Can this tactic be better and how?

duca015

Reaction score
Well, I created tactic specifically for Leicester team... It is ok against most of opposition, although I need to change sometimes against some opponents...

My basic idea was to keep things tight at back and be very careful when with ball, as I am outsider against most of opponents. If I am going to loose, then I want to keep results small, to avoid debacles and hits on moral...

So I came up with this formation
View attachment 172669

I bought four players for starting lineup - Lucas Romero to cover RPM player on DMC
View attachment 172666
Andrija Zivkovic to be one of wing players
View attachment 172661
Petar Stojanovic to be right back, as I did not had suitable player for this position
View attachment 172660
And Michael Luftner for Cover DC role
View attachment 172659

Regarding player instructions, AMR has sit narrower instruction and go further forward, and both central midfielders have instruction to close down much more. Idea behind this is for AMR to actualy act as second striker, and also open up space on right flank that can be used either by my BBM central midfielder, either by my right back... My DLP is my pull back option, as i am trying to play methodical game without too much risk, to rely on my main players both wingers and striker to create something upfront, or to utilize two towering CB-s in corners and good free kick taker I have in Fuchs to score.
If basic plan is not successful in offense, I tend to change roles and instruction for my left winger and striker, depending on situation, and I do not change anything with other players.
Regarding instruction, depending on situation, I tend to push up, or pull back my d-line, and widen play combined with pass in space option, sometimes i add Look for overlap instruction, and sometimes i give little bit higher tempo and direct passing option. If I see that I am dominating game, then I like to combine more then one of these instruction in order to capitalize on my domination.

In defense, Huth, my stoper, is usually man marking their Striker if it is lone striker, and if opponent has two, then I change both player rolls to CD-de, and play offside traps, without man marking.

I had scored every game since beginning of season, and my defense is pretty solid too, I do not allowed too much chances (HC or CCC) to opposition.

My worst game was against Arsenal, who played possession football, who destroyed me with his INF, and I really struggled to bring ball forward, but yet again, I have created some chances (2 CCC and 2 HC) and managed to score one goal, but my possession was awful, my pass precision was even worse, and my defense was destroyed with diagonal fast balls from one flank to another... So based on this game and one other against Man Utd that played similar game, I am certain that I will have to find another solution for teams that play this style in this particular formation.

Against all other my defensive plan has shown very good - I have very stable defense, allowing very little chances against opponent, my attack has very solid movement and possible chances, and it is, most importantly methodical, without too much risk. My planed main offensive weapons, two wingers Mahrez and Zivkovic plus Vardi are great, with Vardi being main scorer of 7 goals in 8 matches, Mahrez creating 8 goals in 9 and Zivkovic being scorer of 5 and creator of 3 in 11 matches. Both Mahrez and Vardi were injured for few games, thus they have played little less then others. Vardi was best player of August and Zivkovic was best player of September.
I have 5-1-3 record in league and I lost one game in Capitol cup as well... I would say, not bad at all...

But I feel this could be even better, but at moment, I am out of ideas... Does anyone else has?

Last edited:
First of all, you said you are looking forward to possessing the ball as much as you could.

But, on the contrary, you don't have the 'Holding Midfielder" who tends to take a ball away from the opponents.

Therefore, If I was in your shoes, I would change one of your midfielder to BWM or DM.

And it seems like you have too many play-makers. AP, RPM, DLP.

I've been playing Football Manager for 6~7 years and I've been managing Newcastle United and I'm on the 3rd place in the first season and 2nd in the second. And finally first at last.

I've never designated any play-maker more than twos. Simply means, if you have too many play-makers,

They are just looking forward to getting the ball instead of moving forward and creating the space.

Then your players might not be able to disrupt the defense lines.

And also, WB is not a great option to choose when you're playing 4-1-2-3.

If you encounter a team against 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 which has enough wingers to get past one or two players,

your defense lines would be destroyed so easily.

Sorry for my English, it's not my first language. If you have any inquires, don't hesitate to ask me. :)

The balance seems a bit weighted toward attacking through the middle/right as the BBM and IF have an attacking fullback on that side too, with a RPM not that far behind. On the left, it's more reserved with a DLP/D and a reserved fullback.

You could be caught down that right, but just keep an eye on it.

But, on the contrary, you don't have the 'Holding Midfielder" who tends to take a ball away from the opponents.
A holding midfielder stays back and helps the defence. He doesn't have to aggressively win ball. There is a DLP/D in the setup who could do this holding job.

Last edited:
Thanks on input from both of you...
@PhilipeCry
I have holding midfielder with DLP, and no, to contrary, I dont have problem with not enough aggression in midfield as both of my CM-s have close down much more PI.
Regarding my playmakers, I dont see this as problem necessarily, as with three creative players, I play more metodical and more patient game without risk that if my playmakers is marked I will loose creative force in my team. This does however hurt my ability to attack space, but this is not my main goal anyway, and if it is needed, I can easily change wing playmaker to some other role, which i do, as I said before.

On the other hand, Your input regarding my FB might be worth considiration. Do you have any recommendation about their roles?

@WJ
Yes, you are right... It is more centrally oriented attack, as INF-sup comes inside from right , and AP comes deeper in central position from left, that was also my main idea when creating formation... Since I do not have natural left winger, and for most of time Mahrez is playing this left AP, although I do change players in attack to avoid man marking of opposition, so I wanted to give this player more free movement to get most of their abilities...

I also considered that it could be little bit too dangerous to put BBM, INF and attacking WB on same side, but since most of opposition is playing one striker, and he is man marked, with other player that is covering them, and since I have 3 players closing down on right side if ball is lost, then usually ball is kicked forward to their striker (which is usually won back by my two DC-s), or it is moved to left side, where I have sitting CM (DLP) and reserved WB,so there is no to much problems with this... Problem occurs when opponent moves ball to left, and then quickly send diagonal pass to right, and this was situation that was heavily exploited by Arsenal and Man Utd, and I will have to definitely change formation for teams that play this way. But most of teams do not have quality to play this kind of game, so apart from these two games, this was not an issue...

When I was thinking about changes, my main thought was about moving Vardi from central striker to slightly left, to get better connection with AP and oncoming WB and to create even more space on right side... But this is still just thought not really something i already tried... Second change would be to change position of DLP and BBM, but then I fear that left side will be too congested and that neither BBM or AP would have enough space to operate... And besides, I really like movement of INF, BBM and WB on right/half right side...

Yeah, there's no need to change anything if you're happy with it and there aren't issues.