Almunia accuses Arsenal

CtPauley

ORVP
Reaction score
Manuel Almunia has accused some of his Arsenal team-mates of not giving their all in the UEFA Champions League exit at the hands of Barcelona.

Barcelona-v-Arsenal-Wojciech-Szczesny-Off-Man_2571458.jpg

The Gunners goalkeeper, who was introduced after just 19 minutes at Camp Nou after Wojciech Szczesny suffered a dislocated finger, produced a string of fine saves as the visitors' goal came under siege. Almunia was unable to prevent Arsene Wenger's men slipping to a 3-1 defeat and exiting the competition at the last-16 stage following a 4-3 aggregate reverse, with the hosts pressing home their advantage after Robin van Persie's red card in the 56th minute.

Now the Spaniard has risked the ire of his North London colleagues by suggesting that there were some Gunners on the field who were playing at less than 100 per cent, and he feels that with greater effort they could have sneaked through against the odds.

"Barcelona bossed us and in the second half we had players that were not running," he said.

"We only needed one goal and with a bit more effort we could have caused them damage at the end.

"Even at 3-1, we only needed one goal and, well, you can't understand how there can be players that were walking. We were tired.

"It seemed that everything was lost but you can score a goal at any moment. So the only explanation I have is that we were so tired and the players couldn't give any more.

"And down to 10 men, it was double the effort. We came up against a Barcelona side that are the best in the world."

Source:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6805051,00.html

I personally think it's harder to play against 10 men who aren't out, looking for the win. He is right in some cases but they did have a clear cut chance and Bendtner failed to take it, all from Wilshere's pure drive to carry on. Fabregas must have been feeling awful after the stunt he pulled. It's probably better that they put this behind them and push for other things.

Lol... You would of thought he would keep his opinions to himself.. he has been ***** most of the season and suddenly he plays well, and starts running his mouth

TBH, Messi's goal was his fault.

No not at all, Messi's goal was Fabregas's fault 100%

Arsenal were poor simple as that, if they went with Bendtner and or Chamakh upfront and lumped it long to him/them then i believe they might have won the tie.

Arsenal were poor simple as that, if they went with Bendtner and or Chamakh upfront and lumped it long to him/them then i believe they might have won the tie.

Lol Bendtner

We didn't look as if we wanted it, so Almunia is right, but with Szczesny out between 6 weeks and end of the season, it's not a good time to be giving grief to his team mates.

We didn't look as if we wanted it, so Almunia is right, but with Szczesny out between 6 weeks and end of the season, it's not a good time to be giving grief to his team mates.

Especially when they still have a chance for some silverware!

TBH, Messi's goal was his fault.

No it wasn't. There was absolutely nothing he could do about such an exceptional bit of skill.

If anyone's to blame, it's Cesc, yes. But Gael Clichy also plays him onside etc.

We really weren't that bad, though. We defended very well until the final 20 mins or so when we were exhausted & as much as I hate to rant on about it, we were looking good until RvP was sent off. You can say we didn't have a shot at goal or whatever you want, but we were never going to lump it long to Bendtner and or Chamakh. (Why would we even play them both?)

Inter didn't do it, Chelsea wouldn't do it, Arsenal were never going to do it. There's a difference between being defensive and being Stoke.

On topic and: Manuel, actually shut the **** up. Well done on making a couple of important saves in one game. Arsenal can be proud of themselves. To be beaten by one goal on aggregate against the "best team in the world" and the team everyone thought would absolutely hammer us 4-0 or something should shut up our critics, but of course now we have more than ever - including our players..

Sorry to bring this thread back up but i have just found this and Almunia has a massive point.

There have been 981 Champions League games since 2003-04 and Arsenal are the first of 1,962 sides not to manage a shot of any form in a match since then.

Sorry to bring this thread back up but i have just found this and Almunia has a massive point.

There have been 981 Champions League games since 2003-04 and Arsenal are the first of 1,962 sides not to manage a shot of any form in a match since then.

You really like numbers don't you :p

Well, he can say he's scored agaisnt Barca at the Nou Camp in the Champions League. Not too many others can say that...

Shola Ameobi can ;)

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Ouch, although they still managed to make a good chance late on, worth more than a few wasted shots in principle.

That's a pretty impressive/depressing stat. Nice one CJACKO.

True 'dat.

Good on Almunia for saying this. Thought he had a quite good game.

Doesn't really mean he has a point. Suggests we were outplayed, not that we didn't put in enough effort. Thought we played very well, but a team with two of our best players not at 100%, no real substitutions until about the 80th minute because of Szczesny's unfortunate injury and one of our players been sent off for not hearing the whistle certainly contributed to our being outplayed and more importantly, outscored.

You can sort of see what Almunia means, but to be honest it takes more than sheer belief to beat Arsenal.

Alot has been said, but the RVP sending off knocked any confidence from them.

He was decent, the rest (bar Wilshere) were *****