Awakening a fallen European club - a guide to managing Hajduk Split FM13

shadowsc2

Reaction score
(How more they try to break it, that makes me love it more)
View attachment 298050

Name: HNK Hajduk Split s.d.d.
Nicknames: Bili, Majstori s Mora
Founded: 1911
Stadium: Poljud - 34448 all-seater, only 1st class stadium from southeast of Europe
League: Croatian 1. National League(1.HNL)
Last League Finish: 2nd
Rivals: Dinamo(Historic, Eternal Derby), Crvena Zvezda(Historic), Partizan(Historic), several league rivalries
Facilities: Training - average
Youth - good

Board expecations

As Hajduk is in much more debt in FM than in real life(they have an almost 9 mil. euros of a loan to return in a year and 7 more in 5 years instead of just 4 mil.) no matter what you choose from qualifiying to Europa League, being title contenders or to win the title, unless you wish to be years in debt, you must somehow win the league 1st season and qualify for Champions League, thereby eradicating your debt and putting the club on solid grounds. At max. you can get 100k euros and little money for wages. The board also expects you to play both attacking football and using young players in squad, the later easily achieved, while the first depends on you. Let's start by having a look at squad.

Squad

View attachment 298055

Goalkeepers

Goran Blažević, Lovre Kalinić, Pavao Vugdelija

Goran Blažević is your no.1. Nether Kalinić nor Vugdelija have in FM the potential to replace him betwen the posts, but you don't have the money or need to replace him unless he gets a really serious injury.

Defenders

Goran Jozinović(LB), Danijel Stojanović(all from LB to AML), Goran Milović(CB), Mario Maloča(CB), Matej Jonjić(CB), Josip Elez(CB), Avdija Vršajević(RB)

The defending part of the team is good enough for the league, especially Maloča and Milović, but it's lacking in quality fullbacks, with Stojanović who is barely a decent substitution and Vršajević not adequately represented in the game(plus no replacements), your first priority in the transfer market is a fullback.

Midfielders

Mijo Caktaš(ML/AML, MC/AMC), Krešo Ljubičić(ML, MC), Franko Andrijašević(MC), Josip Radošević(DMC, MC), Antonio Milić(DC, DMC, MC), Mirko Oremuš(all from DR to AMR), Ivo Tomas(MR, AMR, ST), Jure Obšivač(DMC, MC), youngsters

Hajduk's midfield doesn't seem like very much, but aside from Ljubičić, Obšivač and Luštica, it's bursting with potential and you should find a way to play everyone. Depending on the tactics and formation you use, you might still want to get someone cheap on free transfer.

Strikers

Ivan Vuković(AML/C, ST), Anton Maglica(ST), Tomislav Kiš(ST), Ivan Džoni(ST, under19)

Again, depending on your formation, you may need to buy/sell someone, but generally the attack is good enough at least for the league for now.

Youth Team

Most of your youth team is filled with talents or players with potential to play at least in the First League, giving you enough players(if properly developed) if you have only average results. However, I have to stick out three names:

Josip Radošević - already in first team, proven to have big potential and a replacement for Vukojević in the national team, his performances were good especially in the already mentioned win against Internazionale

Tomislav Kiš - an awesome young striker, on the border of first team starters IRL you should play him as much as you can he can become quite a beast

Josip Bašić - an awesome right winger/back youngster, at the same potential level as those two above, should use him as a sub in a season or two or even in first team

Transfers

Unfortunately, it is very difficult for me to advise you on transfers. You are given a club which can attract good players, but players you'd be able to utilise as soon as you bought them cost money you can't afford to give and it's useless signing players who aren't good. I'll put up screenshots of my tactic and transfers, giving you an idea who you might sign, but it will depend on how much you know the free transfer and loan markets.

View attachment 298078
View attachment 298076
View attachment 298077

Summer transfers 2012

Whatever your formation might be, I strongly suggest loaning Willian, he is an awesome loan deal for Hajduk and either a first choice as a striker or a sub and Ivan, a right back from Portuguesa, he is leagues better than Vršajević in-game and will be your first choice certainly. You might or might not wish to sign Alex Zambrano, he is an OK sub but he has excessive wage demands for Hajduk and I myself regret signing him because Obšivač could've easily done his role and he doesn't have nearly so big wages. Amir Sayoud is a different story however, very versatile and cheap on wages, but it's up to you if you wish to sign him.

Sell Tonči Kukoč right away because he'll be useless to you and if you wish either now or in winter release Ljubičić and Stojanović from their respectable contracts which they don't deserve.

Winter transfers 2013

Here is where it really shows if you know bussiness. You should sign two players: Romario on free transfer from Victoria(you could've done that in summer but it doesn't matter when as long as you sign him first) and Walter Minhoca. These two are what you need(long-term right back and a striker who'll net you goals). You may sign Mahatmaa Otoo too but that's entirely up to you.

As for sales, you should sell Vuković for as much as you can and try and get a left back/left winger for replacements, in my game with my tactics I sold Milović and Jozinović too and got young Rene as a left back who did his job more than well.

Summer transfers 2013

These transfers don't have to be done right in summer, but also right through the 2nd half of season before. My suggestions who to sign are Luis Guilherme, Gledson, Maris Verpakovskis, Ibrahim Kargbo and Besart Abdurahimi. The middle three will come on free transfer, while for Luis and Besart you'll have to pay 600k euros and about 800k euros respectively, depending on who you sold. You might get some other deals or search some other players, but I've found these signings really good and in case of Luis and Besart effective in long term.

To get the money for Besart, I sold Blažević for almost 2 mil. euros, I was unfortunate in part because if I've waited a season more I could've gotten more but still.

Keep in mind, if you've won the league in first season and you got in the CL group stage, you'll get 10 mil. euros which will get you rid of your debts and if you're lucky some money for the next winter transfer market or next season summers transfer market.

Staff

Most of your staff are good enough for your current status, you should only think about replacing them after 2-4 seasons, depending on your successes

Future Targets

As the title suggest, you can lead Hajduk back to it's days of glory. They were a respectable participants of CL or UEFA Cup since Croatia got independence until 1996, but even during that time and especially later they collapsed financially, technologically and in staff and players quality, leading to loss of reputation which Hajduk never gained back, nor unfortunately for us Hajduk fans IRL it doesn't seem likely even now despite some bright moments like winning this summer on Giuseppe Meazza against Inter(arguably out of form).

In my opinion, starting with 5th season, the targets would be passing the CL group stage or getting to Europa League later stages.

Good luck everyone. I hope you'll enjoy playing with Hajduk, my favourite club.

(Just a minute and half of celebration of 100th birthday of Hajduk two years ago)
[video=youtube;DTaJUUXgtjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTaJUUXgtjg[/video]

(note: the translation on top of the guide isn't 100% accurate, it isn't easy translating sentences(phrases) in a way you can convey both it's meaning and translate correctly)

(edit: added youth team opinion)

Last edited:
Nice guide. Got be interested and I've been needing a new challenge after my Huddersfield save. A few things, can I have a download of your tactic and how did you do in the league?

Nice guide. Got be interested and I've been needing a new challenge after my Huddersfield save. A few things, can I have a download of your tactic and how did you do in the league?

I had been very lucky with some results, but not so much with others, in the end I did manage to get the double, both me and Dinamo had 63 points and they played their fixture before me and it was 1-1 and I won against Lokomotiva 1-0. Now I'm in the CL group stage after beating Floriana, Anorthosi and Hapoel Tel Aviv, played vs Inter on Meazza lost 2-0 but I had my chances(what surprised me before match in match analysis it said sth like: It will be close but Hajduk will win, probably because IRL I already mentioned the game IRL when Hajduk beat Inter on Meazza) and 1-1 home with Ajax had a penalty in 89' minute but Kiš failed to score...

Here's the link for the tactic, essentialy a modified version of my tactic from FM12: 3-4-3 FM12copy.tac

Hi, love the guide, it's definitely got me interested in doing a Hajduk save. I'm just struggling to get Ivan and Willian on loan due to 'first team commitments'

Great guide, i think LFC Marshall has a new transfer update coming out today, do you know if that will change the squad much at all? cheers