Like Tree7Likes

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special

Alright folks,

So I was sitting on Saturday evening thinking to myself why oh why did I back Coventry City (who by getting beat 2-0 by Bradford let me down for just under 1k). I was wondering to myself where did it call go wrong for them? I decided virtual speaking I would try my hardest to get back to the top no matter how long it would take.
    The point of this save it to manager Coventry and only Coventry. In the event of me getting the boot at that point I will retire the save, no ifs no buts.
    As an amateur rating currently on the forum when starting the save, the start will be a bit long winded especially for those who may not know anything about ‘The Sky Blues’ as I want to give the best information as possible.
    Below is a brief history of the club and you can see since the 2000/01 season things have went pretty downhill since their relegation from the Premier League with a few years of mid table finishes in the championship then the drop down into League 1.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-history-overview.png

2. Finances + Players and Staff Overview

Below is a screenshot of the finances which are okay although the transfer budget at the bottom is a liar as I start the season with zero cash and only just over 1k worth of surplus wages available before going into the red.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-finances-summary.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-finances-projection.png

You can also see the squads from the 1st XI down to the U18s. Not much depth available in either the u23’s or u18’s. You will find we also have Yakubu who I’m hoping will do better for me than what he is doing in real life at the moment, more goals and less hobbling around the pitch, feed the yak and all that.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-players-players.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-players-players-2.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city-under-23s.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city-under-18s.png

Below is a staff overview. I have made a start to try and improve it with the addition of a few coaches and scouts.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-staff-overview.png

3. Competition review, facilities and affiliates

This is the last post in regards to the club itself. Below will cover the clubs facilities itself, the clubs affiliates and the competition overview for the season.

First up is the competition review. This is a bit of Murphy’s Law especially for League 1 itself, Mid-Table is achievable as long as everyone stays fit and firing. I do not like the lack of depth and I am hoping to get a few players in but if I can’t, it may be a struggle. A good cup run will do wonders for the club but I am not holding out any hope for making the expectations.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions.png

Next we have the facilities. Facilities are pretty good and with time will be updated but for now they will do. I am hoping especially in the first season for a decent regen pool to work with as I prefer that then going and spending, but given the chance I will for a decent player/prospect.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-facilities.png

Finally the affiliates. We currently only have one at the moment and that is Nuneaton. I will hope to act on this and get in a senior affiliate for the club to get a crack at some decent players but also for an extra bit of finance which always goes a long way.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-affiliates.png
    Next update will be preseason, this will also including any new additions to the team and staff.

4. Preseason Update

So preseason got underway and as you'll see below it wasn't the best, with some mixed results. I will say that I did experiment with 3 tactics over the course of the games. The games against Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Swansea and Man City I had organised myself to get some needed funds into the club with all 5 games contributing just shy of 500k into the balance. All other friendlies had been arranged prior to me taking over.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-preseaon.png

As I said mixed bag of results with the heaviest defeats coming against Arsenal and Colchester and big wins against Rugby and Nuneaton. Defeats also followed againt Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. Draws against the u23s and Swansea plus a win against Ipswich all with mass changes as I try and figure out my starting 11. All in all 15 goals scored and 15 goals conceded in preseason meant I was going into the season a little daunted.

As for the early transfers I was pretty much scratching around for loans. I did manage to get 4 in early on. Thierry Ambrose arriving as a straight swap for Charles Vernam who unfortunately in the game against City got injured and suffered a blood clot which left him out for 8 months. 3 other signings are rotational for midfield and defence. There is currently no outgoing transfers as the squad itself is small and lacks any great depth.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-transfer-history.png

The next update I hope which will be later tonight will take in the league and cups from August until the end of September or start of October

5. Like the look of this, some good transfers! I find it sad to see a team like Coventry sitting at the bottom of league one, their fantastic large fanbase deserve better!

6. August + September Update

So after a mixed bag of results in preseason I start my first season of Coventry. I begin the season still with a pessimistic view, yes I want to get out of League 1 and move up the leagues but at the moment all I looking for is a bit of stability and the chance to rebuild the club. I did forget to get screenshots of results etc in August so will follow it up at the end of September and give our position and any other details then.
    August is a mixed month of competitions with the start of the League 1 season, taking part in the EFL Cup and also the start of the Checkatrade Trophy. In the Checkatrade trophy itself we have been paired with AFC Wimbledon, Portsmouth and Swansea u23s.

We started the month in the league with 5 points out of 15 with 1 win 2 draws and 2 defeats. We successfully made it into the 2nd round of the EFL Cup with a 2-1 extra time win over Barnet but lost in the 2nd round 2-1 to Cardiff again after extra time. We also started the Checkatrade Trophy group stage with a 4-0 win against Portsmouth.

Results so far:
    LG1 – Swindon: 3-3
    EFL Cup 1st Round – Barnet: 2-1ae
    LG1 – Shrewsbury: 1-1
    LG1 – Bury: 1-2
    LG1 – Bradford City: 3-0
    EFL Cup 2nd Round – Cardiff: 1-2ae
    LG1 – Northampton : 3-5
    CT – Portsmouth : 4-0

Player of the month is a hard decision but based on goals scored along for me is Michael Folivi who has contributed 4 goals across the month before getting injured. Other notable mentions are Jodi Jones with 4 goals as well and both Adam Phillips and Daniel Barlaser.

Now we move into September. September itself is a quiet month with only League 1 action after being put out of the EFL Cup in the second round by Cardiff and strangely no further action in the Checkatrade Trophy.
    The month started off brilliantly with a 4-0 victory over Fleetwood and continued throughout the remainder of the month as the club remained unbeaten and only dropped 2 points in total in the 2-2 draw with Millwall. In total we played 5 games and scored 13 goals and conceded on 5 which meant we went an average of 2.6-1. With these results in mind have risen up the table to now sit in 5th place with 18 points after a total of 10 games and 4 points off the top which is currently held by MK Dons on 22 points.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-2.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-3.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions-2.png

Transfer window has also now slammed shut. Made to additions to the squad. These are getting Adam Phillips in on loan from Liverpool and signing Roger Johnson from Charlton for 9.75k as cover for defence.

Next update will be October and November.

7. October + November 2016

Before we I get started I forgot to put up my player of the month for September. This was pretty easy for me as you'll see in the below screenshot as it was Thierry Ambrose. The wee man from France had a cracker of a month ending September with 5 goals and 2 assists in 4 games. Jodi Jones and Greg Olley were also up there, with all three players featuring the in the list for young player of the month. I will be no longer be doing player of the month instead doing player of the period I cover in the posts from now on, be it one, two or three months.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox.png

Okay so we move into October and what a month it has been. In League 1 we went on a 6 game winning streak which had propelled us up the table. In these 6 matches we kept 4 clean sheets and in total conceded 4 goals, scoring 13 goals in the process. Our only other game in October was the second Checkatrade Trophy match against AFC Wimbledon which we drew 2-2 but would later lose on penalties. To be honest I am still getting used to the format of this tournament and can see why many people disregard it.

So we move now into November and we are back fighting on 3 fronts. This month we have the league as usual, a game in the Checkatrade Trophy and we also enter into the 1st Round of the FA Cup. Our first game in November is actually the FA Cup 1st Round tie at Doncaster where we came out 3-1 winners to set up a 2nd Round tie against Crewe. We also have Checkatrade Trophy action which was against Swansea u23's were we ran out 1-0 winners to set up our progression to the 2nd Round in which we will play Gillingham.

Back now to League 1 action, after the results in October we have now risen above the play off positions and currently sit in 1st place 2 points ahead of our nearest competitors Charlton. Month didn't start out too great with a draw away to Scunthorpe and a lose to Oxford. Before we could go any other I was hit with an unexpected bit of news in regards to contract renewal talks, this was unexpected as it is the earliest I have ever had it in my first season in charge of a team whilst ever playing football manager. Anyway after accepting the talks I was offered a new 2 year contract which I gladly accepted. I did take a £100 pay cut from my current wages and also increased the percentage of wage cut for relegation and compensation for the club. Back to the actual football we had two more games remaining of the League 1 action in November which saw us win at both Bolton and MK Dons. We currently sit top of the pile after 20 matches. Long way to go but I'm confident of at least putting in a challenge for promotion with the way things are going.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-2.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-4.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-my-contract-contract-offer.png

Overall the last two months have been interesting, we have now taken the club away from relegation battlers for the season to be potential and I stress the world potential looking at a possible return to the Championship. For me the player of the last two months is a start shoot out between defender Jordan Willis (who during November but in a transfer request) and Reice Charles-Cook but unfortunately I can't choose between them so they will share the award.

My next update will include December and January, including any transfers I make in the January transfer window(the joys).

8. December + January Update

So as the season draws on we move into December. As an English team and in no matter what division for me personally I think December is the most import month in the calendar, this is due to the amount of games you can play and the lack of time off in-between. Anyway less of my opinions lets move on and see what happened to Coventry during December!

So we start the month with 2 consecutive cup games albeit in different competitions. We had Crewe come to us in the FA Cup 2nd round and prevailed 2-0 and drew Leicester in the 3rd round. We move on and next up comes Gillingham in the 2nd round of the Checkatrade Trophy and again progressed with a 2-0 win.

Back to league action and we came away with 2 wins, a draw and a lose during the month. In fact the two wins we got during the month we came away with an aggregate score of 13-1 thanks to a 7-0 win at Southend and 6-1 at Bristol Rovers. We did however lose to Sheffield Utd and drew at Peterborough. This left us hanging in there in the automatic promotion places but no longer have any advantage over Peterborough who now join us on level points. We do maintain first place due to our goal difference.

We move on now to January, a lovely time of the year where you can make or break your season with the transfer window reopening. We did make some signing straight off the bat to come in in January and we also had our first outgoing transfer. We had 3 players come in and 1 exit. With an overall profit this season in 220k.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da48acf21a.png
    We started off the month with league action and lost 1-0 against Bolton. We finished the month in total with 3 wins, 1 loses and 1 draw. We finished the month still involved in the title race with us resting in top spot with a 2 point advantage with 17 games to go.

Now we move onto the cup competitions. We faced Leicester in the 3rd round in the FA Cup, we somehow progressed to the 4th round with a 1-0 win but this is down to some fantastic defensive work but also a helping hand from the Leicester players who lost the plot and had a man sent off either side of the goal. We move on to the Checkatrade Trophy 3rd round tie against Peterborough but lost out 2-1. Peterborough themselves are slowly turning into our bogey team. We drew Aston Villa in the 4th round of the FA Cup but lost out 4-1 thanks to an early red card for Jordan Willis.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da509cb76a.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da5292bc5e.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-da543bfe22.png

Player of the last two months has to go to Michael Folivi who has scored an impressive 7 goals and bag two assists. Jodi Jones, Greg Olley and Daniel Barlaser were close runners up.
    Last edited by issteo; 18/03/2017 at 10:46 PM.

9. Feb + March 2017

Moving ever closer to the end of my first year as manager of Coventry, it has safe to be said a lot better than what I was expecting. February is a key month with 6 games including games against Swindon and AFC Wimbledon, with no more cup games we can solely concentrate on the league as we hopefully go for promotion up to the Championship.

We started the month dreadfully with two defeats on the bounce against Millwall and Oldham. Things didn't improve by much as we dropped yet more points in 2 draws against AFC Wimbledon and Gillingham. However after giving the team a stern talking too we bounced back with a 4-2 win at Swindon and a 3-0 win at Bury. These last two results with a little bit of luck allowed the team to rise back to the top of the pile with a 1 point lead over Charlton with 11 games to go.

We went into March with a lot at risk as we only have a 1 point advantage at the top but there is only a couple of points separating the top 4 so all to play for I suppose as normal. Before we go into the league action I also have to say March is my favourite time of the year when managing in England as it is also regen month. Our first youth intake wasn't great as I did not get any players coming in for my needed positions, however there is still some good players in there. Below is the full youth intake for this year.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ed6ead2d5e.png

Anyway moving on we have league action and in total we have 5 games to play. We started the month with a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury but went on to win the last 4 games including a 4-3 win at MK Dons. With us going the month unbeaten we strengthen our hold on 1st place and in doing so go 6 points clear with 6 games to go.

For the last two months for me the best player in the team has to be Gael Bigirimana who has been a rock in midfield contributing 2 goals and 4 assists during the period with another 2 POM awards. Other honourable mentions are Michael Folivi and Jodi Jones contributing goals to the cause.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ede0bbaf85.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ede11a3f0c.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-ede4c37000.png

Next update will be the final run in.

10. This League one malarkey is easy!

11. Quote Originally Posted by neavie pops23 View Post
    This League one malarkey is easy!
    Not in a month of Sundays did I expect it to be getting to this point, especially not in the first season. Praise the lord for loan signings

12. April 2017 + End of season review

So we move into potentially the final month of the season, 6 games to go and we could be champions of League 1 and be in the Championship next season.

We started the month off knowing we needed 9 points to win the league if we could secure a win against Charlton. We blazed through the month unbeaten drawing 3 and winning 3, including get a draw at Charlton which enabled us to win the league and gain promotion. We finished the season on 93 points with a 10 point advantage over Charlton who join us in the Championship next season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fa3aadea.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fabbfc66.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fb24a707.png

Player of the month is Michael Folivi who scored 4 goals with them all coming in the last game of the season at Scunthorpe. Other players up there were Gael Bigirimana and Jodi Jones both with 3 goals.

Next we have the end of season review. Everyone in the team put in a shift who has played a part with not only the loanee's having a massive influence but those already at the club with the players stats in general below.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fbbe4ec3.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-06fc4a5463.png

Next we have the end of season review and awards. My main aim for next season is keeping the money coming in and trying to improve the team and maintain our place in the Championship before attempting to gain promotion back to the big leagues. End of season awards are a given, Jordan Willis deservedly took home the young player of the year award with his performances at the back. He also took the fans player of the year award with a 41% share of the vote. Roger Johnson took signing of the season as he came into the side not only as a rotational option but a good influence of the younger players, constantly tutoring during the season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-076473d300.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0764bb9141.png

Michael Folivi took home the top scorer award for the season with an impressive 29 goals, both Gael Bigirimana and Greg Olley sharing the top assister award with 15 each. Finally Jordan Willis had the highest average rating at 7.51 and Jordan Turnbull has the most MOTM with 8 awards. Team of the season is pretty much the team who played the part in this seasons success and hopefully will continue that into next season

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-07677587fc.png

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0777b8a71c.png

We move on now to next season which I am hoping will be another good season as I plan to maintain the clubs position in the Championship and build in the pursuit of reaching the Premier League.

13. Preseaon 2017 + Competition Review 17/18

So we move into put second preseason at Coventry. The summer itself was an eventful one both on and off the pitch with good and bad news aplenty.

We started the summer by announcing a new link with Liverpool FC. With this senior affiliate we will get paid an annual fee of £122k and also be able to get players in on loans without having to pay much of the wages if any. We will also host an annual friendly which will generate extra funds as well.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311dfca32c.png

Next piece of good news is I was able to persuade the board to part with a little bit of money to upgrade the youth facilities at the club. This will pay dividends in allowing the players to progress and get better at the club.

On to the bad news, it did get worse and worse in my perspective. It began with Tim Fisher the current owner looking to sell the club and he eventually found a potential buyer which resulted in a transfer embargo being placed on the club this led me to lose out on a few potential targets. However it only got worse as the talks broke down and we as a club going back to square one. After this Tim decided it would be a good idea to sell arguably our best player in Jordan Willis after a £4.3 million bid came in from LA Galaxy even disregarding my protests.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311e05263b.png

So on we go to preseason, it was a pretty decent preseason for all as everyone in the team got at least one full 90 minutes over the course of all the games. Some good results including wins at Leicester, Southampton and Gelsenkirchen. Overall a productive friendly period which hopefully will translate into the coming season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311ea88fdd.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311d687be4.png

Moving onto the transfers we had a busy summer with plenty of ins and outs at the club. We've signed a total of 13 players so far and another 15 leaving. 4 of these players, McDermott, Whelan, Barodal and Rowthorn go directly into the u23's. Losing Stevenson to Swansea was a blow but then the departure of Willis left a sizeable gap in the team, although Prestia came in as a cheaper like for like replacement. Transfers have been well so far with the club making a decent profit allowing for more potential signings and also upgrades to the facilities.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-311f49fdcd.png

Last part of the update is the competition review. The board have set the team some sizeable expectations in the league and cups. Obvious one is avoid relegation from the Championship which I believe is achievable given a good run at some point during the season. Cup expectations are a bit dubious, this is due to entering FA Cup in the third round can mean getting anyone at all and the EFL Cup is always tricky especially depending on who we get in the second round especially if we progress past the first round.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-31b8837560.png

Next update will be league and cup action from August and September.

14. August + September 2017

So we start the season as 2nd favourites to get the boot back down to League 1. All the transfers for the first have bedded in successfully during preseason so I am going into the season with optimism that we can survive and may be even not have to worry about relegation. I will be changing the format on how I write the bimonthly report, instead of focusing on the months and what happens I will be focusing on the separate competitions for that bimonthly period.

So we begin the update with the EFL Cup action. The board had set us an expectation of reaching the second round and we did just that but didn't go any further. We started off against Exeter in the first round and progressed winning 3-1 in normal time with goals from Folivi, Bigirimana and Olley. We the progressed to the second round and were paired against Newcastle who unfortunately ran out 3-1 winners themselves with only Olley getting on the score sheet for ourselves. With us going out of the competition we can now solely concentrate on the league until we enter the FA Cup in January.

Moving onto the league action. We have had a pretty good month overall. The season/month did not get off to the best of starts losing two games on the bounce against Fulham and Nottingham Forest. However, we managed to turn around our fortunes and went the rest of the month unbeaten and in fact winning the reminder of our games. This has left the club at the end of August in 3rd place on 12 points only 3 off top which is currently occupied by Burnley.

Moving into September we only have league action to worry about. If we can keep the momentum up it can really make our season and hopefully put us well clear of a relegation scrap but there is plenty of games to come so anything can happen. The month brought the club back to reality with a really hard month overall. Crushing defeats to Cardiff, Brentford and Aston Villa. We did turn it around though with 3 wins on our own right. The month ended with the club in 7th place and 8 points off top which is now occupied by Derby.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d8fdc278.png

So far its turned a bit into a go big or go home mentality with the club either winning or losing our games so far!

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d9123c8f.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d9236142.png

Transfer window slammed shut but the club did make 3 additional signing with Joe Willock, Roberto Obale and Tobias Warschewski joining and going directly into the u23s.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-43d925a3fe.png

Player of the last two months has to go down to George Olley who has contributed 7 goals and 4 assists over the last two months. Other honorable mentions are Michael Folivi with 6 goals and 4 assists and Brian Lenihan with 1 goal and 3 assists.

Next update will be October and November 2017.
    Last edited by issteo; 23/03/2017 at 11:08 PM.

15. October + November 2017 Update

As we move into October we are currently in the middle of a promotion dog fight instead of a relegation dog fight far from what I expected. The month consistent with 5 games, two of which I thought were easily winnable against Burton and Charlton and we did running out 3-1 and 4-1 winners respectively. In between those games we faced promotion hopefuls Burnley who unfortunately ran out 3-0 winners. We finished the month with a win at Reading followed by another win at Swansea. This left us in 2nd place with 33 points after 17 games, 3 points off Derby who occupy 1st place.

October also brought some good news as the youth facilities upgrades finished and this left us with a rating of great youth facilities and impressive training facilities. Some other good news is Fisher has decided to put the club up forsale again but unfortunately again this fell through.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9f0be73e.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9eba8270.png

Moving onto November and this is a pretty short month games wise with only 3 games during the month due to everyone’s favourite time pastime – internationals. We started of the month with a 3-2 win against Leeds before the international break. We return from the international break with a game against Oxford and we have finally drawn a game haha! Last game of the month takes us to Derby were awin would put us joint top but it wasn’t to be losing out 1-0. We end the month in 4th place on 37 points 6 off the top with 26 more games to go.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9ec60aa4.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9ecebf5a.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9eb2da7c.png

Clubs top player over the last two months goes down to Michael Folivi who has been banging in the goals regularly to keep us not only away from relegation but in the promotion hunt! Other honourable mentions are Josh Windass who is finally finding his feet and Jordan Turnbull who has been a rock in defence.

We also got notice that the United Kingdom has left the EU (shock horror). New permit rules will mean it’ll be noticeably harder for me to get players in from abroad and thus any English based players price will sky rocket.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9f057d2f.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9ef8cfbb.png A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a9eec8723.png
    Last edited by issteo; 25/03/2017 at 06:45 PM.

16. December 17 + January 18 Update

As we move into December looking back on the year has me amazed. We were begged as finishing no more than bottom half in League 1 at the start of 2017, I felt we were lucky to finish in the top half yet we went on to win the league by a comfortable margin. Now we are in the Championship not only ahead of where I want to be but also at this moment in time in a promotion dog fight instead of a relegation one.

Anyway, away from my opinions, December is as always a key month due to the amount of games we play. We have 7 games during the month and play 4 of those with a 2-week period. We started the month with a hard fought 1-0 win at QPR followed by 1-1 draw at Wigan. The month unravelled massively with two heavy defeats against Brighton and Fulham which left us with work to do during the festive period. Festive period went well for the team as they bucked up their ideas after those two defeats. We went unbeaten winning the 3 final games of the year to leave us in 3rd place on 50 points only 1 off the top which is occupied by Derby after 27 games.

As we move into 2018 we sit in the playoff places. My main aim now is to stay in the top half no matter what happens from now on as I feel we are well away from any kind of relegation battle. January consists of FA Cup and league action which I will cover below.

We started this years run in the FA Cup automatically going into the 3rd round. We were paired with Norwich who are now in the Premiership. We drew the game 3-3 and went into the replay knowing a win would set us up against Southampton in the 4th and we ended up running out 3-1 winners. Moving onto the 4th round tie with Southampton we draw 3-3 yet again thanks to an 85th minute equalizer from Josh Windass. If we progress we set up a 5th round tie at Aston Villa our conquerors in last years 4th round.

Moving onto league action in January we had a mixed month. We dropped points at Huddersfield, Cardiff (again), Brentford and Norwich. We did pick up wins at Wolves and Norwich which meant we ended the month in 5th place on 53 points, 6 points behind the league leaders Aston Villa after 31 games.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-82280e170a.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-82281c3a2d.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-8227f14518.png

The transfer window slammed shut in January again. We made 3 additions during the window with Prince Uzochukwu and Easah Suliman joing permanently, with Prince going straight out on loan as we didn’t get a work permit for him. We also brought in Ben Woodburn in on loan as cover for up front as we have only 2 other recognised strikers in the squad. Roberto Olabe and Stefano Scognamillo also left on loan this month to get more playing time.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-8228203a18.png

Overall top player over the last two months has to go to Josh Windass, he has popped up with some needed goals and has been involved a lot recently in the team. Other notable players are Tobias Warschewski who has came up from the u23's to play his part in the team as well along with midfield general Gael Bigirimana.

17. Feb + March 2018

Moving into February we have a busy month ahead as we have FA Cup and league action to look forward to.

FA Cup action up first and we have the 4th round replay against Southampton after the initial game ended in a 3-3 draw. It wasn’t to be this time around though again as we lost out 2-0 in replay meaning Southampton progress to face Aston Villa.

Moving onto league action we have everything to play for with the top 6 places not being separated by much, we started the month with 3 draws including 2 3-3 draws at Hull and Blackburn. Our luck continued to desert us as we lost 5-4 against Aston Villa who scored the winner in extra time to crown off a goal fest. We finished off the month a well needed 5-3 win at Burnley to leave us 5thplace on 59 points 12 off top which is still occupied by Aston Villa.

Moving into March it is a short month with 4 league games due to the international break. We started the month with a massive 6-1 win at Charlton to further our promotion credentials. However, we then went on to lose 2 games on the trot with late defeats to Ipswich and Reading. We finished off the month with a dreadful 5-1 defeat to Swansea which meant with other results going against us we dropped out of the promotion places and into 7th.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a196b4388.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a19727927.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a197904f8.png

Had my very first concrete job interview in regards to a vacant job at Rangers. I had obviously rejected the interview due to the fact of this save as I will be a one man club and still at Coventry throughout my career.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a198d5850.png

We also had my favourite period in the youth intake. This year we had a sizeable intake again but unfortunately, we didn’t get much in terms of quality, with only one player having the potential to make it as a mainstay in the first team if the opportunity ever arises.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-9a1965bcfc.png

Player of the last two months will go to Ben Woodburn who has came into the team and set the Championship a light with 9 goals and 2 assists in 10 games.

18. April/May 2018 + End of Season Review

Moving into the potentially the last full month of the season we know what we need to do to secure a place in the play offs and that is to win every game! The month did go to plan though unfortunately as we had a mixed bag of results. We started the month off with a 1-1 draw at Leeds followed by a 3-1 win at Oxford to leave the promotion race finely poised. However, we followed that up in the next 3 games with only 1 win at Wigan and 2 defeats at QPR and Derby. This left us at the end of April on 69 points and in 8th place, 2 points off the final playoff place currently occupied by Brentford. We go into the final game of the regular season in May knowing a win and loses for Brentford and Huddersfield would lead us into a playoff place.

As we went into the game I gave the players a little talk in the importance of it. However, it did not work as we ended up coming up short to lose 2-1 against Brighton to end our dreams of back to back promotions. The game itself was a story of 2 halves, I felt we dominated the first half but were unable to take our chances with Brighton coming out in the second half on fire and going 2-0 after 50 minutes. Although we did get a goal back it wouldn’t have made a difference in the grand scheme of things as Brentford ended up winning 3-0 at Birmingham to secure the final play off spot.

Moving onto the end of season awards and review. It has been a pretty good season for all with the club exceeding all expectations with the club finishing in 9th place and doing well all things considered in the cups. Moving into the end of season awards it was plain and simple, Greg Olley swept them up taking every club award available. Both Greg Olley and Michael Folivi also took home league awards with Player of the Year going to Olley and Young Player of the Year going to Folivi.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b9283dbd50.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b9283959f5.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b9284d59ac.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b92860aaa8.png

Finally, the commercial summary was a good understanding of where the club is going money wise. Everything has increased massively including sponsorship and broadcast revenue. Competition prize money did decrease which is to be expected as we didn’t win anything this time around.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-b928465162.png

19. Just caught up with this. Very unlucky not to make the playoff your form just seemed to dip nearing the end of the season. But still a great 2nd season and hopefully you can build on this next year. Always liked Coventry too.

20. Quote Originally Posted by burkeyoa View Post
    Just caught up with this. Very unlucky not to make the playoff your form just seemed to dip nearing the end of the season. But still a great 2nd season and hopefully you can build on this next year. Always liked Coventry too.
    Cheer! Aye they ran out of steam towards then kept picking up niggling injuries so planning on making changes to the coaching team.

21. Preseason + August 2018

So, after a fantastic season in our return to the Championship in which we finished 9th we have a lot to live up to in this upcoming season. Main plan is obviously to survive and finish as high aspossible in the league and then some good cup runs as well.

MONEY MONEY MONNEEYYYY!!!!

So, we bring the preseason preparations with some bloody fantastic news. Tim Fisher who has been desperately trying to sell the club during the course of the season has finally got his wish with Michael Carey buying him out and taking over the club. Michael himself cleared out the debt the club owed to Fisher and took the club public but also took out a wee loan of his own to cover costs.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d641f00.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d5c9bc4.png

Michael Carey took no time in pumping money into the club and I was obliged to take advantage of the clubs new found wealth. I did this by increasing the coaching team and increasing the junior coaching budget. I also asked and was successful in removing the scouting limitations and then upgraded the youth facilities yet again.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d8ea774.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d7334af.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d481496.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d410e53.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d3904be.png

Moving on to preseason and we had a jam packed preseason schedule with 10 games in total across the summer months. The games went well with 7 wins and 3 defeats out of the games played with some good results against Spurs, BMG and Southampton. Again every player in the squad got at least a full 90 minutes and plenty of goals scored over the 10 games with a total of 26 scored and 14 conceded.

Moving into the start of the season as usual we have league and EFL action during August. In the EFL Cup we again made it and went out in the second round. We were first paired with Cheltenham and ran out 5-1 winners with Warschewski netting himself a well deserved hatrick. Next we were draw against Bristol City, this a 50-50 game if nothing else ended in a 4-2 defeat after extra time with the lads dead on their feet and conceding twice in the last 5 minutes of extra time as we tried to go for a winner ourselves.

Moving on to league against and I am hoping for another good start like we got last year with lead us to finishing in the top half. We had 4 games in the month and we surprisingly went unbeaten only dropping points to fellow relegation contenders Ipswich in a 0-0 draw. This left us at the end of the month in 1st place on 10 points alongside Ipswich who are in second on 10 points after an unbeaten start as well.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d137366.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d21e7c0.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d2417ea.png

At the end of August the transfer window closed shut for another 4 months. We did make 7 additions to the squad to cover areas of the team with all but one coming in on frees. However, this is why I f*****g hate 'Brexit', all but one of the players failed to get a work permit meaning they all went straight back out on loan while I decide what do to, with January being the next time I can apply for one. Not one of them has played a senior international game and a few have been capped at youth level. Below is how my u23 team looks, Coric is there as I renewed his contract and he didn't get a work permit despite being in the country and already having played games the season before.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70d2f1773.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d70cf6a2b6.png

22. September - November 2018

As we move into September after a good August we are top of the pile unbeaten with 3 wins and 1 draw. September is broken month as we have the lovely annoying international break. Aim to just keep the good run going and getting enough points early so if we have a situation like last year we have built up our points so we don’t run into any problems later in the season.

September consisted of 5 games with the month broken up due to the internationals. We had a good run during the month dropping 5 points in total throughout the month with 3 wins, a draw and a defeat. We had big wins at Burnley and Burton winning 3-1 and 5-1 respectively, whilst also winning at Swansea. Our dropped points game in the 2-2 draw at Birmingham and a 2-0 defeat at Fulham. These results left us top of the pile still, with us on 20 points after 9 games one point clear of Sunderland in 2nd.

As the season starts to build a head of steam we move into October which is a busy month with 6 games in total. We had another successful month with the team picking up 4 wins and dropping 5 points with a loss and a draw. We start the month with a 5-2 win at MK Dons and ended it with a 2-1 defeat to Barnsley. During the month, we drew against Brentford and collected our other wins at Leeds, Reading and Sunderland. This left us again top of the pile on 33 points after 15 games, 5 points clear of Sunderland who still occupy 2nd place.

Moving into November we only have 3 games due another lovely annoying international break, I suppose this is alright as the club doesn’t have many players that receive call ups just yet so those who don’t have a 2-week break in between games. We started the month with a 5-2 win at fellow promotion hopefuls Bristol City to hopefully set the tone for the short month. We ended the month with another win and a defeat. We held on for a scrappy 1-0 win at Oxford and lost out to promotion favourites Middlesbrough 2-1. These results allowed us to maintain our position at the top of the table on 39 points after 18 games and move 7 points clear of 2nd place Sunderland.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0d81ab646c.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0d81a6d81a.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0d8191cfca.png

Only other development over the last 3 months is I was given an interview for the vacant Brighton job towards the end of November which I duly turned down.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-0d8173441e.png

23. 7 points clear at the top of the Championship. Looking like you will be in the Premier League next season, class!

24. Quote Originally Posted by Branaldo9 View Post
    7 points clear at the top of the Championship. Looking like you will be in the Premier League next season, class!
    Cheers, hopefully get an update out some time tonight.

Going good so far

25. Decemebr 2018 - February 2019

Moving onto December we are 7 points clear at the top ahead of a very busy month. The month didn’t start out great with us topping 5 points in the first two games alone with a defeat at Huddersfield follow by a 2-2 draw with Hull where we scored in injury time pull off a 2-goal come back. We followed this up to end the month picking up another 8 points with 2 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. This left us still in 1st place in league now 48 points with only a 2-point advantage over Sunderland who still occupy 2nd.

During December, I also had two job interviews, one for Swansea and yet again Rangers have comeback sniffing around me and obviously, I declined both.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-57cf4a5aec.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-57cf3338fe.png

Moving into January we have both league and FA Cup action to contend with as well as the January transfer window. We met Manchester City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and we lost out 5-1 in a game were they completely dominated us. Moving into league action we went the month unbeaten playing 4 games and winning all 4 in rather scrappy encounters. This left us at the top of the table still on 60 points after 29 games and we hold a 4-point advantage over Sunderland who still occupy 2nd place.

The January transfer window was a quiet one for the club with no one coming and only Andy Murdoch leaving to join Dundee United. Murdoch left after a season and a half at the club and featured in the defensive midfield roll playing 70 games in total and contributing 1 goal and 1 assist. He left for an initial 2 million and we have added on a few clauses so would could see more potential money from the transfer in the future.

As we move into the business end of the season we come into February. The month itself consisted of 5 games, all winnable and all winnable on the day. We ended the month taking 9 points out of a possible 15, winning 3 and losing two. The wins including two big wins at Burton and MK Don, wining 5-1 and 3-0 respectively. We lost 3-0 at Fulham and lost it late at Swansea 3-2 and picking up a hard fought 2-1 win at Birmingham. This left us still top thankfully on 69 points after 34 games with a 3 point advantage of Sunderland who still occupy 2nd.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-57cf0e4d47.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-57cf1deb94.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-57cf2f28ed.png
    Last edited by issteo; 06/04/2017 at 12:32 AM.

26. March 2019 - May 2019

As we get to March we have my favourite time of the year yet again with the new youth candidates. This year’s intake is nothing short of brilliant. We have 3 genuine players who could make it in the first team along with another 2 who could potential play a part as well.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1d03aa5d.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1cd954c6.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1cf2e904.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1e0a139a.png

Moving into the actual games in March we had 5 in total. We ended the month unbeaten but had only picked up 1 win and drew the other 4. We managed to scrap a 2-2 draw at Sunderland to keep our title ambitions alive, with the other 3 draws coming at Brentford, Barnsley and Reading. We ended the month with a 2-0 win at Bristol City, this left us somehow still top of the table on 76 points after 39 games with a 2-point advantage over Sunderland.

March ended with me being linked in the press to the vacant Arsenal post after Wenger getting the boot despite back to back Premier League title. I also had been asked for an interview with Middlesbrough which I turned down.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1d6b4226.png

We started April knowing that if we win our last remaining games we’d obviously win the title and gain promotion to the Premier League. Our run in is more difficult for us given our resources compared to Sunderland but I am confident if we don’t win the league we will still go up as we have a good bit of breathing space between us and 3rd place. The month didn’t get off to the greatest of starts as we lost 1-0 in injury time to Middlesbrough and 1-0 to Oxford to leave Sunderland out in 1st place 4 points ahead of us with 5 games to go. April truly turned into the month of hell as we ended the month not picking up a win at all and only taking 2 draws to leave us stranded in second place on 78 points after 44 games with Sunderland taking the lead with 85 points after 44 as well.

Moving into May we have two games remaining. The title is outside of our reach and automatic promotion is still a given although we only have a 6-point advantage over 3rd place. We go into the penultimate game of the season against Peterborough knowing a point will see us promoted. The game was a feisty encounter with the scores ending 4-3 in our favour as we are back in the premier division for the first time since the 2000/01 season. We ended the season unfortunately with a 2-1 defeat at QPR which is annoying and removed the cherry from the cake but meh!

WE ARE GOING UP I SAY WE ARE GOING UP!!!

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1d3d5647.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1d301fc4.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6a1d716a71.png
    Last edited by issteo; 06/04/2017 at 10:46 PM.

27. Competition Review 2018/19

So, we come to the 2018/19 season review. Ithas been a fantastic season for the club and it has netted us our 2ndpromotion inside 3 years and hopefully will be our last! The club has exceeded all expectations and to be honest I feel we are probably around 3 years ahead of where I was expecting. The commercial side of the was okay everything was down apart from sponsorship which is surprising due to the fact we had a fantastic season and ended it in 2nd so work to do there.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b88d44e79.png

Anyway, on to the awards and we’ll cover the club’s individual awards first. Before we do that though I’ll briefly go over the key stats for the season, Tobias Warschewski came into the team andabsolutely dominated up front before incurring a series of injuries ending the season with 25 goals, Greg Olley also ended the season as the club’s top assister with 14 over the course of the season. Finally, Giuseppe Prestia was a rock in defence along with Jordan Turnball and topped the average ratings with 7.29 overall.

Moving onto the club’s awards Jordan Turnball took home both the club player of the year and the young player of the year. Josh Windass took home the goal of the season award with a thunderbolt against Swansea and Josh Sheehan took home the award for signing of the season.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b88ce7aad.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b88b93a08.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b88c63a17.png

On to the seasonal awards and we’ll keep it short and sweet. Michael Folivi yet again had a cracker of a season as he took the Championships Young Player of the Year award has he finished the season with 22 goals and 10 assists. I will miss him if I can’t persuade both him and Watford to return the club permanently after 3 years at the club where he has scored 61 goals and bagged 26 assists and 15 POTM awards over 109 appearances at the club. I took home the Championships Manager of the Year awards which was a pleasant surprised.

Finishing it off we have 5 players involved in Championships Players Select squad. Giuseppe Prestia, Greg Olley and Gael Bigirimana made the team and Connor Ogilvie and Michael Folivi making the substitutes.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b88f7c106.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b88fd7e45.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-6b89076674.png

28. Have been away for a while and whilst playing I forgot to get screenshots every couple of months. Will continue with an update hopefully tomorrow.

29. 2019/20 Review

Apologies before hand this will be a longish update due to forgetting to get screenshots and document everything. Anyway where to begin? Coventry are back in the big leagues for the first time since being relegated back in the 2000/01 season. Beginning with the summer months we had two upgrades at the club with the youth facilities being further updated and the club installing under soil heating meaning it is now up to standard. Preseason itself was as to be expected with 11 games over the summer months with the club winning 8, drawing 2 and only losing the 1 game.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-7.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-8.png

Moving on, we go into the season filled with hope if not much else as I do not want to turn into a yo-yo club. Anyway across all 3 competitions we performed well in the league managing to build up a head of steam to shave off relegation and finishing 17th 4 points clear of the relegation places. Moving onto the cup competitions we had a meh campaign and a extremely satisfying competition. We had a run to the semi finals in the League Cup eventually crashing out to Man United 3-1 on aggregate who eventually won the cup. Moving onto the FA Cup we crashed out in the 3rd round losing 3-1 to Arsenal with the competition eventually won by Man United as well.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-3.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-4.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-5.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions-2.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions-3.png

We had two successful transfer windows. During the summer we brought in a few players to cover the required positions we needed with Ashley O'Reilly, Owen Hart, Liam Walsh, Mohamed Abdellaoui and Gerardo Fontana going directly into the u23 team. We also had the annual youth intake and we had two notable youth players coming in and hopefully will we can build on the standard of youth players at the club.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-transfer-history.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city-youth-candidates_-squad-players.png

Ending it off we have the end of season awards. Jordan Turnbull took home the FPOY award which was fully deserved with his partnership with Doria who took signing of the season allowed us to get more stronger at the back saving us from relegation. Josh Windass took home the clubs goal of the season and he was also runner up for the overall league goal of the season losing out to Adam Lallana. Finally Sam Gallagher took home the YPOY award has he starred through the season contributing a total of 17 goals and 5 assists.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-5.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-3.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-4.png

30. 2020/2021 Season update

Moving into the 2020/21 season we look forward to another season in the Premier League I suppose by the skin of our teeth. This time we are looking for a bit more consistency on the pitch as we aim for that magical 40 point mark which is usually a safe bet for survival.

First things first this season I had quite a few job offers, mainly international job offers but also one from Aston Villa which I gladly turned down. I decline any of the international job offer as I felt I couldn't divide my time whilst benefitting both so I decided to stick solely with the Sky Blues.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-france.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-holland.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-italy.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-portugal.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-villa.png

After beating relegation I went about building for the future. I met with the board and managed to persuade them to part with money and upgrade the junior coaching budget and also the recruiting network. This will allow me to recruit and develop the best for the club.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-recruiting-network.png

Moving onto the season itself we start with the transfers, covering both summer and January ones. We made strengthening signings to both defence and midfield plus we made a few signing for the u18s and u23s to strengthen both now and for the future. The only notable outgoing was Jordan Turnball who left for Sheffield United as I couldn't guarantee him the playing time he wanted.

The season itself had its ups and downs. Cup wise we never had a chance as we met the big teams early enough on in both the EFL and FA Cup as we crashed out in both cups at the 4th round stage. League wise we ended up finishing in 16th position on 39 points 8 clear of the relegation places as we survived another season in the top flight. Our terrible start to the season left us with an uphill battle as we got to the end of October with only 6 points after 10 games meaning we were always in a scrap to avoid relegation to be honest. However our end of season form again allowed us to pull away in the end and safely preserve our status in the top flight.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions-2.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-2.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-3.png

Moving onto the end of season awards we have a cause to celebrate as we have yet again managed to defy everyone and kept our top flight status. Beginning with the FPOTY it was a tight affair with Josh Windass eventually taking it with a 34% share of the vote closely followed by Jodi Jones who took home 28% of the vote. Runner up to the FPOTY, Jodi Jones took home the YPOTY which was well deserved playing well in the middle of the park and contributing 4 goals and 3 assists to the cause. Baba Rahman took home the signing of the whilst Gaston Pereiro won goal of the season.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-10.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-8.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-9.png

End with the commercial summary the club is doing well. Sponsorship has raised to just short of £16 million a season. Other notable influences is the broadcasting revenue which has dropped this season but only by £8 million and the competition prize money had rose to £11.25 million and I hope it will increase year on year.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-11.png

Updates will return again to one every 4 months as I have a bit more free time again!

31. Competition Updates

This post is purely for anyone wondering how things have went on ingame in the first 5 years of this save. It will be split up into individual nation and cover the popular leagues with contential competitions as well. Both Euros and World Cup are covered as well even though there has been 1 of each so far but there has been some big shocks.

England
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb1a3b3d2b.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb1a491753.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb1a50608b.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb1a29df39.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb1a049790.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb1a1dee72.png

Spain
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb27a55a5e.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb27973dc7.png

France
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb33b6a865.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb337efe83.png

Germany
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb3d3127f7.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb3d4128a5.png

Italy
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb4294b2da.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb4285daab.png

Scotland
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb4e4d74ba.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb4e5bb6d1.png

Continental Cups
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb5cd4f386.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb5cc7fbb4.png

International Cups
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb61149ed3.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-fb611aa59d.png

You've seen that right England won the World Cup itself. Updates like this will follow every 5 years as long as I am manager of Coventry and if I get the boot I'll do a final update on the competitions. If anyone wants me to look at a time for the last 5 years or a player let me know!

32. Preseason + August 2021

Moving into our 3rd season mixing it with the big boys we again are up against it as yet again we are favourites to go down but this time expecting to finish 19th and not 20th. Club has had a busy summer with both plenty of transfers and friendlies being played as we try to build some momentum.

Before I go into preseason I was asked for an interview with Celtic, as they attempt to find a manager to replace the recently departed Neil Lennon who has moved on to FC Porto. Celtic after all have just came off yet another title win to achieve the magically 10 in a row which they seem to be more than capable of doing in real life too. Anyway I declined it as it wasn't for me as I want to take Coventry to the higher echelons of the game!
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-2f1d60b809.png

Moving on we quite a busy summer as we went on tour to the States. In total we played 10 friendlies with 2 of those coming against the u23's and u18's for a run out against the 1st team to see who could perform. The other 8 friendlies went well as we picked up 7 wins and 1 draw and along the way we thrashed Inter 5-1. Preseason also consistent of major transfer activity. We had 21 players leave the club on various deals with 12 leaving permanently and the rest on loans. We also made 7 additions to the club with 3 going straight into the u23s and 4 going to play a part in the 1st team. The biggest signing for us of the window was getting Joe 'The Welsh Pirlo' Allen in on a free to not only add steel to the midfield but also to bring a bit of experience to the team.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-2fa67185eb.png

Moving on to the juicy stuff. August consisted of 4 league games and a EFL 2nd round game. We had a mixed bag of results in the league with us taking 4 points from a possible 12 as we drew against Arsenal on the opening day before winning at Middlesbrough. However, we then lost heavily to Manchester City and couldn't keep our heads as Newcastle won 3-2 thanks to a last minute winner in the 95th minute. We faced Oxford United in the 2nd round of the EFL Cup and we ran out 3-0 winners meaning we progress to the 3rd round where we are facing Cardiff for a place in the 4th round.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-2fa66aa2d7.png

Best start we have had in the 3 years in the Premier League to leave us in 13th place well in the mix for everything apart from the title haha!
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-2fa663f3fa.png

33. September - December 2021

As the season get properly going I know I'm in for another tough year in the Premier League, just because its the Premier League and the quality of the teams. We had a decent August which gave us a pillar to work on. I'll be separating this into league and cup sections plus anything that needs to be covered at the end.

Cups
    So far we're only in the EFL Cup as the FA Cup doesn't get started for us until January but we have been drawn against Wolves so have that to look forward to. The EFL is always a decent cup to try and win as it gets you into Europe and so far the furthest I've gotten is to be put out by Man United in the semis a few years ago.

After wining the 3rd round we were drawn against Everton which is always now a winnable match as they are a mixed bag and we ran out 2-1 winners on the night to set up a quarter final appearance against Southend. Going into the quarter final I knew with how results have went this competition is now winnable getting the right route to the final. We went into the game at Southend and came out 3-0 winners. This left us, West Ham, Stoke and Brighton in the semis of which I got West Ham, definitely the hardest of the teams left so we'll have to be on our toes in January as we try to make it to a cup final.

League Action
    After a tight start to the season we know what we have to do to keep our place in the Premier League and that is to win games. Hoping to do this at the start rather than the end so there is no stress. September was a quiet month in the league with only 3 games played but we came out with a win against Leeds and drawing and losing against Chelsea and Spurs respectively to leave us sitting in 14th place.

Moving on to October and November we played a total of 7 games but only winning 1 and drawing 1 against Watford and Liverpool respectively. We suffered heavy moral sapping defeats at United and Sheffield Wednesday to leave us in 17th place only 2 points above the relegation places.

In December we faired far far better has we played 6 games over the course of the month. During the month we had big wins at Brentford and Aston Villa whilst only losing two games very late again West Ham and Everton, 3-2 and 1-0 respectively. This left us this time in 13th place on 24 points, 7 points clear so far from the relegation places.
    Name:  Coventry_City_Competitions.png
Views: 254
Size:  23.8 KBName:  Coventry_City_Senior_Fixtures.png
Views: 255
Size:  26.4 KB

Other notes
    Only other noticeable point from the previous 4 months is that the club has decided to expand there horizons a little and go for an affiliate club. We ended up partnering with North Carolina in the States which will hopefully be benefit to us as we increase our fan base.
    Name:  Stephen_Mc_Colgan_Inbox-2.png
Views: 255
Size:  12.0 KB

34. January + Feb 2022

Moving into 2022 the club is doing pretty well, going well in the league with an EFL final appearance coming up we are well set.

League Action
    January was a short month in regards to league action as we only played 3 games during the month due to cup appearances. We started the month with a tight 2-1 loss to Middlesbrough which was then followed by another loss to Newcastle this time losing 1-0. We did bring it back though as we ended the months league action with a 1-0 win at Spurs which left us in 14th place in the league.

Moving into February we had a more packed schedule with a mixed bag of results. We picked up 2 wins with 1-0 wins at Leeds and Man City. However, the result of the month we had 3 big loses against Chelsea, Liverpool and Southampton, losing 3-1, 3-0 and 2-0 respectively.

Cup Action
    First up we have the FA Cup. We were paired with Wolves in the 3rd round draw and ended up gaining a credible draw after I made changes to the team to give some of the players that have not featured much a run out. We did however win the replay 4-2 although this was after extra time. As we progressed to the 4th round we were drawn against Sunderland. This time we weren't as lucky, we initially drew the game 0-0 but in the replay we were beat 2-1 as we crashed out.

Moving onto League Cup action we were drawn against West Ham with Stoke facing off against Brighton in the other semi final. First leg was at home and we came out with a very good 1-0 win thanks to a late cracker from Sam Gallagher. In the 2nd leg we got lucky as we lost 4-3 in extra time but progressed to the final on away goals as it ended 4-4. With us progressing to the final we will meet Stoke who prevailed against Brighton which will be covered in a separate post.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-1fc57c1828.png
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-1fc5930d1a.png

January Transfer Window
    The January transfer window was pretty quiet again for the club. We had one coming in and one leaving permanently whilst having a few players leaving on loan. We signed Carlos Ocampo from San Martin who plays as a central attacking midfielder who will add depth to the area. Connor Ogilive left the club to join Birmingham which wasn't a big loss as we have Baba Rahman as the first choice and 2 young players coming through who will both provide back up.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-1fc5967ad5.png

35. EFL Cup Final 2022

So here we are in our first cup final appearance! We face off against Stoke for not only our first cup trophy but also for a place in the Europa League (Euro Cup) next season. It is also the clubs first ever League Cup final appearance in their history.

Anyway moving on first up is the line up as we line up with a 4-2-3-1 which has held us well in many other previous games, Stoke themselves line up a little different as they go with a 4-1-2-3. Aim of the game is to control the game and hit them on the break as aim to win no matter what.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-v-stoke_-coventry-team-selection-overview.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-200aa77eba.png

First Half
    First half was pretty quiet with not many chances to speak of. Only really chance came to Sam Gallagher as he missed a one on one chance with David Soria who pulled off a great save.

Second Half
    Stoke dominated the first 15 minutes of the second half as it was all them so I switched from Control mentality to a Defensive mentality. Alex McCarthy and the defence were the heroes of the second half as they weathered a Stoke storm as they continued to dominate overall although we did manage to hold our own and take the game into Extra Time.

Extra Time and Penalties
    Extra time went by with a blur as the players used the period really to get a second wind with no major happenings as the game petered out and went to penalties. Alex McCarthy secured the man of the match award for me as he saved 3 penalties allowing us to run out 3-2 winners with Gallagher, Pereiro and Trinks converting whilst Molumby and Doria missing theirs.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-205a3b7ad8.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-205a2d7ac6.png

Yeeeoooo won our first cup competition and also means we will now be competing in the Europa League during the 2022/23 season.
    Rushton likes this.

36. Really enjoyed reading this so far!
    No one ever does a ccfc story so as a fan for years it's nice to read, ive just started a save and am in the playoffs of league 1 in March so I hope to go up too, George Thomas is firing me this year,
    Hope you continue this and have more success
    issteo likes this.

37. Quote Originally Posted by ajlewis93 View Post
    Really enjoyed reading this so far!
    No one ever does a ccfc story so as a fan for years it's nice to read, ive just started a save and am in the playoffs of league 1 in March so I hope to go up too, George Thomas is firing me this year,
    Hope you continue this and have more success
    Cheers ajlewis93! Nearly towards the end of my current season so will get an update out tonight or tomorrow morning. GT is a good player it seems in every save bar mine haha he broke his leg in my first season then developed a blood clot so didn't play and had to release him as couldn't fit him into my team

38. End of Season run in 2022

So after the high of winning the EFL Cup we now return to league action as we try and improve on our position as unless something drastic happens we are safe for another season.

March

Moving onto March we played a total of four games during the month as there was an international break towards the end. Our first game after winning the cup was at home to Sheff Wed and we were brought back down to earth with a 4-2 lose. We followed up that defeat through with 2 consecutive draws, drawing 3-3 at Watford as we secured a point and the death and a 0-0 draw against Man United with some very good defending. We finished up the month hammering Sunderland 3-0. These results left us in 12th position in the league now well clear of the relegation places.

April
    Moving into April we were at the business end of the season and new we were safe from the drop. We went unbeaten during the month playing 4 games and picking up 2 wins and 2 draws as we further cement our place in mid table. We opened up with a 2-1 win at M69 rivals Leicester following that up with 1-1 draw at Brentford. We then welcomed beaten EFL Cup finalists Stoke and went away with another 2-1 win followed by yet another 1-1 draw at West Ham. This left us safely in 12th place with some breathing room and allowed us to look at going higher going into our last two games in May.

May
    Last two games of the season in May and it is turning into a bit of a pattern. We came into our penultimate game against Everton and ran away with a 2-1 win. We followed this up then with the final game of the season we came up against Aston Villa who we've a poor record against and came away with a credible 1-1 draw. These results left us ending the season in 11th place which is our best finish yet!

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions.png

Youth Intake
    We also had our youth intake in March and as always it has been a decent intake with some players having good potential to come through and if arm is not twisted stay at the club and go on to play a big part.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city-youth-candidates_-squad-players.png

39. 2021/2022 Seaon Review

So here we are at the end of another season in the Premier League and by God has it been a good one. We had our best ever finish yet in the Premier League and capped it off with winning the EFL Cup meaning we will be making our first visit into Europe next season. Anyway below I'll cover the season and the awards that have been received by the players.

So first thing first is the player stats! Many of the goals and such were shared around between all the attackers with almost everyone else chipping in with a goal.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-players-players.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-players-players-2.png

Moving onto the commercial summary the club has done pretty well for itself again this season. The club has seen all annual revenue totals increase apart from broadcast revenues but can't really complain as it is still the major piece of income the club has. Jodi Jones has been the most popular shirt seller with Allen and Gallagher joining him in the top 3.

Going into the club players awards it was pretty much self explanatory throughout the season. Doria who took home FPOTY was an absolute rock in defense and has played himself into contention next year for either the captain or vice captain role. We also have Abel Ruiz take the other awards on offer with him taking goal of the season, signing of the season and YPOTY award as he really came into his own after a shaky start finishing the year with 13 goals and 7 assists.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-2.png

Finally the overall season review as brought to you by my Press Officer Andrew Palmer. We had some cracking results with the 6-4 win at Watford taking the game of the season, whilst the 5-1 drubbing against Manu United was our moment to forget this year. The games itself had an average attendance of 29,202 meaning the stadium was 89% full on average all year.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-3.png

Goals for next season are below:
    • Do well in the league
    • Good domestic cup runs
    • Try and qualify for the main Euro Cup draw and see where it takes us
    • Discuss with board potential for new stadium
    • Keep key players and improve certain positions

40. I got promoted via the playoffs in my first season in league 1, then a tycoon bought the club so I spent £25m on players in the summer, currently 1st in the championship!
    issteo likes this.

41. Quote Originally Posted by ajlewis93 View Post
    I got promoted via the playoffs in my first season in league 1, then a tycoon bought the club so I spent £25m on players in the summer, currently 1st in the championship!
    That happened to me as well was brought over and the club was floated on the stock exchange. I got them debt free but now loaded with debt as they've decided on their own to go and build a new stadium which you'll see in the next update haha

42. Summer 2022

So he I go into my 7th year as manager of Coventry City. Last season was definitely our best year as we finished 11th in the Premier League and topped it off with taking home the EFL Cup and going into the qualifying rounds of the Euro Cup.

Announcements
    First of two announcements we have. The club has decided to splash out on the cash and upgraded the training facilities which is always a bonus as we already have excellent facilities. Moving onto the major announcement and it is a biggen! The board have decided we have outgrown our stay at the Ricoh Arena and have gotten planning permission to build a brand new 45,261 seater stadium! This will allow us to garner extra income but I am a little bit worried about the newly added debt being added to the club but oh well, on wards and upwards.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-4.png

Preseason
    Preseason started with a training camp in the States where we played 3 games before returning home. We won two games, a 3-1 win at Atlanta United and 2-0 at Charlotte, whilst drawing 1-1 with Louisville. Wouldn't be our last trip to the States however as we came back and played a friendly against North Carolina winning 3-0. Our other friendlies consistent of a mixed bag of results overall. We had wins at Everton, SLB and Valencia whilst losing to Barcelona, Sevilla and Leiria and gaining a very credible draw at Juventus to leave us well prepared for the season ahead.

Euro Cup
    We begin our European adventure by making the short trip up to Scotland to face the 'mighty' Rangers over two legs to see who will progress to the Euro Cup Playoff. The first leg was a home and was a rather dull affair as we drew 1-1, as we opened the scoring via an Adam Maher penalty before we conceded a late equaliser from Robert Harris. The second leg was a different affair though as we ran out 3-1 winners thanks to a cracker of a goal from Pereiro to set us on our way with other goals from Gallagher and Uzochukwu before Rangers pulled one back via Jordan Rossiter. This set us up with Nacional de Madeira in the Playoff round.

Moving into the Euro Cup Playoff we face off against Portuguese side Nacional de Madeira. Another good game was had as we came out 3-0 winners to set up a potential Euro Cup main draw. Bigirimana sent us on our way before the game was closed out via goals from Gallagher and Rahman. We went to sunny Portugal for the second leg and came home with a hard earned 2-0 victory thanks to goals from Gallagher and Jones.

Onto the draw and we've been drawn with Sporting, Dinamo and Lech. This is a decent group and would bank us on getting out of it but as always anything can happen but lets go and see where it takes us!
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-6.png

League Action
    I said last season we had our best ever start? Well we've just went and knocked it out of the bag. We started the season with a daunting game against Man City but after a magical defensive display we game away with a 1-0 win thanks to Adam Maher penalty. Our next game up was at Aston Villa were we game away with a draw after conceding a last minute equaliser. We finished August off with a 1-0 win at West Brom thanks beaut of a free kick from Bigirimana. This unbeaten start to the season has left us in 5th place on 7 points, 2 points of 1st place currently occupied by Sunderland who are the only team 3 from 3.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-competitions.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures.png

Transfers
    We had pretty quite summer in the transfers in side as we only signed 4 players as there is some depth in the u23's who will play some point in the coming season. Incoming players Dani Olmo, Hachim Mastour and Joe Wildsmith come straight into the senior squad and will play their parts throughout a potential long season and Abdou Diallo goes into the u23's and may get a few games throughout the season. In the outgoing transfer the two major players leaving were Joe Allen who signed for Las Palmas and back up Gabriel only spending one season at the club before leaving for Corinthians. Squad players Prestia, Suliman, Fernandes, Lucio and Telfer also left on paid transfers after not being able to nail out a permanent fixture in the team. Several others left on loan or on frees as we cleared out some space for future transfers.

Next update will include September through to December and will be up either tomorrow night or Monday night but don't quote me on it haha

43. September - December 2022

Things are currently going well for Coventry even with a few surprises as we continue on and are now approaching 2023 and have way through the season.

Domestic Cup Action
    This is a pretty brief update with only the EFL Cup to cover at this point and it has only been one game. We were paired with Southampton in the 3rd round and went out in the 3rd round. It was a tight game and unfortunately we fell to a late 3-2 defeat thanks to a 88th minute winner from the spot for Southampton coolly put away by Gabbiadini.

FA Cup 3rd round draw has also been made and we are taking a brief trip to Wales as we face Cardiff.

Europa League Action
    This is were the surprises happen. Although we were given a relatively easy enough group with Sporting my only main worry its FM and anything can happen. However not to worry as we ended the group stage on top winning 4 and drawing 2 to remain unbeaten. With it being the clubs first appearance in Europe we started off with a 2-1 at Dinamo before following it up with a 2-0 win against Lech. We moved onto the double header with Sporting, travelling to Portugal and coming home with a 3-2 win before drawing 3-3 at home more or less securing our progression to the knock out rounds. We welcomed Dinamo to the Ricoh Arena and came away with a handy 3-3 draw. Our final game of the group stage we needed a win to secure top spot but had already qualified regardless and we went to Poland and thrashed Lech 7-3 to secure top spot.

We will travel to the Fatherland for the first leg of the first knockout round as we have been paired against Wolfsburg.

League Action
    After an impressive start to the season we move into September with only 3 games to play thanks to a pesky international break. We started off with welcoming Huddersfield and we walked away with a 5-1 win thanks to 4 first half goals. Next up we welcomed West Ham but could not follow up the impressive win as we lost out 2-0 after travelling back from Croatia. We ended the month with a visit to Sheffield Wednesday and we went back to Coventry with a 4-2 win thanks to doubles from Mastour and Gallagher. This left us in 6th place early on as look to keep up our early pace.

October however was a different matter as it wasn't a great month as we finished the month with 2 draws and 2 loses. First up we went to Southampton and came back with a 0-0 draw before following it up with a 1-0 defeat to Liverpool thanks to a late Jodi Jones own goal. Next up we welcomed Arsenal who beat us 3-1 thanks to two late goals from Dembele and Firmino. We ended the month with a visit to Everton and came back with a 2-2 draw thanks to a late equaliser from Jodi Jones. This unkind month left us in 10th place in the league still well above expectations.

November was another quite month as we had another international break. Month game wise wasn't that bad as we lost 4-1 to Spurs before bouncing back with a 2-0 win at Middlesbrough thanks to goals from Doria and Ruiz. We ended the month with a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth as they equalised late on through Deeney after Molumby opened up the scoring with his first goal for the club. We moved up a place into 9th as we continued our good start to the season.

December as always is a busy month in the league with a total of 7 games being played across the month. We opened up with a 1-0 defeat at Stoke before getting a fantastic draw at Chelsea thanks to some superb defensive work. Next two games were against Newcastle and Sunderland and we crashed to a 5-1 defeat against Newcastle before losing again 2-0 to Sunderland. We welcomed Leicester to the Ricoh Arena for the M69 Derby and we went riot winning 6-0 thanks to doubles from Ruiz and Maher before Mastour and Olaleye finished it up. We welcomed Ma United to the Ricoh Arena for the Boxing Day game and went on to lose 2-1 thanks to a defensive mix-up at the end. Final game of the year saw us take the trip to Aston Villa and came away with a 1-1 draw to end the year. This left us on 24 points after 20 games in 13th with Spurs and Man United fighting it out at the top.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-coventry-city_-senior-fixtures-2.png

Other Announcements
    I fucking absolutely without a doubt hate international football.

No fucking shit Sherlock

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-stephen-mccolgan_-inbox-2.png

44. January - March 2023

Moving into 2023 we continue to progress and do well in the league but the big news is our European adventure still continues strongly as we have made it into the Quarter Finals.

FA Cup Action
    We begin our FA Cup adventure against Cardiff and progressed to the 4th round thanks to a goal from Ocampo in a 1-0 win. Next up we faced Watford in the 4th round and we progress to the 5th round in a hard fought 1-0 win thanks to a goal from Maher after Molumby was sent off and we played 65 minutes with 10 men. Our FA Cup journey ended in the 5th round as round as we crashed out against Arsenal 3-2 despite a late double from Abel Ruiz. This left us to concentrate our efforts elsewhere.

League Action
    We begin 2023 by welcoming Man City to the Ricoh Arena and we came out with a 4-1 win thanks to a late 10 minute hatrick from Sam Gallagher. We then faced off against West Brom and Huddersfield and overcame them both in hard fought victories winning 1-0 and 3-2 respectively. We ended the month with a 2-1 defeat against Sheffield Wednesday with Ben Hur opening his Coventry account which turned out to be nothing more than a consolation, this left us in 10th place as we move on to February.

We had a mixed month in February as we came away with 2 wins and 2 narrow losses. We started off with a 2-1 win against West Ham thanks to a Gallagher double. We followed this up however with back to back 1-0 losses to both Southampton and Liverpool as we suffered a set back as we try and grab another adventure in Europe next season. We finished the month with an impressive victory at Everton winning 1-0 thanks to a late Maher goal to leave us in 11th place.

It all went balls up though in March as we only played two league games thanks to a pesky international break but in those two games we conceded 7 goals and only scored 1 as we suffered a major set back. First up we faced Spurs who are keeping up a fight as they try to pip Man United to the title and rightly hammered us 4-0 as we were completely outplayed. We followed this up with a slightly improved performance against Middlesbrough but lost out 3-1 as we squandered our chances with Gallagher getting a consolation and Rahman getting the boot late on as we finished with 10 men. This left us dropping a further place and down into 12th on 39 points, 7 points behind Chelsea who occupy the last European spot.

European Action
    We continued on our European adventure as we faced off against Wolfsburg in the 1st Knockout round and after a tense 2nd leg we progressed to the 2nd Knockout round after overcoming Wolfsburg 8-5 on aggregate. We won the first leg comfortable 3-1 thanks to goals from Gallagher, Ocampo and Windass before returning for the second leg as we overcame a determined Wolfsburg 5-4 with goals from Mastour, Gallagher and Maher sending us through.

We were drawn against Portuguese opposition again as we came up against Maritimo. After a 5-0 first leg triumph thanks to a hatrick from Gallagher along with Ocampo and Mastour we knew unless a horror show we will progress to the Quarter Finals. We travelled to Portugal and came home with a 2-1 defeat but still progressed 6-2 on aggregate as we heavily rotated. We were drawn against Liverpool in the Quarter Finals so unless there is a miracle that's the end of our European journey.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-48be817367.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-48be919a9e.png

January Transfer Window + Youth Intake
    First up we have the January transfer window and it was an extremely quiet one for the club. We had no one coming in during the transfer window as the only transfer I was targeting in Kieran Tierney fell through. We had a few loans renewed in January and only Francesco La Celso leaving permanently as he joined Valenciennes FC.

Moving onto the youth intake and it was another good year for the club, we had several players coming in who could definitely play a part in the future.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-4847250aef.png
    Below are probably the best two players of the intake with Waters being retrained into a central attacking midfielder as in none of my current formations do I have any width in my team.
    A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-4847149f4b.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-48472e0b31.png

Rushton likes this.

45. End of season run in 2023

I have a team full of absolute bottle jobs!

Europa League

We were drawn against Liverpool in the quarter finals with the first leg taking place at Anfield. We went there with great expectations hopefully being able to return with a low scoring defeat or lucky enough to get a draw. However it wasn't to be as we were completely outplayed and lost 3-0. Going into the 2nd leg we knew our backs were against the wall but managed to fight it out a bit drawing the 2nd leg 3-3 thanks to goals from Molumby and Gallagher. Competition was eventually won by West Ham as they beat Anderlecht 4-1 in the final.

League Action
    Going into April we were still in with a chance of qualifying for Europe against as we were 7 points behind 6th place but it wasn't to be as we went into a full on meltdown. We played 5 games in total in April, drawing two and losing the other three. We drew 1-1 against Bournemouth and Sunderland respectively with Mastour getting the opening goal in the Bournemouth game and Ruiz getting an injury time equaliser against Sunderland. We then went on to suffer heavy defeats against Arsenal (3-1), Chelsea (2-0) and Stoke 5-0 as we conceded 4 in the second half after Molumby was sent off. This left us in 15th place in the league well off the pace and no chance of qualifying for Europe.

Going into May we had 3 games remaining in the league and managed to win one as it was our first win in 7 games. We started the month visiting Leicester for the m69 derby and came out 2-1 winners thanks to goals from Mastour and Gallagher. Next up we faced Newcastle who were chances continental football and beat us 1-0 before we finished the season off at Man United who had already been crowned champions and beat us 2-0. We ended the season in 14th place, 3 down on where we finished last year but well clear of the relegation places in terms of points despite our melt down.

Man United, Spurs, Newcastle and Arsenal all finished in the top 4 in that order as Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and Huddersfield all were relegated to the Championship. Liverpool and Man United took home the EFL and FA Cup respectively.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-749373e430.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-74936c4bb0.png
    Rushton likes this.

46. 2022/23 Season Review

So we come to the end of yet another season and it has currently had its highs and lows. We did alright in the league despite our late meltdown and made an effort in the domestic cups. Our biggest high was making it to the quarter finals of the Euro Cup before crashing out to Liverpool. Anyway on the awards and so on.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-74bf61c058.png

First up is the seasonal awards.

Doria took home the Fans Player of the Year after getting 54% of the vote, with the Gael Bigirimana (19%) and Sam Gallagher (16%) joining him the top 3. This was a bit of surprise as I thought Gallagher would have got more of the vote share due to the amount of goals he scored or assisted but ah well fans are fickle. Abel Ruiz took home the Young Player of the Year which again was well deserved as he came in when needed and got the team some important goals. Carlos Ocampo took home the Goal of the Season after a cracker in the Euro Cup against Maritimo and Hachim Mastour took home Signing of the Season after coming in on a free and making his way in the side and staying there after a slow start.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-74bf515bb9.png

Moving onto the commercial summary and again the club has done well. We have seen an increases in everything apart from the broadcasting revenue which has dropped again down 14m from last year. We have seen a slight increase in the competition revenue with isn't much but is counts despite our poor showing in the league and finishing down on last year. Doria sold the most shirts this year at the club with Bigirimana, Jones, Gallagher and Molumby joining him in the top 5 selling shirts.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-74bf6b1281.png

On the last note there has been a sizeable record broken which is the average attendance which is now 29,352 up on the high of 27,971 which was set in 2020. This bodes well as we will be moving into a brand spanking new stadium at the end of next season so onwards and upwards for the club attendees.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-88203895f6.png

Goals for next season
    • Hold onto the best players at the club
    • Finish in a higher position than we did this season
    • Attempt to win another cup or qualify for Europe via the league

47. Good season up til April then! I hate finishing poorly, but go again next season, I'm sure a few good signings in the transfer window will enable you to reach that next level, enjoying this story though so keep it up
    issteo likes this.

48. Quote Originally Posted by ajlewis93 View Post
    Good season up til April then! I hate finishing poorly, but go again next season, I'm sure a few good signings in the transfer window will enable you to reach that next level, enjoying this story though so keep it up
    Cheers Aj! Had a load of niggle injuries and suspensions so didn't help at all but could've been worse.

49. Preseaon + August 2023

Here we go into another season as we continue our onward march in the Premier League, this will cover the summer and up until the end of the summer transfer window!

Preseason
    This year our preseason trip we went to the states again as we have done last year. We lined up games against Colorado, San Jose and Vancouver before we left and beat both Colorado and Vancouver 1-0 before drawing at San Jose. This would not be our last trip to the states as we returned just before the start of the season and played both Philadelphia and North Carolina drawing 1-1 and winning 4-0 respectively. We also had other games against Liverpool and Man City winning 2-1 and drawing 2-2 respectively whilst beating Ballymena 3-1 and losing 2-1 to Gelsenkirchen as we finished off our preseason and prepared for the new season ahead which will be our last at the Ricoh Arena.

League Action - August
    We started the 2023/24 season by visiting our M69 rivals Leicester and unfortunately crashed to a 2-1 defeat with Ruiz getting us an equaliser before we conceded late on. Next up we welcomed Aston Villa and drew 1-1 thanks to a first goal from new signing Cesinha, we then travelled to the south coast to visit Southampton and came away with a 2-0 defeat as we lost our first choice keeper Wildsmith to a 10 minute injury and had McCarthy in nets who hasn't played much. These opening 3 games in the league left us on 1 point in 17th place just outside the relegation places on goal difference.

EFL Cup Action
    We entered in the 2nd round and were drawn away against Peterborough. We went their on the back of a poor start to the league hoping to give us a kick start and we did. I heavily rotated the team and got a reward as we ran out 3-1 winners thanks to goals from Windass, Gallagher and Winks. This got us into the 3rd round in which we will face Watford.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-977f4bbce8.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-977f437e57.png

Transfers
    The summer transfer window was alright for the club and I got in some promising u23 players ands and strengthened in 2 positions along with getting rid of some deadwood. Ricky Higgins, Wayne Sear, Tommy Burns and Stephen Williams-Jarvis go directly into the u23's whilst Cesinha comes in to strengthen midfield/attacking midfield, Winks comes into midfield and Friis comes into strengthen the defence and add additional cover.

The four major outgoings were Fontana, O'Reilly, Dumic and Ben Hur who all just strops towards the end of the season due to lack of playing time as I could not fit them in. Greg Olley finally left the club after being making a killings thanks to poor foresight from myself and not being part of the club the last two years after being on loan at Rangers and St Johnstone but I wish him well haha!

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-977f509933.png

Next update will probably run from now to end of December. Peace out
    Rushton likes this.

50. September - December 2023

So after a more or less dreadful start to the Premier League season we have a lot to improve so that we can shoot up the table and move away from a relegation fight. Again as usual everything that happened up to the end of December 2023 will be covered separately.

Domestic Cup Action - EFL Cup + FA Cup Draw
    After being defeating Peterborough in the 2nd round we visited Watford in the 3rd round and over game them on penalties after drawing 1-1 with McCarthy the hero as he saved 2 penalties in the shoot out. We were then drawn against Swindon in the 4th round and ran out 4-2 winners thanks to doubles from Ruiz and Mastour. In the quarter finals we were drawn against Liverpool, we changed the formation a bit and went with a 5-3-2 which paid dividends as we ran out 3-0 winners thanks to goals from Winks, Gallagher and Molumby. We have been drawn against Brentford in the semifinals do hopefully we'll have another cup final appearance under our belts with it being a Manchester derby in the other semi final.

In the FA Cup we have been drawn against Arsenal in the 3rd round as we hope for yet another cup upset and another run in a cup competition.

League Action
    September
    So after a shocking start in August we had our backs against the wall as we tried to improve on our league standing. We started the month off against Watford losing 2-1 despite taking the lead through Sam Gallagher, next up we faced off against Liverpool and lost 2-0 as we lost more ground in the league. We welcomed Man United to the Ricoh Arena for the last time and so how beyond belief ran out 2-0 winners thanks to goals from Molumby and Ruiz as we hit United twice on the counter. We finished the month off against Arsenal and lost 5-0 after a horror breakdown in the 2nd half as we conceded 3 goals in 6 minutes. This left us in 19th place in the league on 4 points with a hell of a lot of work to do.

October
    Going into October we only had 3 games due to the usual pesky international break. We started the month as we left off beginning with a 3-1 defeat against Chelsea with Ruiz grabbing nothing but an equaliser. Our fortunes did turn around though as we finished the month with a 2-2 draw at Newcastle as we came back at the death and grabbing the draw thanks to two 90th minute goals from Ocampo and Winks. We finished the month then with a 4-2 win against Bournemouth thanks to a double from Winks along with goals from Doria and Ruiz. This left us now in 17th place in the league on 8 points as we slowly start to climb up the table.

November

After a good end to October we came into November and again only had 3 games as yet another international break. We ended the month unbeaten as we won two games and drew one. We started the month off against Derby and prevailed 4-2 thanks to a hatrick from Pereiro and a goal from Winks. Next up we faced Middlesbrough and drew 1-1 thanks to a 4th goal in 2 games from Pereiro and we finished the month with 3-0 win at Swansea thanks to two goals from Jones and another Winks goal. We finished the month in 14th place on 15 points.

December
    Moving into the last month of 2023 we faced a busy festive period as we played 7 games. We picked up 3 wins against Everton (3-1), Stoke (4-1) and Leicester (3-2). We went on a three game losing run thanks to defeats from Spurs (3-0), Sunderland (1-0) and West Ham (2-1) and drawing 0-0 with Man City. We finished the month/year in 12th place on 25 points.

A Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d746b80072.pngA Coventry City/Sky Blues Special-d746c91e13.png

Next update will be January and February including the transfer window and hopefully another cup final.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO