avfctom

Reaction score
**BrownAnnounced As New Montpellier Manager**

View attachment 252913

Rene Girard has decided to leave Montpellier due to personal reasons. It is understood that the 58 year old thought it was time to take a break from the game and concentrate on his family.
Earlier today at 3pm, Montpellier held a press conference at Stade De La Mosson. Here they unveiled unknown manager Tom Brown as the new man to lead the team forward. This is the 35 year old's first venture into management, and he spoke about how he hopes to keep the job for the long run, and make Montpellier into a French force that can dominate Europe.
The fans seemed puzzled as to why the board of their beloved club decided to hire an unknown manager, but have vowed to back Brown from the stands as they get behind their team.

So lets
take a look at the signings Tom Brown made in his first transfer window.

Ins:
Steed Malbranque - Free.
Clement Grenier - Loan - Lyon

Outs:
Cyril Juenechamp - 230k - Panathinaikos
Geoffrey Dernis - Free - Bordeaux

I Feel this is good enough for a tight transfer window where i was given 0 funds and 0 extra wage budget. I tried to negotiate loan deals for Danny Welbeck and Oxlade-Chamberlain but they both did not want to come. Steed provides good cover right across the midfield, and on a free for only 8k a week, I thought why not. He also provides great experience for the young players. Clement provides cover for Belhanda, in case we get injury scares.

The Key players I will be looking to work together are Giroud and Ait-Fana. These are two very talented players, and I think they could easily lead us to glory.
Thanks for reading, I will update August as soon as i've played through :)

Decent start mate looking forward to the next update

August 2011

View attachment 252931

So im going to say that my first month in charge was largely successful! You will see from the match reports below who played key roles, and who maybe let the side down.

Ligue 1

Montpellier
6 - 0 AJ Auxerre
Oliveir Giroud x 3
Karim Ait Fana x 2
Sorin O.G
This was a fantastic start to the league campaign. It really goes to show what belief in the players can do. Giroud's goals were beautiful poachers goals, with 2 being set up by Ait Fana. I can already tell that Ait Fana is going to be a big player.

Lille
1 - 0 Montpellier
Radzionas
This result was majorly gutting. We played so well over the ninety minutes and were very unlucky to lose. We hit the woodwork and managed to injure Joe Cole and Eden Hazard. Never the less, we were expected to lose, so it wasnt too down hearting. We picked ourselves up and moved onto the next match.

Montpellier
1 - 0 Stade Rennais FC
Hilton
A great win in which we really battled for. Hilton managed to gain the lead from a corner, and then we sat back and took the win. Ait-Fana missed a peno in this game aswell, but hey-ho life goes on and he didn't get angrily dropped or anything!

Lyon
2 - 4 Montpellier
Younes Belhanda x 2
John Utaka x 2

Lisandro Lopez
Kaoutari OG

A massive win! I was so proud of the side after this win. We played smooth, fast flowing football on the counter attack and it really benefited us. We went 1-0 up, to be quickly pegged back at 1-1. We responded magnificently by going 4-1 up, before eventually conceding a consolation. Everyone really put a shift in, and makes you wonder what else could happen if we put our minds to it.

League Table

View attachment 252933

Coupe De La Ligue Third Round
FC Lorient 1 - 4 Montpellier
Olivier Giroud x 2
John Utaka x 2
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
A fantastic performance in a cup i wanted to get far in. Giroud scored two beautiful finishes, and Utaka scored a lovely half-volley of a blocked free-kick. We played out of our skins against a good FC Lorient side, i hope there is much more of this to come.

Player of the Month!

View attachment 252934
It has to go to Karim Ait-Fana. He has been unreal in the first month, getting 5 games, returning with 5 assists and 2 goals from the left wing. At the young age of 22, he looks set for a big future in a Montpellier shirt. Giroud was very close to claiming the illustrious prize, but his 5 in 5 was pipped to the post.

Next Months Update Coming Soon.

Last edited:
Nice start, playing as Montpellier myself atm, nearing the end of the first season.

What are your season expectations and what are you hoping to achieve?

I set my season expectations as mid-table for this season, as it was going to be 0 funds either way! But want i want to achieve is the league title, it's going to be a hard task but i think i can push for it!

Check out my story: The Rise of Mighty Montpellier!

I set my season expectations as mid-table for this season, as it was going to be 0 funds either way! But want i want to achieve is the league title, it's going to be a hard task but i think i can push for it!

You should win the title, and one of the Cups at least, imo.

I was able to win the League, Coupe de la Ligue, lost in French Cup semis to Lyon after they got a late penalty :(, and now in Champ. League Final against Man Utd after beating Chelsea 10-6 on agg. (1-6 win away, 5-4 loss at home). So I expect a lot :D

You should win the title, and one of the Cups at least, imo.

I was able to win the League, Coupe de la Ligue, lost in French Cup semis to Lyon after they got a late penalty :(, and now in Champ. League Final against Man Utd after beating Chelsea 10-6 on agg. (1-6 win away, 5-4 loss at home). So I expect a lot :D

Haha that is very impressive! And i will hope to impress you, thanks for following :)

September 2011

View attachment 252995

Another good month as we rise to top in the table, but get a tough draw at OM away in the cup, to be played next month.

Ligue 1

Montpellier
2 - 0 OGC Nice
Oliveir Giroud
John Utaka
A good win against a side who were actually above us in the league at kick off. It took us a while to break down the Nice rearguard as it became clear that they were playing for a point. But when we broke it down it was the impressive Giroud, then the in form Utaka quickly added a second to secure us the points.

Stade Brestois 29 0 - 5 Montpellier
Olivier Giroud x 2
Younes Belhanda x 2
Karim Ait-Fana
A brilliant result for the boys. Everyone put a top shift in and we came away with 5 goals. Giroud was very impressive again, he only had 2 chances and he converted them both! Belhanda managed to bag a brace from a midfield role, and Fana rounded off at the end. I hope all games can be as good as this one day!

AC Ajaccio 1- 4 Montpellier
Olivier Giroud x 2​
John Utaka
Karim Ait-Fana​
An absolutely brilliant victory. We have now scored 9 goals in 2 away games, and oh how it feels good. We played lovely free flowing football, as this kept us top of the table and set a new club record of 6 games unbeaten.
View attachment 252988

Montpellier 1 - 1 PSG
Karim Ait-Fana
Kevin Gamiero
A good draw in my opinion. These are oil-rich and have a very strong side. It extended our unbeaten record, and i was impressed. We defended well, but lacked upfront. Giroud didn't have his shooting boots on and Ait Fana was took off injured just after he scored. Hes out for 5-7 days.

League Table

View attachment 252990

Player of the Month!​

View attachment 252992
This has to go to Olivier Giroud! He netted 5 in 4 games over this month, and looks to be really enjoying playing upfront by himself. His goals have lead us to top of the table, and he hope he still has much more up his sleeve.

A few things to note are, John Utaka got goal of the month. Olivier Giroud and Karim Ait Fana finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in the player of the month of the month award.

Next Months Update Coming Soon.

October 2011

View attachment 253430

This was a fairly average month. I feel we grinded out results rather than won them convincingly. Losses to key players hurt us this month though, as you will find out...

Ligue 1

Bordeaux
0 - 4 Montpellier
Oliveir Giroud x 2
Karim Ait Fana
John Utaka

A really brilliant start the month. Giroud netting another 2 goals was really impressive and it was great to thrash a decent side.

Montpellier 4 - 0 Dijon
Olivier Giroud x 3
Karim Ait Fana

A proud moment for Giroud after netting a very nice hat-trick. He must be starting to attract some attention from abroad now, his scoring record is immense! We played utter class and upstaged a feisty Dijon side.

Stade Malherbe Caen 2 - 1 Montpellier
Marco Estrada
Romain Hamouma
Frederic Bulot

An absoloutely gutting defeat. To be fair to this team, they are second in the table and keep making sure I cant pull clear. Luckily at this game we were 6 points clear, so it was reduced to three. We werent allowed to play our passing football and it cost us. My worst game as Montpellier manager.

Montpellier 2 - 0 AS Nancy Lorraine
Mapou Yanga Mbiwa
Olivier Giroud

This game can only really be described as 'meh'. We didn't play very well at all, and as the saying goes one brought two. A fair result would have been a draw, as our late October woes went on.

League Table

View attachment 253438

Coupe De La Ligue Fourth Round

Marseilles 0 - 0p Montpellier
A good solid result here. Marseilles are a top french side, so we held out for the 120 minutes and snatched it on penalties, our goalkeeper being the true hero here.

View attachment 253440

Player of the Month!

View attachment 253441

After the cup game i cant award to anybody else but Geoffrey Jourdren. Playing 132 games for Montpellier at the young age of 25, he still has many years and more games to come. He kept 4 clean sheets in 5 games this month - impressive.

Next Months Update Coming Soon. Please Comment :)

November 2011

View attachment 253608

A rather short month as we only played three matches throughout. This was due to a very large international break, will it affect our players?

Ligue 1

AS Saint-Etienne 1 - 4 Montpellier
Souleymane Camara x 2
Clement Grenier
Gregory Lacombe
Max Gradel
A fantastic start to what is a very short month. We were missing key players such as Ait-Fana (Injured for 55 days) and Giroud who was banned. We also missed Belhanda in this game as he also served a suspension. It was lovely to see Clement Grenier score on his debut for the club, and Giroud's replacement for the game bagged 2. Another positive from this is that we actually went 1-0 down, but our heads did not drop, very pleasing from the boys.

Montpellier 0 - 0 OM
A pleasing result, but also a annoying result. It was pleasing as OM are second in the table, so we kept our 4 point lead, but annoying as OM were reduced to 10 men, and we were all over them for half an hour, but could not beat Mandanda.

FC Sochaux-Montbe 4 - 2 Montpellier
Miaga x 3
Olivier Giroud
Hilton
Ryad Boudebouz

A ******* abysmal result. I was tearing my hair out literally watching this. Absolutely shocking performance from everybody on the pitch. We went 3-0 down, then fought back to 3-2. A stupid and foolish backpass lead to the game being put to bed and me almost releasing my right back. We need to regroup and pull ourselves together if we are going to stand any chance in this league.

League Table

View attachment 253627

Player of the Month!

View attachment 253628

A hard decision. Not because there were many players that played well, simply because there was nobody consistent. But for his debut performance, at such a young age, its going to Clement Grenier. Only wish we had him permanently and not just for the season.

Next Months Update Coming Soon. Please Comment
smile.gif

December 2011

View attachment 253782
A cracking month for the side. We won every game in the league and did ourselves proud. We managed to lengthen our lead in the league, and really make ourselves look like we will hold on till the end of the season.

Ligue 1

Montpellier 2 - 0 FC Lorient
John Utaka
Bruno Ecuele Manga OG
Vincent Aboubakar
A nice performance. It looks like it's become routine for the boys to win at home now. FC Lorient took a long time to break down, but when we did we scored quickly, and could have got more. There was a storming 8.9 from Belhanda who deserved a goal.

Valenciennes FC 1 - 2 Montpellier
Remy Cabella
Olivier Giroud
A reasonable performance. Considering it was away from home it was more pleasing than aggravating. We found ourselves 1-0 up early on, only to be pegged back. But then that man Olivier Giroud popped up to score his 16 goal in the league, in just 16 league games!

Montpellier 3 - 0 Toulouse FC
Olivier Giroud
Joris Marveaux
Marco Estrada
A very pleasing win. It was nice to see goals coming from the 2 sitting midfielders, 2 screamers i must see. We retained our 2 point gap at the top of the table, and hope to extend it away at Evian next.
Also, Toulouse immediately sacked their manager after we beat them!

View attachment 253841

Evian TG FC 0 - 1 Montpellier
Clement Grenier
It was a stunning goal from Clement Grenier that gave us a smash and grab victory today. We had Belhanda sent off very early so i was forced to isolate Giroud upfront, and bring on Grenier to act as the play-maker. We are know 4 points clear going into the christmas break, where i have organised a friendly agaist Schalke of Germany, to keep fresh.

League Table

View attachment 253840

Friendly

Montpellier 0 - 0 Schalke 04

Player of the Month!
View attachment 253842
This going to the storming centre back of Mapou Yanga Mbiwa. He got a rating of at least 7.2 in each of the matches (rested in the friendly) and really made himself a leader, well done Mapou!

Next Months Update Coming Soon, Please Comment :)

January 2012

View attachment 253849

This was a good month for the lads, losing alot of players to international duty, we had players playing out of position and players playing when they would usually be bench warming! Never the less, we rallied around and got some key results.

French Cup Ninth Round

AS Valence 1 - 3 Montpellier
Stambouli
Clement Grenier x 2
Stambouli OG
A very nice victory. Guaranteed they are non-league but the centre back made up for his own goal, by netting one at the other end, then two beauties from Clement Grenier wrapped up the game. We advance onto the tenth round where we will play SR Colmar away.

Coupe De La League Quarter Final

Montpellier 3 - 1 AS Saint Etienne
Marco Estrada
Remy Cabella
Clement Grenier
Aubameyang
A very nice victory for the lads, this puts us through to the semi finals where we play AS Nancy Lorraine away. It was also nice to see Clement Grenier bag another goal, while Belhanda serves a suspension.

Ligue 1

Montpellier 1 - 1 Lyon
Lisandro Lopez
Yanga Mbiwa
An okay result i suppose. Lyon are a good side but are massively underachieving in this league sitting 11th at the time. We found ourselves 1-0 down and equalised late on into injury time to grab a point. Our lead is cut to three points with eighteen games to play.

OGC Nice 0 - 0 Montpellier
A bore draw, but the team in second lost, so we go four points clear, thats that.

French Cup 10th Round

SR Colmar 0 - 3 Montpellier
Yanga Mbiwa
Olivier Giroud x 2
A very nice win for the side away from home. It was nice to see Giroud get back on the scoresheet with a brace, and we advance to the eleventh round where we play Lyon away.

League Table

View attachment 253867

Player of the Month!

View attachment 253868
Clement Grenier takes his second player of the month award. I really hope i can bag this guy permanently in the summer as hes becoming a top player! He's scored 5 in 6 games this season, and his stats just keep going up! If only Belhanda wasn't so young and good, he would get a game every week. Well done Clement!

January in Short

• [*=left]​Karim Ait Fana wins African Young player of the year award.
    [*=left]Younes Belhanda third in African player of the year award.
    [*=left]John Utaka wins African midfielder of the year.
    [*=left]Napoli bid 17 million for Belhanda, rejected.
    [*=left]PSG sack Carlo Ancelotti.
    [*=left]Valancia bid 5 million for John Utaka, laughed off.

Next Month's Update Coming Soon, Please Comment :)

More great stuff buddy, keep it up :)

February 2012

View attachment 254103

A really good month for the side, we performed brilliantly and got some major scalps. A cup final to come and a side thats performing above expectations, what can go wrong?

Ligue 1

Montpellier 3 - 2 Stade Brestois 29
Younes Belhanda
Larsen Toure
Ahmed Kantari OG
Benoit Lesoimier
Karim Ait Fana
A top win considering we really had to fight for it. Stade Bresois came out fighting, and all credit to them they played brilliantly. It took a stunning goal from Karim Ait Fana in added time for us to win it, well done to the lads for not getting disheartened at them scoring to make it 2-2 on 82 mins.

Montpellier 2 - 0 AJ Ajaccio
Souleymane Camara
Younes Belhanda
I had to drop Giroud for this game as he was carrying a knock. He hasnt really been in the best of form anyway, so it was good for Camara to get game time. He payed me back by netting a goal. Belhanda scores once again aswell, in what was a very easy victory.

Paris Saint Germain 0 - 2 Montpellier
Souleymane Camara
Younes Belhanda
The exact same scorers score again in the league. This is a very good win for us, as it's always a tough trip to Paris regardless of where they are in the league. We came away from this win buzzing and raring for the next match. There really is belief amongst the camp now.

Montpellier 0 - 1 Girondins Bordeaux
Gregory Sertic
A gutting result. This was our defeat at home for 12 games, and we looked so solid here. Bordeaux came out and controlled the game, and coped with our quick counter attack easy. We bounced back to earth after a storming win at PSG. Our lead in the league is cut to 5 points.

Coupe De La Ligue Semi Final

AS Nancy Lorraine 0 - 2 Montpellier
Lemaitre OG
Clement Grenier
We've done it! We are through to a cup final! A top effort from the lads, and i can dust my suit down as we prepare for a final! So proud of the boys. We play Stade Rennais in the final, which is in a few months!

View attachment 254112

French Cup 11th Round

Lyon 1 - 2 Montpellier
Olivier Giroud
Hilton
Estrada OG
Another great result in the cup! We really did ourselves proud once again! We are through to the quarters where we play a non-league side away, so stand a brilliant chance of getting to the Semis!

View attachment 254113

League Table

View attachment 254107

Player of the Month!

View attachment 254108
It has to go to Younes Belhanda. He's put some top performances in over this month, and throughout the season. He is becoming a top top player and deserves all the plaudits coming his way.

Thanks for reading, please comment :)

March 2012

View attachment 254166

A good month for the lads. We won in the cup quarter final, and got a good draw in the semi-finals. We also got an immense regen that will be a future star! We also managed to increase our lead in the league... Just!

Ligue 1
Dijon 0 - 1 Montpellier
Olivier Giroud
A routine smash and grab win. Nice to see Giroud scoring again, and its 3 points closer to being champions.

Montpellier 2 - 2 Stade Malherbe Caen
Younes Belhanda
Gregory Lacombe
Frederic Bulot
Nicolas Seube

A really annoying game. It's like Caen come out wanting to injure our players, i had to make 3 changes all due to injuries, and it cost us as we let a 2 goal lead slip, annoying.

AS Nancy Lorraine 0 - 2 Montpellier
John Utaka x 2
Nice to John getting a few goals for the side again, he's struggled since he went away on international duty in January. As i said before, 3 points closer. This is all that matters now, we can do this!

Montpellier 1 - 1 AS Saint Etienne
John Utaka
Nicolita
Another frustrating game in the month. To be fair we did go 1-0 down, and scored right on half time. The whole second half was pumping their goal, but we couldnt break through. Luckily Lille below us lost, so our lead in the league increased to a very healthy 7 points

League Table
View attachment 254167

French Cup Quarter Final

Rodez Aveyron Football 1 - 4 Montpellier
Thibault Alet
Hilton
Karim Ait Fana
Olivier Giroud x 2
Yes, i fielded a full strength team here. One reason, we can win this cup. The only other strong side left in it is OM, and we managed to avoid them in the semi final draw, getting a team who are in Ligue 2, and its at home, putting us major favourites to make a second cup final.
View attachment 254174

The Youth Intake!
We only really had one decent player come through, and boy he is decent. Check him out, he is touted by my assistant to be the best of his generation, and has a really bright future ahead of him. Really looking forward to see how this lad develops! What do you think?

View attachment 254169

Player of the Month!

View attachment 254173

It has to go to John Utaka. Very well played, considering this guy used to play for Portsmouth, he's done extremely well in France.

So with 7 games next month, including a cup final, a cup semi final and a trip to OM, you can be sure its going to be a cracker! Thanks for reading, let me know if you are following and how you think im doing, thanks guys! :)

Good storie, your storie make me want to start a game with montpellier. so KIU

April 2012

View attachment 254233

So, a month in which we had key league games, and two cup finals, does the picture tell a lie, or did we really do well? Oh, and could we secure Champions League football next season!? Find out below!

Ligue 1

Montpellier 4 - 1 FC Sochaux Montbe
Olivier Giroud x 3
Marco Estrada
Privat
A cracking start to a long month! Nice to see Giroud net another hat-trick as interest in him starts to intensify.

FC Lorient 2 - 4 Montpellier
Garry Bocaly
Romain Pitau
Olivier Giroud
John Utaka
Emeghara x 2
A very nice victory away at a good side, were looking good for the title now, everyone is playing with so much confidence!

Montpellier 2 - 0 Valenciennes
Younes Belhanda
Olivier Giroud
Another routine win for the boys, were going really well in the league now, and people are starting to give up hope on catching us up, Giroud bagging yet another goal here.

Toulouse FC 1 - 1 Montpellier
Karim Ait Fana
Paulo Machado
2 points dropped here. Annoying as we took an early lead, but were then reduced to ten men, we tried to hold out but couldnt. Trust our slip up to come in our derby too! This game giving OM (who are 2nd) a chance to gain on us..

OM 2 - 0 Montpellier
Kabore
Loic Remy

A poor result, but this league match was just after we played them in the cup final, so i can forgive my players. They were tired but i thought they needed to play to at least try and get the result, try they did, and fail. Never-the-less we still have an 8 point lead with 4 games to play.

League Table

View attachment 254243

French Cup Semi Final
Montpellier 4 - 0 Angers
Younes Belhanda
Karim Ait Fana
Oliver Giroud x 2
We did it! We made it to our 2nd final in the season! We played well as the favourites and marched on again! How will we do against OM in the final?! Giroud, Giroud, Giroud is on fire!

Coupe De La League Final
Montpellier 0 - 1 Stade Rennais
Kembo-Ekoko
A gutting result. It kills me to say this but i got my tactics wrong. I went out playing the counter, when i shouldve gone to control considering i was the form i was in. But it just didnt work, we played better in the second half, when we were on control, but couldnt break them down, gutting.
View attachment 254240

French Cup Final
Montpellier 1 - 0 OM - AET
Olivier Giroud
We did it! We won a cup! We played the counter attack again and we pulled it off! It took us longer than 90 minutes but Giroud scored from the spot! A magnificent achievement, especially against OM! Love it!
View attachment 254241

Player of the Month!

View attachment 254242
It has to go to Oliver Giroud! 8 goals in 7 games this month (missed 1 due to a suspension) and really impressed! From hat-tricks to braces, it was his goal that won us the cup. Hope we can hold onto this lad as he is something really special!

So, what do you think? I won 1 out of the 2 cup finals, and secured Champs League football next year, do you think I can go on and win the league? I would love to hear some feedback! Thanks for reading guys!