Argentina name provisional 30-man World Cup squad

vishal

Reaction score
BUENOS AIRES, May 11 (Reuters) - Argentina coach Diego Maradona named the following 30-man squad on Tuesday for the World Cup finals in South Africa. It will be cut to 23 by June 1.

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Diego Pozo (Colon)

Defenders: Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marseille), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarsfield), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan), Juan Insaurralde (Newell's Old Boys), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes de La Plata), Nicolas Burdisso (AS Roma), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle United), Ariel Garce (Colon)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle United), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Juan Sebastian Veron, Jose Sosa (both Estudiantes de La Plata), Javier Pastore (Palermo), Jesus Datolo (Olympiakos), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Sebastian Blanco (Lanus), Maxi Rodriguez (Liverpool)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Diego Milito (Inter Milan), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9073397

What a ****ing joke. Where is Cambiasso :mad:

No Cambiasso but Veron is in there??? Either Maradona is back on the drugs or he plays a very specific system like Dunga does for Brazil...

i dont get it where is cambiasso , zanetti and lisandro lopez... palermo is a handicapped player also veron is way way way past his time....

i dont get it where is cambiasso , zanetti and lisandro lopez... palermo is a handicapped player also veron is way way way past his time....

Lisandro wouldn't start anyway...with the 5 world class strikers currently XD

Zanneti is another great player missed out. So versatile :'(

Cambiasso, Zanetti are the big ones missing. I think Maradona never picked them. Maybe as he said "Suck my ****" only who are ready to do that will be in plane to South Africa.

That's a weak midfield compared to the other top teams. No Cambiasso or Lisandro? :O

Last edited:
Now I see why Cambiasso isn't in the Argentina squad on fifa.. ;)

But srsly, they could still **** on anyone with that strike force.. :D

i know lisandro wouldnt play but would be a more suitable choice over palermo dont you think... plus i think its cause zanetti said before "the only way to stop messi is to have him coached by maradona" thats why he wont get picked:D looool

He said his reason for omitting Cambiasso was that “he’s a left footed defensive central midfielder and we don’t really need such a player for my team. His play does not seduce me”

He said his reason for omitting Cambiasso was that “he’s a left footed defensive central midfielder and we don’t really need such a player for my team. His play does not seduce me”
Hahahahahahahaha.

No seriously...

In my opinion, he is biased towards people playing in Argentine league.

Maradonna is a moron, I'm amazed they even qualified, I thought Veron retired XD

Apart from Demichelis that is a weak, weak defence.. I can see them getting knocked out in the group stages.

I agree with Andy, unless Maradona is going to surprise us with some epic system where he can use that immense strike force.

i think he chose palermo tho for his qualifying goal that got them in the world cup but shouldnt ever never let him play again and there are rumors lavezzi and diego milito wont make the final 23:S also to be honest i have no idea wat so ever about the players from the argentinian league...