BReeceY89

Reaction score
This is a tactic with which I have begun to find success with only a small amount of tweaks, I have continued tweaking it with PI changes etc but I'm not sure how much I can improve it... due to the fact I am a novice at creating decent tactics.

I have played this tactic with Brentford, Portsmouth, Dover (only for a few games), and Chelsea (only a few games). I haven't had time to thoroughly test it for over a season but I think the signs are encouraging. You may notice that some of the screenshots (esp. Brentford) are only narrow wins, or I haven't even got all 3 points. I completely blame my rubbish strike force for this, and have uploaded the screenshots to show the match stats, and how dominant my team was. It has been pretty rare that the opposition has more CCC's than me.

Records and Stats
Longest Win Streak
- 12 - Portsmouth - 17.9.2011-5.11.2011
Longest Unbeaten Streak - 20 - Portsmouth - 23.8.2011-3.12.2011
Consecutive Games Scoring A Goal - 26 - Portsmouth - 23.8.2011-?
Most Consecutive Clean Sheets - 4 - Chelsea - 28.8.2011-17.9.2011

The main idea is to keep possession of the ball, frustrating the opposition with patient build up. This can lead to them overcommitting and making mistakes when they get the ball, which is when the counter comes.
The first thing I changed from most tactics was to set the full backs' roles as Defend, as I was getting sick of them being a few yards ahead of the CB's and leaving gaping channels to be exploited. Doing this has (most of the time) stopped the wingers getting in behind and carving you open.
The midfield looks to keep the ball and play a simple game, long shots are discouraged, but if you have a Thomas Hitzlsperger in your team then it may be wise to tweak this!
I haven't done anything particularly special with the wingers, but I will say that in my Chelsea game Mata has been absolutely immense on the left wing. Maybe it's just because he's really good, but I think it's also because he is the type of player suited to the formation.
The strikers are simply set up as DLF and AF, it's a combination I like, and find it works well in many formations. Tweaks include focusing a lot of crosses to the AF, so it may be worth playing a big man there. Drogba and Anelka have both banged them in from this role for me.
One thing to note is that, of the CB's, the stronger in the air should be at RCB, as they will be the focus of attacking corners. I also have the Advanced Forward set to 'Challenge Keeper', so if the RCB can only get a knock-down from the ball in, he is there to tap in. For Chelsea, John Terry has 2 or 3 goals in 4 games, with a couple of assists to Drogba as well.

When playing with Brentford, I encountered problems playing against teams with 5 across the middle, but I think this was more bad luck than a tactical flaw, as I would usually still have higher possession and more CCC's, but no points to show for it. The same seemed to happen when playing away with Brentford, but I haven't found this problem with Chelsea, even when playing strong teams away from home.
From what I have learned through testing, this tactic will work best for top half of the table teams, propelling them to be real challengers for the title.
Whilst I have slated the Brentford team that I inherited, I have them sitting just outside the playoffs at the moment, so I am still performing above expectations.

Misc. Info

• Opposition Instructions are set for the Assistant Manager to take care of them.
  • Team talks vary, I usually just tell the Assistant to take them but sometimes I will set my own to try and boost morale.
  • Touchline shouts I use are - 'work ball into box', 'retain possession' and 'pass into space'. I don't know if they have much of an effect but every little helps!!
View attachment 201565View attachment 201556View attachment 201557View attachment 201558View attachment 201559View attachment 201560View attachment 201562View attachment 201564View attachment 201774

This is by no means a finished article and would appreciate any feedback, or constructive advice on how to improve aspects of the tactic.
I won't appreciate people just coming on this thread and saying "Your tactic is rubbish, I lost every game 23-0 with 11% possession," or words to that effect.
I will continue to add screenshots of performances as I carry on the testing.

​Download:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=5808

***The Chelsea game: I have a save game where I take over the top 6 clubs in England and test 3-5 different tactics from other users against each other/against my own tactics. Obviously this also tests these tactics against AI teams as well. This means that I was in control of Man City as well for this game, and I was using a tactic which I downloaded from this site. I am not telling anyone whose tactic it was, no reputations should be tarnished. I also had a full strength Man City side out (except Aguero injured), and didn't purposefully sabotage the City team to make my tactic look better, as that is very sad. Since I have switched Chelsea to this tactic they have played 4, scored 12, and conceded 0. This has been 3 PL games (Che4-0Bol, MC0-3Che, Che3-0WB) and one Champions League game (2-0 win at Olympiakos). I had been using a similar tactic with Chelsea before this so familiarity was already high.***​

Last edited:
If anybody wants to download this urgently but it is still in the moderation queue, please PM me for a link, I won't post a link to a 3rd party site on the forum.

I will try this tactic for a season with my Birmingham City side will post screens when season is over.

If i replace the wingers by attacking wingers ( Jordan Ayew & Leandro ) in my Marseille team, could it works ? Because i really like the 4-2-4 formation and i will test it to my second season. Thanks

Don't see why it shouldn't work! If you make the wingers more attacking you may want to make the CM's slightly more defensive, but you might be able to get away with it without changing other positions. Leandro is definitely a great player for this system, but J.Ayew I have only ever played as a ST, I don't know what he is like like on the wing. Marseille is a top team to do this with, due to the wealth of options you have for all the midfield and attacking roles.

Here are a couple more screenshots of the tactic for Chelsea, I'm on a pretty good unbeaten run with it!! At the end of the season I will post screenshots of the distribution of goals and assists throughout the team and other stuff like that.

View attachment 202402View attachment 202403View attachment 202404

Started doing a series of challenges off another forum, and in this one, after going down 1-0 to Man Utd in my first game, I decided to switch to my tactic, and just hammer the match preparation to compensate for lack of familiarity with it.... think it worked!!

View attachment 202497View attachment 202498

The challenge was to replicate RvP's 11 goals in opening 11 PL games, so he played no part in CL games, and I usually rested a few players for the CL. In the League Cup against Bolton I played a very young reserve side, so that is why there is a loss there. Basically the only blemishes are a 3-3 draw at Marseille (which I think is a pretty respectable result) and the home draw with Blackburn. I genuinely don't know what happened with Blackburn game, we were cruising, then they equalised and just played keep-ball for the best part of half an hour.
As far as the distribution of goals and assists goes:
Per Mertesacker was playing RCB (the focus for corner routines)
Mikel Arteta would play in either of the CM roles, just depended on whether he was playing alongside Song or Ramsey.
RvP played mostly as the Advanced Forward, but did bag a couple of goals as the DLF.
Walcott played some games as the AF, the DLF and both wingers, he seemed to have a good game wherever I stuck him.
Gervinho and Arshavin made all of their appearances on the wings.

As the tactic familiarity was v. low, I had Match Prep on v.high throughout. For the first 2 or 3 games it was on Teamwork, then I changed it to Attacking Movement; even though the Familiarity levels hadn't progressed too much - it seemed to help though!!

As a Portsmouth fan I have started a game as Pompey, currently in the 2nd week of January and I'm 6 points clear at the top of the Championship, about to play Blackburn away in the F.A. cup 3rd round, and have Man Utd in the Carling Cup Semi Finals. I have used my tactic for all home games and away games which I am favourite, and have been using Raikan007's Might and Magic counter-attack formation when I am considered the underdog. I also occasionally switch to the counter attack when I am protecting a lead in the second half of a game. At the end of the season I will post up the screenies of League table, goals scored, fixtures etc etc.