4-4-2 - Modern (Control and Attack Space)

Unfortunately I have only used it for the past 8 seasons or so, not at the start. But, the results of my team were much much better compared to other tactics I was using (4141 and 433). I can see the tactic working well with Milan in the first season, with a couple of purchases.

Im quite positive that the results for you will be positive as well, it is a balanced tactic attacking and defensive wise, without major weaknesses. It would be awesome if you could try it out and let me know, I can also help with answering any questions to use the tactic effectively.

I havr started to test it with Atletico Madrid!Perfect team for 442 formation,I have Saul as wide playmaker!Left foot just perfect,starting to play some friendly matches to be honest I am not impresed for now!Maybe later when thay use to play in this sistem but again who else would be fit for this if not Atletico Madrid!I will keep testing I hope so this will work!

Thanks mate! I will keep you updated on how my team will do with the mirror version of the tactic.

(btw Zaniolo is a wonderful midfielder, with a lot of workrate and decent defensive attributes, so I'll give him a go. Regarding the WP, he will be Richarlison, who has been immense for me as winger/inside forward so far).

Fantastic, looking forward :)

I havr started to test it with Atletico Madrid!Perfect team for 442 formation,I have Saul as wide playmaker!Left foot just perfect,starting to play some friendly matches to be honest I am not impresed for now!Maybe later when thay use to play in this sistem but again who else would be fit for this if not Atletico Madrid!I will keep testing I hope so this will work!

Great, keep me posted. I’m confident you will get good results soon, just give it a few more matches and time for the familiarity to go up. Saul indeed would be great for this tactic, he’s going to thrive :) is your left winger also left footed?

Great, keep me posted. I’m confident you will get good results soon, just give it a few more matches and time for the familiarity to go up. Saul indeed would be great for this tactic, he’s going to thrive :) is your left winger also left footed?

S ah I have top team perfect for this tactic I have Lemar on left wonder player,costa as press forward griezman as advanced Forward,amazing team but its not working,I am stil playing but I will give up,not happy with anything I a sorry but I have waste my 5 hours just right now!I have copied every your instruction but its not working!

S ah I have top team perfect for this tactic I have Lemar on left wonder player,costa as press forward griezman as advanced Forward,amazing team but its not working,I am stil playing but I will give up,not happy with anything I a sorry but I have waste my 5 hours just right now!I have copied every your instruction but its not working!

Try switching the strikers, better to have a right footed player playing advanced forward. Also, costa is taller so will get on the end of crosses. I’m sorry to hear about your results and I hope it changes around soon.

Griezman is confortable to play with left and right feet so that isnt problem...

Anyone else had the opportunity to test this tactic?

Hi, wanted to ask, have you tried changing the central defenders to ball playing defenders? With defend duty of course.
Since the tactic instruct to build from back and distribute to center backs. I got 2 ball playing defenders with good passing and but not world class defending stats. I will try it and see how it goes.

Hi, wanted to ask, have you tried changing the central defenders to ball playing defenders? With defend duty of course.
Since the tactic instruct to build from back and distribute to center backs. I got 2 ball playing defenders with good passing and but not world class defending stats. I will try it and see how it goes.

It should work - I personally prefer the CBs to keep it simple and pass it to the CMs or fullbacks. I think you should think more about what you want to see from your buildup play, rather than giving a role that best suits your players. But, if you were to use a BPB, I think use it on the side next to the attacking winger, so he could play some attacking through balls into that space

[FONT=&quot]Tactic Test and Rationale:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To test the tactic better myself, I decided to start a new save with Milan (Season 2018/2019, 19.3) using this tactic. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The primary reason for this was to determine the effectiveness of the tactic, versus just the players - The players I had in my other Milan save were all world class, molded perfectly to fit my system. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The current Milan squad (2018/2019)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was predicted to come 5th in pre-season. To this team, I added Bailey (Left winger) and Simeone (rotational striker) in the summer, and Barella, J.Felix, and J.Tah in the winter (sold/loaned 8-9 players to fund this). Bailey was the only real out and out starter who represented a large leap in quality for my system. The others were either younger players with high potential (J Felix/Barella) or depth options (Tah/Simeone).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Overall, I would say that after the additions, I had a team that should quality for the CL if managed reasonably well, although I was far wore than Juve, and a bit worse than Inter or Napoli. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Result: League Champions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The results after 36 games are shown below (Won 29, draw 5, loss 2). I won the league, something I have never done with milan in the past 3-4 editions of FM in the first season (even this year, in my original save --different tactic -- I only won it in my second season). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scored 83 and conceded 13 in the 36 games in question. Of the 36 games, my team kept 25 clean sheets. I did go through a patch of games in Jan/Feb where I wasn't scoring much, but luckily I was able to grind out several 1-0 wins to keep the momentum going. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In addition, my team won the Italian cup and Italian super cup, although we were humiliated in the EL Semis (had to roll out the youth side due to fixture congestion/lack of good depth/tight league race). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Another key thing to note: Both my U20 and U18 teams also comfortably won their league titles. The quality of my youth teams are quite poor (the real life U20 team got relegated this year). This is further proof of the tactic working fairly well. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Player Performance:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Coming to the players - I have attached a screenshot with some of the key stats.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Suso (wide playmaker) had 73 key passes, leading the league by a large amount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Bailey (left winger) had 13 goals and 20 assists (albeit, some of these were from corners).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- My advanced forward, Piatek (who is not as amazing in the game as in real life, sadly), has managed to bag 17 goals in the league from 33 starts, currently 3 behind Cristiano. There were some concerns on the AF getting isolated, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a tactical issue. Piatek (which I checked online, is about a 155 CA at the start of the game) is no where close to world class, but still managed to perform quite well. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The support striker (Initially Cutrone, then Simeone, Felix towards the end) also performed fairly well. Around 0.3-0.4 goals/game, along with some assists. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I decided to play J.Felix as a False 9 rather than a PF-S, as his skillset was much better suited to it. My vision was to create a second coming of Kaka (although he is only 19 and far off from being an every week starter). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conclusion:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At this point, I can conclude with a reasonable amount of confidence that the tactic performs quite well, when the team is at least of EL/CL qualifying calibre. The fact that my youth teams performed well with this tactic is, in my opinion, potentially proof that it can work in lower levels as well, although I can't state this with 100% confidence. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Perhaps, there is also more than the tactic which leads to success - such as hiring the right coaches/medical staff, team talks, man management, etc. I try to focus a lot on this (except for press conf, where I get an assistant with 16+ man management and let him do it). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If anyone has any questions/observations/thoughts, I would be glad to answer. [/FONT]

Good results, can you put the tactic link?
Thanks

After winning the 2022 World Cup with Brazil (playing in a 4-2-3-1), I was invited to manage Internazionale, that finish 8th in the Serie A TIM and has sold Icardi, Lautaro Martinez, Nainggolan and others.

The team had just 3 good players when I arrived: Grimaldo, De Vrij and Rodri, besids three good options in Rony Lopes, Colidio (advanced Forward) and Gagliardini.

I decided to use this tactic and, therefore, buy two players: Thiago Almada (right footed playmaker, to play with Grimaldo on the left, on a mirror version of this tactic) and Kai Havertz (to play as Pressing Forward). After a few games, I decided to play Havertz as Shadow Striker, because I feel that he would be more involved in the build-up. In my experience, the SS would begin the play more linked with the Winger and the CM and, in the later stages, would show up in the box to score.

So far, I'm very happy with this tactic. The style of play is amazing. The attack is good (Colidio has scored 1 goal per game so far), the movements are amazing and the playmaker got a lot of attention, as promised.

I got really impressed with the defense of this tatic. Its amazing. Congrats!

To OP: I would love to see other tactics by you. If you made other things, please post here as well. :)

After winning the 2022 World Cup with Brazil (playing in a 4-2-3-1), I was invited to manage Internazionale, that finish 8th in the Serie A TIM and has sold Icardi, Lautaro Martinez, Nainggolan and others.

The team had just 3 good players when I arrived: Grimaldo, De Vrij and Rodri, besids three good options in Rony Lopes, Colidio (advanced Forward) and Gagliardini.

I decided to use this tactic and, therefore, buy two players: Thiago Almada (right footed playmaker, to play with Grimaldo on the left, on a mirror version of this tactic) and Kai Havertz (to play as Pressing Forward). After a few games, I decided to play Havertz as Shadow Striker, because I feel that he would be more involved in the build-up. In my experience, the SS would begin the play more linked with the Winger and the CM and, in the later stages, would show up in the box to score.

So far, I'm very happy with this tactic. The style of play is amazing. The attack is good (Colidio has scored 1 goal per game so far), the movements are amazing and the playmaker got a lot of attention, as promised.

I got really impressed with the defense of this tatic. Its amazing. Congrats!

To OP: I would love to see other tactics by you. If you made other things, please post here as well. :)

Thank you for trying out the tactic and posting back.

Shadow striker instead of Pressing forward sounds very interesting indeed. I might have to give it a go myself. Do you still combine him with an advanced forward? Using two attack duty players together in attack is a bit unconventional, but from reading your description, it certainly sounds interesting.

In my new save (currently on 2nd season), I am using a false 9 instead of a PF(s), as I bought Joao Felix, who is much better at the false 9 role. He could be a good option for shadow striker as well. My vision for him is to play similar to Kaka at Milan. As a false 9, he is doing well, although there is always potential for improvement.

I am currently in my second season, with a full youth policy. With a squad average age of 22, I have won the league (undefeated), and am in the CL final. The tactic is certainly working well for me, even without a team full of world class players.

I am glad you are enjoying it. Another tactic I have used (identical team instructions to the 4-4-2) is a slightly more defensive 4-1-4-1. Actually, he 4-1-4-1 is the base from which I developed the 4-4-2. It is especially good against strong teams away from home that use a 4-2-3-1 (since it has a DM), but it is somewhat less potent going forward. I don't have my save open atm, but it looks like this:
-------------PF(s)
W(at)---CM(At)---CM(s)----IW(at
----------------DLP(D)----------
FB(s)----CD(D)----CD(D)----WB(S)
---------------SK(D)

The idea is that you defend in a 4-1-4-1, and attack in a 4-3-3. The left side features direct wing play, with the attacking CM occupying the space between the striker and winger. He should be a goal scorer. The right flank features overlapping play. The attacking approach is similar to the 4-4-2, but with an extra midfield player. It is a good tactic to close out games and/or away from home in CL, particularly against teams that use a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.

That being said, the 4-4-2 has been my favorite tactic I have created over many years of FM, not just for the results, but for the style of play and fundamentals that it follows.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Atacking

Hi,

I'm trying your tactic and so far this are the results:

View attachment 6750

As you see, i have some good results. But i feel that the team have some difficulties do create goal oportunities. It's strange because i'v won Manchester United 3-0, Barcelona 4-0 and i've turned a game against Bayern Muniche with 3-2.

I'm winning with too much difficulty than i would expect when i see the stats in each game.

It's worst in away game.

This is my team

Do you have any advice?

View attachment 6747

Update: Second season with the Milan team done (2019/2020).

Result: Champions League (Won), Serie A (Won), Italian Cup (Semi Finals, Loss).

Squad average age is just 22.

Season Overview:
Going into the second season, I decided to continue focusing on a youth only policy, as I always do in Football Manager. This involves

1)Buying 18-22 year olds who can either start for me right away
2)Investing in 15-17 year old (regens) with the potential to be world class (scouting each for at least 3 months with my top scouts)
3)Selling players without world class potential, even if they are young, if the right offer comes along

Here, you can see the transfers (in and out) that I have made. In just 2 seasons, I have been able to raise over 350M from player sales, without weakening my team (a special thanks to the AI for making ridiculous bids for average players)
attachment.php

My starting lineup and squad now looks like this. Besides Romagnoli and Caldara (who I love in real life as a Milan fan), the rest of my starting lineup are all 23 or below (Note - I played J.Felix as a False 9 rather than a PF(S), since his skills are much better suited to this role). The difference is that after dropping deep to get the ball, he looks to look up and dribble/pass quickly, instead of holding it up, a skill better suited for physical, strong forwards with balance/strength):

attachment.php

Results in Champions League:
attachment.php

Serie A table:
attachment.php

Player performance:

Pietro Pellegri, who I bought in the January window (as an 18 year old, advanced forward) has been absolutely incredible for me. Averaging a goal per game, winning headers, providing assists. This has taught me that jumping reach is critical for the AF, considering the tactic sends in plenty of crosses.
attachment.php

Leon Bailey, my starting Left Winger, won the Ballon D'or and world player of the year at just 22:
attachment.php

I bought Kai Havertz for the WP role, who also had a fantastic season, despite being a new purchase:
attachment.php

Finally, my support striker: Joao Felix. In addition to goals and assists, he also provided several key passes, and several pre-assists, and was generally key to my system:
attachment.php

Summary and Takeaways:

Overall, considering my youth policy, and the fact that 90% of my squad hasn't reached their potential yet, I was honestly not expecting to win the champions league. While I only beat Liverpool on away goals, I beat them 11-1 in terms of clear cut chances, so it shouldn't have been this close. If I can keep this team together, they are only going to get exponentially better over the next 2-3 years. I also have some very exciting 15-17 year olds in the youth ranks.

1. Make sure the Advanced forward is tall, can head, and is on the same foot as his side (a large amount of goals were scored using through balls and first time shots) - so, right slot, right footed.
2. Support striker - should be creative, should be able to score, should also be right footed (just works better, from a large sample size). For mirror tactic, both AF and support striker should be left footed).
2. CMs - I've noticed for a 2 man midfield, in addition to work rate (which is critical), and a well rounded skill set, jumping is also very useful, as it helps you win those aerial duels and prevents the ball from reaching the defensive line.
3. Even "average" players (Piatek, Suso) who have a CA of 150-155 performed well in this tactic, so I think for any EL level team or higher it should work. IMO it should work in lower levels as well, but it's critical to have the right players for each role
4. Pay meticulous attention to the player characteristics in each role. I think it makes a massive difference, for any tactic. For this tactic, since I had a clear idea in my head about what I want from each player, I was able to mould my team perfectly to my needs. In certain situations where I didn't, but had a high potential player (J.Felix), I tweaked the role to better suit him without compromising the tactic.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful and gives you more confidence to try the tactic. In addition to being selected as the league overachieving team in season 1, I also won the CL with such a young team, far away from their potential, in season 2.

PS - This isn't meant to be a brag post, but rather one to shed more light into this tactic, and encourage people to use it. I personally feel it is a wonderful tactic, and adheres to a lot of football fundamentals about utilization of space, runners vs. creators, defensive balance, and a coherent tactical philosophy.

Ancelotti's Napoli actually use a similar interpretation of the 4-4-2. This video explains a bit more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7dsTxuMCk4

Hi,

I'm trying your tactic and so far this are the results:

View attachment 1209700

As you see, i have some good results. But i feel that the team have some difficulties do create goal oportunities. It's strange because i'v won Manchester United 3-0, Barcelona 4-0 and i've turned a game against Bayern Muniche with 3-2.

I'm winning with too much difficulty than i would expect when i see the stats in each game.

It's worst in away game.

This is my team

Do you have any advice?

View attachment 1209703

Thank you for trying out the tactic and posting results. Also, excellent choice in selecting Milan, the greatest club there ever has been or will be.

In terms of advice:

1. Honestly, for how early it is in the season, and the squad you have, the results are pretty good. Draw to Napoli away is a good result, and losing to Arsenal away isn't that bad. At this stage, especially since it is so early in the season, I wouldn't worry about the results, in fact I think they have been good so far.
2. Both Suso and Paqueta are not fully familiar with their positions yet, which is going to impact their performance. For now, I would use Suso as the WP and Paqueta as a the CM support (start training him as a WP, you can use him towards the end of the season once he is more familiar).
3. Ideally you would have purchased a left winger, as I hate Samu. But for now, I would use Samu in that position. IMO your #1 priority with Milan using this tactic is a left winger and support striker
4. The 2 CMs need to be mobile and athletic. Biglia is too slow to play in a 2 man midfield, I would look to use Kessie/Bakayoko/Paqueta. Try to bring in another athletic well-rounded CM in the transfer window
5. Switch Caldara and Romagnoli (Roma is left footed). This will help with your build up play

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. As your team cohesion increases and players play in their preferred, familiar roles (as outlined above) your results will continue to improve. Keep in mind that with the current Milan team, quite a lot of work is needed on the transfer market to get the tactic performing well.