top is probably a fair reflection - although promotion is something of a surprise. I’ve run the finances a bit tight with the contracts, but not gone in excess.

My 20 year old Dimitrov wins the young player of the season award and I’m given the manager of the season which is nice as a personal accolade.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-manager-season.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-end-season-awards.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg

The promotion means we need some additional quality to be brought in, so it’s looking like another busy summer break and the first new recruit is a CB, Ganev:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ganev-profile.jpg

A new RB, Kremenliev is brought into the squad along with a new AM, Penchev, whose stats don’t look great but he is highly recommended by the coaching staff so we’ll wait and see how he gets on;

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kremenliev-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-penchev-profile.jpg

That addresses the 2 really weak spots we had, so I’m not looking to bring too many more players in unless someone too good to turn down becomes available.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-preview.jpg

Probably unsurprisingly, the seasons preview has us favourites to be relegated, although due to the nature of the league, the relegation places seem to be complicated by the league splitting into two groups and then a relegation play-off.

AM Dimitrov and 3 DMs; Zlatanov, Angelov and Nedyalkov get their contracts renewed along with Kore and Peychev.

Last edited by Edd1920; 23/04/2017 at 05:52 PM.

38. August 2019

So, first game in the relative big time of the Bulgarian First League for Tryavna. Up against Dunav who finished 4th last season, so let’s see how we get on. A 0-0 draw, although we didn’t create too many chances and the chances we did forge fell to the wrong players unfortunately but, still, a point is a point and it gets us up and running.

However, a far harder task is in store next with CSKA Sofia away.
    So, with one of the more familiar names in Bulgarian football to contend with, the gulf in stature of the two teams is clear

I play the first half full on contain. Concede an own goal after just 4 minutes, then a second after 33. Had a couple of shots, but struggling to make an impression. I change it to counter in the second half although this plan shortly goes up in smoke as Apostolov gets sent off just 3 minutes after the break. Dimitrov scores one in the 68th minute and, despite having 10 men, the team produce a far improved second half performance so, although we lose, actually that’s not a bad result.

The Bulgarian cup draws me against the so-good-they-named-them-twice Svilengrad 1921 Svilengrad from the 2nd league. Having gone out at the first attempt last season, it would be good to improve on that this time round.

The title holders Ludogrets are up next at home. Kore has been shocking in the 2 games he has started, so he comes out for Iliev and a couple of other changes are made. We restrict them to pot shots from outside the box for the first half hour and thanks to a 31st minute Iliev goal, come into half time 1-0 up. The second half provides no further excitement so, remarkably, we record our first win of the season in front of a record 1,167 spectators who, according to the supporter spokesman were “dancing long into the night” after the game.

Another away game, and Vereya are up next. We concede an earlyish goal on the 19th minute, then Dimitrov equalises with a great direct free kick from 25 yards. Unfortunately we concede another 2 before half time and a fourth shortly after the break. Yordanov completes his hat-trick for Veraya to make it 5 for them and its turning into a nightmare. Kore comes on for Iliev and makes an instant impact scoring in the 71st minute. The 5-2 final score is awful and a reminder to the team of the increase in quality we’re now facing, but I don’t think the scoreline is a particularly fair reflection of our performance as we weren’t that different with the match stats.

Slavia Sprague provide stubborn opposition but we play the game perfectly for 88 minutes, playing on the counter and using Kore’s pace to burst through the middle against their centre-backs. We take the lead on 49 minutes and hold it to the 88th when a horrible goalkeeping error hands them the equaliser when Sashev drops a corner leaving an empty net for the ball to be tapped into.

All things considered, that's not a bad opening month and we find ourselves sitting in mid-table at the end of the month.

39. September 2019

I lose Gueye, who has been an integral part of the jigsaw so far this season, as he goes off with the Senegal U20 squad for international matches.

My quest to improve the U21’s continues, with Croation youth international coming in to strengthen the team.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-bate-profile.jpg

A two week rest for the international break means only 4 games to play this month with my fellow promotionees (??); Oberishte at home first. The transfer window closes with me fending off bids for Iliev although I do accept bids for reserve player Ivanov who leaves the club.

If we’re to stand any chance of staying in the division, it’s the similar clubs to me we have to get results against, so bearing this in mind I go all out attack for the first half hour of the Oberishte game which brings its rewards as Dimitrov scores on 20 minutes. After that, I shut up shop, and hold on to the win.

A c
    up game up next and, while I want to give some fringe players the chance, I don’t want to risk going out too early so I only make 4 changes to the team that beat Oberishte and play safe, starting with a defensive mentality. Apostolov scores early in the first half to give us a great start, then Dixon concedes a penalty shortly after. We don’t create enough chances so I change mentality to counter for the second half and my centreback Karakalov scores from a well worked set piece and we hold on to seal the victory and ensure progress to the next round which pitches us against Oberishte…again…

A home game to Beroe, currently sitting in 2nd place up next. A scrappy mistake filled game with very few chances results in a pretty poor quality goal-less game.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-weak-list.jpg

I’m constantly looking to upgrade the squad, and top of the list is my AM Apostolov to be replaced and Ivanov looks like the favourite, despite being injured. His good, for this league, passing and vision stats are backed up by reasonable work rate and decision which are attributes we are currently short of. Once I’ve adjusted the budget, the issue of affordability should be resolved.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ivanov-profile.jpg

However, Rozova dolina reject, first, an enquiry then 4 bids, the last of which was £20k as they want nearer £50k.

Away to Levski Sofia, currently propping up the table and Dimitrov gives us an early 3rd minute lead. We ride our luck a bit and they hit the woodwork a couple of times, but we hold out for 3 pretty valuable points.
    ShikariFC likes this.

40. I'm enjoying this a lot. Looking forward to seeing what's next, I like the premise of your journey!

41. Quote Originally Posted by Sammuthegreat View Post
    I'm enjoying this a lot. Looking forward to seeing what's next, I like the premise of your journey!
    Glad you're enjoying it - I've always had saves where I've been at one club for ages, so jumping around the countries is a bit of a change but it is quite good fun. I'm just hoping at some point I get to manage a club I've actually heard of!!

42. October 2019

An early game in the month against Lokomotiv Plovdiv and then another 2 week international break. Yet another 1-1 draw, although we were rather fortunate with Dimitrov scoring his fourth of the season with our only shot on target although the draw comes at a cost as we lose DM Grigorov for 3 months as a result of ‘tackling’ in the game.

I’m quite liking the fact that every one of my games so far has been televised, bringing in £6.6k per game Given that my current wage figure is £5.3k, the TV money is essentially paying the wages of the squad and, at the moment, an overall balance of just over £100,000 which seems healthy.

I have a quick scout around the job-centre in the meantime although there’s nothing available. Varde IF and Rishoj in the Danish 2nd divisions have managers whose status’s are very insecure & insecure but other than that, nothing of interest.

A disappointing loss to Cherno More, but in truth we were outclassed by far superior opposition. A goal just before halftime and another when we were pushing for an equaliser consigns us to a 2-0 defeat.

I get a bit confident against Montana who are sitting in the relegation zone, and start with an attacking mentality. We concede a goal and play an awful 25 minutes. I realise the error of my ways, and trim it back to defensive which immediately pays dividends as Iliev scores. Montana are reduced to 10 men on 75 minutes and I bring on an extra forward, Kone and move to 2 up top to try and take advantage to no avail as it finishes all square.

Despite taking a lead through through an Iliev penalty in the 17th minute, we can’t push on and concede 2 others against Botev Plovdiv.

43. November 2019

A tough opening game of the month against Neftochimic currently sitting in 2nd position, made even harder due to the injury to my top scorer Dimitrov who is currently out for 2-3 weeks with an abdominal strain. However, Gueye steps up and spanks in an opener from 25 yards out and given I picked him up on a free, he’s really starting to look like a player. However, again, we can’t hold on and end up with our 6th draw of the season and the fourth 1-1.

Name:  draws.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  20.6 KB

We’re halfway through the season and this result leaves us in 11th, 6 points clear of 12th but with only 3 points between us and Cherno More sitting in 5th, the mid table is pretty tight.

Cup game - Oberishte - lost 3-0 - enough said.

Another disappointing result against Dunav sees us lose 2-0, again with barely a whimper. It’s not so much the losing games I’m irritated by,I was expecting that as a newly promoted team, it’s the manner of the defeats and the fact we’re barely putting up a fight sometimes.

Another international break hopefully allows the players some time to reflect and come back refreshed although league leaders CSKA Sofia aren’t the easiest of opponents to come back to. At least my top scorer Dimitrov is back from injury but to no avail as we suffer a third successive loss, and more worryingly, a third successive game without scoring and a pretty poor month result-wise.

I then notice that a couple of Danish superliga teams have lost their managers and would provide good opportunities so I apply for the vacancies at Randers and FC Midtjylland.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-job-availability.jpg

44. December 2019

And the games don’t get any easier as we travel to Ludogrets, the champions and the team currently sitting in 2nd place. Another 2-0 defeat, although the performance was much improved compared to previous games. Worryingly, that’s 10 games since we tasted victory and 4 since we scored and with Levski and Montana in 13th and 14th respectively, we are being well and truly dragged into the relegation zone.

I hold a team meeting in order to raise spirits, which appears to work with my assistant manager reporting the meeting as a huge success so let’s hope that improves morale which translates to improved performances.

The Randers fans don’t appear to want me…so I guess that’s put paid to that move!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-randers-fans-view.jpg

HURRAH…finally a win and whilst we seem to struggle in parts, the 2-1 victory over Vereya is far more important than the manner of the victory. An own goal from their keeper in the 57th minute seals the win for us with assists from both fullbacks and a MoM performance from my RB Kremenliev.

Well, it turns out Randers may not want me, but FC Midtylland do…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fc-midtylland-approach.jpg

which I have no hesitation in accepting to selfishly further my career, and with a 400% wage increase, also my wallet. It feels a bit like I’m deserting a sinking ship (which I kind of am), but I was never going to be here for a long time and I think I’ve overachieved given the quality of the squad and the infrastructure.

My Tryavna stats:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-tryavna-stats.jpg

45. Name:  FCM Logo.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  11.7 KB

December 2019 - February 2020

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-appt-summary.jpg

Just looking at the squad shows this a serious step up in quality, with a squad littered with full internationals, experience and a significant wage budget compared to my previous two jobs. I don’t have an assistant manager, but otherwise the backroom staff are strong and the youth set up in good condition as well.

Since winning the Superliga in 2014/2015, the team have finished 3rd and 2nd for the past 3 seasons so this is clearly a strong team. The team were languishing in 11th on my appointment which may partly explain Jess Thorup’s sacking.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league-positions.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-squad.jpg

The squad looks pretty strong, although I do have 8 CB’s in the first team squad which seems excessive! I bring in Kenny Black as my assistant manager, and then it’s down to business.

My first game is in the European Cup against CSKA Moscow, although judging by the group table it’s been a pretty disastrous campaign:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-cup-table.jpg

This is my first foray into European football and with, literally, nothing to lose it’s a good chance to get an idea of the team and since I don’t like strikerless formations and have never been successful with a lone striker, I’m going to try with a possession based 4-1-3-2 formation. In time I’m hoping I can be a bit more creative/adventurous with the better players, but we’ll see.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-formation.jpg

The game goes pretty well, we dominate possession, numbers of passes etc, but it’s not until I tweak the formation to a 4-1-2-1-2 that we make the break through with goals from Mathew & Maiga in the dying minutes.

I keep the same formation that finished the game against CSKA to face Viking in the ‘battle of the heath’ derby…Nicolaisen scores from a narrow angle after the keeper drops the ball at his feet and them Olsson, playing in CM, drills one in from the edge of the box. A real feature of this formation, and the quality of the full backs means they are having plenty of time to produce the goods. Unfortunately, we can’t hold on and concede two, meaning the game finishes all square.

A long winter break means no more games until February, but a good opportunity to strengthen, although I’m not sure the squad needs that much. I lose my winger Wilkhelm to a £1m offer to Sochaux, and use the money to bring in Keita as first choice DM along with Serbian youngster; Djerlen.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-keita-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-djerlek-profile.jpg

I also bring in another Serbian youngster, Mehmedovic who had been on trial.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mehmed-profile.jpg

Another player comes in with Manchester Utd youngster Tuanzebe, unhappy with his playing time, and available at a cut down price - if he can achieve his potential, he is going to be some player at this level.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-tuan-profile.jpg

I also lose my first choice Kristensen to Lazio for £1.8m so probably too good to turn down, especially since he requested to leave although it leaves me short in the RB position so at very short notice I bring in Ukrainian U21international Malinovsky.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mali-profile.jpg

I’ve done far more business than I was intending, so I just have to hope now that it doesn’t disrupt the team for the remaining games after the winter break.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfers.jpg

2 friendlies before the hard work starts with a pretty reasonable draw against OB and then a very tight 1-0 win.
    First league game after the break away to AGF and 3 players are lined up to make their debuts; ST Djerlek, AM Mehmedovic and DC Tuanzebe. Djerlek’s pace gets him through for a 1 on 1and gives us the lead on 7 minutes, although we concede from a corner to make it equal at half time and it stays like that.

Last edited by Edd1920; 06/05/2017 at 05:20 PM.

46. Name:  FCM Logo.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  11.7 KB

March 2020

A tough game against league leaders Kobenhavn awaits, however the first thing I do this month is have a look at the contracts. Only Maiga’s contract expires at the end of the season and as the top wage earner, at 32 and not really fitting into the system, I’m happy for him to leave and I start looking for an Advanced Forward to replace him…ideally one whose contract is expiring so I can save some money!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-pot-af-transfers.jpg

I make an initial play for Antonsson, though his wage demands are twice what I can afford so my second choices Vera and Rivero are approached

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vera-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-rivero-profile.jpg

I’ve been rejecting loan offers for Djerlek since I signed him, but as he offers something different i.e. pace, I’m very reluctant to let him go.

Against Kobenhavn, Djerlek and Tuanzebe keep their places, but Mehmedovic is replaced by Mathew after a poor performance in the last game and top scorer Onuachu is restored to the starting line-up as well. It’s he who comes closest in the first half, hitting the bar after some fantastic work in the midfield. I bring on Maiga after 60 minutes for Djerlek and take off the ineffectual Mathew. Maiga goes on to score one of the goals of the season, however they reply quickly and then a late goal from Kobenhavn’s top scorer resigns us to a defeat.

I renew the contracts of a couple of youth prospects; Damkjaer & Christensson:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-damk-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-christen-profile.jpg

We don’t have long before the next match, at home to Sonderjyske and, despite only having the one shot on target, we somehow do enough to scrape the win with Djerlek making the vital contribution from the bench.

2 games in 3 days up next, with the first being against Lyngby, sitting bottom of the league. Maiga powers in a header from a left wing cross and we hold on to confirm the victory. Unfortunately I lose my LB Ibsen to injury and for the second game in a row, my CB Nicolaisen is awarded MoM.

Despite absolutely battering FC Roslkilde, a division lower, they score two goals just after half time and although we pull a goal back through Onuachu, in by far the most frustrating result of my tenure so far, we go out of the cup without so much as a whimper. If there is a positive, Onuachu scores his first goal for, remarkably, 18 games.

And now I’m out of the cup, the last game of the regular season is away to FC Norsdjaelland. A 0-0 sounds dull, but the scoreline is deceptive as both teams had more than enough chances to win the game.

The league now gets split into promotion & two relegation groups with us in Relegation group B along with Sonderjyske, Viborg FF and Silkeborg FF although the first game isn’t for a couple of weeks.Rivero confirms his arrival after finally agreeing contract terms.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-full-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

47. April 2020

The game aganst Silkeborg starts very badly, conceding a goal after just 19 seconds. A ding-dong first half means it’s 2-2 at half time, with Djerlek scoring, then Maiga putting in an equaliser just before half time. Just after half time, Mehmedovic scores his first for the club with a brilliantly placed strike from outside the area and we hold on for the 3-2 victory.

An away game against Soderjyske and a slight change in formation, going to a flat midfield 3 rather than a diamond 4 to provide some extra strength in the middle, although this doesn’t go to plan and despite changing it back to a diamond 4-4-2 at half time, we just can’t seem to to anything positive at all and lose, eventually, to a 72nd minute winner.

A disappointing result against Viborg, as despite them taking the lead we dominate in every other area, but can only get the one goal back through Djerlek as he scores his 4th of the season. Silkeborg awy up next and I’m hoping we don’t concede 3 again, we could do without that. A first half lead is taken through Djerlek before a ridiculous defensive mishap hands them an equaliser. Maiga has a shocker, misses a penalty and a couple of clear cut chances and just as I’m contemplating taking him off, he pops up with a goal to give us the lead and it stays 2-1.

Mehmedovic has a fine game, gets an assist creates several chances and is named in the team of the week.
    Considering Djerlek and Mehmedovic both came in on free transfers, I’ve been delighted with their form so far.

48. May 2020

Kobenhavn retain the title with 4 games to spare and by some distance so we’ve got some catching up to do if we want to get closer to the top in the next couple of seasons.

Djerlek continues his fantastic run in front of goal scoring in the 7th minute against Sonderjyske. Unfortunately Nicolaisen concedes a penalty with a clumsy challenge and we go into the break even and despite being dominated in the second half, we keep it to 1-1.

I make another bid to sign Antonsson, which is successful this time as he’s reduced his wage demands, so with Rivero that’s a new improved forward line to come in:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-rivero-profile.jpg
    I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-antonsson-profile.jpg

Another game against Viborg, the final game of the season and it’s the worst game I’ve ever had the misfortune to manage as the players already seem like they’re on their holidays. 0-0 and just 3 shots on target between the teams over the 90 minutes…except it’s not the last game of the season and I’ve been drawn in the European Places Playoff first round.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-playoff-draw.jpg

Despite having the lesser possession and fewer shots on target, we make those we do have count as Djerlek scores in the first half and a Maiga penalty seals a 2-0 victory with the last kick of the game to take into the second leg.

I’m beginning to have second thoughts about letting Maiga go as he’s scored consistently as he’s been playing and, whilst not a natural in the role I want him to play in and too old to retrain, he is definitely doing a job.
    This goal means he’s now joint top scorer with Onuachu who hasn’t impressed me with his performances.

Second leg against Esbjerg up next and away. For the away game I revert to a 4-1-3-2 to play on the counter attack and add a tough tackling CM, Keita in the middle in an attempt to deal with their 4-2-3-1 formation. Although he’s not in the team to score, Keita nets the first with a fine strike from outside the box. They equalise but top performances from my back 4 & keeper mean we go through courtesy of the home result. OB won their legs, so we’re up against them for the second round.

“Just one of those games” comes to mind - we have 14 shots and only one on target, we dominate possession, have more corners and successful passes but can’t do anything about the important stat and lose the first leg 1-0 leaving us a bit of work to do in the second leg.

The game starts frenetically with a goal each in the opening 15 minutes , Djerlek tapping in for us. It stays like this until the 70th minute when I go all out overload to try and get the winner which works with Lekven nodding in his first of the season from a corner, giving us the advantage on away goals. So I go the other way and to full contain mode, clogging up the midfield and giving no freedom to the fullbacks. Despite this, Onuachu scores late on and gives us a 3-1 victory on the day, 3-2 on aggregate. Once again, my CB Nicolaisen is MoM.

The games seem to continue, with yet another playoff draw against Randers whose fans, I have not forgotten, laughed at my application..this could get personal.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-3rd-round-playoff-draw.jpg

49. Bring it on Randers, you sumbitches
    Edd1920 likes this.

50. June 2020

An unbelievable performance hopefully wipes some of the grins off the smug Randers fans as my two Serbian free transfers score in quick succession before half time. They pull one back just after half time and Djerlek completes a 3-1 victory with his second of the game in the 54th minute.

I'm so delighted by the result, I want to attempt a Souness-esque flag plant into the Randers centre spot, but that would probably results in some disciplinary action...

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixture.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-eos-awards.jpg

Promising youngsters Pena (GK) and Kristensson (RB) join as I look to progress them to the first team, although Kristensson looks good enough to jump straight into the first team.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-pena-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kristensson-profile.jpg

With the additions of Rivero and Antonssen, I don’t need to sign anyone else, so unless someone too good to turn down, or an opportunity to improve the youth comes around, I think I’m done although it would be good to increase the Danish core of the team. My youth intake produces Lasse Post who looks like he could be a prospect and is promoted to the first team for the experience and some substitute appearances.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-post-profile.jpg

The European Cup draw pitches me against a Luxembourgian team then potentially Slovenian or Andorran opposition although the qualifying games means it's an early start to the season this year.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ec-draw.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO