Barcelona's Pep Guardiola 'on brink of leaving club'

Breaking News: Xavi and Iniesta have been offered the joint-manager position at Barca but have decided to pass.

BBC Sport - Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

Think Tito Vilanova's appointment will be good for them. Keeps within the philosophy of the club. Will be hard to beat Real M to the league if Mourinho stays though.
Yeah, I agree. I like the appointment of Tito Vilanova, as rather than appointing some experienced veteran manager, who will stay for a few years, it seems they are building for the future. Maybe Vilanova can stay there for quite a while and achieve success - I doubt he will achieve anywhere near as much as Pep Guardiola has though!

Breaking News: Xavi and Iniesta have been offered the joint-manager position at Barca but have decided to pass.
That is quite a good joke, I admit, I laughed a bit! But seriously, I think Xavi might be a good manager in the future, as he just seems the type of player who could manage a team. He seems educated, I guess, although he complains to the referees too much for my liking!

​- PZW

Yeah, I agree. I like the appointment of Tito Vilanova, as rather than appointing some experienced veteran manager, who will stay for a few years, it seems they are building for the future. Maybe Vilanova can stay there for quite a while and achieve success - I doubt he will achieve anywhere near as much as Pep Guardiola has though!

That is quite a good joke, I admit, I laughed a bit! But seriously, I think Xavi might be a good manager in the future, as he just seems the type of player who could manage a team. He seems educated, I guess, although he complains to the referees too much for my liking!

​- PZW

Yer i think he has the tools to make a good manager too, just couldn't resist on the joke lol.

It'll be interesting to see how Barcelona will deal with life with Pep Guardiola, though, as appointing an assistant is often the easiest but not necessarily best option. I like the appointment, but I think that it might not work out. Look at FC Porto, for example, ever since André Villas-Boas, and Falcao, for that matter, left, they have not been the same team. Yes, they are doing well in the league; but nowhere near as exception as last season!

​- PZW

Pep's record will always be tainted by one thing and one thing only.... signing Zlatan Clownimovic :p

I'll miss Guardiola a lot - he changed the way Barca play and managed arguably the best club side ever! He is a gentleman and every game you could see he invested a lot emotionally. I agree with people when they say that his rivalry with Mourinho took a lot out of him..I love Mourinho (Chelsea supporter!) but even I got extremely annoyed sometimes with his theatrics off the pitch.

Let's see where he goes after his break (if he decides to come back!)

Last edited:
Well that's a load of rot, for a start. Considering what he has achieved in 3 years, and before that since he was the youth and reserve team coach, helping some of the current player emerge, and the new talent emerging as he leaves, he will certainly be more than nothing. There are a fair few parallels there with Saachi. Considering Chelsea already wanted him, and that he has already been tipped as one of SAF's successors, he's already far from a nobody without that side.
Considering he was only part of the youth set up for 1 year before taking the job of manager and Barcelona have been producing great players for years, I think the vast majority of the credit for the players they're producing goes to the system and not him.
I do agree that he's definitely more than nothing but I think we'll see how good he really is at his next job, if he doesn't completely retire. He could turn out to be like Rijkaard.