Like Tree7Likes

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

1. Quote Originally Posted by neavie pops23 View Post
    This League one malarkey is easy!
    Not in a month of Sundays did I expect it to be getting to this point, especially not in the first season. Praise the lord for loan signings

2. April 2017 + End of season review

So we move into potentially the final month of the season, 6 games to go and we could be champions of League 1 and be in the Championship next season.

We started the month off knowing we needed 9 points to win the league if we could secure a win against Charlton. We blazed through the month unbeaten drawing 3 and winning 3, including get a draw at Charlton which enabled us to win the league and gain promotion. We finished the season on 93 points with a 10 point advantage over Charlton who join us in the Championship next season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fa3aadea.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fabbfc66.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fb24a707.png

Player of the month is Michael Folivi who scored 4 goals with them all coming in the last game of the season at Scunthorpe. Other players up there were Gael Bigirimana and Jodi Jones both with 3 goals.

Next we have the end of season review. Everyone in the team put in a shift who has played a part with not only the loanee's having a massive influence but those already at the club with the players stats in general below.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fbbe4ec3.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fc4a5463.png

Next we have the end of season review and awards. My main aim for next season is keeping the money coming in and trying to improve the team and maintain our place in the Championship before attempting to gain promotion back to the big leagues. End of season awards are a given, Jordan Willis deservedly took home the young player of the year award with his performances at the back. He also took the fans player of the year award with a 41% share of the vote. Roger Johnson took signing of the season as he came into the side not only as a rotational option but a good influence of the younger players, constantly tutoring during the season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-076473d300.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0764bb9141.png

Michael Folivi took home the top scorer award for the season with an impressive 29 goals, both Gael Bigirimana and Greg Olley sharing the top assister award with 15 each. Finally Jordan Willis had the highest average rating at 7.51 and Jordan Turnbull has the most MOTM with 8 awards. Team of the season is pretty much the team who played the part in this seasons success and hopefully will continue that into next season

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-07677587fc.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0777b8a71c.png

We move on now to next season which I am hoping will be another good season as I plan to maintain the clubs position in the Championship and build in the pursuit of reaching the Premier League.

3. Preseaon 2017 + Competition Review 17/18

So we move into put second preseason at Coventry. The summer itself was an eventful one both on and off the pitch with good and bad news aplenty.

We started the summer by announcing a new link with Liverpool FC. With this senior affiliate we will get paid an annual fee of £122k and also be able to get players in on loans without having to pay much of the wages if any. We will also host an annual friendly which will generate extra funds as well.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311dfca32c.png

Next piece of good news is I was able to persuade the board to part with a little bit of money to upgrade the youth facilities at the club. This will pay dividends in allowing the players to progress and get better at the club.

On to the bad news, it did get worse and worse in my perspective. It began with Tim Fisher the current owner looking to sell the club and he eventually found a potential buyer which resulted in a transfer embargo being placed on the club this led me to lose out on a few potential targets. However it only got worse as the talks broke down and we as a club going back to square one. After this Tim decided it would be a good idea to sell arguably our best player in Jordan Willis after a £4.3 million bid came in from LA Galaxy even disregarding my protests.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311e05263b.png

So on we go to preseason, it was a pretty decent preseason for all as everyone in the team got at least one full 90 minutes over the course of all the games. Some good results including wins at Leicester, Southampton and Gelsenkirchen. Overall a productive friendly period which hopefully will translate into the coming season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311ea88fdd.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311d687be4.png

Moving onto the transfers we had a busy summer with plenty of ins and outs at the club. We've signed a total of 13 players so far and another 15 leaving. 4 of these players, McDermott, Whelan, Barodal and Rowthorn go directly into the u23's. Losing Stevenson to Swansea was a blow but then the departure of Willis left a sizeable gap in the team, although Prestia came in as a cheaper like for like replacement. Transfers have been well so far with the club making a decent profit allowing for more potential signings and also upgrades to the facilities.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311f49fdcd.png

Last part of the update is the competition review. The board have set the team some sizeable expectations in the league and cups. Obvious one is avoid relegation from the Championship which I believe is achievable given a good run at some point during the season. Cup expectations are a bit dubious, this is due to entering FA Cup in the third round can mean getting anyone at all and the EFL Cup is always tricky especially depending on who we get in the second round especially if we progress past the first round.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-31b8837560.png

Next update will be league and cup action from August and September.

4. August + September 2017

So we start the season as 2nd favourites to get the boot back down to League 1. All the transfers for the first have bedded in successfully during preseason so I am going into the season with optimism that we can survive and may be even not have to worry about relegation. I will be changing the format on how I write the bimonthly report, instead of focusing on the months and what happens I will be focusing on the separate competitions for that bimonthly period.

So we begin the update with the EFL Cup action. The board had set us an expectation of reaching the second round and we did just that but didn't go any further. We started off against Exeter in the first round and progressed winning 3-1 in normal time with goals from Folivi, Bigirimana and Olley. We the progressed to the second round and were paired against Newcastle who unfortunately ran out 3-1 winners themselves with only Olley getting on the score sheet for ourselves. With us going out of the competition we can now solely concentrate on the league until we enter the FA Cup in January.

Moving onto the league action. We have had a pretty good month overall. The season/month did not get off to the best of starts losing two games on the bounce against Fulham and Nottingham Forest. However, we managed to turn around our fortunes and went the rest of the month unbeaten and in fact winning the reminder of our games. This has left the club at the end of August in 3rd place on 12 points only 3 off top which is currently occupied by Burnley.

Moving into September we only have league action to worry about. If we can keep the momentum up it can really make our season and hopefully put us well clear of a relegation scrap but there is plenty of games to come so anything can happen. The month brought the club back to reality with a really hard month overall. Crushing defeats to Cardiff, Brentford and Aston Villa. We did turn it around though with 3 wins on our own right. The month ended with the club in 7th place and 8 points off top which is now occupied by Derby.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d8fdc278.png

So far its turned a bit into a go big or go home mentality with the club either winning or losing our games so far!

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d9123c8f.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d9236142.png

Transfer window slammed shut but the club did make 3 additional signing with Joe Willock, Roberto Obale and Tobias Warschewski joining and going directly into the u23s.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d925a3fe.png

Player of the last two months has to go down to George Olley who has contributed 7 goals and 4 assists over the last two months. Other honorable mentions are Michael Folivi with 6 goals and 4 assists and Brian Lenihan with 1 goal and 3 assists.

Next update will be October and November 2017.
    Last edited by issteo; 23/03/2017 at 11:08 PM.

5. October + November 2017 Update

As we move into October we are currently in the middle of a promotion dog fight instead of a relegation dog fight far from what I expected. The month consistent with 5 games, two of which I thought were easily winnable against Burton and Charlton and we did running out 3-1 and 4-1 winners respectively. In between those games we faced promotion hopefuls Burnley who unfortunately ran out 3-0 winners. We finished the month with a win at Reading followed by another win at Swansea. This left us in 2nd place with 33 points after 17 games, 3 points off Derby who occupy 1st place.

October also brought some good news as the youth facilities upgrades finished and this left us with a rating of great youth facilities and impressive training facilities. Some other good news is Fisher has decided to put the club up forsale again but unfortunately again this fell through.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9f0be73e.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9eba8270.png

Moving onto November and this is a pretty short month games wise with only 3 games during the month due to everyone’s favourite time pastime – internationals. We started of the month with a 3-2 win against Leeds before the international break. We return from the international break with a game against Oxford and we have finally drawn a game haha! Last game of the month takes us to Derby were awin would put us joint top but it wasn’t to be losing out 1-0. We end the month in 4th place on 37 points 6 off the top with 26 more games to go.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9ec60aa4.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9ecebf5a.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9eb2da7c.png

Clubs top player over the last two months goes down to Michael Folivi who has been banging in the goals regularly to keep us not only away from relegation but in the promotion hunt! Other honourable mentions are Josh Windass who is finally finding his feet and Jordan Turnbull who has been a rock in defence.

We also got notice that the United Kingdom has left the EU (shock horror). New permit rules will mean it’ll be noticeably harder for me to get players in from abroad and thus any English based players price will sky rocket.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9f057d2f.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9ef8cfbb.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9eec8723.png
    Last edited by issteo; 25/03/2017 at 06:45 PM.

6. December 17 + January 18 Update

As we move into December looking back on the year has me amazed. We were begged as finishing no more than bottom half in League 1 at the start of 2017, I felt we were lucky to finish in the top half yet we went on to win the league by a comfortable margin. Now we are in the Championship not only ahead of where I want to be but also at this moment in time in a promotion dog fight instead of a relegation one.

Anyway, away from my opinions, December is as always a key month due to the amount of games we play. We have 7 games during the month and play 4 of those with a 2-week period. We started the month with a hard fought 1-0 win at QPR followed by 1-1 draw at Wigan. The month unravelled massively with two heavy defeats against Brighton and Fulham which left us with work to do during the festive period. Festive period went well for the team as they bucked up their ideas after those two defeats. We went unbeaten winning the 3 final games of the year to leave us in 3rd place on 50 points only 1 off the top which is occupied by Derby after 27 games.

As we move into 2018 we sit in the playoff places. My main aim now is to stay in the top half no matter what happens from now on as I feel we are well away from any kind of relegation battle. January consists of FA Cup and league action which I will cover below.

We started this years run in the FA Cup automatically going into the 3rd round. We were paired with Norwich who are now in the Premiership. We drew the game 3-3 and went into the replay knowing a win would set us up against Southampton in the 4th and we ended up running out 3-1 winners. Moving onto the 4th round tie with Southampton we draw 3-3 yet again thanks to an 85th minute equalizer from Josh Windass. If we progress we set up a 5th round tie at Aston Villa our conquerors in last years 4th round.

Moving onto league action in January we had a mixed month. We dropped points at Huddersfield, Cardiff (again), Brentford and Norwich. We did pick up wins at Wolves and Norwich which meant we ended the month in 5th place on 53 points, 6 points behind the league leaders Aston Villa after 31 games.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-82280e170a.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-82281c3a2d.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-8227f14518.png

The transfer window slammed shut in January again. We made 3 additions during the window with Prince Uzochukwu and Easah Suliman joing permanently, with Prince going straight out on loan as we didn’t get a work permit for him. We also brought in Ben Woodburn in on loan as cover for up front as we have only 2 other recognised strikers in the squad. Roberto Olabe and Stefano Scognamillo also left on loan this month to get more playing time.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-8228203a18.png

Overall top player over the last two months has to go to Josh Windass, he has popped up with some needed goals and has been involved a lot recently in the team. Other notable players are Tobias Warschewski who has came up from the u23's to play his part in the team as well along with midfield general Gael Bigirimana.

7. Feb + March 2018

Moving into February we have a busy month ahead as we have FA Cup and league action to look forward to.

FA Cup action up first and we have the 4th round replay against Southampton after the initial game ended in a 3-3 draw. It wasn’t to be this time around though again as we lost out 2-0 in replay meaning Southampton progress to face Aston Villa.

Moving onto league action we have everything to play for with the top 6 places not being separated by much, we started the month with 3 draws including 2 3-3 draws at Hull and Blackburn. Our luck continued to desert us as we lost 5-4 against Aston Villa who scored the winner in extra time to crown off a goal fest. We finished off the month a well needed 5-3 win at Burnley to leave us 5thplace on 59 points 12 off top which is still occupied by Aston Villa.

Moving into March it is a short month with 4 league games due to the international break. We started the month with a massive 6-1 win at Charlton to further our promotion credentials. However, we then went on to lose 2 games on the trot with late defeats to Ipswich and Reading. We finished off the month with a dreadful 5-1 defeat to Swansea which meant with other results going against us we dropped out of the promotion places and into 7th.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a196b4388.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a19727927.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a197904f8.png

Had my very first concrete job interview in regards to a vacant job at Rangers. I had obviously rejected the interview due to the fact of this save as I will be a one man club and still at Coventry throughout my career.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a198d5850.png

We also had my favourite period in the youth intake. This year we had a sizeable intake again but unfortunately, we didn’t get much in terms of quality, with only one player having the potential to make it as a mainstay in the first team if the opportunity ever arises.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a1965bcfc.png

Player of the last two months will go to Ben Woodburn who has came into the team and set the Championship a light with 9 goals and 2 assists in 10 games.

8. April/May 2018 + End of Season Review

Moving into the potentially the last full month of the season we know what we need to do to secure a place in the play offs and that is to win every game! The month did go to plan though unfortunately as we had a mixed bag of results. We started the month off with a 1-1 draw at Leeds followed by a 3-1 win at Oxford to leave the promotion race finely poised. However, we followed that up in the next 3 games with only 1 win at Wigan and 2 defeats at QPR and Derby. This left us at the end of April on 69 points and in 8th place, 2 points off the final playoff place currently occupied by Brentford. We go into the final game of the regular season in May knowing a win and loses for Brentford and Huddersfield would lead us into a playoff place.

As we went into the game I gave the players a little talk in the importance of it. However, it did not work as we ended up coming up short to lose 2-1 against Brighton to end our dreams of back to back promotions. The game itself was a story of 2 halves, I felt we dominated the first half but were unable to take our chances with Brighton coming out in the second half on fire and going 2-0 after 50 minutes. Although we did get a goal back it wouldn’t have made a difference in the grand scheme of things as Brentford ended up winning 3-0 at Birmingham to secure the final play off spot.

Moving onto the end of season awards and review. It has been a pretty good season for all with the club exceeding all expectations with the club finishing in 9th place and doing well all things considered in the cups. Moving into the end of season awards it was plain and simple, Greg Olley swept them up taking every club award available. Both Greg Olley and Michael Folivi also took home league awards with Player of the Year going to Olley and Young Player of the Year going to Folivi.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b9283dbd50.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b9283959f5.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b9284d59ac.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b92860aaa8.png

Finally, the commercial summary was a good understanding of where the club is going money wise. Everything has increased massively including sponsorship and broadcast revenue. Competition prize money did decrease which is to be expected as we didn’t win anything this time around.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b928465162.png

9. Just caught up with this. Very unlucky not to make the playoff your form just seemed to dip nearing the end of the season. But still a great 2nd season and hopefully you can build on this next year. Always liked Coventry too.

10. Quote Originally Posted by burkeyoa View Post
    Just caught up with this. Very unlucky not to make the playoff your form just seemed to dip nearing the end of the season. But still a great 2nd season and hopefully you can build on this next year. Always liked Coventry too.
    Cheer! Aye they ran out of steam towards then kept picking up niggling injuries so planning on making changes to the coaching team.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast