JP Woody

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION:

Well after a good while since i made my original Clough tactics for FM09 ive decided to make some new ones for FM11. My original Clough tactics are probably my favorite of all the tactics i made but they were very marmite, you either loved them (which many did) or you hated them (which a few did). The main reason some didnt like them was you needed pacience to get your team used to them, but the rewards where worth it as they produced some blinding football.

The new Clough Tactics still remain true the the pretty football of the original but there are differences, not least as these are now made using the Wizard. If anything the new tactics are more true to the great mans real style of play. These are not wonder tactics mind, you wont win the Prem with Wigan in your first year or anything unrealisic like that, so noobs need not bother to download. You will have to put some work in yourself buying the right players, allowing your team to gel and being realistic with your expectations.

TESTING

Ive tested with 2 clubs on the 11.3 patch, Middlesbrough in the Championship and the Prem, and Man City mainly to see what would happen with a top club with top players. With Boro i won the Championship easily then done really well in the Prem having some great results too. With Man City i won the FA cup, Carling cup and UEFA cup as well as finishing runners up in the league, would of won it but for a poor start due to team not being cohesive and getting used to my tactics.

PLAYERS

Clough was always a believer in keeping it simple both on the pitch with tactics and off the pitch too when it came to buying players. He believed in building from the back and having a strong spine with pace on the wings.

GOALKEEPER:

In Cloughs eyes the most important player on the pitch. As Clough himself said "all good teams are built on clean sheets" and this is true. If you dont already have one make a quality GK your first signing. key attributes are Reflexes, Handling and One on ones obviously but Clough also liked his keepers to be excellent communicators.

FULL BACKS:

Your full backs should be good defensivly (marking, Tackling) but also have the stamina to support the attack when needed, good crossing stats is a bonus.

CENTRE BACKS:

Clough tended to like one big bruiser with strength and heading alonside a more pacy Des Walker type CB with good tackling and marking stats. Put the stronger better header an the right side.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS:

Same as Cloughs way, a more tenacious midfielder alongside a more gifted one. The defensive one should be strong with good tackling and the more advanced should be more creative with good passing.

WINGERS:

The main supply line for the forwards. Decent wingers will get a lot of assists and chip in with a healthy return of goals. Clough liked his wingers to be very quick and good dribblers above anything else.

STRIKERS:

These guys are the match winners, they will get plenty of chances and if they are decent will score plenty. The deeper foward should be stronger and more creative, like Teddy Sheringham only id have him quicker. The more advanced Poacher should be quick with good dribbling and a good finisher.

THINGS TO KNOW:

1. I USED NO OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS.

2. STANDARD PITCH SIZE.

3. ASSISTANT MANAGER GIVES MATCH PREP.

4. TEAMTALKS CAN BE GIVEN TO YOUR ASSISTANT IF HE HAS GOOD MOTIVATION, DETERMINATION AND MAN MANAGEMENT SKILLS.

5. ENJOY THE TACTIC AND BE REALISTIC. IF YOUR A NOOB LOOKING FOR QUICK INSTANT SUCCESS DO NOT DOWNLOAD, THESE AREN'T WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.

SCREENSHOTS

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Ah, excellent work JP! Looks like a superb tactic, and has worked well with you- I'm going to test this out in the BSP with Crawley sometime soon- Very good work.

and BTW the images are broken but I seen them on a previous thread you posted, but then was deleted? :$

O my a new JP tactic!, i did a small wee.

Il give this a test just started a brand new man utd save after a fresh install of my OS,i normaly swear by Raikan007`s for man utd saves,but il give this a fair run and post feedback as per usual, i take it the player roles are ok to mix and match, i have decent AMC`s and i dont want them wasting on the bench so i changed the left side MC to advanced playmaker spt,and i may play necid as a target man on the right hand side

The one thing i do like is the defensive line and positions, in almost every save i seem to concede from through balls onto pacey strikers simply because my def line is so far up the pitch .

Ive been a tad unlucky with my injuries so far im 4 games in switching to this tactic but i wont make any judgments untill at least 3/4 into season, thanks JP.

Great start for me with Crystal Palace. I come to many ccc and scores many goals. Zaha and Iversen plays amazing up front. Love this tactic, JP WOODY. Thanks for the tactic.
Here is my results so far:
View attachment 164793

Last edited:
JP

The wing play with this tactic is AMAZING!! I haven't seen winger play this well in a tactic in years!!!

Steve

Pleased

I have always noticed with your tactic that there is an excellent possesion in the match. So far with Vitesse I had 1 win 2 draws and 1 loss, but my team has a bad morale which I am trying to regain.

I am also in love of the 4-4-2 tactic, as it fits my team. I will post results after 10 league games. :)

Manchester united

Just started a Manchester United save, how should my starting line up look like?
Rooney Deep lying or poacher?

Berbatov Rooney
Giggs Fletcher Carrick Nani
Evra Vidic Ferdinand Rafael

VDS

Chicarito Rooney
Giggs Shcholes Fletcher Nani
Evra Vidic Ferdinand Rafael
VDS

I'm in my 4th season with Forest. Would be fitting to give these a try haha

My team now sadly has lost 3 in a row, lol. I don't blame the tactics, I blame my players. here are some results.
t9dr9x7.png
I am still planning to use it as I find it will be a good tactic when playing for a better team.

Always enjoyed your tactics. :)

Edit: However winning 4-3 against Feyenoord was such an epic score, that I screamed a bit too loud and had the neighbors on my door, lol.

Last edited:
Oh yeah babby, was wondering if you would make a clough tactic for FM11. Gonna give this bad baby a try wright away.

Going to try this soon not decided on team yet.

Always use your tactics was lucky to get your 4-2-3-1 before you took it off the sight and really liked it!