Like Tree7Likes

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

1. A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special

Alright folks,

So I was sitting on Saturday evening thinking to myself why oh why did I back Coventry City (who by getting beat 2-0 by Bradford let me down for just under 1k). I was wondering to myself where did it call go wrong for them? I decided virtual speaking I would try my hardest to get back to the top no matter how long it would take.
    The point of this save it to manager Coventry and only Coventry. In the event of me getting the boot at that point I will retire the save, no ifs no buts.
    As an amateur rating currently on the forum when starting the save, the start will be a bit long winded especially for those who may not know anything about ‘The Sky Blues’ as I want to give the best information as possible.
    Below is a brief history of the club and you can see since the 2000/01 season things have went pretty downhill since their relegation from the Premier League with a few years of mid table finishes in the championship then the drop down into League 1.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-history-overview.png

2. Finances + Players and Staff Overview

Below is a screenshot of the finances which are okay although the transfer budget at the bottom is a liar as I start the season with zero cash and only just over 1k worth of surplus wages available before going into the red.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-finances-summary.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-finances-projection.png

You can also see the squads from the 1st XI down to the U18s. Not much depth available in either the u23’s or u18’s. You will find we also have Yakubu who I’m hoping will do better for me than what he is doing in real life at the moment, more goals and less hobbling around the pitch, feed the yak and all that.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-players-players.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-players-players-2.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city-under-23s.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city-under-18s.png

Below is a staff overview. I have made a start to try and improve it with the addition of a few coaches and scouts.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-staff-overview.png

3. Competition review, facilities and affiliates

This is the last post in regards to the club itself. Below will cover the clubs facilities itself, the clubs affiliates and the competition overview for the season.

First up is the competition review. This is a bit of Murphy’s Law especially for League 1 itself, Mid-Table is achievable as long as everyone stays fit and firing. I do not like the lack of depth and I am hoping to get a few players in but if I can’t, it may be a struggle. A good cup run will do wonders for the club but I am not holding out any hope for making the expectations.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions.png

Next we have the facilities. Facilities are pretty good and with time will be updated but for now they will do. I am hoping especially in the first season for a decent regen pool to work with as I prefer that then going and spending, but given the chance I will for a decent player/prospect.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-facilities.png

Finally the affiliates. We currently only have one at the moment and that is Nuneaton. I will hope to act on this and get in a senior affiliate for the club to get a crack at some decent players but also for an extra bit of finance which always goes a long way.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-affiliates.png
    Next update will be preseason, this will also including any new additions to the team and staff.

4. Preseason Update

So preseason got underway and as you'll see below it wasn't the best, with some mixed results. I will say that I did experiment with 3 tactics over the course of the games. The games against Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Swansea and Man City I had organised myself to get some needed funds into the club with all 5 games contributing just shy of 500k into the balance. All other friendlies had been arranged prior to me taking over.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-preseaon.png

As I said mixed bag of results with the heaviest defeats coming against Arsenal and Colchester and big wins against Rugby and Nuneaton. Defeats also followed againt Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. Draws against the u23s and Swansea plus a win against Ipswich all with mass changes as I try and figure out my starting 11. All in all 15 goals scored and 15 goals conceded in preseason meant I was going into the season a little daunted.

As for the early transfers I was pretty much scratching around for loans. I did manage to get 4 in early on. Thierry Ambrose arriving as a straight swap for Charles Vernam who unfortunately in the game against City got injured and suffered a blood clot which left him out for 8 months. 3 other signings are rotational for midfield and defence. There is currently no outgoing transfers as the squad itself is small and lacks any great depth.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-transfer-history.png

The next update I hope which will be later tonight will take in the league and cups from August until the end of September or start of October

5. Like the look of this, some good transfers! I find it sad to see a team like Coventry sitting at the bottom of league one, their fantastic large fanbase deserve better!

6. August + September Update

So after a mixed bag of results in preseason I start my first season of Coventry. I begin the season still with a pessimistic view, yes I want to get out of League 1 and move up the leagues but at the moment all I looking for is a bit of stability and the chance to rebuild the club. I did forget to get screenshots of results etc in August so will follow it up at the end of September and give our position and any other details then.
    August is a mixed month of competitions with the start of the League 1 season, taking part in the EFL Cup and also the start of the Checkatrade Trophy. In the Checkatrade trophy itself we have been paired with AFC Wimbledon, Portsmouth and Swansea u23s.

We started the month in the league with 5 points out of 15 with 1 win 2 draws and 2 defeats. We successfully made it into the 2nd round of the EFL Cup with a 2-1 extra time win over Barnet but lost in the 2nd round 2-1 to Cardiff again after extra time. We also started the Checkatrade Trophy group stage with a 4-0 win against Portsmouth.

Results so far:
    LG1 – Swindon: 3-3
    EFL Cup 1st Round – Barnet: 2-1ae
    LG1 – Shrewsbury: 1-1
    LG1 – Bury: 1-2
    LG1 – Bradford City: 3-0
    EFL Cup 2nd Round – Cardiff: 1-2ae
    LG1 – Northampton : 3-5
    CT – Portsmouth : 4-0

Player of the month is a hard decision but based on goals scored along for me is Michael Folivi who has contributed 4 goals across the month before getting injured. Other notable mentions are Jodi Jones with 4 goals as well and both Adam Phillips and Daniel Barlaser.

Now we move into September. September itself is a quiet month with only League 1 action after being put out of the EFL Cup in the second round by Cardiff and strangely no further action in the Checkatrade Trophy.
    The month started off brilliantly with a 4-0 victory over Fleetwood and continued throughout the remainder of the month as the club remained unbeaten and only dropped 2 points in total in the 2-2 draw with Millwall. In total we played 5 games and scored 13 goals and conceded on 5 which meant we went an average of 2.6-1. With these results in mind have risen up the table to now sit in 5th place with 18 points after a total of 10 games and 4 points off the top which is currently held by MK Dons on 22 points.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-2.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-3.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions-2.png

Transfer window has also now slammed shut. Made to additions to the squad. These are getting Adam Phillips in on loan from Liverpool and signing Roger Johnson from Charlton for 9.75k as cover for defence.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-transfer-history.png

Next update will be October and November.

7. October + November 2016

Before we I get started I forgot to put up my player of the month for September. This was pretty easy for me as you'll see in the below screenshot as it was Thierry Ambrose. The wee man from France had a cracker of a month ending September with 5 goals and 2 assists in 4 games. Jodi Jones and Greg Olley were also up there, with all three players featuring the in the list for young player of the month. I will be no longer be doing player of the month instead doing player of the period I cover in the posts from now on, be it one, two or three months.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox.png

Okay so we move into October and what a month it has been. In League 1 we went on a 6 game winning streak which had propelled us up the table. In these 6 matches we kept 4 clean sheets and in total conceded 4 goals, scoring 13 goals in the process. Our only other game in October was the second Checkatrade Trophy match against AFC Wimbledon which we drew 2-2 but would later lose on penalties. To be honest I am still getting used to the format of this tournament and can see why many people disregard it.

So we move now into November and we are back fighting on 3 fronts. This month we have the league as usual, a game in the Checkatrade Trophy and we also enter into the 1st Round of the FA Cup. Our first game in November is actually the FA Cup 1st Round tie at Doncaster where we came out 3-1 winners to set up a 2nd Round tie against Crewe. We also have Checkatrade Trophy action which was against Swansea u23's were we ran out 1-0 winners to set up our progression to the 2nd Round in which we will play Gillingham.

Back now to League 1 action, after the results in October we have now risen above the play off positions and currently sit in 1st place 2 points ahead of our nearest competitors Charlton. Month didn't start out too great with a draw away to Scunthorpe and a lose to Oxford. Before we could go any other I was hit with an unexpected bit of news in regards to contract renewal talks, this was unexpected as it is the earliest I have ever had it in my first season in charge of a team whilst ever playing football manager. Anyway after accepting the talks I was offered a new 2 year contract which I gladly accepted. I did take a £100 pay cut from my current wages and also increased the percentage of wage cut for relegation and compensation for the club. Back to the actual football we had two more games remaining of the League 1 action in November which saw us win at both Bolton and MK Dons. We currently sit top of the pile after 20 matches. Long way to go but I'm confident of at least putting in a challenge for promotion with the way things are going.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-2.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-4.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-my-contract-contract-offer.png

Overall the last two months have been interesting, we have now taken the club away from relegation battlers for the season to be potential and I stress the world potential looking at a possible return to the Championship. For me the player of the last two months is a start shoot out between defender Jordan Willis (who during November but in a transfer request) and Reice Charles-Cook but unfortunately I can't choose between them so they will share the award.

My next update will include December and January, including any transfers I make in the January transfer window(the joys).

8. December + January Update

So as the season draws on we move into December. As an English team and in no matter what division for me personally I think December is the most import month in the calendar, this is due to the amount of games you can play and the lack of time off in-between. Anyway less of my opinions lets move on and see what happened to Coventry during December!

So we start the month with 2 consecutive cup games albeit in different competitions. We had Crewe come to us in the FA Cup 2nd round and prevailed 2-0 and drew Leicester in the 3rd round. We move on and next up comes Gillingham in the 2nd round of the Checkatrade Trophy and again progressed with a 2-0 win.

Back to league action and we came away with 2 wins, a draw and a lose during the month. In fact the two wins we got during the month we came away with an aggregate score of 13-1 thanks to a 7-0 win at Southend and 6-1 at Bristol Rovers. We did however lose to Sheffield Utd and drew at Peterborough. This left us hanging in there in the automatic promotion places but no longer have any advantage over Peterborough who now join us on level points. We do maintain first place due to our goal difference.

We move on now to January, a lovely time of the year where you can make or break your season with the transfer window reopening. We did make some signing straight off the bat to come in in January and we also had our first outgoing transfer. We had 3 players come in and 1 exit. With an overall profit this season in 220k.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da48acf21a.png
    We started off the month with league action and lost 1-0 against Bolton. We finished the month in total with 3 wins, 1 loses and 1 draw. We finished the month still involved in the title race with us resting in top spot with a 2 point advantage with 17 games to go.

Now we move onto the cup competitions. We faced Leicester in the 3rd round in the FA Cup, we somehow progressed to the 4th round with a 1-0 win but this is down to some fantastic defensive work but also a helping hand from the Leicester players who lost the plot and had a man sent off either side of the goal. We move on to the Checkatrade Trophy 3rd round tie against Peterborough but lost out 2-1. Peterborough themselves are slowly turning into our bogey team. We drew Aston Villa in the 4th round of the FA Cup but lost out 4-1 thanks to an early red card for Jordan Willis.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da509cb76a.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da5292bc5e.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da543bfe22.png

Player of the last two months has to go to Michael Folivi who has scored an impressive 7 goals and bag two assists. Jodi Jones, Greg Olley and Daniel Barlaser were close runners up.
    Last edited by issteo; 18/03/2017 at 10:46 PM.

9. Feb + March 2017

Moving ever closer to the end of my first year as manager of Coventry, it has safe to be said a lot better than what I was expecting. February is a key month with 6 games including games against Swindon and AFC Wimbledon, with no more cup games we can solely concentrate on the league as we hopefully go for promotion up to the Championship.

We started the month dreadfully with two defeats on the bounce against Millwall and Oldham. Things didn't improve by much as we dropped yet more points in 2 draws against AFC Wimbledon and Gillingham. However after giving the team a stern talking too we bounced back with a 4-2 win at Swindon and a 3-0 win at Bury. These last two results with a little bit of luck allowed the team to rise back to the top of the pile with a 1 point lead over Charlton with 11 games to go.

We went into March with a lot at risk as we only have a 1 point advantage at the top but there is only a couple of points separating the top 4 so all to play for I suppose as normal. Before we go into the league action I also have to say March is my favourite time of the year when managing in England as it is also regen month. Our first youth intake wasn't great as I did not get any players coming in for my needed positions, however there is still some good players in there. Below is the full youth intake for this year.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ed6ead2d5e.png

Anyway moving on we have league action and in total we have 5 games to play. We started the month with a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury but went on to win the last 4 games including a 4-3 win at MK Dons. With us going the month unbeaten we strengthen our hold on 1st place and in doing so go 6 points clear with 6 games to go.

For the last two months for me the best player in the team has to be Gael Bigirimana who has been a rock in midfield contributing 2 goals and 4 assists during the period with another 2 POM awards. Other honourable mentions are Michael Folivi and Jodi Jones contributing goals to the cause.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ede0bbaf85.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ede11a3f0c.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ede4c37000.png

Next update will be the final run in.

10. This League one malarkey is easy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast