Like Tree124Likes

Russia World Cup 2018

1. Russia World Cup 2018

As we are on the eve of the World Cup starting, I thought mayswell start this thread now and get some discussion going as I'm sure it will have a lot of talking points through the summer. So feel free to post about who you think will win? Players to watch out for? Anything else related welcome.

I'll kick this off by saying that Saudi Arabia will host a World Cup before they win a game at a World Cup.

P.S. Now I've put the ZZ curse on the Arabians, they'll go on and win the bloody tournament!
    Tyton, lxl Ra lxl and tzahy like this.

2. Have a sneaky feeling Argentina could win this one. Messi's last attempt before retiring from international football. Germany will always be there or thereabouts. Will keep a eye on Iceland too. Hope they do well
    zzeezzy likes this.

3. I was wondering if there would be a thread like this. Glad you opened one zzezzy!

For me, is Brazil, France, Spain and Germang by some distance. Spain less so with the unbelievable decision to dismiss Lopetegui.
    zzeezzy likes this.

4. I’m curious to see how Mexico fares in this WC. Lots of people think they’ll finally get to that quarter final game and maybe even further from that. Besides them, also want to see how group c with France Denmark Peru and Australia plays out. France might be a guarantee but don’t forget 2010 and the other three teams are really solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The situation with Spain's manager is the most absurd shit I have ever seen in football. Looks like Spanish FA have sacked him because..they got butthurt I guess? WTF.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    The situation with Spain's manager is the most absurd shit I have ever seen in football. Looks like Spanish FA have sacked him because..they got butthurt I guess? WTF.
    He fucked them though, extremely unprofessional that the head of your FA finds out 5mins before the press release. Dont see what other option they had. Considering he accepted a new contract just a month ago shows the faith they put in him. Then again you dont sack your coach a day before the world cup starts especially when he is well liked by the majority of the squad. The whole situation could have been avoided if Madrid and Lopetegui had waited until after the world cup. Instead they put the Spanish FA in a lose-lose situation.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

7. Quote Originally Posted by borofan12 View Post
    I’m curious to see how Mexico fares in this WC. Lots of people think they’ll finally get to that quarter final game and maybe even further from that. Besides them, also want to see how group c with France Denmark Peru and Australia plays out. France might be a guarantee but don’t forget 2010 and the other three teams are really solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mexico is always tough to beat in a WC, but they'll likely face Brasil in the 16 round. I don't fancy their chances.

8. Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    He fucked them though, extremely unprofessional that the head of your FA finds out 5mins before the press release. Dont see what other option they had. Considering he accepted a new contract just a month ago shows the faith they put in him. Then again you dont sack your coach a day before the world cup starts especially when he is well liked by the majority of the squad. The whole situation could have been avoided if Madrid and Lopetegui had waited until after the world cup. Instead they put the Spanish FA in a lose-lose situation.
    It was not a lose-lose situation. If they kept Lopetegui (like they did with Aragones in 2008 when he signed for Fenerbahce before the euro) they'd be one of the strongest candidates, if not the strongest. As a executive, the president of Spanish FA should be able to put pride aside and objectively choose the better option for the national team to win the WC. It is not just about Lopetegui. It was disrespectful to the players that worked hard to play at the level they are, including Iniesta , who'll play his last WC. The president fecked up badly.
    Last edited by brunoh; 5 Days Ago at 04:17 AM.
    Tyton likes this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    Of course it was unprofessional, but what do you accomplish by sacking him, when he would be gone in 4 weeks anyways? To me it just looks like petty revenge and FA putting their pride over the good of the team.

10. Everton Nice Guy Gramps
    I won't be watching the Russian World Cup for reasons, but I will say good luck to the squad.

And I'm hoping the press won't do the usual bullshit of building up players (especially young ones) then absolutely crucifying them over one mistake, which will completely shatter their confidence. Oh wait, who am I kidding.

+ Reply to Thread