Like Tree253Likes

Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

1. Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs

FM 18 is here!!

This year i'm going to try something different.

I've been writing story's on FMBase for 10 years and playing CM/FM for 20 years and sadly life is starting to catch up leaving less and less time to play FM.

In FM 17 i spent a whole year in charge of Aberdeen one of my top 3 favorites in the past 20 years. That got me thinking of all the teams i've managed over the years in respectable multi season saves

AC Milan & Italy
    Juventus
    Sheffield Weds
    Man Utd
    Southampton
    Celtic, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Scotland
    Aston Villa, Man Utd,Tottenham, Real Madrid, France

To Do
    AC Milan
    Real Madrid
    Man Utd
    Southampton
    Sheff Weds
    Aberdeen
    Dundee United

National Teams
    Italy
    Scotland

Done
    Aston Villa
    Juventus
    Celtic
    Tottenham
    France

So if i was going to do a journeyman save then why not try and repeat what i did with all these teams and try make them each Domestic & European Champions and work with the 3 International sides to try and win the only major trophy i've never won. The European Championships.

No Plans or timelines but hopefully i'll get a shot with each if not all of these teams over time

Save History

Season 1 - Aston Villa Championship 4th, Playoff Finalists
    Season 2 - Aston Villa, Championship Winners, Fa cup & League Cup Winners
    Season 3 - Aston Villa 4th in PL, Community Shield &
    Europa League
    Season 4 Aston Villa - European Super Cup
    Season 5 - Juventus Serie A, Coppa Italia, Europa Leauge
    Season 6 - Celtic SPL, Scottish Cup, League Cup
    Season 7 Celtic League Cup
    Season 7 Tottenham Premiership, Europa League

Trophys

Europa League *3

English Premiership
    English FA Cup
    English League Cup
    English Community Shield
    English Championship

Serie A
    Coppa Italia

SPL League
    Scottish Cup
    2* Scottish League Cup

Last edited by stonecold; 10/02/2018 at 10:20 PM.

2. Aston Villa

Name:  logo.png
Views: 8
Size:  6.9 KB

I thought that despite struggling with the beta to start with a bit of a challenge and go with Aston Villa

Back in FM2012 i also started a save as Aston Villa which led me to Man Utd, Tottenham & Real Madrid. Not exactly planning that route but if that chance appears i'll be doing something right

SI showing what they thing of the 2022 world cup, and i agree
    Name:  WC moved.png
Size:  217.1 KB

Pre Season 2017/18
    Our first season and with the depth of the squad i think we should have enough to fight for promotion so i only added a few youngsters and loaned a better goalkeeper and hopefully clubs will bid on my championship quality players so i can sell them on to get money for the Premiership. HOPEFULLY

Pre Season Prices
    Name:  Odds.png
Size:  511.9 KB

2nd favourites? this is just because of John Terry! If Wolves is half as goo as the real life Wolves then they wont be finishing 3rd

Aston Villa Squad
    Name:  Squad.png
Size:  427.7 KB

With the amount of money invested it was going to be hard to make any major changes to the squad and as you can see grabbing Kirchhoff on a free was the only long term change to the starting 11

To clear it up right away this the tactic i'm using. Pretty similar to last year except the AMC is now a DMC due to the Beta being quite leaky at the back. As always this is just a base and changes game to game.

Name:  Tactic.png
Size:  610.0 KB

Aston Villa Transfers
    Name:  transfers.png
Size:  313.8 KB

Jan Kirchhoff DM
    Name:  IN Kirchhoff.png
Size:  428.9 KB

The young German came to England with such promise but at a failing Sunderland team you couldnt expect much. He'll be the anchor of my team

Danny Ward GK - Loan
    Name:  IN Ward.png
Size:  428.3 KB

Not a move i planned to make but when i compared him to Sam Johnson it was not even a question which one i wanted starting for me especially after he led Huddersfield out of the championship last season

Federico Ermaccora DL
    Name:  IN Ermacora.png
Size:  426.9 KB

One for the future as the Udinese u20 star was the only future prospect that i managed to get a deal done with.

3. August

Just because there's a new medical screen does not mean every starting player must get injured
    Name:  injurys.png
Views: 9
Size:  399.0 KB

Fixtures
    Name:  fix.png
Size:  484.4 KB

Not the start we hoped for with only lower league teams in the cup getting beaten. Oh and Reading

Championship Table
    Name:  SPL.png
Size:  490.8 KB

17th with 1 win. Christ this might not be pretty

Transfers
    Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-tf2.pngStone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-tf3.png
    Only a few more kids let go from Villa

4. Interesting concept mate, will follow with interest.

So will you only be accepting jobs from sides you have formally managed? Or will you allow yourself some leeway here and there?
    stonecold likes this.

5. Loved your Aberdeen save on FM17 mate so will be following this with interest. I've bought the game myself today and will be starting my own story soon, as I really enjoyed writing my FM17 story which was my first ever!
    stonecold likes this.

6. Always enjoy your long term saves each year so I'm looking forward to this.

I see Tottenham signed Smalling for £20...silly AI.

Mixed start, lets hope you start chaining a few wins together
    stonecold likes this.

7. "young German" at 26, makes me feel a bit better about being 28 mate
    stonecold likes this.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Interesting concept mate, will follow with interest.

So will you only be accepting jobs from sides you have formally managed? Or will you allow yourself some leeway here and there?
    I'll be sticking to these teams

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    "young German" at 26, makes me feel a bit better about being 28 mate
    Speaking at 29 years and 11 months i see you totally get my drift!
    Average Joe likes this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    I'll be sticking to these teams

Speaking at 29 years and 11 months i see you totally get my drift!
    stonecold likes this.

10. I forgot how amazing that show was!
    Average Joe likes this.

11. September

A thumping from Middlesbrough left in a must change scenario so i try 2 up top and it works wonders. Till we face the bottom two where 4 points dropped leaves the squad approaching mutiny

On the other end we have a major success story from this season
    Name:  Burnley.png
Size:  406.6 KB

It took a stoppage time winner from Snodgrass that has us into the last 16 where we'll play league 1 side Oxford and having a great chance to get to the quarter finals

Fixtures
    Name:  Fix.png
Size:  471.7 KB

Championship Table
    Name:  League.png
Size:  463.4 KB

Having said that its not like our seasons on the verge of disaster. Top 6 is the boards target and were only 4 points back and unbeaten in 4 league games

Dynamics
    Name:  dynamics.png
Size:  437.6 KB

Early doors but i have to give this feature a HUGE thumbs down.Seems to cause or at least amplify problems that speed up the process of getting sacked really early into a save, something that may turn of players who only buy it to play as there favorite team.

Nurquidi98 likes this.

12. yeah i am not a fan of the new dynamics but like any new feature it will take time to get used to it
    stonecold likes this.

13. Villa is a tough assignment i think - you're right that there pre season odds of 2nd were widely off. But then again this is the championship - get a short winning run together and you'll be right up there.
    stonecold likes this.

14. Quote Originally Posted by JT3197 View Post
    Villa is a tough assignment i think - you're right that there pre season odds of 2nd were widely off. But then again this is the championship - get a short winning run together and you'll be right up there.

Positionally that's true, but in the dynamic the players support for me has just gone down and down despite not loosing for almost 2 months

Name:  dyman.png
Views: 4
Size:  438.7 KB

Anyone else having issues with the game freezing when your in the tactics screen? Twice now i've lost really good runs in October due to it crashing

Last edited by stonecold; 11/11/2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Disclaimer89 likes this.

15. Come on, give Whelan a chance

16. Quote Originally Posted by Disclaimer89 View Post
    Come on, give Whelan a chance
    I'd love to if he would stay fit

17. October

3rd time lucky and we finally complete the month of October, An of course it would be the worst month we had finishing with 4 points less than our worst save

Our only win was in the League Cup where we beat Oxford with back ups and youths to reach the Quarter Finals
    Name:  lc 1.png
Size:  425.4 KB

In the Quarters we'll play Newcastle
    Name:  lc draw.png
Size:  332.2 KB

Fixtures
Size:  464.3 KB

Championship Table
    Quite a differnce from the October i wrote about earlier where we were only 3 points off automatic promotion. WEre 18th and 7 points off the playoff spots without a win in 6 league games

kolas79 and Nurquidi98 like this.

18. Villa looks tough mate....with your story writing skills, I'd love to see you do a journeyman save? I'm doing one myself and absolutely love it! Is it something you've ever considered?

19. Quote Originally Posted by BallyC7 View Post
    Villa looks tough mate....with your story writing skills, I'd love to see you do a journeyman save? I'm doing one myself and absolutely love it! Is it something you've ever considered?
    I've done a few but not for 3 or 4 years.

20. November

Month starts with a ominous message
    Name:  sack 1.png
Views: 11
Size:  205.3 KB

Results talk and the month ends with a very different message
    Name:  MOTM.png
Size:  395.1 KB

I'm not getting too excited after what happened to September's winner
    Name:  last MOTM.png
Size:  335.0 KB

Fixtures
Size:  470.0 KB

3 wins and 2 draws with youngster Keinan Davis leading the way

Championship Table
    Name:  Championship.png
Size:  465.0 KB

All of a sudden were only 3 points off a playoff spot heading into a busy December.

21. Tricky start but hopefully things are turning around now, btw think you left Rangers off the list of teams you've managed though - deliberately?

22. Difficult start old friend..... you may not remember me from FM14 (LOL) i did a save and story with Cadiz in Spain

Save looks good, like the story layout
    stonecold likes this.

23. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Tricky start but hopefully things are turning around now, btw think you left Rangers off the list of teams you've managed though - deliberately?
    Drat i knew someone would notice. I am not going back there under any circumstance, unless i did another saving Scotland save then i might if forced

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh1984 View Post
    Difficult start old friend..... you may not remember me from FM14 (LOL) i did a save and story with Cadiz in Spain

Save looks good, like the story layout
    Yes! was saying to Patrick it was had to spot anyone from before fm16 these days. You still playing?
    PatrickLFC likes this.

24. December

The month begins with a defeat at Leeds and a ultimatum from the board
    Name:  ultimatum.png
Views: 6
Size:  321.1 KB

Newcastle ended our League cup run, well actually i'm saying Neil Taylors red card after 9 minutes ended our cup run, We were dominated from that point on wards

Name:  newcastke.png
Size:  416.5 KB

Fixtures
Size:  474.2 KB

The Middlesbrough collapse ruins our hopes of 5 job saving wins in a row

Championship Table
    Name:  League.png
Size:  462.9 KB

Despite all our success in December were still 2 points off a playoff spot, but the gap to the top 2 is only 7 points meaning if we can keep up this form in the second half of the season we'll be in the promotion race.

Nurquidi98, PatrickLFC and BallyC7 like this.

25. How is Josh Onomah (on loan from Spurs) doing for you?

26. Quote Originally Posted by Disclaimer89 View Post
    How is Josh Onomah (on loan from Spurs) doing for you?
    Useless! he's hardly played due to our depth at MC and went back to Spurs at the start of January after 6 appearances, mostly from the bench. Might turn out good but wrong place at the wrong time

27. Yeah man im still playing, didnt get fm17 but on fm16 still until i buy fm18 next month
    stonecold likes this.

28. Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Useless! he's hardly played due to our depth at MC and went back to Spurs at the start of January after 6 appearances, mostly from the bench. Might turn out good but wrong place at the wrong time
    That's unlucky. In my Spur's save (I'm still on my first season - Christmas time) he hasn't done much on loan with the AI. I think he's played 8 games out of a possible 18... 1 goal and 1 assist. Not sure I'll keep him when he returns unless he improves big time.

Anyway keep up the good work.
    stonecold likes this.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Disclaimer89 View Post
    That's unlucky. In my Spur's save (I'm still on my first season - Christmas time) he hasn't done much on loan with the AI. I think he's played 8 games out of a possible 18... 1 goal and 1 assist. Not sure I'll keep him when he returns unless he improves big time.

Anyway keep up the good work.
    Might be worth another season on loan if Villa does not play him enough?

30. January

Very busy and profitable month at Villa

We were trounced by Arsenal in the FA Cup although we did play a totally back up and youth team with all my focus being on the league
    Name:  fa cup thrashing.png
Views: 5
Size:  430.4 KB

Fixtures
Size:  469.0 KB

We start 2018 with a nose dive in form loosing to Bristol City and Nottm Forest before almost blowing a 3 goal lead against Barnsley then beating a fellow top 6 chasing side Sheffield United

Championship Table
    Name:  table.png
Size:  460.5 KB

Despite starting with two defeats we still manage to end the month in the top 6, tied with 4 teams on 46 points. We'll need a charge soon if we're to reach the top 2 but we all know i'd take a shot at top 6 afte rour start.

Transfer Window
    Name:  transfers.png
Size:  332.5 KB

7 players join as 9 leave.

Brad Smith - DL
    Name:  in Brad Smith.png
Size:  427.3 KB

Transfer listed by Bournemouth and a big upgrade on Neil Taylor and one that is ready for Premiership football already

Carel Eiting - MC
    Name:  in aja guy.png
Size:  443.7 KB

An Ajax prospect that was interested it us! I think its earlier than i would like to have him but with nobody interested in joining i felt i had to add him now and spend some of our income

In loans from Liverpool & AC Milan
    Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-lona-1.pngStone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-lona-2.pngStone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-lona-3.png

Two of Scotlands most promising youngster join, We aim to make a profit off them in the next year or so.
    Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-youth-1.pngStone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs-youth-2.png

Out
    I'll try and keep this short! Scott Hogan was a money grab. Long term he was never going to be our lead striker at this level so £14m for him was a no brainer. Jan Kirchhoff fell down the rankings quickly and with teams interested i offered him out at £6m and laughed at the £5m Stoke paid him. Mile Jedinak, Albert Adomah and a returning Ross McCormack were on huge wages for players that were back up at best so again no problem moving them on for the long term good of the club.

TheBattman and Disclaimer89 like this.

31. Yesssss hope Cutrone will bang some in!

Some great business done there mate (on paper haha)
    stonecold likes this.

32. February

We came so close to a undefeated month until we lost a very poor match to Sheffield Weds. We had the first 7 shots on goal but they scored with the 8th and just as we were looking like going on to score a winner Trent Arnold broke his ankle and with 10 men we lost it all

Fixtures
Views: 227
Size:  465.8 KB

Wednesday aside we had a really good month. Only Fulham who are clear in 3rd held us to a draw at home as the new players settled into the team. Loosing Arnold will be a big blow as our own players a quite a drop off.

Championship Table
    Despite having a decent run top 2 is now 10 points away and its looking like play-off or bust. Were in by 6 points, effectively 7 with our goal difference so a good March will secure our top 6 finish and maybe offer a ounce of hope for top 2.

Youth intake
    Name:  youth 1.png
Views: 228
Size:  450.2 KB

One of the worst intakes i've seen. We only have 1 decent player and he's a winger, we dont play attacking wingers!

Nurquidi98 likes this.

33. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    Yesssss hope Cutrone will bang some in!

Some great business done there mate (on paper haha)
    I hoe he can at least keep up with Kodjia in goal scoring with Ben Woodburn making the chances for the two of them

34. March

Villa reward me, perhaps a bit to quickly with a new contract. I took a £10k drop in wages to extend the deal from 2 years to 4. You can not put a price on job security.

Name:  NEW CONTARACTS.png
Views: 174
Size:  226.3 KB

Fixtures
Views: 176
Size:  471.5 KB

As i said the reward was not based on this months form especially the defeat to Bolton. Loosing late points to QPR and Sunderland dont hold up to the thrashing we put on leaders Hull

Championship Table
Views: 174
Size:  466.1 KB

The top 4 sides all had a very poor March. Norwich were the biggest winners flying up to 3rd place. Despite our dodgy form we actually close the gap on the top 2 however 7th place derby get closer so boom and bust.

Disclaimer89 and Nurquidi98 like this.

35. Going to be tight for the playoffs between 7 or 8 teams by the looks of it... Hopefully you can string together 3 or 4 wins and secure a playoff spot with a couple of games left. Good luck mate!
    stonecold likes this.

36. Quote Originally Posted by BallyC7 View Post
    Going to be tight for the playoffs between 7 or 8 teams by the looks of it... Hopefully you can string together 3 or 4 wins and secure a playoff spot with a couple of games left. Good luck mate!
    we're only 6pts away from the Automatic spots. We're aiming big here at Villa
    BallyC7 likes this.

37. April

Squad memo
    This months mission, Do everything we can to avoid promotion

Fixtures
Views: 158
Size:  470.1 KB

Three draws in a row after a defeat with a win to start and end the month but trash in the middle

Championship Table
    Name:  Table.png
Views: 155
Size:  471.5 KB

Going into the final day we're all about 5th place. A win at Millwall will get us 5th but if we fail Middlesbrough is tied on points and Sheffield Wednesday 1 point back but our goal difference also plays in our favor

38. Conn's Avatar Conn
    Star Player
    "thrashing of hull" 3-1?

you are doing a trumendouse job as the villa squad is nowere near beeing suited for any tactic and it wil ltake time to perfection it, but when i think trashing i think win by 4-5-6 goals :p

love r eading this perfectly presented and all btw <3

i suggest you hunt down Gersbach from norwegian champions Rosenborg as he is better than Smith and a tonn cheaper

39. Quote Originally Posted by Conn View Post
    "thrashing of hull" 3-1?

you are doing a trumendouse job as the villa squad is nowere near beeing suited for any tactic and it wil ltake time to perfection it, but when i think trashing i think win by 4-5-6 goals :p

love r eading this perfectly presented and all btw <3

i suggest you hunt down Gersbach from norwegian champions Rosenborg as he is better than Smith and a tonn cheaper

The result reads 3-1 but we hammered them. If it was my team loosing like that i'd be reporting 11 cases of GBH

Will have too look at Gersbach but a bit late now that Smith and a decent u18 is in play
    Nurquidi98 likes this.

40. Lets hope its not play off heart ache. always nice to end the season with a trophy and I'd count that big shiny playoff cup as a trophy!

you have a massive +GD compared to those teams around you - how you stuck in 5th? just unlucky I guess with draws
    stonecold likes this.

41. Quote Originally Posted by JT3197 View Post
    Lets hope its not play off heart ache. always nice to end the season with a trophy and I'd count that big shiny playoff cup as a trophy!

you have a massive +GD compared to those teams around you - how you stuck in 5th? just unlucky I guess with draws

Simply our Defense has been a sieve
    Disclaimer89 likes this.

42. TheHig's Avatar TheHigPremium Member
    • Not Everyone is entitled to an opinion
      they are only entitled to an informed opinion

Religion should be like alcohol and cigarettes - You have to stay away until you are 18 when you can intelligently make the decision for yourself.
    Premium Member
    31 here, you never out grow football manager
    stonecold likes this.

43. Followed your Aberdeen save last year but don't think i commented on it much, best of luck with this man!
    stonecold likes this.

44. Final Match

Name:  final game.png
Views: 139
Size:  109.4 KB

Millwall 2-4 Aston Villa
    Name:  MAtch.png
Views: 140
Size:  422.2 KB

The Londoner's gave us a real fright just before half a hour as Ngoy gave them a shock lead. Ben Woodburn quickly drew us level and Tommy Elphick had us ahead 7 minutes later. A Kodjia double in the second half secured our playoff spot before Millwall score a late goal to secure things

Views: 141
Size:  471.7 KB

We actually move up to 4th and will play a team who have totally shit the bed at the end of the season Bristol City.

45. Even though the media expected you to finish 2nd, i think 4th is a good season, promotion is promotion no matter how you get it in my opinion.
    Fingers crossed for the playoffs
    stonecold likes this.

46. Play Off Semi Final

1st leg
    Bristol City 1-1 Aston Villa
    Name:  1st leg.png
Views: 78
Size:  421.6 KB

We started well against one of the league worst form teams going into this match. Kodjia of course had given us the lead and despite Brisol City pressure it looked like we would have enough to hold on but with 20 minutes to go there MOTM Diedhiou scored the goal that keeps this tie level going into the 2nd leg at Villa Park

2nd leg
    Aston Villa 3-0 Bristol City
    Ason Villa win 4-1 on AGG
    Name:  2nd leg.png
Size:  423.3 KB

By far our best performance of the season. Two early goals down the right from De Laet and Davis and before the 3rd we could have scored half a dozen more such was our dominance. A 3rd goal right on half time all but tied up the game and we were on our way to wembley

Results
    Name:  results.png
Size:  331.3 KB

Norwich had a far tougher tie with Middlesbrough and i'd say we'd be vast underdogs against a team that thumped us not to long ago.

47. Championship Play off Final

Name:  trophy.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  10.4 KB

Norwich vs Aston Villa
    Name:  norw.png
Size:  5.7 KB Name:  villa badge.png
Size:  10.0 KB

Norwich have been the form team in the league going into this game. I hope Middlesbrough managed to knock them down a peg

Norwich 2-1 Aston Villa
    Name:  final.png
Size:  422.2 KB

The better team won as much as it hurts to say. The way we lost with 6 minutes to go is the worst feeling. KNowing a whole season came down to that moment and we'll have another year in the Championship.

48. So near! How has the board taken it?
    gives you another year to bed the squad in and maybe pick up a few more younger players to develop... (trying to look on the bright side)
    stonecold likes this.

49. Quote Originally Posted by JT3197 View Post
    So near! How has the board taken it?
    gives you another year to bed the squad in and maybe pick up a few more younger players to develop... (trying to look on the bright side)
    Boards neither up or down. Despite the media prediction we were always going to be happy with top 6. Just gave me a 4 year deal so im sure they wouldnt want to pay me off unless we totally capitulated. Bringing in kids is the maid aim of the summer. Maybe some Premiership quality player on loan, especially for the defense.

50. Mate, so gutted for you in the playoff final! But another year in the Championship to build a squad capable of surviving in the Premiership may be a blessing!

I've got my own playoffs in the Swedish leagues (bottom tier) to look forward to now!
    stonecold likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO