44 years of hurt - the resurrection of a nation

ben1250

Reaction score
Young football manager Ben Graham today woke up with a huge dilemma, become the manager of a nation that expects everything ?

Easy choice then eh, job accepted. Firstly, a friendly against Holland which started with a squad of players which included youth and experience.

Starters; Joe Hart, Leighton Baines, John Terry, Jack Rodwell, Glen Johnson, Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, Jermain Defoe and Emile Heskey.

The game was won 2-1 with good possession at times and limited Holland to long range efforts which Van Der Vaart sneaked in.

Two things have been decided relatively early into my stint as England manager Emile Heskey and David Beckham have played their last game's for the national team due to Graham wanting a fresh squad for the Slovenia game coming up.

Micheal Owen latest star to be left out by Graham !

''Micheal is a wonderful player but i just feel unjust in playing him when he isnt playing for his club on a regular basis, Micheal is a class act and could well force his way back into my plans in the future, he will not be overlooked if he gains form.''

This news will suprise many as Owen has scored 7 in 3 during pre season and could well be on his way into Manchester United's starting line up due to Wayne Rooneys injury. Gerrards injury has also made Graham's selection a difficult one with him being replaced by uncapped future star Jack Wilshere.

Little and Large flop in experimental squad by Graham

England football was cast into the shadows of their past today with a 0-0 bore-draw with lowly Slovenia. Graham started with Crouch and Defoe up front due to Rooney's untimely injury and fans have slated him for persisting with the pair throughout the game even though clear cut chances were limited.

Graham said afterwards ''We underperformed as a team and individually i take full responsibility for this poor result but the players must react, players like Terry can't be given the armband and not react.''

These strong words will hopefully hit hard with Terry and force the player to get back to his old form. Plus points Wilshere and Cahill performed well for England and didn't look out of place at the highest level and a return to the fray for Joe Cole who commanded the newly aquired role of attacking midfield which the Chelsea star apparently has wanted to play for years.

If bas Savage was playing the game would have been dead and burried by half tiime

Competative win for Graham at first attempt and qualification for World cup.

England manager Ben Graham will be rather pleased tonight with his teams performance at home to a tricky Croatia team who put up a gutsy effort. John Terry showed the nation why he is captain and put Graham's past worries to bed with a solid performance.

Defoe scored two blinding goals to give the one time world cup winners a 2-1 win which could have been improved apon had Steven Gerrard been fit enough to play more than the last 20 minutes which he dominated.

Graham's next task is a potential banana skin trip to Ukraine, with England sitting pretty at the top of the group even a bad result wouldnt be the end of the world for Graham but the momentum could be disrupted by a performance as bad as Slovenia recently.

Graham added ''When we set foot on that field we do so as a united team of men who are willing to sacrifice anything for our country and that's what was shown tonight, we weren't great but we were effective and our approach stifled the Croatian's and forced them to play a higher tempo than they wished, Defoe was blistering today his pace even frightened me and i was standing on the opposite touchline ''

England lose as Graham's enquiry for Savage is turned down.

The nation was let down last night but a poor English performance to a well organised Ukrainan outfit which being honest shown no sign of attacking flair except the glimses of magic from Milevskyi whose tall posture seemed to cause England all kinds of problems.

Meanwhile Graham has turned to a unlikely forward in Tranmere's Bas Savage who sadly due to cruciate ligament damage is unlikely to feature for a long period of time, this news somewhat frustrated Graham who wanted the clinical striker in his ranks for the up and coming Belarus international.

England have already clinched group 6 so Graham may once again tinker with his starting line up which has seen Leighton Baines take the mantle at left back and cast Ashley Cole from the starlight which has shined so brightly on him for many a year. Graham has spoken only briefly about Cole but mentioned a dip in club form and his off field behaviour deteriorating has forced him into a unwanted decision.

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

6-1 demolition as Graham gets England playing.

Graham has been claiming praise from all angles for changing his formation to suit playing lesser opposition namely, Belarus. This change in tactics gave England a fresh look with long legged striker Peter Crouch claiming 4 goals, whilst Rooney and Agbonlahor put in one each to seal the game and the group stage for England.

With the World Cup draw for africa taking place soon England fans will be hoping they can replicate the success of 66 which seen them defeat a Germany team which was very good. David Beckham has spoken recently of how he would like a inclusion and Graham wasnt certain on his opinion on this matter stating Beckham's aswel as Micheal Owen's club form has been very good of late so you never know, dropping players such as Defoe and Agbonlahor would be very difficult for me though as they have performed so well..

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Continental draw as Englands World Cup bid is strengthened.

There were mixed reactions today as Englands draw for the 2010 South African world cup was announced with fellow european giants Serbia being drawn alongside Graham's men in group E along with Africa powerhouse Ghana and South American's Paraguay who suprised in qualifying to finish ahead of Argentina.

Graham wasnt available for comment after the draw but Theo Walcott spoke briefly to Sky news ''We've all seen the draw and reacted in a positive manner, we all want to be on that plane and prove to Graham that we're worthy of inclusion i'm no exception i want to play and i want to win''.

The Premier League form of Defoe and Crouch has let to speculation Wayne Rooney may feature as a subtitute for Graham's World Cup team due to him picking players on form ahead of pure ability, another player Graham is said to be extremely pleased with is Gareth Barry whose 7 assists and average rating of 8.35 have really impressed many a football pundit.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

England in 5-1 blitzing of Egypt.

Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch once again showed Graham why there partnership is one worth keeping yesterday with a great show which ended with Defoe getting two goals, with Crouch getting two assists. Two goals from Frank Lampard from distance and a Joe Cole tap in finished the friendly off. England next have Mexico in a pre World Cup friendly which should be a tough ask of Graham's men.

The main question on everyone's lips is where will Wayne Rooney fit into this on form England team ?

Last edited: