was going well with this tactic, but just got destroyed 6-2 at home by nani and man utd. im the villa... my full backs even though quick just lost them every time........

was going well with this tactic, but just got destroyed 6-2 at home by nani and man utd. im the villa... my full backs even though quick just lost them every time........

yeah, that happened to me too! thats exactly what i'm trying to fix with v2. but it only happens against stronger opposition, othersiwe, home and away it works great. so, i believe that the answer has to be developing a second tatic to work in tandem with the first one, to use aganst stronger opposition. tried a few things during my lunch hour but had mixed results and havent really managed to pin point why the defense gets overrun in these specific situations. back to work now, so will only get back on it later tonight!

does anyone have a any suggestions?

This tactic has worked extremley well in League One, I've tried a lot of tactics on here and some has started out well but this has been consistently good at getting results against much better opposition. I'm York, first season after promotion and sitting 2nd 3 quarters of the way into the season.

awesome! what have you found to be the weaknesses and strengths of the tactic thus far?

Have lurked here for a while but registered to say that I'm loving this tactic. I'd been messing around with a 4-2-3-1 for some time so already had the players but as soon as I slotted those players in to this tactic the results have been staggering both at home and away.

What I really love about this tactic is its flexibility. The roles you've set allow for squad rotation without having to worry too much about role strength. Switching between control and counter feels like it really works with this tactic. I can't quite put my finger on why but fitness is so much better with this tactic. Players that were "looking exhausted" by 70 minutes are now finishing the game at about 70% fitness, which is handy because they need that extra energy to celebrate all the goals that get scored with this tactic! ;)

Looking forward to your version 2, although I'm finding the defence pretty strong already.

Top work -thanks for this tactic.

thanks mate! who are you playing with? and how have your results been against stronger opposition? i've found that sometimes against strong teams the back four are unable to stop players running with the ball from deep and get overrun withought being able to close down the player and either tackle him or reduce the space he has available to run into. have you experienced this?

i havent decided yet if im going to update the current tactic or develop a second one to work in tandem with the first one, because in most games it works very well, so i don really want to screw it up by over-tweaking it. making a second tactic to use in these specific game seems to be wiser. what do u think?

yeah, that happened to me too! thats exactly what i'm trying to fix with v2. but it only happens against stronger opposition, othersiwe, home and away it works great. so, i believe that the answer has to be developing a second tatic to work in tandem with the first one, to use aganst stronger opposition. tried a few things during my lunch hour but had mixed results and havent really managed to pin point why the defense gets overrun in these specific situations. back to work now, so will only get back on it later tonight!

does anyone have a any suggestions?

im going to keep tweaking myself, glad it wasnt just me and this me!

thanks mate! who are you playing with? and how have your results been against stronger opposition? i've found that sometimes against strong teams the back four are unable to stop players running with the ball from deep and get overrun withought being able to close down the player and either tackle him or reduce the space he has available to run into. have you experienced this?

i havent decided yet if im going to update the current tactic or develop a second one to work in tandem with the first one, because in most games it works very well, so i don really want to screw it up by over-tweaking it. making a second tactic to use in these specific game seems to be wiser. what do u think?

I'm in my 5th season with Forest, currently 4th in the Premier League. The tactic works well against stronger opposition but I do see my team's body language often being "frustrated" and I wonder whether this is on account of the "rigid" style and "control" strategy meaning that wing backs aren't getting forward. I've attached a screenshot that seems to show this. The heatmap on the left is from a 6-0 win against LOSC in the Euro Cup, the heatmap on the right is a narrow 1-0 away win against Man U. Both wing backs hardly got forward during the Man U game.

View attachment 283842

The only thing I'm really having trouble with at present is teams hitting me on the break with fast strikers but in fairness, you mentioned that in your OP. I don't think that man marking helps this.

It's a really tough call whether to do a separate tactic or not. I'd say no, because I think the tactic is good as it is but I really do think this tactic only works if you have the right types of players in the right places and a lot of people are really going to struggle to find the right player for the Trequartista role. Have you tried a different role here at all? Advanced Playmaker for instance?

Last edited:
I'm in my 5th season with Forest, currently 4th in the Premier League. The tactic works well against stronger opposition but I do see my team's body language often being "frustrated" and I wonder whether this is on account of the "rigid" style and "control" strategy meaning that wing backs aren't getting forward. I've attached a screenshot that seems to show this. The heatmap on the left is from a 6-0 win against LOSC in the Euro Cup, the heatmap on the right is a narrow 1-0 away win against Man U. Both wing backs hardly got forward during the Man U game.

View attachment 283842

The only thing I'm really having trouble with at present is teams hitting me on the break with fast strikers but in fairness, you mentioned that in your OP. I don't think that man marking helps this.

It's a really tough call whether to do a separate tactic or not. I'd say no, because I think the tactic is good as it is but I really do think this tactic only works if you have the right types of players in the right places and a lot of people are really going to struggle to find the right player for the Trequartista role. Have you tried a different role here at all? Advanced Playmaker for instance?

thank you for the feedback mate!

i see what you mean. i initially implemented the rigid style so that my wing-backs weren't caught out up the pitch too much on the break, and because i dont use an anchorman who is very helpfull defensively and in terms of transition in most tactics. i will try a balanced or fluid approach tonight and see how it works.

in theory, if you have a fluid strategy where most players attack and defend, implemented with a balanced and cohesive marking and closing down system, your team will never lose its shape and always move up and down the pitch as a "block". i've tried this, but havent found the right balance.

i must say that although i went for the rigid strategy to be more solid defensively, i've found that when the team attacks, only the two CB's are left behind to cover and hold potential counter-attacks until the WB's or CM's backtrack. Obviously the team concedes in some of these situations. Although it didnt replicate what i originally wanted it to in terms of the tactic, it seemed to work better than most things i tried, so i left it be.

I also agree with you in terms of the man marking. It is either very effective, rendering CB's to have 8.5 rating with 0 assists and 0 goals or completely hopeless, especially for full-backs who should be marking their wing man and end up marking the foward in the area, leaving the second post open for crosses. Most of the goals i conceed are through this sort of mistake or set pieces. If i manage to find the right balance in terms of closing down, i will definately be changng to zonal marking.

in terms of the trequartista role, no i havent tried anything different because it seemed to work quite well for me, but as i'm going to be playing around with the other notions of the tactic, i can try that out too.

have you tweaked anything in the tactic to better suit your team or have you left it as it is?

awesome! what have you found to be the weaknesses and strengths of the tactic thus far?

Well, as I have only been beaten by Wolves in the Cup (3-1) it's hard to tell, all those goals were different. I tried your suggested 'away against tougher opposition' ideas but nothing worked, I think they were just a better team.

I've left the tactic as it is because it's working too well at the moment for me to dare to change it. Literally just got "On a roll 20" achievement on Steam so daren't change anything just now :)

Well, as I have only been beaten by Wolves in the Cup (3-1) it's hard to tell, all those goals were different. I tried your suggested 'away against tougher opposition' ideas but nothing worked, I think they were just a better team.

wolves are unbeatable :p hehehe

I've left the tactic as it is because it's working too well at the moment for me to dare to change it. Literally just got "On a roll 20" achievement on Steam so daren't change anything just now :)

lol nice one!

i will play around with the strategy tonight and see if i can find space for improvement, if that doesnt work i'll try and develop a tactic specifically for playing against stronger opponents to marry with this one.

Tried this tactic with Austria away to Holland and won 7-2,seems to score a lot of goals without conceding to many.its working well with my Wolves side also,Good job!

just finished my season with wolves, came in second with 80 points, behind Man U by just 1 point. Won the EL, CO Cup and FA Cup though, and am unbeaten the last 39 games! so all in all very positive results.

the last 7 games were played with a tweaked tactic. im going to update the initial post with screenshots, the tweaked tactic and a bried explanation of the changes. try it out, there are quite a few changes to it, interested to know if you think its better than the initial tactic.

cheers!

First season done with Southampton - Finished 7th, 1 ****** point behind Villa to qualify for Europe league. Did a decent job I think I'm going to do a lot better considering the new signings I made were all real young.

just finished my season with wolves, came in second with 80 points, behind Man U by just 1 point. Won the EL, CO Cup and FA Cup though, and am unbeaten the last 39 games! so all in all very positive results.

the last 7 games were played with a tweaked tactic. im going to update the initial post with screenshots, the tweaked tactic and a bried explanation of the changes. try it out, there are quite a few changes to it, interested to know if you think its better than the initial tactic.

cheers!

did you test with version 13.1.3 ?

First season done with Southampton - Finished 7th, 1 ****** point behind Villa to qualify for Europe league. Did a decent job I think I'm going to do a lot better considering the new signings I made were all real young.

thats quite good for southampton first season! what were your impressions of the tactic, strengths, weaknesses? you used the first version yes?

did you test with version 13.1.3 ?

no mate! this is the first i hear of it! have mixed feelings lol very happy if it fixes some of the ME flaws, but frustrated it came out same day as my new tactic, hope it still works!!! im at work now, but gonna thoroughly test it when i get home and post results.

i'd really appreciate it if anyone that has tested any of the two tactics with the new patch could post some results or feedback!

thanks and happy gaming!

has anyone had a look at the Changelist for the new patch?