RuggyLAD

Reaction score
Does anyone else seem to struggle away from home?

I always seem to win a lot of games at home but I cannot secure many wins away from home and I am playing as a top Premier League side. I think it's ridiculous when you lose to the likes of Southampton and Reading just because they have a home bonus, it makes the game frustrating.

How do you approach the game on the road, what adjustments to your tactc do you do and do you pick the starting eleven slightly differently ?

I usually use Standard, Attacking or Counter and I pick my best eleven, playing the same players I do at home.

I usually use Standard, Attacking or Counter and I pick my best eleven, playing the same players I do at home.

Disclaimer: The thing beneath about "home and away" is more a question about how I see my chances ni the game and how I think the opponent will play against me.

When I play at home, I tend to use my "normal" approach. Then I look at the opponent and adjust my players to exploit their weakness and/or to combat their strengths. ( I.e against Villa with Bent and Gabby, I might use my more pacey DCs ( on cover) and against Stoke, I use my stronger ones( stoppers).

When playing away from home, I generally try to play more compact and sit slighly deeper. Here, I chose player in the same manor as above but focus more on the advanced players. Do I need to use one more Hardworking FC and one really pacey advanced Forward or Target Man or should I still use my Creative TQ without any defensive responsibilitys.

Apart from this, I tend to watch more of the game when away from home and watch the opponent closely. If they are pushing up and leave space behind their fullbacks, then I will use shouts to exploit this. If I giove away to much possession without me being dangeous on the break, then I retain possession and pass to feet etc.

I don't watch the game mate so I cannot spot the weaknesses, it takes too long to watch the highlights so I'm playing with 'Only Commentary'

I don't watch the game mate so I cannot spot the weaknesses, it takes too long to watch the highlights so I'm playing with 'Only Commentary'

Then I am afraid that the game will be really, really hard without being able to use exploiting tactics

Do you prepare for the game to find out weaknesses/strengths before the game ?

It just seems this version of Football Manager you have to spend so much time on the game and some of us only have couple hours to play the game. Also you can't use one tactic every game, you have to use several tactics so it's a bit frustrating for the less time consumed gamers.

The only way I prepare is by looking at the Scouting Report, but unfortunately it only tells you how they score goals, it doesn't show you where they concede there goals.

It just seems this version of Football Manager you have to spend so much time on the game and some of us only have couple hours to play the game. Also you can't use one tactic every game, you have to use several tactics so it's a bit frustrating for the less time consumed gamers.

The only way I prepare is by looking at the Scouting Report, but unfortunately it only tells you how they score goals, it doesn't show you where they concede there goals.

For me, its better to play the game a little slower and play fewer seasons. If you are willing to test it, I would do the following

You can look at their team and their players, their skills and their morale/confidence.

Using extended highlights does not take that long though and its defenitly worth it.

Use the analyzing tool to see where you loose possession or miss crosses, passes etc

Okay I shall give it a try, but can you give me some examples of some exploits? I understand what you mean when using the analyzing tool but how can I improve the tactic if I'm missing crosses etc. Can't exactly tell them to pass better :p

I appreciate your trying to help me mate, I just don't have a clear understanding on how this FM series works at the moment and to be honest I'm close to returning to FM12.

Hate losing to smaller clubs when my team is much more superior so it's leading to frustration with the game.

Okay I shall give it a try, but can you give me some examples of some exploits? I understand what you mean when using the analyzing tool but how can I improve the tactic if I'm missing crosses etc. Can't exactly tell them to pass better :p

I appreciate your trying to help me mate, I just don't have a clear understanding on how this FM series works at the moment and to be honest I'm close to returning to FM12.

Hate losing to smaller clubs when my team is much more superior so it's leading to frustration with the game.

Its is frustrating when you lose to 'smaller clubs' but remember it happens in real life so is realistic

Its is frustrating when you lose to 'smaller clubs' but remember it happens in real life so is realistic

This i actually the difference between managers like Sir Alex and Mancini, both regarding man management, match coaching and squad building.
If Ferguson hade been the coach of City ( and mancini of Utd), I bet City would be in the 7 points lead

This i actually the difference between managers like Sir Alex and Mancini, both regarding man management, match coaching and squad building.
If Ferguson hade been the coach of City ( and mancini of Utd), I bet City would be in the 7 points lead

True but remember last year losing at Wigan (as well as only drawing at home with Everton dispite being 4-2 with 7 min left) cost United the title

It is realistic but it's not realistic when your squad is being outplayed by a much weaker side.

It's getting frustrating losing games because I was very successful on Football Manager 2012, I need more detail to help me improve.