Like Tree23Likes

FM18 Post Your Successes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. FM18 Post Your Successes

Share with us the successes you have had on FM18.

My first Major success of this year was getting promotion with Dover. Considering we were also predicted 18th at the start of the season!

Name:  Vanarama National League_ Overview Stages.png
Views: 300
Size:  590.6 KB

2. Won the league with Liverpool, but the biggest success? Everton getting relegated.
    iamauser, Chokopop, Murley and 2 others like this.

3. Might have been an easier run to the final, but to win it in the championship is absolutely brilliant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118013550_1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	1134528
    1magine likes this.

4. Skin is coming along nicely -

make make a fm base themed one just for the site when i'm done... if i get bored over xmas

5. That looks sexy, wk. Hope you do release it.

Not a true success so far, but doing well enough with Lobos BUAP in Mexico that relegation looks unlikely has been my only success so far, as its the only save I've got any length into.

6. Getting Forest Green promoted to League One in my second season. We were expected to finish 11th

FM18 Post Your Successes-fgrcompetitions.jpg

7. Just won the final match of the Aperatura 2-1, both goals coming from free kicks. Was surprised when i looked at individual stats afterward and saw my Segundo Volante completed 123 of 143 passes. And my central mid completed 149 of 173 passes. That's a new record for FM18 for me. That's without any PIs or TIs to impact passing, like Retain Possession or Shorter Passing.

8. Now that's what I call career progression:

Name:	20171118234547_1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1134645
    PatrickLFC and Timmsoski like this.

9. Messing about with frames and info. some of the new panel/code changes have me fucking lost in xmls.

Name:	John Stones_ Overview Profile.png
Views:	162
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	1134646

Might try and get the front & back of the kit into this panel as well if i can find space.

10. Not necessarily the biggest success in the world of FM, but I was quite happy with my first real stint in a save leading me to winning my first ever Serie C in Brazil... on away goals. Never won a league title on away goals before.

Games highlighted are the ones I was in charge for.

11. Wrong thread lol whoops
    Last edited by Bigpapa42; 20/11/2017 at 05:56 PM.

12. Another screen done.... i really should start a save... but now to pull the tactics page apart... ergh!

13. Am sure this is a German 2nd round record

FM18 Post Your Successes-13-0.png
    wkdsoul likes this.

14. TheHig's Avatar TheHigPremium Member
    • Not Everyone is entitled to an opinion
      they are only entitled to an informed opinion

Religion should be like alcohol and cigarettes - You have to stay away until you are 18 when you can intelligently make the decision for yourself.
    Premium Member
    FM18 Post Your Successes-20171206123544_1.jpgGuess my success is this journeyman career so far.
    Won the vysejsaja liha with Lokomotiv Gomel after 1 season of stabilizing them
    Gained promotion to the Eredversie with RKC Waalwijk through the playoffs
    Established RKC Waalwijk as a good Eredversie side, with 5th and 3rd place finishes in last two seasons
    Won the KNVB Beker (duthc national cup) in 2024, and was runner up in 2023
    Reached the first knockround of Europa League in 2023
    Gained continental pro licence

May not seem massive, but it feels good to have started unemployed with no reputation or coaching badges, to end up fully qualified coach in charge of a club that I've built from the second tier, and probably in a position for a big job in top league soon.

I'd love to go to BATE back in Belarus, and dominate there Celtic style for a few years, if that isnt on I'd like to go to a top team in Italy, Portugal, or even here in Hollland, I'd move to Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV.
    wkdsoul, Godfish93 and PatrickLFC like this.

15. Match day started... normal commentary fixed.

Name:	Abbotsford MF Mariners v Victoria Gorge FC_ Match Pitch-4.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1137114

16. So I am in the depths of Romania and managed to keep cs balotesti ( a cash deprived ) team in the league. Thanks to my striker getting 35 goals !!https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBO...t25BQYzn1QVKnw

17. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post

Another screen done.... i really should start a save... but now to pull the tactics page apart... ergh!
    Any luck with the tactics page mate?

18. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    Any luck with the tactics page mate?
    Got it mostly how i want it, but not looked at creating a default one. try fmscout there are a few skins knocking about now...ive been trying to sort matchday into match of the day

https://vimeo.com/247547486

19. See this to believe it

Hiya guys just wondering if any of you have had this happen playing with a friend online went season unbeaten still did not win the prem the 8 draws i totally dominated the teams like 30 shots to 3 and failed to win i even missed out on the cl final after destroying inter but they seem to win 2-1 game seems odd in patches with results

FM18 Post Your Successes-untitled.png

20. Currently managing Middlesbrough, heading into season 4 and our first attempt at Champions League football.

Season 1: 2nd in Championship
    Season 2: 7th in Premier League
    Season 3: 2nd in Premier League
    Season 4: ?

21. Keep going mate.

Got to the league cup final with them and got back to back promotions. Now managing them in the championship.

22. At least the fans got their moneys worth!

I have a lot of goals in my games due to my tactics, I had the previous record for goals in a game with a 7-6 but this one was unreal! To score 3 late goals to win the game as well was extra sweet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM18 Post Your Successes-20180113215010_1.jpg  

23. Quote Originally Posted by wheddon1 View Post
    I have a lot of goals in my games due to my tactics, I had the previous record for goals in a game with a 7-6 but this one was unreal! To score 3 late goals to win the game as well was extra sweet
    Can you post the tactic please?

24. Quote Originally Posted by Pampu7 View Post
    Can you post the tactic please?
    LI4MS GOALS GALORE

That is the link to the original tactic that I just adapted to my players each season and made a few changes here and there but that practically does the same job
    Pampu7 likes this.

25. Quote Originally Posted by wheddon1 View Post
    LI4MS GOALS GALORE

That is the link to the original tactic that I just adapted to my players each season and made a few changes here and there but that practically does the same job
    Can you post your changes please?

26. Click image for larger version

Name:	PSV v Rangers_ Match Pitch-2.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1143914

Finally sorted some new pitch patterns
    Trophy_Whorder likes this.

27. Got to the play offs with Salford City Look at the goals we scored omg

FM18 Post Your Successes-130-league-goals.png

28. Click image for larger version

Name:	Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang_ Overview Attributes.png
Views:	6
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	1149638

Long time since I had a striker score that much compared to the matches he played

29. First Team

Name:	goals.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1149639
    Probably the most goals I've had a team score in one season, 19 of them was against Ross County alone including a 12-0 win over them.

30. OK...

2017/18:
    I bring you...Boston United reaching the FA Trophy semi finals for the first time since 1985. Not bad for a National League North side This is the third National League Premier side we beat(attached - thank you mods):

2018/19: My succsesses in Boston(including reaching the playoff semi finals) got me attention from a lot of clubs and in the end I went north of the border when Scottish L1 side Airdrie sent out a midseason SOS. League wise, I guided them into midtable from the relegation battle...oh and beat a Championship side to secure their first appearance in the Scottish Cup 5th round since 2009: FM18 Post Your Successes-queen-south.jpg

2019/20: In progress(so no screenshots yet) but my guys are in the L1 title race and I secured my first Manager of the month award in September 2019.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM18 Post Your Successes-bromley.jpg  
    Last edited by Matt G; 01/03/2018 at 02:47 PM.

31. I see a lot of members moaning about the strikers not scoring any goals iv never had this problem at high level or level.

FM18 Post Your Successes-ashton.pngFM18 Post Your Successes-redshaw.png
    FM18 Post Your Successes-formation.png

32. FM18 Post Your Successes-fm1.pngFM18 Post Your Successes-fm2.png

aka the best manager of all time

33. 2019/20: Airdrie have the best league regular season since dropping out of the second tier in 2013(unfortunately we got beaten by an on-form Brechin in the playoff semis): FM18 Post Your Successes-slide1.jpg

34. New match intro... any my attempted new logo pack looking pretty nice... IMO

Name:	Arsenal v Manchester City_ Match Line Ups-4.png
Views:	2
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1153197

35. 2020/21...second full season with Airdrie and...FM18 Post Your Successes-betfred-cup.jpg

The club, while still in L1 reaches the knockout stages of the Betfred Cup, seeing off Championship Raith in the process. First time the club has made the last 16 of the Scottish League Cup since 2011/12. Get beaten 1-0 at home to evebtual winners Celtic in the 1st knockout round.

And...to be continued...

36. Road deviation

Won the champions league with Nottingham forest, 2031 haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM18 Post Your Successes-98742dd6-7f1a-42f4-ba9e-718d79b9971e.jpeg  

37. Quote Originally Posted by Trophy_Whorder View Post
    I see a lot of members moaning about the strikers not scoring any goals iv never had this problem at high level or level.

Attachment 1149671Attachment 1149672
    Attachment 1149673

Maybe share tactic, love that shape

38. Working on some new pitches....

Name:	New York City v Colorado_ Match Pitch.png
Views:	5
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1156127
    MCFC Duncan likes this.

39. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    Working on some new pitches....

Attachment 1156127
    Really strange formation by both sides.....
    wkdsoul likes this.

40. So... posted about this in the Frustration / Rage thread awhile back. Its not really a Success yet, either, but still....

Current save in a smaller club in Mexico. Save has gone well, with plenty of success built around some young players I snapped up. Most were Mexican and started playing right away, despite being 16-17 years old. They've developed well, spurred on with plenty of match time. Money has been a big struggle as the club is the smallest in Liga MX. In the summer of 2019, Tigres came in with an offer for my veteran left winger (retrained from being a forward) of like 4m. Jumped at it. Didn't totally solve the money problem but it helped. I figured when someone came in from Europe with a big money offer for one of my youngsters. And sure enough, I got a big offer for my 18 year old rightback.

RB Leizpig made an offer out of nowhere. 19m Euros up front, 5m in installments, and 2 clauses of 5m each that are reachable, plus 40% sell-on profit. I tried to negotiate but only got like an extra million, but 50% sell-on. He's 18, the starting RB for Mexico, and pretty developed for his age. But limited potential to get better, and he doesn't have a lot of standout skills. Crossing is only 10, for example. He averaged 7.51 in 38 matches in the 2nd season, with 16 assists. But I have a Colombian who looks capable of replacing him, so bye-bye Cantu. So now money is no longer an issue. I spent a bit of it on a Bolivian RB for depth and a Brazilian defender.

Another reason I was okay selling Cantu is what I posted about in the Rage thread. I have a 17 year old Brazilian who can't play yet. He was a first-day newgen free agent that I snapped up. 5 star potential, 15 years old to start, a tiny winger with tons of Flair who is two footed and Professional. Not all that quick, he doesn't have standout skills as a whole (Flair and Dribbling are high), but also no overt weaknesses. Pretty balanced. The big issue is that he can't join until he's 18. Which means December of 2019. Since he was a FA, I could bring him in on trial, so he's been on trial for over 2 years. And developing. And developing. And developing. He started as a left winger, but since he was two footed, I retrained him to be a right winger too. And then since his defensive skills weren't bad, I started training him as a RB. And now he's training as a LB. I might be able to use him as a Complete Wingback to good effect, so I'm quite excited for when he can actually play. By CA, he's one of my best players and probably amongst the top in the world for his age. He will debut in December of 2019 and probably be amongst the top ten players in the league. I've been able to play him in reserve / U18 matches as well as friendlies. And he does like to get 8s on occasion. Scored an oddly high number of goals from LB in some friendlies. This kid could be brilliant. Just need to get thru another few months in-game to be able to play him lol

Edit - forgot to mention one of my forwards. So the side started with 4 forwards and no real wingers. But I wanted to play a 4-1-4-1, so 3 of the forwards got retrained to be wingers. One of those was whom I sold to Tigres for 4m. Of the newgen youngsters I grabbed at the start, there were 4 forwards. I have been retraining two into wingers and they look to be the future. But one of the 2 who stayed as a forward has been.... interesting. I didn't know what to expect - he had a skillset I liked, and good size (6'1") but his Finishing started fairly low. He had solid physicals and his both Teamwork and Workrate were reasonably high. He rotated in the 2nd season, with some starts. Ended up with something like 10 goals in 16 matches in the league and a pretty high rating (7.80ish). First match of the 2nd season and he got 2 goals and an 8.80. Its interesting because he doesn't look like a forward who should do the business. His Finishing is still only 10 and Composure is like 13. Off the Ball is about the same. But almost all his Physicals are around 15 and both TW and WR are 16. He works hard. And that works. He has had a few matches where he doesn't score and he gets like a 6.6 rating. But a goal and a 7.2 or better seem to be his norm. I wouldn't haven't picked him as my ideal solo striker but he looks like he could be a monster. Only 18 and still has room to improve.
    Last edited by Bigpapa42; 17/04/2018 at 06:23 PM.

41. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    Edit - forgot to mention one of my forwards. So the side started with 4 forwards and no real wingers. But I wanted to play a 4-1-4-1, so 3 of the forwards got retrained to be wingers. One of those was whom I sold to Tigres for 4m. Of the newgen youngsters I grabbed at the start, there were 4 forwards. I have been retraining two into wingers and they look to be the future. But one of the 2 who stayed as a forward has been.... interesting. I didn't know what to expect - he had a skillset I liked, and good size (6'1") but his Finishing started fairly low. He had solid physicals and his both Teamwork and Workrate were reasonably high. He rotated in the 2nd season, with some starts. Ended up with something like 10 goals in 16 matches in the league and a pretty high rating (7.80ish). First match of the 2nd season and he got 2 goals and an 8.80. Its interesting because he doesn't look like a forward who should do the business. His Finishing is still only 10 and Composure is like 13. Off the Ball is about the same. But almost all his Physicals are around 15 and both TW and WR are 16. He works hard. And that works. He has had a few matches where he doesn't score and he gets like a 6.6 rating. But a goal and a 7.2 or better seem to be his norm. I wouldn't haven't picked him as my ideal solo striker but he looks like he could be a monster. Only 18 and still has room to improve.
    Got thru a few matches tonight. i've never had a forward scoring like this kid. 7 goals in 4 league matches. 8.68 rating in those matches. 2 in 2 appearances in the cup, one as a sub.

FM18 Post Your Successes-chan-aug-2019.jpg

FM18 Post Your Successes-chan-aug-2019-stats.jpg

42. Glory, Glory, Man City!

1st season with Man City, while my brother is playing Man Utd.

I won the PL and the CL.
    (My brother finished 4th in the PL, was ½ finalist in the CL, won the European Super Cup, and was finalist FA Cup.)

The Main Protagonists:
    GK – Ederson
    DL – Mendy (Danilo played until he was fit) / Moreno
    DCL – Stones / Otamendi
    DCR – Kompany / de Ligt
    DR – Walker / Danilo
    MCL – Nainggollan (bought him to replace Fernandinho – won Player of the Year)
    MCR – De Bruyne / Gündogan
    AMC – David Silva (1st half of the season) / Özil (2nd half of the season)
    AML – Sané / Mertens
    AMR – Bernardo Silva / Sterling
    SC – Aguëro / Jesus

Trophies/Awards:
    Premier League winners.
    Champions League winners
    Won PL Manager of the Year
    Won PL Player of the Year (Nainggollan)
    9 (!) players in PL the Team of the Year
    Top scorer PL (Aguëro)
    Most assists PL (Sané)
    European Golden Boot (Aguëro)

Biggest losses:
    0-6 to Man Utd away (PL). Don’t ask me.
    3-5 to Newcastle away (FA Cup)
    2-4 to West Ham away (Carabao Cup)

Biggest wins:
    4-0 Man Utd home (PL). Revenge, somewhat.
    7-1 (!) Juventus home (¼ final CL)
    2-5 Juventus away (¼ final CL)
    6-1 (!) Barcelona home (½ final CL)
    1-4 Barcelona away (½ final CL)
    Final ECL: 6-2 win over Bayern Munich, leading 5-0 (!) at half time.

Other records:
    Most games without defeat (don’t remember how many exactly)
    Most goals scored in PL (had a goal difference of 100+) and CL
    Win record (don’t remember how many)

I know, I know, it’s Man City, so it’s not really a surprise to see them win the Premier League. And it’s not that big of a surprise to see them challenge for the Champions League either, I know.

You could even argue that this season was somewhat ‘bad’, because I got eliminated pretty quickly from all the English Cups (FA/Carabao) by teams I’m supposed to win easily against.

But all-in all I consider this season a success, mainly because of the way we dominated the bigger teams in the Premier League and in the Champions League. I’m usually finding it way harder to win against top teams like Juventus, Barcelona or Bayern, especially away from home. I didn’t expect this team to absolutely destroy them so early into the game.

We lost some crucial matches in the beginning of the season (the cup matches, the derby against United, …), but we absolutely ragdolled everyone in the second half of the season, so the future looks even brighter.

And we kept Man Utd behind us, so that’s a success on it’s own, right?

Sorry brother.
    Last edited by ILionI; 30/04/2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Timmsoski likes this.

43. Started a new save with AS Milan. Europa League qualifier and Silva scores four in the first half. We gone in at half-time 5-0 up, Silva has a rating of 10.0.

Subbed him off.

Only fair he should keep that perfect 10 on his record!

44. So still plugging along with the Lobos save. That massively productive wonderkid striker went to Dortmund for 38m Euros due to a release clause. I was sad, but figured I would keep going. Picked up an 18 year old Argentine with similar potential. Also have 4 fantastic Brazilians now, along with an American DM and a handful of Mexican newgens. Quite a few have earned the wonderkid label already.

The Argentine striker didn't start the 2020 season all that strongly. He went goalless for about 4 or 6 matches, getting ratings like 6.5. But I've run into it before. Thankfully there are goals from all over in this squad. Two of the main wingers are retrained strikers so they score quite often. After scoring 2 in a cup match against a 2nd division club, the kid has started scoring pretty regularly. He doesn't have the physicals, workrate, or teamwork of the kid who went to Dortmund, but I think he will develop into a star.

Just after that kid went to Dortmund (his value was about 9.5m at the time), I got some news articles, saying a couple of Portuguese clubs were looking at one of those striker-turned-wingers. Deal could be worth up to 10.5m. For a player with a value of 9.5m. It annoyed me, even thought its just media speculation. Because those articles do sometimes lead to bids, and the amount quoted isn't always far off. That just seemed stupid to me. I complained on the SI site and someone said "oh, its media speculation, means nothing". And on the last day of the summer of 2020 transfer window, I got a "big" offer of.... 10.5m from that Portuguese club. And the agent said the player wanted to move. I expected the worst when I countered with a much bigger amount, and they walked away. But the player didn't complain. Bit of a relief. Annoying that not only was the amount offered insulting, but it was done at the very end of the window. And the buying club had something like 40m sitting there, so its not like they couldn't afford to pay an amount that would actually tempt me to sell. Being a big club (grown into) in a slightly smaller nation, you kinda have to accept that the stars you develop are gonna wanna move. And I'm okay with it, but at least give me a worthwhile offer, not 10% over face value for a Wonderkid. The Mexican-born players are particularly hard to replace.

Smashing through the Aperatura portion of the 2020 season. The American DM (my first choice Segundo Volante) is starting to get some love from bigger clubs in England. Another news article, saying Liverpool want a deal for 23m. Okay, at least its not quite as insulting for a 10m rated player. But I would strongly prefer something along the lines of 50m plus 50% sell-on. Other players are getting interest as well. My star central defender - one of the few non-newgen first choice players - is wanted by the big three in Portugal. Dortmund want one of the wingers.

Had a laugh that a France-based

I won the CONCACAF Champions League earlier in 2020. Once you build a strong squad in Mexico, its not that hard TBH. Your main competition is other Mexican clubs and if you are already dominating them.... I had won it in 2019 as well, and that meant the Club World Cup. I lost 3-2 to Manchester United in the 2019. Was looking forward to the 2020 edition. In a way, its the biggest thing a club from Mexico can manage. For 2020, the other big clubs were Toronto FC (host), Flamengo, and Atletico Madrid (won the Champions League). Smashed Toronto FC in the first match. Then drew Flamengo. Pretty strong side. My 4-2-3-1 tactic isn't overly attacking (Very Fluid, Counter) but uses a high-press and high-line. In tougher matches, I've typically dropped the line to Much Deeper. But I decided to leave it alone. 4-2 win. So final against Atletico Madrid. I stared at the tactic screen for awhile before this one. They still have Simeone, his 4-4-2, Koke, Griezmann.... Should I try to be more aggressive against a team that could absorb pressure and had the ability to punish us on the break? I mulled it for far too long. I left the tactic as is, but instead of the solid but not-yet spectacular Argentine youngster, I used one of the wingers up top. He was naturally a striker and has insane physicals (19 pace, 17 strength), using two other wingers with real pace. 3-1 win. It was enough to get me shouting in joy at the computer screen. Some really nice goals, too.

I almost decided to leave the save after a successful 2019-2020 season. Was giving serious consideration to other save ideas. Oddly, it was having Dortmund buy that wonderkid striker that made me keep going for a bit longer. It was frustrating - he was scoring almost 1 in 1 in his first full season as the first choice and he still had the potential to get better. The kind of player that makes a save feel legendary in your memory. Easily the most fun save I've had on FM18, and I've had a couple good ones. This win over Atletico will probably be enough to keep me going for another bit.

The downside to this kind of save is there is a limit to what you can accomplish. At least in South America, winning the Copa Libertadores is more challenging. This one has been very much about developing youth (mostly newgens). Would love to hang onto a player long enough for them to be legit world class. A few of them have the potential. But its going to be impossible to hang onto any of them that long. In a way, its good to have players move on, because I have players in the pipeline at almost every position. If my American DM does go, I have a Mexican player who can play Segundo Volante, and a Brazilian behind him. They don't have the pace I like in an SV, but they will do well. So getting 40m plus for them is more than helpful. The club is doing okay financially - still losing money but sitting on 35m because of two players sales - RB to RB Leipzig for 30m, ST to Dortmund for 38m. But at some point, the money doesn't mean THAT much. The board is willing to improve infrastructure, but you can only do so much and at certain times. The club could use a new stadium but we aren't consistently selling out the old one yet so no use asking the board for that. Finding new players isn't that hard when you can use South American as your shopping mall. A quality 5-star newgen from Argentina or Brazil isn't going to be 25m unless you wait until they are very well established. Big thing now is trying to stock up on more Mexican prospects - the club facilities aren't good enough to produce top ones yet. Starting the process of trying to woo a great young DC from Chivas.

45. Yorkshire Dream-Rise of SWFC

Having a great time with Sheffield Wednesday.
    Have managed to find some gems in new re gens also!
    Hoping a good end to season will result in a new stadium, expansion done 2 seasons ago

46. So...where were we?

The tail end of the 2020/21 season with Airdrie in Scottish L1 ended with a Kevin Keegan Newcastle-style collapse to our league campaign! Not good. Finished 2nd, choked in the playoffs.

2021/22...I charged the guys for a title, and we only finish 3rd, and lose the playoff semi on a penalty shootout. I try to charge the players for another title run, but they don't fancy it.

Bored...I see that there's a vacancy at Scottish Championship Falkirk and that they apparantly want me. Apply for job...interview...next thing I know I've gone up a tier and tripled my salary!

In the end I wind up taking my assistant manager Kayode Odejayi, director of football Gordon Daziel and star striker Cammy Russell from Airdrie with me(Falkirk must have let their previous backroom staff go).

Now I start enjoying this game again!

2022/23 season. Beat top flight opposition for the first time in FM18(Kilmarnock, 2-1 away) on the way to the Betfred Cup quarter finals, finish 4th in the Championship, which secures a playoff spot. Unfortunately we choke in the 1st round of the playoffs.

2023/24: Another run to the Betfred Cup quarter finals, followed by an eleven-game winning run midseason, three manager-of-the-month awards so far(including two back to back), despite Odejayi becoming Dundee United manager and then knocking us out of the Scottish Cup...

FM18 Post Your Successes-2324.jpg

We...are the champions...my friends...first trophy playing FM18 with my first season in the top flight now coming up.
    DavyDepuydt likes this.

47. Not really a "success" per say, more of just a "what's going on" but with one particular interesting bit.

Been managing in Russia with Lokomotiv Moscow. Had a couple great saves with them on FM16 and FM17. Just didn't get one going on FM18 until recently. They surprisingly won the title in reality so I figured I could do the same. The squad is a bit... unbalanced for a club that did so well. I complained already in another thread about the one player who's personality got bumped up to Perfectionist refusing to tutor because he is still volatile (grrrr).

Won the title and the cup in the first season. Was knocked out of the Europa League in the second knockout round by Lazio. Been focusing quite a bit on youth. Signed a number of first day free agent newgens at the start, one of whom is a 5-star Russian winger. I also got an 18 year old rightback newgen in my first youth intake, which was fortuitous - one of my biggest positions of need and he was relatively close to starting quality right away because of his age.

When I signed the Russian winger (he was 15 but I gave him matches lol), I also signed a handful of non-Russian newgens. They couldn't officially join until they were 18 but since they were free agents, they were allowed to be "on trial" at the club until then. so youth matches and training. They have been developing well. But I basically dumped them in the U19s and forgot about them most of the season. I looked late in the year and noticed 2 things. One was that the U19 was playing a Belgian winger as the striker. Not too weird - there were several wingers in the U19s already and no strikers, so someone had to. A natural as an attacking right winger, he could also play striker (though wasn't a typical striker by skill) and I had been retraining him to be a regular right winger, so I don't use attacking wingers. But I also noticed his goal total. It was over 30. Only at the under 19 level, but still. So screw, I'll train him as a striker then.

Second season and almost to the winter break. Been watching those Under 19 newgens a lot more. The Belgian is scoring like I've never seen. Kept up a pace of almost 2 goals per match. And its weird because he's not really a well rounded striker yet. He's good physically but not outstanding. Doesn't have great Finishing, Composure, Heading, Off the Ball, Work Rate... Good for the level, but not brilliant. When I had a young Mexican player blasting in goals at a crazy rate in the Lobos save, his combination of overall physical attributes and Team Work & Work Rate seemed to make it some sense. A bit less so here. I'm actually thinking it might be down to the overall team, as I have a handful of those "on trial" newgens in there and they are pretty well developed for U19 level. I would be working some of them into the first team if that was possible. A French DM is basically the new Pogba and just got Wonderkid status.... didn't realize you could raise your rep that much in the Under 19s.

The downside to having a glut of young talent about to come through... Russia has foreign player limits and an overall squad limit of 30 players. I'm going to have to end up loaning some of these kids out to ensure they keep developing.

48. In my first season with Ajax (on FM 2018 Mobile) I won the Eredivisie, reached the final of the KNVB Beker and the Round of 16 in the Europa League. Quite a solid season. In the pre-season of the second league campaign I've signed Loftus-Cheek on a free transfer.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Sventheman11 View Post
    In my first season with Ajax (on FM 2018 Mobile) I won the Eredivisie, reached the final of the KNVB Beker and the Round of 16 in the Europa League. Quite a solid season. In the pre-season of the second league campaign I've signed Loftus-Cheek on a free transfer.
    Nice signing.

I know of another FMer who tends to play in the Netherlands. He wrote a blog post or two about the business he's done by snagging English players on a free, giving them a platform for a year or two, then selling back to English clubs for a huge free because of Brexit. So could be a windfall for a player like Loftus-Cheek.

50. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    Nice signing.

I know of another FMer who tends to play in the Netherlands. He wrote a blog post or two about the business he's done by snagging English players on a free, giving them a platform for a year or two, then selling back to English clubs for a huge free because of Brexit. So could be a windfall for a player like Loftus-Cheek.
    Interesting, on my PC-save I'm playing with VVV-Venlo and I get offered young English players by player agents regulary. It may be a good idea for me to look more closely at those players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO