allezdae

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a complete newbie in terms of posting, but I've spent many months reading your stories and I really enjoy following them, it really enhances the joys of playing FM. Anyway, I've started a story of my own, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy your work. I'll update it as often as I can.

AC_Ajaccio.png

Ajacci-who?

The footballing world was in typically ebullient mood last night, as fans across Europe get ready for pre-season. The news everybody’s (not) talking about comes from the French island of Corsica, where Ligue 2 outfit AC Ajaccio confirmed that they had replaced their relatively unknown coach, Olivier Pantaloni, with the completely unknown young Englishman, David Pickup.

In an interview on local radio, club president Alain Orsoni described his decision as “radical, controversial, and hopefully not ruinous”. The president had apparently become disillusioned with the stagnation of the last few seasons in the second tier of French football, and for reasons which will probably forever remain unclear, sought to turn things around with the appointment of Pickup, who is best known for once playing 20 minutes on the left wing in a West Cheshire League reserves match.

attachment.php

Pickup outlines plans for Ajaccio revolution

In a whirlwind 24 hours, rookie manager David Pickup has swapped the north of England for the beautiful surroundings of Stade François Coty in Ajaccio, the capital of Corsica. In his first interview since taking the reins of AC Ajaccio, Pickup explained his vision for the perennial strugglers.

“I want us to be back up with the big boys in Ligue 1. We are a proud club, representing a proud city and a fiercely passionate island. Scraping across the survival line in Ligue 2 just isn’t good enough. My contract here is for two years, initially: by the end of that time, I want promotion.

With the somewhat parlous state of the club’s finances, this may prove tricky, despite Pickup’s optimism. However, Ajaccio has never been anything but surprising since its formation in 1910, and who knows, this might be the start of something incredible for L’Ours.
Pickup is certainly wasting no time in getting the fans on his side. In a thinly-veiled barb at hated local rivals and fellow Ligue 2 side SC Bastia, Pickup ended his comments by referencing the great Bill Shankly:

This island has two great teams – AC Ajaccio, and Ajaccio reserves!

The island has two great teams Ajaccio and Ajaccio reserves - sounds abit like the scouse region of the country, Tranmere and Tranmere reserves ;)

Thanks, have just done pre-season so will post that along with confirmation of the transfer goings-on shortly.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

L’Ours come through pre-season in adequate fashion

New Ajaccio boss David Pickup believes that the players are well prepared and ready to fight after a pre-season which Pickup admits was more about learning the ropes than setting the world alight.

8 July 2009 – Stade François Coty, Ajaccio

AC Ajaccio 1
Viale (52)

L’Olympique Marseilles 1
Ayew (83)

Pickup goes with 4-4-2 against the French giants and comes away with a highly satisfactory draw. Viale’s curled shot delighted the crowd, while talented youngster Ayew justified the interest from Real Madrid with a timely equaliser seven minutes from time.

10 July 2009 – Breite, Shaffhausen
Shaffhausen 0

AC Ajaccio 1
Medjani (17)

Routine victory against resilient Swiss opposition, with former Liverpool trainee and new Ajaccio captain Medjani snatching the deciding goal.

14 July 2009 – Stade Charlety, Paris

Paris FC 1
Lorthioir (51)

AC Ajaccio 2
Al-Hoseni (17)
Moimbe (83)

Stiff test for L’Ours, Paris FC controlled large parts of the game and should have added to their solitary goal.

19 July 2009, Carl-Benz-Stadion, Mannheim

SVW Mannheim 1
Reule (2)

AC Ajaccio 3
Dohin (17)
Riviere (49)
Viale (61)

Ajaccio starting to put it into the back of the net with more certainty.
21 July 2009 – Stade de l’Ill, Mulhouse

FC Mulhouse 1
Bantiti (79)

AC Ajaccio 2
Andre (15)
Toure (67)

Another good run-out, with Pickup varying the formation to 4-2-3-1 in the second half.

24 July 2009 – Stade Communal (Bas-Pres), Namur
UR Namur 0

AC Ajaccio 3
Riviere (10, 29)
Toure (51)

The Belgian opposition looked extremely limited, and Ajaccio’s forwards were able to run riot.

francoiscoty2.jpg

In a press conference at Stade Francois Coty, Pickup gave his thoughts on how pre-season had gone:

Pickup told ac-ajaccio.com:

“We’ve come through pre-season unbeaten, which is always a pleasing sign. However, this is no guarantee of league success and we’ve got to make sure that we keep working hard throughout the season."

[FONT=&quot]Asked about the team’s performances, Pickup said he had enjoyed some of the team’s attacking combinations:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“At times we scored some really good goals, and we were using the ball brilliantly in the final third.”[/FONT]​

Pickup struck a warning note, however:

[FONT=&quot]“I do have concerns about our defence. Too often, we were caught out of position and conceded some really soft goals. With the exception of Marseilles, all of the teams we played were of a lower standard than the teams in Ligue 2 – we’ve got to cut out the errors at the back, or it will be an uphill struggle."[/FONT]​

Transfer news to follow...

attachment.php

Transfer window closes!
Clubs across Europe splash their cash

The big deals this window:

Chelsea have been very busy, bringing in Luis Suarez from Ajax for £22m, Deportivo La Coruna's left-back Felipe for £12m and landing Landon Donovan for £11.5m from LA Galaxy.

Elsewhere, Manchester City paid a hefty £19.5m for pacy Serbian winger Milos Krasic from CSKA Moscow; city rivals Manchester United brought in Aleksandr Kolarov for £9.5m and Fernando Gago for a good-value £5.75m after the Argentine midfielder was deemed surplus to requirements at Real Madrid.

Birmingham City provided deadline-day drama with the purchase of Moussa Dembele, the former AZ Alkmaar paceman moving to St. Andrews for £11.25m.

attachment.php

For those of you interested in unfashionable second division French football:

AC_Ajaccio.png

AC Ajaccio strengthen for 2009/10

Pickup brings in new faces at Stade Francois Coty

Cash-strapped AC Ajaccio gave manager David Pickup a transfer budget of precisely £0, not ideal for a squad with several holes to patch.

Pickup has still managed to find five players who fitted the bill on Free Transfers, however:

Togolese centre-forward Kader Toure, whose phenomenal goal-scoring record proved irresistable

Guinean international full back Ibrahima Sory-Conte was brought in to bolster the back line

Former Nantes and Grenoble midfielder Milos Dimitrijevic provides a classy addition to the centre midfield

Imad Al-Hoseni, an Omani striker with a good record at international level gives another option to the strikeforce

Ex-Blackburn Rovers, Inter Milan and Bayer Leverkeusen left-back Vratislav Gresko gives Ajaccio boss a small transfer coup and completes the line-up at Stade Francois Coty

With unwanted Ivorian striker Georges Ba on his way to Vicenza for an inflated £65,000 price tag, and right-winger Elie Dohin sold to Celta, also for £65k, Pickup has brought some welcome capital into the coffers in southern Corsica.

Next up, hopefully posted tomorrow evening:

A short season preview and a review of the months of August and September

If you have any comments on how I can improve this story, please feel free to contribute...

Last edited:
i like the layout mate, looking good so far and good result against Marseilles

AC Ajaccio Season Preview 2009/2010

An extract culled from today's Ligue 2 special issue of L'Equipe:

l%20equipe.jpg

31 July 2009
DISASTER HASTENED OR AVERTED?
AC_Ajaccio.png

Does Unknown Englishman Know What He's Doing?

Club: AC Ajaccio
Founded: 1910
Stadium: Stade Francois Coty (12,000)
Manager: David Pickup
Prediction: 17th

Football can be a strange place almost every day of the year, but handing over control of a club that seems to be always on the brink of relegation to a completely unproven rookie has to rank as one of the most baffling decisions of modern times.

Thousands of Corsicans will be praying that the appointment of David Pickup is the radical step needed to spur the moribund AC Ajaccio club onto unforeseen heights (alongside the thousands of Bastia fans who will be praying for the exact opposite).

L'Equipe's verdict? 17th - Pickup will keep Ajaccio alive in Ligue 2, but by the smallest possible margin, and largely because in Nimes, Istres, and Arles Avignon there are three teams who the media predict to be even worse.
Players to Watch

Thierry Debes - Unflappable 'keeper may be kept busy
attachment.php

Carl Medjani - Defensive rock, needs to become on-pitch leader
attachment.php

Ludovic Guerriero - Midfield dynamo: but will he stick around?
attachment.php

Kevin Diaz - On-loan winger provides width and flair
attachment.php

Benjamin Andre - Promising youngster ripe for development
attachment.php

Julien Viale - If he scores regularly, Ajaccio stay in Ligue 2
attachment.php

Next updates: August & September 2009

Great story.

I love it. :D

August 2009

attachment.php

ISTRES OF EDEN
Fc_istres_q_p.png

FC ISTRES OUEST PROVENCE 2
Saifi (32 )
Santos (56)
Dielna sent off (53)

AC AJACCIO 0

Coupe de la Ligue first round, 1 August 2009

The optimism of Ajaccio's unbeaten pre-season was cast off at the first time of asking as David Pickup's inaugural competitive fixture at the helm of AC Ajaccio resulted in an embarrasing defeat to 10-man Ligue 2 relegation rivals FC Istres OP.

Veteran Algerian winger Rafik Saifi opened the scoring on 32 mins. Istres kept possession well until the game's major flashpoint, the sending off of Claude Dielna on 53 mins. Rather than inspiring Ajaccio to get back in the game, however, this almost immediately precipitated an outstanding solo goal from Tunisia's naturalised Brazilian forward Santos, making his debut.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
attachment.php

FRANCE > LIGUE 2 > AC AJACCIO > RESULTS

4 August 2009, Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio

AC Ajaccio 1
Diaz (20)

Angers SCO 1
Diers (66)

Pickup responds to cup defeat by changing to an asymetrical 4-2-3-1, looking to add penetration to his stoic midfield. The draw was a fair result, while Diaz's debut goal from a free-kick pleased the crowd.

attachment.php

7 August 2009, Stade Jules Deschaseaux, Le Havre

Havre AC 2
Police (45+1)
Nikezic (90+1)

AC Ajaccio 1
Guerriero (38)

The 4-3-2-1 gets another outing, although with Imad Al-Hoseni spearheading the attack. The result is heartbreak for L'Ours, who opened the scoring through Guerriero's lovely solo effort, as two stoppage-time goals in both halves consign them to defeat.

17 August 2009, Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio

AC Ajaccio 0

En Avant De Guingamp 1
Diallo (81)

The formation is back to 4-4-2, but Togolese international debutant Toure and strike partner Al-Hosnei fail to gel, and in Viale's absence through injury L'Ours look hugely ordinary in front of goal. Diallo breaks a rather stale deadlock 9 minutes from time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php

Match report from Stade Michel d'Ornano, Caen
21 August 2009

SMCaen.png

Stade Malherbe de Caen 2
Langli (7)
El Arabi (90+4)

AC Ajaccio 0

France has not yet banned video nasties. Not according to armchair witnesses of tonight's match-up between Ligue 2 heavyweights Stade Malherbe de Caen and Corse-du-Sud's perennial minnows AC Ajaccio, the first televised fixture of David Pickup's reign.

L'Ours were comprehensively outplayed by Caen. Granted, they are one of the favourites to gain promotion, but they never looked like losing the ball, let alone the match. The few chances Ajaccio had were wasted by Riviere, the lone forward in Pickup's wretched 4-3-2-1 system. Pickup is now without a win in five games, and the wisdom of his appointment must surely be called into question.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php

Embattled English boss finally grabs win

28 August 2009, Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio

AC Ajaccio 3
Toure ( 6)
Viale (45+2)
Andre (90+1)

La Berrichone 0

David Pickup returned to 4-4-2 and the floodgates opened for AC Ajaccio in tonight's Ligue 2 encounter with another side tipped to endure a season of struggle, La Berrichone. Togolese striker Toure took control of the ball in the box superbly to slot home his first for the club inside the first ten minutes, while the contribution of fit-again Julien Viale, whose goal thundered in just before the break, shows his value to the team. By the time 18-year-old playmaker Andre drove in a third, the game was over as a contest and Pickup's season looked like it had finally begun.

I forgot to take a screen shot of the league table at the end of August...

But we had 4 points from 5 matches...

So we weren't exactly getting nosebleeds at the top...

Next update: September review

Last edited:
September 2009 Update

I'm going to do September in roughly the same style as August if that's alright; rest assured, though, I have something a bit more special planned for October...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
attachment.php

FRANCE > LIGUE 2 > AC AJACCIO > RESULTS

METZ-CEPTIONAL!
PROMOTION CHASERS LEFT DIAZ-ED AND CONFUSED

AC_Ajaccio.png

11 September 2009, Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio

AC Ajaccio 3
Toure (29)
Viale (41)
Diaz (65)

FC Metz 2
Martini (pen 45+1)
Omotoyossi (59)

A fine advertisement for football in France's second tier was played out in front of 2565 enthralled spectators on a warm but drizzly evening in Corse-du-Sud.

Overwhelming favourites Metz, with their long Ligue 1 pedigree, started the brighter, testing goalkeeper Debes early on. It was Ajaccio's Togolese international forward Kader Toure who opened the scoring, however, leading to a period of dominance for L'Ours that culminated in a well-taken second from talismanic frontman Viale on 41 mins.

Disaster struck before half time, though, as the illustrious visitors were awarded a penalty thanks to Ajaccio captain Carl Medjani's clumsy challenge on Omotoyossi. Martini stepped up to convert and halve the deficit before the interval.

FC_Metz.png

The evening got even worse for Medjani, as he was at fault for Omotoyossi's equaliser on 59 mins, the tricky Beninian paceman catching the former Liverpool man completely off-guard as he exploded into the penalty area and fired goalwards.

At 2-2, things looked bleak for Ajaccio. The momentum was with FC Metz and they pushed on for another.

A goal was to come, but at the other end: Milos Dimitrijevic, a recent addition to the midfield staff, provided the assist as Diaz smashed home what was to prove the decisive goal from 25 yards. From this point onwards, the Serb's assured touches and killer passing instinct took control of the game and saw L'Ours home for a famous victory.

attachment.php

Victorious boss David Pickup spoke to the media outside the stadium:

"I am so proud of the lads. After the start we had to the season, we deserved a break and this win means all the more to me coming on the back of such a brilliant game of football. I don't want to get too carried away, though, it's only our second win so far and we've got to prepare now for Avignon and what could be a six-pointer in relegation terms."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
attachment.php

logo_ligue_2.png

LIGUE 2 ROUND-UP: SEPTEMBER '09

18 September 2009, Parc des Sports, Avignon

AC Arles Avignon 0

AC Ajaccio 0
Gregori sent off (45)

A tight first half turned into a second half of utterly forgetful football, as Ajaccio responded to the loss of anchorman Gregori by taking off striker Viale and retreat into a containment strategy. A 0-0 draw is an outcome that helps nobody in the fight to avoid relegation, though, and this goes down as a missed opportunity for both sides.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFENCE GOES MISSING AS 10-MAN STRASBOURG SEE OFF AJACCIO
Rcstrasbourg.png

22 September 2009, Stade de la Meinau, Strasbourg

RC Strasbourg 2
Fauvergue (8, 83)
Fanchone sent off (43)

AC Ajaccio 0

A four-game unbeaten stretch came to an ignominious end as a rampant RC Strasbourg outplayed Ajaccio from start to finish. Even after losing full-back Fanchone, Le Racing had the quality to put the L'Ours defence to the sword, with centre-forward Fauvergue impressing with two well-taken goals. Although playing as the lone striker throughout the second half, Ajaccio's woeful defending gave him ample opportunity to express himself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report: AN-AC-AJACCIO-FANSITE

baliston-02-03-ac-ajaccio-home-shirt.gif

CAPTAIN CARL MAKES AMENDS

25 September 2009, Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio

AC Ajaccio 2
Riviere (62)
Medjani (89)
Fournier sent off (32)

Stade Lavallois 1
Lepecullier (50)

Calamitous captain Carl Medjani sensationally won back the love of L'Ours fans with a scrambled equaliser in a vital relegation battle with Stade Lavallois this evening.

The centre-half was first to reach the knock-down in a crowded penalty area after a corner, and turned the ball home with seconds remaining in the tie.

get.aspx

Highly-regarded defensive partner Fournier had not impressed visiting scouts - he is reported to be interesting Ligue 1 side RC Lens - by getting sent off for violent conduct after half an hour, and he will now miss a very important game indeed for AC Ajaccio.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 85322

After 9 games, AC Ajaccio are in 12th in Ligue 2 with 3 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses.

This season is all about survival and mid-table mediocrity, and if we can keep this sort of form, and maybe cut out a few of the defensive mishaps along the way, we might not get dragged into a relegation dogfight after all...

Next update - a very special match indeed...

Last edited:
Derby day preview

Well, the special game, as you might have guessed, is the first derby of the season, against Ajaccio's northerly and more successful (yes, yes, it is undeniable...) rivals, SC Bastia, alma mater of Essien and Alex Song in recent years.

Corsica Braced For Classico

It may not compare to Everton v Liverpool, Rangers v Celtic, Real Madrid v Barcelona or Boca Juniors v River Plate...

SC BASTIA
V
AC AJACCIO

Early season table-toppers SC Bastia look to continue their good run of form against hated rivals AC Ajaccio, who are experiencing a mixed, yet stable, start to the season under David Pickup.

We will crush Ajaccio. I mean, this situation with the new manager - it will not succeed. I don't employ a builder who has merely stood on a site for 20 mins. I don't employ a chef who can only boil eggs. This English boy has less football experience than my wife!
Bastia chief Faruk Hadzibegic is dimissive of Ajaccio and their rookie manager David Pickup

This is the island of Napoleon, who came from this city of Ajaccio and conquered Europe! Now, Europe for us here at AC may be stretching things a bit far, but when I look back on this match, I will still think of General Napoleon - because Bastia are going to get Blown-apart!
Pickup confuses the media with a tongue-in-cheek retort - apparently this works better in English than in Pickup's pidgin French...

Corsican Local News' verdict:
Bastia look very good at home, while Ajaccio look out of sorts on the road. At the Stade Armand Ceasari (Furiani) on Friday night, there looks like being only one winner, and they will be playing in the blue of SC Bastia.

Sc_bastia.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight's Teams

Next update - The Result...

I like stories involving the French leagues! Solid start, hopefully a decent result to come...

attachment.php

8513 FANS FILL BASTIA STADIUM FOR LOCAL GRUDGE MATCH
LePublic.jpg

AC Ajaccio supporters gave raucous encouragement to their team

Match Report

2 October 2009, Stade Armand Cesari (Furiani), Bastia

Sc_bastia.png

SC Bastia 1
Andre (38)

AC Ajaccio 0

AC_Ajaccio.png

Bastia deliver the goods, Andre's goal rounding off a superb move that left Medjani and N'Diaye in the Ajaccio defence floundering. Toure should have put L'Ours on level terms soon afterwards, but his touch let him down when it mattered most, and Viale wasted a half-chance in the second half. Diaz's wonderful run created a good chance, but the Bastia defence stood firm. Bastia hit the bar late on, but 1-0 will suit them happily against their island rivals.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
attachment.php

"We will learn from this" vows Pickup after derby defeat

AC Ajaccio manager hailed SC Bastia goalkeeper Magno Novaes as "phenomenal" after the keeper repelled successive efforts from mis-firing Ajaccio strike duo Viale and Toure, as well as stopping L'Ours' one clear-cut chance from winger Kevin Diaz.

They were better than us on the day. Over 90 mins, I couldn't really complain. Once again we've let ourselves down away from home and I'd even back Mr Hadzibegic's wife to get through our back line. Toure worked hard, so did Diaz and Dimitijevic, but ultimately we need to have a re-think about how we go about things as today we didn't look like the team I think we can be.
A forthright Ajaccio manager sums up his team's sobering display against the league leaders.
View attachment 85350

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to get through October, November and December in one go, so next update will be the mid-season break and preparations for the January sales...