Like Tree211Likes

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC

After 50 pages, 17 seasons, 6 clubs and 1 Champions League I'm sad to say I've lost interest in the save I've used for this story: [INSERT WITTY TITLE HERE] - A Journeyman Save (cheeky plug), hopefully it returns but in the meantime here's me failing miserably in the Championship!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg
    WARNOCK LEAVES ROTHERHAM

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-warnockwarnock-800x504.jpg
    Neil Warnock has today left Rotherham United after securing their Championship status next season

Warnock, 67, was appointed as manager in February 2016 after Neil Redfearn was sacked by the Millers' board

The Millers were in the relegation zone when Warnock arrived at the club, but the 67 year old guided the club to the safety of 21st

A club statement read: "We would like to thank Neil and his support staff for the 16 games they lead the team for"

Rotherham have held talks with Warnock for the past fortnight, but the former Sheffield United boss, along with his assistants Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson, have left the club, with Cardiff City rumoured to be interested in the trio

The Millers won six and drew six of their 16 games under Warnock - including an 11-match unbeaten run - which saw them finish nine points clear of the relegation zone

The club have said they will appoint a new manager in due course

2. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg
    WARNE TURNS DOWN TOP JOB
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-paul-warne-800x592.jpg
    Rotherham United fitness coach Paul Warne has today turned down the manager's job at Rotherham United

Warne, 43, has stated that he doesn't feel able to tackle the additional pressures associated with the job at Rotherham and doesn't feel he is the best candidate and has turned it down for these reasons

Warne spent a total of 9 seasons at Rotherham as a player, making 247 appearances for the Millers

Warne, however, is just the latest in a long string of candidates to turn down the job at the New York Stadium, as he joins a list that includes Stuart Pearce, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Nigel Adkins amongst others

This string of rejections has left many Rotherham fans questioning who on earth is left and is qualified to take on the job

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-warnockwarnock-800x504.jpg  

3. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-367274.jpg
    "Because babyyyyy, you're gonna be the one that saves meeeeeeeeee" I sang as I made my way to the Roundwood Sports Complex ahead of another day's work with the Rotherham youth squad, full of excitement as ever.

Sure the club aren't in the best shape at the moment, with the departure of Mr. Warnock to my boyhood club Cardiff City (as I was half hoping to get a call from him regarding THEIR youth teams) and the seeming refusal of anyone with an inch of pride/dignity/common sense to take the job and sure we may be relegated and my job as a youth coach may be under threat, but that isn't set in stone, so I might as well keep enjoying the job that saved me

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-article-0-0c6e9e93000005dc-402_468x286.jpg
    See, Rotherham took me in when others wouldn't, and for that I'm forever grateful. They're the reason I even have a job and a steady income, sure one of the downsides is that I've had to move away from home but its a small price to pay

A job, coupled with the fact that's in my favourite field, made living hundreds of miles from home at just 19 (as I was when I took this job) more bearable than I thought. The people here and the staff at the club made the transition an easy one

Sure, laying out cones and not even being the manager of the youth team wasn't my boyhood dream, but its a start, and who knows where it might lead? It looks like nobody wants the manager's job at the moment, so I could be in luck

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-grimsby-borough-v-shirebrook-town.jpg
    I parked my car, grabbed my sports bag and started jogging towards the entrance to the training ground to meet the other coaches and start to set up for the start of pre-season, I smiled, nodded and said hello to the people at the front desk before making towards the door

"Mr Hawkins? Mr Stewart would like to see you in the office, now."

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-office-door1-682x1024.jpg

4. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-office-door1-682x1024.jpg
    "You wanted to see me, Mr Stewart?" I asked, watching as the chairman of Rotherham United slowly spun round to face me like a discount Bond villain

"Ah, Matthew, please, take a seat" he said, gesturing at the seat on my side of the desk, I took him up on his offer and quickly sat down opposite the man who held my future in his hands "water?"

"No thank you" I replied, my nails digging into my legs as nerves took hold, my mind racing through the possibilities of what I'd done wrong to merit a sit down with the chairman, were my tactics wrong? Were the players not progressing the way they should be? Have I been teaching them rugby!?!?!

"Right then, Matthew, we've been keeping an eye on you since you joined the club last year and we think you've been making some great progress as a coach in that short time" he started "some very good progress"

"Thank you, Mr Stewart" I replied

"Obviously now that Mr Warnock's left the club there's been a fair bit of turmoil and I just wanted to ask what your thoughts are on the recent events at the club" he asked

"I'm just looking forward to meeting the new manager" I replied, my knuckles now white as I prepared myself for the eventual P45 coming my way

"Right, the board and I have been discussing your progress recently, and your qualifications, which we must say make for a solid CV for someone of your age, and we were wondering whether you would be interested in a promotion?" he asked

"To the under 21s?" I asked

"Matthew, I'd like you to become the new manager of Rotherham United Football Club" I was gobsmacked "now I now you'd like some time to think bou-"

"Yes"

"Right then, we'll sort out the contract details later, but I think you've got some planning to do"

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-contract.png
    Dokara, naterr and ManicBadja like this.

5. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yorkshire-post-logo1.jpg
    YOUTH COACH GETS MILLERS JOB
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-fibresand-pitch-rotherham-united.jpg
    In a stunning turn of events Rotherham United have today announced the appointment of former youth coach Matthew Hawkins as manager of the first team

The South Yorkshire side's struggles to find a permanent replacement for the outgoing Neil Warnock have been documented, with several high profile refusals that have embarrassed the club somewhat

Despite this, some Millers fans are calling this the most embarrassing move yet, with fans of rivals such as Barnsley, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday taking to social media to engage in a spot of schadenfreude following the announcement

Hawkins, 20, has no experience beyond the year he has spent with the Rotherham youth sides and many Millers fans are at a loss to explain how he will keep them in the Championship this season, especially with some sections of the support seemingly set against him from the start

Despite this, some fans remain optimistic and welcome the appointment as a "breath of fresh air", with the Welshman having impressed spectators of the youth side since his appointment last year
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-season-preview.png

ManicBadja likes this.

6. 1st of July 2016

Matthew Hawkins - Football Manager. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? I've been saying and thinking constantly ever since accepting the job and I full much like what I'd imagine an actor would feel like once they get to add "Academy Award Winner" to the end of their name. I think I could get used to it, personally. Saying that, I may not have the title for too long, I've only been given a year long deal so this season is very much make or break for me as a manager, and with the state of the squad its looking like "Break" is the most likely outcome

Us in the youth team had a decent idea of what was going on in the first team and head rumours of problems there but none of those rumours prepared me for what met me when I had a look through the data provided to me by secretaries and staff members, I would never have guessed it THIS bad.

Zero scouts, zero coaches and a squad who's only redeeming characteristic is they aren't literal shit, and even then I'm not 100% sure on a few of them. The squad is a testament to the scatter-gun recruitment policy that's been in place at Rotherham other the past few years and that doesn't bode well for the season ahead.
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-squad-1.png
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-squad-2.png

A perfect example of Rotherham's piss poor recruitment policy is the fact that in the summer Rotherham signed THREE first team goalkeepers; Lee Camp, Richard O'Donnell and Lewis Price on a total of £15,500 per week between them, that's 10% of the wage budget! On GOALKEEPERS!

Not only that, but we have 6 centre backs! SIX! Their wages are more sensible, but they still earn an average of £4,250 per week between them, add to that the fact the majority only just joined the club which means noone wants them, we're stuck with them and these bang average League 1 centre backs take up the wage budget meaning we can't bring in better replacements

The midfield is better but the attack is a desolate fucking wasteland, our best striker, Jonson Clarke-Harris, is out for the season with torn knee ligaments which means I'm relying on Dexter Blackstock unless I can bring someone in with our tiny £300,000 budget. That will soon be bolstered, however, because as soon as I sat down in the manager's char I received and accepted an offer of £1.5m from Wolves for Richard Smallwood

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-smallwood-sold.png

I've been doing some number crunching and have looked at the points total who finished in 22nd every season since 2004/05, when the Championship became the Championship, and using my Maths GCSE to full effect by adding one to their total I discovered that, on average, 46 points is enough to keep a side in this division. With that in mind 50 points is the target for us, and if we hit that, I might have a job next season
    ManicBadja likes this.

7. 5th of August 2016
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-906447d1411399654-what-tactic-should-i-use-1296131-27915488-1600-900.jpg
    The season starts tomorrow. Shit. We're totally under prepared for this, we aren't familiar with the tactics and we're not good at football, which is a key factor in football if I'm perfectly honest, but we're incredibly fit due to the obscene amount of friendlies we played as well as the fact that pre-season was effectively me telling them to run laps around a muddy field/damp sand/the pub.

Tactically, we're a mess. Now then, when it comes to football, I'm a bit of purist, I love watching free-flowing football but despite that I can still appreciate a good defensive performance, and that's what I'm going to be looking to achieve this season. Let's face it, we're not going to be playing total football, we're Rotherham, we don't have the resources of Wigan, never mind Newcastle or Aston Villa! So, with that in mind, I've turned away from the football favoured by the likes of Cruyff, Guardiola and Wenger and instead been studying that tactics of Diego Simeone, Antonio Puliso and Sean Dyche.

The main tactic will be 4-4-fucking-2, with aspects taken from Simeone's incredibly successful system with Atletico mixed with the classic "Big man/Little man" combo of British football

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-442.png

The only reason we're even trying this is the fact that Joe Newell can actually play the "Wide Playmaker" pretty well and, if this, works, he will be an integral part of the system throughout the season

The only downside to the system is that key man Danny Ward doesn't really fit into it at all, he can do a job up front but is more of an out and out winger, not a wide playmaker and this is a bit of problem seeing as A) He's actually good and B) He's on £7,500 per week

Another problem with the system was that we didn't really have the personnel to play it properly, but now we've invested the Richard Smallwood money (what an unfortunate name) I'm genuinely excited to see how it pans out, God it feels good when a plan comes together.

Name:  system-program-problem-detected.png
Views: 1660
Size:  10.5 KB

We've spent a million quid on this lot so they'd better play well for us, otherwise I might be getting the chop earlier than expected. My first ever signing as a manager was Lee Evans (not that one) to fill that deep lying playmaker roll in the midfield following the injury to Lee Frecklington and due to the fact Newell is to be pushed out wide. He's a good lad is Evans, cost £300,000 from Wolves (he was transfer listed immediately after we sold them Smallwood) and has 15 caps for Wales Under 21s and he's from Newport, which means he's hard as nails.

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-lee-evans-live_1003112122146951.jpg

We then brought in Michael Cain (no not that one) to partner him in the middle. We brought Michael in from champions Leicester for £230,000 in what I thought was some particularly shrewd business and he'll play the box-to-box role trying to supply the ball for RECORD SIGNING Kwesi Appiah who joined from Palace for £575,000, he's scored 54 in 123 league appearances with 44 of those coming in non-league for Ebbsfleet, King's Lynn, Kettering, Brackley, Margate and Cambridge. Great.
    Name:  MV5BMjAwNzIwNTQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzE1MTUz._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  14.4 KB

3 players in, a tactic sorted (kinda, not really), I couldn't be Appiah (see what I did there?)

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-michael-cain.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-lee-evans.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-kwesi-appiah.png

8. Good luck with this TLD! If real life is anything to go by it could be a struggle

If you need a back up midfielder I would look at Greg Olley on loan from Hull. He's a decent player
    TheLuckDuck likes this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by issteo View Post
    Good luck with this TLD! If real life is anything to go by it could be a struggle

If you need a back up midfielder I would look at Greg Olley on loan from Hull. He's a decent player
    Cheers mate, if the one game I saw Rotherham play this season is anything to go by it will be incredibly hard!

I'll take a look at him

10. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg
    SEAGULLS AND MILLERS SERVE UP A CLASSIC
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-01-dunk229-3253250_478x359.jpg
    BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION 4
    ROTHERHAM UNITED 3

Brighton and Hove Albion and Rotherham United served up a footballing classic on Tuesday night as promotion chasing Brighton edged past relegation fighting Rotherham by 4 goals to 3 on a wet night in Sussex

Rotherham took an unexpected lead through winger Joe Newell on 11 minutes before being pegged back almost immediately by a Tomer Hemed goal

The Seagulls then went on to add two in two minutes as Glenn Murray and Dale Stephens struck in the 25th and 27th minutes respectively to give Brighton a solid lead on half-time

Rotherham came out the brighter of the two sides in the second half only for veteran striker Glenn Murray to seemingly put the game beyond doubt in the 52nd minute

Rotherham continued to push and bagged two late consolation goals through Dexter Blackstock and Michael Cain in a match that is unlikely to be forgotten in a hurry

The result leaves the Millers in 18th position in the Championship following a home draw against Wolves and a 1-1 draw at Villa Park which sandwiched a 1-0 win over Northampton Town in the League Cup
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-brighton-4-3-rotherham.png

kolas79 and FM Sussex like this.

11. 1st of September 2016

One month into my first season as a football manager and its not going too badly to be honest! A frugal recruitment policy centred around young players (mostly) means that we have a young, athletic team who can play my Diego Simeone inspired 4-4-2 to varying degrees of competency and that has translated into results on the pitch as we sit in 11th place after 5 games

Add to that progression in the League Cup up to the third round following a stunning 2-0 victory over Brighton and things are looking good in South Yorkshire
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-2-0-brighton.png
    The 4-3 loss to Brighton was probably the most important result of the season as it gave me some optimism for the upcoming season with this tactic, we'd toyed around with a 4-3-3 against Wolves and Villa to zero success (we barely had a shot) so we changed it up for the Brighton game, had shots, scored goals and looked like a football team!

That, followed by a 1-0 win at home to Brentford in the league and a 2-1 victory at Oakwell where we had 24 shots, has left us in mid-table, sure we're only five games in, but recently signed loanee Henrik Bjordal's late winner at Oakwell could really kick start the season

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-henrik-bjordal.png
    Oh yeah, and we signed Emile Heskey. Even I'm not really sure why
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-emile-heskey.png

12. Heskey is a goal machine - promotion is assured with him up front!
    TheLuckDuck and issteo like this.

13. Quote Originally Posted by naterr View Post
    Heskey is a goal machine - promotion is assured with him up front!
    Let's hope so

14. 30th of September 2016
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-new-york-stadium-rotherham-united-fc-external-view-1417099738.jpg
    Lee Camp is my Jan Oblak, Joe Newell is my Koke, Dexter Blackstock is my Griezmann, and that means Rotherham United are 12th in the Sky Bet Championship

I'm not sure how we're doing it, its either the tactic or the players (let's face it, its the tactic) but we're somehow holding our own in what many dub one of the toughest divisions in Europe despite having the third lowest wage budget and 10% of that being spent on goalkeepers!

We've either drawn, won or been competitive in our losses, keeping it tight at the back and springing with pace as we move forward, Joe Newell effectively becoming a third midfielder by coming from his wing with Jon Taylor hugging the touchline on the other side and its worked a treat, we're yet to be smashed!

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-image.jpg

We kicked off the month with back-to-back draws with a 0-0 at home to Bristol City and a 1-1 at home to Nottingham Forest. These results annoyed me a bit as they were very winnable and South Yorkshire's answer to Koke missed a penalty in the Forest game where their game lead a seemingly charmed life

The way these results were to be judges was based on how we did away to Blackburn at Ewood Park, lose and it looks like a poor set of games, win and we're unbeaten in five league games. The match appeared to be fizzling out into a draw until Darnell Fisher whipped in a wonderful ball to the back post for Dexter Blackstock to smash home in the 92nd minute. 1-0, no time left. Scenes

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-blackburn-0-1-rotherham.png

Next up was a very daunting trip to Goodison Park as we took on the Toffees in the League Cup Third Round, they took us fairly seriously with big guns like Romelu Lukaku starting for the hosts but we coped well on the big stage despite the absence of some key players who were being rested and an early injury to Danny Ward which will see him out of action for 4 months

We even took the lead through Joe Newell before two goals early in the second half through Yannick Bolasie and Romelu Lukaku gave Everton the lead, we threw everything at Everton and managed to bag an equaliser through Blackstock only for Lukaku to smash home a worldie in the 89th minute to knock us out, unlucky lads

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-everton-3-2-rotherham.png

We then followed this with an incredible draw and the most disappointing performance of the season as we drew 3-3 with my boyhood club Cardiff in a stunning end-to-end game you wouldn't expect to see between Rotherham and a side managed by Neil Warnock only for us to figuratively bend over and take it as we allowed Huddersfield to walk all over us in a 2-0 hammering

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-league-table.png
    ninjaskill, naterr and kolas79 like this.

15. 5th of November 2016
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-the_death_of_guy_fawkes.png
    Remember, remember the fifth of November with gunpowder, treason and.. something else, I can't remember really. Hopefully people will be the same when it comes to Rotherham's form in October 2016, its been anything but spectacular.

We started the month with an incredible 2-2 draw with Newcastle. It takes them about 3 months to spend the same amount of wages we do per year and for a side consisting of the likes of Carlton Morris and Darnell Fisher to hold a side that boasts the likes of Dwight Gayle, Matt Ritchie and Ayoze Perez is quite something especially when you look at the incredibly even match stats, this wasn't a smash and grab, we equalled Newcastle

And this game filled me with false hope that we could continue our remarkable early season away to Norwich. I was wrong. I felt sorry for 1,000 hardy souls who'd made the 300 round mile trip to Carrow Road only to see us ripped apart by the Canaries who seemed particularly hungry for goals. Fortunately we stemmed the tide in the second half and held on for a respectable 2-0 loss

Name:  1384167227_raskraska-angry-birds-zheltaya-ptica-pre.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  8.3 KB

Fortunately we didn't have too long to dwell on our appalling display in East Anglia as we travelled to the Midlands to face Birmingham three days later, a squad still tired from chasing shadows at Carrow Road put in a surprisingly good performance as we left St Andrews with a deserved 1-0 win

The worst was yet to come however as we played league leaders Reading at home in what was a feisty affair as Reading battered both us and our poor goalposts, we were 1-0 down within 25 minutes via Yann Kermogant and somehow that's how it stayed as the ball refused to cross the white line at the New York Stadium

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yann-kermorgant-006.jpg

We followed that up with our second trip to East Anglia of the month as we faced Mick McCarthy's Ipswich. Our brand of anti-football met their brand of anti-football as we played out a game that was surprisingly lively for to very defensive teams which ended in a 2-2 draw, we went behind via Leon Best but soon fought back with Emile Heskey finding the net for us to take the lead. We seemed set until Joe Mattock decided it was a good idea to get himself sent-off and conceding a penalty whilst doing so. Words will be had.

Anyway, let's hope November's a bit better, eh?

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-league-tabl.png
    naterr, kolas79 and ManicBadja like this.

16. NOVEMBER
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-771px-rotherham_united_fc.svg.png
    Only three games this month, thought I'd mix it up a bit

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Rotherham United 2-0 Preston North End
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-2-0-preston.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ajayi, Vaulks, Belaid 76, Evans, Newell (Cain 66), Adeyemi, Appiah (Broadfoot 76), Yates, Heskey (Taylor 66)

Our squad was so threadbare, we couldn't play 4-4-1, fortunately it was only Preston as the extraordinary strike partnership of Jerry Yates and Emile Heskey really showed up

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Derby County 1-1 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-derby-1-1-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ajayi, Wood (Wilson 86), Mattock, Taylor, Evans (Frecklington 64), Cain, Newell, Yates, Appiah

Jerry Yates missed a wonderful chance just a minute before Nugent's goal and that upsets me

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Rotherham United 1-0 Leeds United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-1-0-leeds.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand (Ajayi 83), Wood, Mattock, Taylor, Evans (Frecklington 72), Cain, Newell, Heskey, Appiah (Yates 90)

WHAT A RESULT! Emile Heskey even filled in as an auxiliary centre-back as we clung on at the end

LEAGUE TABLE
    This is going better than expected
    naterr likes this.

17. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yorkshire-post-logo1.jpg
    FESTIVE CHEER AS MILLERS SOAR UP TABLE
    Festive cheer has been plentiful at the New York Stadium recently following a month that has seen Rotherham United soar up the table, with the Millers sitting in 7th going into 2017

A quite incredible month started with a 1-0 win away to Burton Albion, with academy graduate and local lad Jerry Yates bagging a 74th minute winner for the Millers

This was followed by two creditable draws at home to high-flying QPR and away to Fulham as the Millers continued to build up a head of steam

Then came many Millers fans' favourite result of the month, a 1-0 away win at Hillsborough with Michael Cain netting the winner for an impressive Rotherham

This was followed by a somewhat disappointing draw at home to Wigan only for Rotherham to recover with a 3-1 win at home to Burton Albion to end the month

"Its something that gives us confidence" said Millers boss Matthew Hawkins "to look at the league table and see Rotherham United in 7th place is a great source of pride for me and the lads"

kolas79 and ManicBadja like this.

18. 31st of January 2017
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-happy-new-year_759.jpg
    Here at Rotherham, if we want to buy players, we have to sell some first, we're not Manchester City, so that's what I did. We said goodbye to Aymen Belaid and Richard O'Donnell who've gone for £500,000 each to Bristol City and Derby County. An extra million quid in the transfer kitty and £10,000 off the wage bill. Let's go shopping!

But first, some football. January hasn't been kind to us in the league and has prompted me to change the tactic for our next game away at Nottingham Forest and the opening game of 2017 was no exception as we went down 2-0 to Leeds United despite playing pretty well. We then drew 0-0 away to Reading in the FA Cup

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-danny-ward-rotherham-united-v-reading-sky-5okqmawzb4cl.jpg
    The bad start continued as league leaders Norwich City came to the New York Stadium, pulled ou trousers down and made off with all three points in a 2-1 win before we recovered and beat Reading 3-1 in the FA Cup Third Round Replay.

We then went to St James' Park and ran the Magpies extremely close as they beat us 4-2, with Jerry Yates bagging two for us before Ayoze Perez securing the win for Newcastle in the 90th minute

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-newcastle-v-liverpool.jpg
    A 2-0 home win in the FA Cup Fourth Round over Brighton (sound familiar?) softened the blow as we drew senior affiliate Liverpool in the next round, with that in mind, I spunked some money on some players

First in was Michael Doughty from Queens Park Rangers, he was on the transfer list at Loftus Road and I decided to take him off their hands for the very good price of £300,000. With 114 league appearances at the age of just 24 Michael could really improve the side and, who knows he could make the Wales squad

Next is a player who COULD have played for Wales in Ben Turner, Ben was one of my favourite players when he was playing for Cardiff a few years ago and with Belaid leaving, we needed a left footed centre half. We've found one in Big Ben with the 29 year old coming in for a measly £200,000 and already being rated by our staff as our best centre-half

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-cardiff-citys-ben-turner-r-celebrates-scoring-filip-kiss-against-gfybnf.jpg
    Last but not least is by far the riskiest signing, but it also has the potential to be the most rewarding signing. Signing for an initial fee of £1.2m (that's already a club record) that could rise as high as £3.5m is the defensive midfielder George Evans from Reading. The Manchester-born midfielder is the reason we're going to be changing to a more expansive 4-3-3 as we attempt to alter our style from uber defensive to counter-attacking to try and push for the playoffs in the next few years, he only made 9 appearances for Reading in 2 years there and was all too happy to move north to Rotherham
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-michael-doughty.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-ben-turner.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-george-evans.png
    kolas79 likes this.

19. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg
    MILLERS HUMILIATE FOREST
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-britain-football-soccer-nottingham-forest-v-rotherham-united-sky-bet-hm6p3m.jpg
    NOTTINGHAM FOREST 2
    ROTHERHAM UNITED 7

Rotherham United piled on the misery for Forest fans last night, as well as applying even more prssure on the shoulders of Forest boss Ryan Giggs as the side now lay 20th in the Sky Bet Championship

Rotherham started quickly with two goals in the first ten minutes via a Darnell Fisher header and a goal from winger Jon Taylor

Eric Lichaj then gave Rotherham a helping hand by turning the ball into his own net in the 12th minute before Chris Cohen responded with a 30 yard free kick in the 13th minute

Things went from bad to worse for Forest soon after however with debutant Michael Doughty restoring United's 3 goal lead in the 33rd minute

Zach Clough bagged Forest's second in the 36th minute only for Jon Taylor to more or less seal the points with a goal on the brink of half-time which sent Rotherham into the dressing room 5-2 up

Rotherham continued to tear into Forest after the interval with Jon Taylor completing his hat-trick in the 54th minute before Kwesi Appiah completed he rout in the 71st minute

The result leaves Forest mervously looking over their shoulders in 20th and Rotherham very much looking up in 12th as their tactical switch paid dividends
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-forest-2-7-rotherham.png

ManicBadja likes this.

20. 1st of March 2017
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-u-bfeylf.jpg
    February started well and then it, well, let's see, shall we?

It started pretty well with a 2-1 win away to Bristol City an early lead via a rare Kwesi Appiah goal before Danny Ward (who I tried my hardest to sell in January) wrapped it up in the 59th minute. Bristol rarely threatened and their consolation came in the 90th minute, a solid performance. We followed that up with a comfortable 2-0 win at home to Barnsley via 2 Lee Evans stunners as our new tactic continued to impress. George Evans is a perfect anchor and allows the likes of Lee Evans and Michael Doughty to work their (limited) magic. Its beautiful to watch.

We then hosted Blackburn, dominated, and lost to a lucky goal from Lucas Joao. Disappointing. We soon recovered, however, as we hosted another Yorkshire side in Huddersfield (there's loads of them in this division) and grabbed another comfortable 2-0 win via goals from Kwesi Appiah and Lee Evans

And then, we went to Liverpool. George Evans was cup-tied so we went with the 4-4-2 and an incredibly strong Liverpool side battered us by 3 goals to 1. They were playing genuine internationals, it wasn't fair! They played Emre Can, Roberto Firmino, Daniel Sturridge and Serge Gnabry! We were playing Darnell Fisher, Joel Ekstrand and Lee Camp! They took the lead through Leonardo Bittencourt but we did manage an equaliser via a Loris Karius own goal (because, of course). They then scored two worldies and won the tie.

We then went to my hometown to face Cardiff and took the lead, only for them to bag a deflected equaliser before half-time. They scored 2 in 7 minutes at the end of the second half to win the game before Dexter Blackstock bagged us a consolation. 3-2. Then a trip to Brentford with the side down in the dumps Danny Ward and Kwesi Appiah combined to give us the lead following Lasse Vibe's opener, only for the Dane to score three more to win the game for Brentford 4-2. Awful.

That torrid end to the month leaves us in 13th and in the bottom half of the table, I don't like it down here, its dark and its cold and I don't like it

21. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yorkshire-post-logo1.jpg
    MILLERS' POOR FORM CONTINUES
    Rotherham United's poor form since the turn of the year has continued, with the Millers now on a run of only 1 win in their last 6 league games

A 2-2 draw with Aston Villa at the start of March has been seen as symptomatic of Rotherham's problems since the new year, with the Millers squandering a 2 goal lead in the second half, with Villa left-back Jordon Amavi bagging a 94th minute equaliser

This was followed by a 1-0 home defeat to Brighton via a Sam Baldock penalty as Millers' frustrations continued to grow as hopes of a playoff place continue to dwindle following Rotherham's struggles. This continued with a 1-1 draw at Wolves as the Millers squandered a lead in the last ten minutes

There are however hopes back at the New York Stadium following an encouraging 2-1 win away at QPR with winger Danny Ward bagging a brace to end the month

ManicBadja likes this.

22. 1st of May 2017
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-promo263392286.jpg
    April was a whole lot kinder to us than February and March as we picked up 16 points from a possible 21, let's see where we got them shall we?

We kicked off the month on a high following the QPR result and that high continued as comfortably dispatched of Fulham 2-0 at home through an own goal by Ragnar Sigurdsson and a goal from Jon Taylor. That was followed up by an exciting first half and boring second half in a Yorkshire derby against Sheffield Wednesday as we drew 1-1 with the playoff-chasing Owls

Carlton Morris and Danny Ward combined at the DW Stadium to see off Wigan 2-0 as we really started to gather some steam heading into the run in, this was perpetuated further by a 1-0 win over Birmingham courtesy of a Lee Evans goal

We were soon brought back down to earth however as two goals in the last ten minutes gave Reading all three points at the Madejski Stadium in a match we really should have won that really dented our playoff bid. Fortunately the squad showed some great character (Bit of a Rogers moment there) as we bounced back with a 2-1 win over Ipswich at the New York Stadium with Joel Ekstrand and the wonderful Jon Taylor striking within minutes to give us a 2-0 lead, there goal was a Brett Pitman consolation

Then, the big one, away to Preston North End. Win and our playoff hopes stay alive and Preston go down, lose Preston live to fight another day and its one hell of a struggle for us to reach the playoffs.

We started quickly as we bombarded Preston and eventually gained the lead in only the 2nd minute via loanee Carlton Morris, however we took our foot off the gas and Aiden McGeady took advantage of some poor defending and even worse goalkeeping to equalise just after half time. Fortunately we dug deep and regained our lead through Kwesi Appiah's 7th league goal of the season. We held on for an important win. Happy days.

Bennieehh and ManicBadja like this.

23. THE RUN IN
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-0vofbq0n_400x400.jpg
    Its all to play for at the top of the Championship as three teams battle it out for the one remaining playoff spot

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-top-10.png

KEY FIXTURES
    Huddersfield Town vs Cardiff City
    Rotherham United vs Derby County

KICK-OFF
    27th Minute-Kasey Palmer scores for Huddersfield! 1-0!
    38th Minute-Its whipped into the box for KWESI APPIAH!!!!! 1-0 to Rotherham!

HALF-TIME
    Huddersfield Town 1-0 Cardiff City
    Rotherham United 1-0 Derby County
    Rotherham United are in the playoffs as it stands!

SECOND-HALF
    69th Minute-Michael Hefele has been sent off for Huddersfield Town!
    71st Minute-Harry Bunn scores a second for Huddersfield! They've done their bit!
    89th Minute-Nahki Wells scores for Huddersfield! 3-0 to the Terriers, but is it enough?

FULL-TIME
    Huddersfield Town 3-0 Cardiff City
    Rotherham United 1-0 Derby County
    Rotherham United are in the playoffs!
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-final-table.png
    kolas79, Bennieehh and ManicBadja like this.

24. SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-20170217144705_133.jpg
    I don't know how, but we made the playoffs, sneaking into 6th place a spectacular end to the season. We've got Reading, don't expect promotion

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL FIRST LEG
    Rotherham United 1-2 Reading
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-1-2-reading.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans, Doughty (Cain 81), Taylor, Ward, Appiah (Newell 81)

Bollocks. We had to win this to have any chance and we've fallen at the first hurdle. In truth we were marginally the better side but couldn't finish our chances whilst Reading's superior quality paid dividends

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL SECOND LEG
    Reading 2-0 Rotherham United
    Reading win 4-1 on aggregate
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-reading-2-0-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans, Doughty (Ward 61), Taylor, Newell, Morris (Clarke-Harris 61)

That's it folks. It was a brave performance but Reading were just too good in the end, we had a brief moment of hope as Joel Ekstrand bundled in an equaliser but it was ruled out for offside. Still quite proud of the season though
    kolas79, Bennieehh and ManicBadja like this.

25. 1st of July 2017
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-season-review.png
    What a season that was! To say that wasn't on the cards would be something of an understatement as we shocked all the pundits and steamed into the playoffs, only to lose out to third placed Reading who lost to Wolves in the final

We were excellent, with all the players doing their bit from goalscorer Carlton Morris to goalmaker Jon Taylor with a variety of tactics and players deployed as we achieved Rotherham's highest league finish since 1955

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-stats.png
    This was even more spectacular when you realise we had one of the lowest salaries per annum in the division, finishing above teams who spend millions more on players than we do who spent more in one summer than we have in our entire existence

Unfortunately, that leaves us with a problem. We're not strong enough financially to keep this up, this is shown by the fact that we've been given a budget of £0 for the upcoming summer, cheers board. Still, we keep fighting, Stephen Kelly, Kirk Broadfoot and Kelvin Wilson are all set for release which will give us £20,000 to play with in the wage budget, add a couple of sales and we should be able to make some moves in the transfer market

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-budgets.pngWe're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-salary-per-annum.png
    We need a goalscorer, that was where we struggled last season, the amount chances Kwesi Appiah et al missed last season was scandalous, with that in mind I've constructed a mini shortlist of Tom Bradshaw. Barnsley went down last season and he's handed in a transfer request, my kind of transfer

We also need some depth, on the wings mainly, the midfield is fine, we need backup on the wings and at full-back but other than that, we're set.

We've also got some good youngsters in Louis Ekangamene, Will McDonald and Lee McDonnell, the future at Rotherham is bright

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-louis-ekangamene.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-steve-mcdonnell.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-will-mcdonald.png

Roll on 2018!

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-promotion-odds.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-hodge-clemco-sponsor-rotherham-united-shirt-2016-17.jpg  
    kolas79 and Bennieehh like this.

26. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg

TRIO LEAVE NEW YORK STADIUM

Rotherham United have today announced the departure of three players for a total of £3.4m as the Millers continue their "sell to buy" policy

The Millers, who have been quite in the window so far, are said to be prepared to re-invest the money in the playing staff amid fears amongst fans that this will leave the Millers threadbare

First to go was Will Vaulks, who joined Inverness for £250,000

Vaulks, 23, never really impressed at the New York Stadium, making just 10 league appearances after joining from Falkirk for an undisclosed fee

The central midfielder is said to be welcoming a return to Scotland where he made 108 league appearances over three seasons

Second to leave the Millers was Anthony Forde, who's joined Plymouth Argyle in a deal worth £190,000

Forde, like Vaulks, never really made an impression at Rotherham making just 9 league appearances for the Yorkshire side after joining from Walsall for an undisclosed fee

The 23 year old Irishman is returning to League 1, where he made appearances for Wolves, Scunthorpe and Walsall

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-anthony-forde-scores.jpg

Last to leave was Tom Thorpe, who's joined Huddersfield Town for a fee of £3m

Thorpe, who spent last season on loan at Bolton, was said to be a part of Hawkins' plans for the upcoming season but the Welshman saw Huddersfield's offer as too good to turn down

Thorpe made only 7 league appearances for the Millers but the 24 year old has now overtaken Richard Smallwood as Rotherham United's record sale

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_88879801_pa-23757734.jpg

Bennieehh likes this.

27. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yorkshire-post-logo1.jpg
    MILLERS OPERATING ON THE CHEAP
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-fibresand-pitch-rotherham-united.jpg
    Despite bringing in almost £3.5m in player sales this summer Rotherham United are continuing to operate on the cheap as manager Matthew Hawkins attempts to build a side capable of challenging for promotion to the Premier League

Despite the Welshman's lofty ambitions, his signings have been less than ambitious with the four players who've joined so far totalling a transfer spend of £0

First to join the Millers was George Legg, who's joined on a free transfer to offer backup to goalkeeper Lee Camp following Lewis Price's lone move to Oxford

Legg, 21, came through the Reading academy but never appeared for the Royals, instead only playing for Hungerford Town in the National League South, playing 28 games and keeping 8 clean sheets
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-george-legg.png

Next up is a player with a far more recognisable name in Harry Wilson

The 20 year old Wales international has joined the Millers on loan from Liverpool, with a view to making the deal a permanent one for £300,000 and many at the club are hoping to make that happen with Wales' youngest ever player eager to impress

The winger spent last year on loan at Accrington Stanley in League 2 where he made 19 appearances and scored 6 goals as well as providing 4 assists
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-harry-wilson.png

The Millers followed this up with the signing of Stephen Hendrie on a free transfer following the expiration of his contract with West Ham United

Hendrie, 22, never made an appearance for West Ham despite costing the Hammers £1m from Hamilton Academical where he made 99 league appearances

Hendrie's only appearances south of the border have come with Southend United and Blackburn Rovers, where he has spent time on loan over the past few seasons
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-stephen-hendrie.png

Las but not least is another free signing in Josh Harrop, who's joined following the expiration of his contract with Manchester United

Harrop, 21, never made an appearance at Old Trafford despite coming through the academy with the Red Devils

The youngster, who can play anywhere in midfield and is known for his flair, will be hoping to leave a more lasting impression at the New York Stadium
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-josh-harrop.png

28. 1st of September
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-20170502140734_1.jpg
    To say this summer was tough would be an understatement. Despite our incredible season last time out, we still didn't have the profile to attract key targets, this was evidenced in the fact that many of them went to other clubs who finished lower than us last season, Tammy Abraham and Cameron Brannagan chose Ipswich over us, Kieran Dowell chose Blackburn, Sheyi Ojo chose Leeds, Tom Lawrence chose Hull and so on.

So the players we did bring in, I have new found respect for as they chose tiny Rotherham over some of the arguably bigger clubs who were also in for them, so let's meet these legends.

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-2e58d03800000578-0-image-37_1447413166248.jpg

First up is a Wales star in Mr Tom Bradshaw. Our main target who's come in for an initial £1.2m then some add-ons and installments. I'm really excited about this because not only is Bradshaw a goalscorer, he's one at international level with the 25 year old bagging the second in a 2-0 Wales win over Serbia, he scored 34 league goals in 2 years for Walsall and 12 for relegated Barnsley last season, this lad can score. Speaking of goalscorers, I'd like you to meet the other striker we signed, Mr Adam Le Fondre, who's joined us on a free transfer following the expiration of his contract at Cardiff City. Adam, of course played for Rotherham for three seasons, scoring 52 league goals in 93 league appearances before his big move to Reading where he made his name. I expect goals.

Last guy to board the Rotherham party bus was Joao Teixeira, who's joined us on loan from Benfica. We needed an attacking midfielder and Lawrence, Dowell and Woodburn all turned us down

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-tom-bradshaw.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-adam-le-fondre.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-joao-teixeira.png

Next, the results. The season started disastrously away to Brentford as we succumbed to a 3-0 defeat, Bradshaw missed an open goal and Le Fondre didn't do much better as we played ok but somehow got absolutely battered at Griffin Park. Our misery was compounded soon after as we lost 1-0 at home to Shrewsbury Town at home in the League Cup, is this second season syndrome?

A new tactic was in order as we played a 4-1-2-1-2 at home to Bolton and it worked a treat with Appiah playing in behind Bradshaw and Le Fondre, a 4-0 win was the reward for my tactical genius with Ekstrand and George Evans scoring in the first half and an own goal and Harry Wilson wonder goal supplementing our lead in the second half

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-4-0-bolton.png

We then travelled to The Den to face everyone's favourite club, Millwall. A Tom Bradshaw brace was enough for us to leave with all three points before repeating the 2-1 win at home to Cardiff as Le Fondre bagged a brace and should have had more against his former club

Nottingham Forest were the next visitors to the New York Stadium and we took them apart with such ease I felt sorry for them as we battered them 4-0 recording 26 shots and 16 on target in what pundits then referred to as a "statement". Bradshaw, Le Fondre, Appiah and Cain bagged the goals

naterr likes this.

29. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-the_daily_mail_logo_wordmark.png
    MILLERS MARCH ON
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_88743740_rexfeatures_5612997ac.jpg
    Rotherham United have continued their incredible start to the season as they sit at the top of the Premier League at the end of September

The Millers, who finished 6th last season, have confounded pundits by continuing their good form this month, which has included a 6-3 win over Huddersfield Town
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-huddersfield-3-6-rotherham.png

This has been backed up by a 2-1 victory over Hull and a 3-2 win at home to Burton Albion as well as draws with Brighton and Birmingham

Despite this, cracks have begun to show at the New York Stadium following 1-0 losses away to Bristol City and Queens Park Rangers

TheBattman, naterr and Bennieehh like this.

30. Top of the Premier League eh?! Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet

31. Top work (wish our season was half as good as yours) and as a Millers fan I am definitely following this. Good decision signing Le Fondre he's a Rotherham legend.
    TheLuckDuck likes this.

32. Quote Originally Posted by WWred View Post
    Top of the Premier League eh?! Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet
    Wishful thinking

33. Interesting
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-jake-andrews.png
    naterr, kolas79 and ManicBadja like this.

34. Quote Originally Posted by RUFC4eva View Post
    Top work (wish our season was half as good as yours) and as a Millers fan I am definitely following this. Good decision signing Le Fondre he's a Rotherham legend.
    Cheers mate

35. OCTOBER
    Some huge games this month

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Rotherham United 2-1 Middlesbrough
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-2-1-boro.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ball, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans (Cain 58), Doughty, Teixeira (Wilson 58), Appiah, Le Fondre

A solid win at home to Boro as we just about get the job done with a boring second half from both sides contributing to that

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Rotherham United 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-1-2-blackburn.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans, Doughty, Teixeira (Wilson 67), Le Fondre, Bradshaw (Appiah 67)

Well THAT was fucking dreadful

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Reading 0-0 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-reading-0-0-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock (Hendrie 74), G.Evans, L.Evans (Doughty 56), Newell, Teixeira (Appiah 56), Le Fondre, Bradshaw

*ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Rotherham United 2-2 Everton
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-2-2-everton.png
    )Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans (Newell 75), Doughty, Teixeira (Wilson 59), Le Fondre, Bradshaw (Appiah 59)

We were seriously hanging on here, how we got out with a draw I'll never know

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Leeds United 0-0 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-leeds-0-0-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans (Doughty 80), Newell, Taylor, Wilson (Ward 68), Le Fondre

We've been poor recently so we changed it up to a 4-3-3 and improved greatly away at Elland Road

LEAGUE TABLE
    The fall begins
    TheBattman and Bennieehh like this.

36. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yorkshire-post-logo1.jpg
    HAWKINS GRABS MANAGER OF THE MONTH AWARD
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-8797_big.jpg

Rotherham United manager has bagged the Manager of the Month award for November after guiding the Millers to three successive wins

The 21 year old, who won the award in earlier his season in August, has said he is "honoured" to have received such an award

The Welshman won the award following back-to-back-wins over Charlton Athletic, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town, beating them 2-0, 2-0 and 1-0 respectively

This run of form has left Rotherham second in the Sky Bet Championship with Millers fans dreaming of the Premier League

naterr and kolas79 like this.

37. 1st of January 2018
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-240_f_117556026_krexxptznr6ktggcrxz2so5hnuj9nz3y.jpg
    The curse of the Manager of the Month award is yet to strike as we enjoyed a solid end to 2017, racking up 3 wins, 3 draws and a solitary draw as we march onto 2018 full of confidence

We started the month with back-to-back away draws as we visited the cities of Birmingham and London to face Aston Villa and Fulham. Our defence stood strong against two sides who's combined Salary per annum is £52m, ours, by comparison, is £6m, between them these who clubs spend more in two months than we do in a year and yet we sit in 4th whilst Villa and Fulham are in 17th and 20th respectively, I would say its moneyball but I don't know how that works, good film though

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-aaeaaqaaaaaaaay7aaaajdyynmi5mtmzltkxywetngviyi1iy2fjlti4otdhmmi3ndnmzq.jpg

It was a solid foundation which we built on upon our return to the great villa- town, really? Of Rotherham. We dispatched of underperforming with consummate professionalism, beating them 2-0 via Jon Taylor and Tom Bradshaw, before hosting Brentford and serving revenge via a 3-0 win with Bradshaw bagging another with Lee Evans scoring a brace

AND THEN, Millwall came to town, scored in the first three minutes, st on the lead and defended well. They essentially did what we did last season, 4-4-fucking-2 was deployed and, as we at Rotherham know, that's a solid defensive formation and we just couldn't work our way through, such a shame

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-ctyknzgwiaqanbd.jpg

We then hit the road for games at Bolton and Cardiff, we played Wanderers off the park at the Macron Stadium, beating them 2-0 but it should have been more as a Tyler Blackett own goal and another Tom Bradshaw goal, we probably should have scored a couple more but three points is three points

I then went home to Cardiff and took the team with me for a kickabout at the Cardiff City Stadium which resulted in an uninspiring 0-0 draw, so, so boring.

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-league-tabl.png
    ManicBadja likes this.

38. 1st of February 2018

The transfer window is over and thank Christ for that. We somehow managed to keep a hold of our wonderkids (I use this term loosely) Louis Ekangamene and Joe Crossley despite bids from the likes of Tottenham and West Ham and also managed to offload the players we didn't want as we sold Danny Ward to Brighton for £1.5m and Lewis Price to Oxford for £28,500

The ins were a whole lot more exciting as we brought in Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool, signed Australian international Jake Andrews from Melbourne City for £650,000 (he needs a work permit, we've sent him to Denmark to get one) and Fraser Fyvie from Hibs for £400,000. Good business.
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-ben-woodburn.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-jake-andrews.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-fraser-fyvie.png

Onto the games. We kicked January off away to Hull where we hit a stumbling block, losing 1-0 to the Tigers at the KCOM Stadium before this poor form continued as we drew 0-0 at home to Exeter City in the FA Cup Third Round, what was wrong with us?

We soon arrested this slide, however, away to Nottingham Forest with a 2-0 win with goals coming from debutant Ben Woodburn and his Welsh counterpart Harry Wilson before we stuffed Exeter 3-1 at St James' Park with Bradshaw, Doughty and Taylor chipping in for a comfortable win

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-c7zc9c0xuaaeoin.jpg

We followed this up with a comfortable 3-0 win over Huddersfield Town with all three goals coming between the 26th and 30th minutes with Joe Newell bagging a brace and Ben Woodburn adding his second in as many games before we secured another draw in the FA Cup, this one away to Middlesbrough as Louis Ekangamene's first ever goal secured as a replay at the New York Stadium

We ended the month with a 1-0 away to Brighton and Hove Albion with Lee Evans scoring his third goal of the season to keep the promotion campaign on track

ManicBadja likes this.

39. 1st of March 2018
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_88743740_rexfeatures_5612997ac.jpg

February picked up where January left off as we defeated Birmingham City 1-0 at home via another Ben Woodburn goal (he's on fire at the moment) as we continued steaming on, well, in the league at least as we were sent crashing out of the FA Cup at home to Middlesbrough with a 1-0 loss. Youngsters McDonald, Enkangamene and Crossley all started for us which tells you how seriously I was taking this, we followed the loss to Middlesbrough with a draw at the Riverside as our league form remained steady

We returned to Rotherham for our next game as we played host to The Wurzels an beat them with ease as we smashed them 4-1 with four different scorers in Woodburn, Ekstrand, Turner and Lee Evans as we put Bristol firmly in their place

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-4-1-bristol.png

That was soon followed by another 3 goal victory as we visited Burton-upon-Trent to thump Burton Albion 3-0 in a performance as dominant as you'll ever see with Ben Woodburn, Harry Wilson and youngster Louis Ekangamene scoring our trio of goals but it really should have been more before we returned home for the last game of the month against QPR where we ran out 2-0 winners via Joe Newell and Louis Ekangamene, he's starting to get a bit of the golden touch

Our January business has really seemed to pay dividends so far, especially Ben Woodburn as he's bagged 7 goals since arriving on loan, the young Welshman has scored 41% of the goals we've scored with him on the pitch, talk about impact. He's also helped us close the gap on top sides Huddersfield and Leeds, making it very much game on in the Sky Bet Championship

kolas79 and ManicBadja like this.

40. MARCH
    With not long before the end of the season, every game counts

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Rotherham United 2-1 Reading
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-2-1-reading.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans, Newell (Doughty 74), Taylor, Wilson (Bradshaw 24), Woodburn

A very solid performance as we dominated at home to Reading where we should have scored more, Harry Wilson is out for the season

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-blackburn-0-0-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock, G.Evans, L.Evans (Doughty 16), Newell, Taylor, Woodburn, Appiah (Fyvie 59)

*ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Everton 1-0 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-everton-1-0-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Mattock (Hendrie 77), G.Evans, Fyvie, Newell (Doughty 77), Appiah, Woodburn, Bradshaw (Le Fondre 65)

With a lack of wingers we had to compromise with a 4-3-1-2 and it sort of worked as we kept the score down, this isn't the game you want to be pissing about with formations in and with both of us gunning for promotion this could have serious implications moving forward

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
    Charlton Athletic 1-3 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-charlton-1-3-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher, Ekstrand, Turner, Hendrie, G.Evans (Cain 62), Fyvie, Newell, Taylor, Woodburn, Appiah (Bradshaw 62)

Charlton's only shot on target had us worried for a while only for Joe Newell to pop up and put us back on track, Woodburn added the third to ease the pressure at the end

LEAGUE TABLE
    Promotion's on the cards
    kolas79 likes this.

41. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-yorkshire-post-logo1.jpg
    YORKSHIRE TUG OF WAR FOR FINAL PREM SPOT
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-hrt.png

Three teams. Two promotion spots. £100 million. Who's going to get it?

With one game to go of the season three teams are locked in a battle at the top of the Championship as Huddersfield Town, Rotherham United and Leeds United seek to end their seasons is the best way possible: Promotion to the Premier League.

Rotherham have wowed us all this season as they push for promotion and this month was no different, racking up 3 wins, 1 draw and a loss

The Millers succumbed to defeat at Portman Road and drew at home to Leeds but beat South Yorkshire rivals Wednesday at Hillsborough despite having ten men

This was supplemented by a 3-2 over Aston Villa before finishing the month off in style with a 4-1 win at home to Fulham

Bennieehh likes this.

42. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-0vofbq0n_400x400.jpg
    THE FINAL DAY
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Day.PNG
Views:	671
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1118018

With only 90 minutes left of the regular Championship season left there are 4 teams in contention for the 2 automatic promotion spots, let's see how this unfolds...

FIXTURES
    Brentford v Everton
    Derby County v Rotherham United
    Fulham v Leeds United
    Huddersfield Town v Middlesbrough

KICK-OFF
    2nd Minute-Kemar Roofe is far out from goal, he takes a strike... GOAL! Leeds lead
    8th Minute-Long ball over the top from Leeds and Lookman's in here... ITS ADEMOLA LOOKMAN AND LEEDS ARE 2-0 UP!
    19th Minute-Wells shoots, blocked and it falls for DEMPSEY! 1-0 HUDDERSFIELD!
    22nd Minute-Jese scores for Everton and they lead at Brentford!
    28th Minute-Van La Parra's in here.. 2-0 Huddersfield!
    38th Minute-Romanie Sawyers has scored for Brentford! 1-1!

41st Minute-Ince's ball in it falls for PIAZON! Its disaster for Rotherham as Derby lead!

HALF-TIME
    Brentford 1-1 Everton
    Derby County 1-0 Rotherham United
    Fulham 0-2 Leeds United
    Huddersfield Town 2-0 Middlesbrough
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AS IT STANDS.PNG
Views:	673
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1118024

SECOND-HALF
    53rd Minute-Camara skips past Fisher, whips it in to Vydra at the near post.. GOAL!
    60th Minute-George Williams has pulled one back for Fulham!
    62nd Minute-Its two in as many minutes at Craven Cottage as Kebano equalises for Fulham!
    67th Minute-Adam Clayton steps up for Boro and slams it home! 2-1!
    68th Minute-Jese has scored again for Everton and they retake the lead!

74th Minute-Olsson's ball in, Vydra at the near post.. its all too easy for Derby

80th Minute-Ryan Woods equalises for Brentford!
    81st Minute-Woodburn, to Ekstrand.. GOAL! 3-1! Ross Barkley has given Everton the lead again! 3-2! And another goal has gone in at the John Smith's Stadium, its 3-1 Huddersfield!
    92nd Minute-Jese scores again for Everton! 4-2!

FULL-TIME
    Brentford 2-4 Everton
    Derby County 3-1 Rotherham United
    Fulham 2-2 Leeds United
    Huddersfield Town 3-1 Middlesbrough
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-final-table.png

Fucking bottlejobs

43. SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS
    The bottlejobs get another chance

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL FIRST LEG
    Bristol City 1-2 Rotherham United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-bristol-1-2-rotherham.png
    Camp, Fisher (Ball 90), Ekstrand, Turner, Hendrie, G.Evans, L.Evans, Newell (Doughty 77), Taylor, Woodburn, Bradshaw (Le Fondre 77)

I was extremely worried when Bristol scored early on and dominated the first ten minutes but we soon re-found our groove, equalising via Jon Taylor and completing the turnaround with Lee Evans' 3rd of the season, unfortunately Darnell Fisher is out for the rest of the campaign, however long it may last

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL SECOND LEG
    Rotherham United 3-0 Bristol City
    Rotherham win 5-1 on aggregate
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-rotherham-3-0-bristol.png
    Camp, Ball, Ekstrand, Turner, Hendrie, G.Evans, L.Evans, Newell (Doughty 80), Taylor (Ekangamene 80), Woodburn, Bradshaw (Wilson 80)

As easy as you like! We flew out the blocks with 2 goals in the first twenty minutes which put the tie to bed, we added the cherry via yet another Lee Evans goal, will we be seeing that at Wembley?
    Bennieehh likes this.

44. SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF FINAL
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-wembley.jpg
    EVERTON v ROTHERHAM UNITED

We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-1002px-everton_fc_logo.svg.png We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-771px-rotherham_united_fc.svg.png
    Its the haves versus the have not's at Wembley today as Everton and Rotherham go for the Premier League

LINEUPS
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-lineups.png
    Everton are playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 whilst Rotherham opt for a more conservative 4-1-4-1

KICK-OFF
    2nd Minute-Williams, driving forward for Everton, lays it for Tarashaj, who's found JESE! A massive chance goes begging for Everton
    10th Minute-Jake Bidwell with the free kick... OH MY WORD WHAT A GOAL! From thirty yards Jake Bidwell has given Everton the lead! Its his first goal for the Toffees and boy has he done it in style!
    33rd Minute-Williams, out wide for Coleman who's burst into the area, Turner goes in... PENALTY!
    34th Minute-Jese steps up for Everton.. STRAIGHT AT LEE CAMP!

35th Minute-Bradshaw driving forward for Rotherham, he's tackled but its fallen for NEWELL!!! What a save from Rajkovic!
    42nd Minute-Rotherham win it back and here's Woodburn, he carries it forward and finds Bradshaw who unleashes a strike... easy save for Rajkovic

HALF-TIME
    Everton 1-0 Rotherham United
    Rotherham need a spark if they're to come back into the game

SECOND-HALF
    55th Minute-Stanislas, finds Danny Williams who hits it from range, deflection and in! A huge deflection off Joel Ekstrand and Everton are surely in the Premier League!

56th Minute-Harry Wilson replaces Tom Bradshaw for Rotherham
    61st Minute-Antony Evans replaces Danny Williams for Everton
    63rd Minute-Kwesi Appiah replaces Lee Evans for Rotherham

66th Minute-Ball up to Tarashaj, to Jese, he beats Evans and hits it.. SAVED!
    68th Minute-Woodburn's tackled and Tarashaj's in here.. another save!
    78th Minute-Jack Grealish replaces Junior Stanislas for Everton

90th Minute-Wilson comes forward now, he plays it inside for George Evans who shoots.. GOAL! Surely too late now though

FULL-TIME
    Everton 2-1 Rotherham United
    More playoff heartbreak for Rotherham
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-everton-2-1-rotherham.png
    RUFC4eva, naterr, kolas79 and 2 others like this.

45. 1st of July 2018

I'm still not over the loss to Everton. It was heartbreaking. I've lost at Wembley before as a fan, but to lose as a manager was even worse, with the spotlight on my team as they were completely outclassed by an Everton side desperate to return to the Premier League. Still the fight goes on and we have some fresh faces to help us out, let's meet them....

JEAN-JACQUES BAH - ASEC - £275,000
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-jean-jahques-bah.png
    A goalkeeper with a hell of a lot of potential, unfortunately the one thing he hasn't got is a work permit, which means we'll have to look for a loan for the lad

SHAUN HUTCHINSON - BURTON ALBION - FREE TRANSFER
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-shaun-hutchinson.png
    Now that we're a club challenging for the playoffs, we need better standard of backup, and Hutchinson is that. Despite being relegated last season with Burton he's good at this level and could help push us on

MARCUS McGUANE - ARSENAL - FREE TRANSFER
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-marcus-mcguane.png
    Some decent potential and some good backup in the middle, surprisingly he's a ball winner, from Arsenal. Strange.

CONOR GRANT - EVERTON - FREE TRANSFER
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-conor-grant.png
    How ironic is it that the man who could propel us into the Premier League is a graduate of the Everton youth academy? He's a step up on Newell and could be the missing piece of the jigsaw

DONERVON DANIELS - WIGAN ATHLETIC - FREE TRANSFER
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-donervon-daniels.png
    He's as good as Ekstrand and is younger than the Swede and should slot in on the right hand side of the central defensive partnership with Ben Turner

MARC CURRIE - HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN - £180,000
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-marc-currie.png
    Our early July business is bookended by good young goalkeepers. Unlike Bah, however, Currie has a work permit and, as such, will be Lee Camp's backup for the coming season

46. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-5578.1420763758.png
    SCOTTISH WONDERKIDS GO SOUTH
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-1200px-rotherham_united_fc.svg.png
    Two of Scotland's brightest talents have taken the trip south, joining Sky Bet Championship side Rotherham United for a combined fee of £148,000 with the duo leaving their Scottish clubs for the Millers

First to join Rotherham was Tom Smith, who's joined Rotherham for £130,000

Smith, 16, came through the ranks at Livingston, who are affiliated with Rotherham, but never made an appearance at the Tony Macaroni Arena

Smith, who can play in the number 10 role or a deeper position in the midfield, is one of Scotland's brightest hopes and many members of the Tartan Army will be watching his progress with interest
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-tom-smith.png

The second player to join Rotherham was Neil Nicoll, who's joined the Millers from Kilmarnock for £18,000

Nicoll, also 16, is another of Scotland's great hopes with the Kilmarnock born speedster hoping to make an impression at the New York Stadium
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-neil-nicoll.png

47. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg
    MILLERS MAKE STATEMENT
    Name:  7117_rotherham-united-wedding.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  19.7 KB

Last season's playoff final losers Rotherham United have started recovering from their heartbreak by bringing in four players, and making a huge statement while they're at it

First to join the club was Tarek Alaa, who's signed for a fee of £450,000 from Al-Ahly

Alaa, 18, is one of the hottest properties in world football, drawing interest from the likes of Benfica and Porto but plumped for the South Yorkshire club due to the promise of first team football

The teenager, who scored 17 goals in 51 games for Al-Ahly also has 5 goals in 8 games for Egypt and is surely a future world star
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-tarek-alaa.png

Next to join was a cheaper signing, but of no less reputation with the Millers bringing in former England international Glen Johnson

Johnson, who made 54 appearances for his country, has joined the club on a year long contract following the expiration of his contract with Stoke

The 34 year old, who has cost a total of £23m, will bring invaluable experience to the Rotherham squad 358 Premier League appearances for West Ham, Chelsea, Portsmouth, Liverpool and Stoke
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-glen-johnson.png

Rotherham them returned to their affiliate club in Liverpool with their next signing, bringing in English winger Sheyi Ojo on loan from the Reds

Ojo, 21, of course spent the last campaign on loan at Yorkshire rivals Leeds, with the Hemel Hempstead born player making 28 league appearances for The Whites as he helped them to promotion
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-sheyi-ojo.png

Last but not least is Jermaine Anderson, who's joined the Millers for £950,000

Anderson, 22, spent his entire career at Peterborough, racking up 119 appearances for Posh over a period of six seasons, scoring an impressive 12 goals from midfield

The London-born mifielder, who also qualifies for Jamaica, will be looking to add competition in the middle with the likes of Lee Evans and Michael Doughty
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-jermaine-anderson.png

Rushton, naterr, kolas79 and 3 others like this.

48. Decent signings! I'm liking the look of your new Egyptian striker!
    TheLuckDuck and ManicBadja like this.

49. Quote Originally Posted by naterr View Post
    Decent signings! I'm liking the look of your new Egyptian striker!
    Cheers mate, as am I!
    Rushton likes this.

50. We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_67165916_67165915.jpg
    MILLERS IN MAJOR CLEAROUT
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-img-0011-sl2.jpg
    Rotherham United have overseen a major clearout this summer, with 7 first team players leaving the club

The first two out of the door were Dexter Blackstock and Lee Frecklington, who left the club on free transfers on the expiration of their contracts

Frecklington was club captain at the New York Stadium, making the 146 league appearances after joining from Peterborough United
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-_90286140_rexfeatures_4972242ad.jpg

Unlike Frecklington, Dexter Blackstock has now announced his retirement from football, after leaving Rotherham, for whom he scored 4 goals in 9 appearances over 2 seasons, he is now the chief scout at Forest Green

The clearout also saw 5 players leaving for fees, with Henry Ainge leading these with a £1m transfer to Crystal Palace

The teenager, who isn't 17 until July, has joined the Eagles for a fee of £1m and has agreed a 4 year deal at Selhurst Park

Last season's top scorer Adam Le Fondre has also gone, joining Swindon Town for £400,000

Le Fondre scored 16 goals in 32 league appearances last season, but is yet to score this year, scoring his last goal in a 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday last November
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-le-fondre-main.jpg

Next to go was another striker in Kwesi Appiah, who joined Bristol City for a fee of £800,000

The Ghanian international, 28, made 60 league appearances for the Millers over 2 seasons, scoring 12 goals in that time

Joining him on the out list was ANOTHER striker in Jonson Clarke-Harris, who's joined Exeter City for £200,000

Clarke-Harris, who's Rotherham career was marred by a serious injury, spent last season on loan at Northampton

The 24 year old made 54 league appearances for the Millers, scoring 9 goals in the process
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-p42-jonson-clarke-harris-800x594.jpg

Last to leave was Ben Purrington, who joined Sheffield United for a fee of £275,000

Purrington made only 1 league appearance for Rotherham after joining from Plymouth, spending the last two seasons on loan at Gillingham and Yeovil, where he made a combined total of 60 league appearances
    We're the Millers - Rotherham United FC-opmkynmm.jpg

naterr and kolas79 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO