dennis23294

Reaction score
i'm trying something new on my spurs game, the 3-6-1 formation in the tactics creator which looks like a 3-4-2-1. the first game was a success as i forced them to shoot from long range all the time. the back 7 players look like this:

aaaa.png

what's the best way to set up a 3 man defense, cover stopper cover, stopper cover stopper, defend defend defend, what instructions

cheers

as a fair warning, a 3-man defense is only suitable for 2-striker formations 4-4-2, 4-4-2 diamond etc

otherwise, you're unnecessarily overloaded in the CB area making you underloaded elsewhere on the pitch

a good tactical read on the 3-man defense system

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/24/three-man-defence-in-football-soccer/

as to answer your question "what's the best way to set up a 3 man defense", it depends on the players you have and how adaptable they are to using the stopper, cover, or defend system. personally, i'd like to have the middle CB cover to act as a sweeper. but there are times when i set the middle CB to stopper, again depending on the player i'm using

example, in my 3-man defense which i use experimentally vs weaker teams, i have juan as a defender, burdisso as a stopper and mexes as cover. by default i have mexes in the middle, but when i feel that the opposition striker is being allowed too much room, i move burdisso/stopper to the center and have mexes on the side as a regular defender

Last edited:
as a fair warning, a 3-man defense is only suitable for 2-striker formations 4-4-2, 4-4-2 diamond etc

otherwise, you're unnecessarily overloaded in the CB area making you underloaded elsewhere on the pitch

a good tactical read on the 3-man defense system

as to answer your question "what's the best way to set up a 3 man defense", it depends on the players you have and how adaptable they are to using the stopper, cover, or defend system. personally, i'd like to have the middle CB cover to act as a sweeper. but there are times when i set the middle CB to stopper, again depending on the player i'm using

example, in my 3-man defense which i use experimentally vs weaker teams, i have juan as a defender, burdisso as a stopper and mexes as cover. by default i have mexes in the middle, but when i feel that the opposition striker is being allowed too much room, i move burdisso/stopper to the center and have mexes on the side as a regular defender

Sorry but thats wrong. My 3 man defence tactic also used 3 strikers and i and many others have had lots of success with it.

Sorry but thats wrong. My 3 man defence tactic also used 3 strikers and i and many others have had lots of success with it.

no no no that's not what i meant. sorry

what i mean to have said is "a 3-man defense is only suitable against 2-striker formations"

and here's the correct link to a technical analysis of a 3-man defense system

i believe 3-4-3 variants work as well sometimes even better than 3-5-2's