Cardiff City - The Rise of the Bluebirds.

faulky10

Reaction score
Cardiff a Success Story.

July 4th 2011

My name is Rhys Jones, I've been a member of the Cardiff background staff for over three years now. Recently Mr. Ghee has decided that there is need for a shuffle within the club. Watching Swansea gain promotion to the Premiership has turned the club around and new goals and aspirations have been set for the direction in which the club should be moving. In typical fashion, when this sort of thing happens, the manager is interviewed and usually sacked. Mr. Ghee has got Malky to come to Cardiff from Watford and many of us were surprised when Mr. Ghee told him to pack his bags. Many speculated as to what happened during the interview. Myself, I prefer to keep my nose clear of situations like that. I went over and spoke to Malky as we had worked closely together over the past month preparing the Cardiff players for the new season. He appeared to be very shocked at Mr. Ghee's decision to fire him. I asked him quite frankly what happened in there and he simply responded;

"I don't think Cardiff can win the league this year, I thought being honest with him would have been my best option."
"Clearly, the display of honesty was not appreciated."
"I guess so Rhys, anyway mate there is always Watford right?" Malky said with a laugh.

Shame his position really didn't last long here many had tipped him to have good success at Cardiff and it had appeared that the chairman had faith in him as well. Being one of the first team coaches I knew that I was next up for an interview with Mr. Ghee. I've never been one to let emotions get the best of me and I felt that I was calm cool and collected, my brain had different outlook as I kept imagining throwing papers across his office screaming and eventually storming out of his office.

"Rhys, Tell me what do you think of when someone mentions Cardiff football club?" Mr. Ghee casually asks. I had an instant memory of what Malky had said to me about his interview...

"Well Mr. Ghee I believe that there truly is a basis for great success within this club - We've got some very talented players and I have faith in the training staff that they will be able to get the best of the players."

"Rhys, you've been at the club for three years and 4 months now, please call me Dat." He says with a smile. "Now tell me Rhys, what would you do with the club?"

"Pardon?"

"It's a pretty simple question Rhys. I am asking you what you would do with the Club if you had the power to take it forward."

"Well Dat-" I clear my throat, it feels weird addressing him so casually, "I'd need to strengthen the defence. We've drawn some lines under targets we would want to bring to the club, but we've been unable to get a wrap on the dealings from what I've been told by Malky."

"Don't you worry about Malky Rhys, Tell me who are these targets and what sort of money are we looking at for them? Are they short term or long term answers to success?"

"Dat, these questions are all questions you should be presenting to the manger, not a coach, I'm here to deal with the players at the club on a day to day basis."

"Yes, Rhys you are correct - are you interested?"

"In the Management job? - Why yes I would be interested in the job most certainly" I say trying to hold back a smile.

"Well Rhys let me be honest with you - Malky wasn't ready to push the club forward he spoke to 'stability and cementing' I'm not interested in stasis, I didn't spend my own money in buying this club just to continue in mediocrity. I've worked my whole life in order to constantly move forward, whether that be financially or even socially everything I do is calculated in order to bring more success to myself and my family. In purchasing this club I had aspirations of cups and banners and money, Rhys this is a business we need to win championships and cups in order to gain more money - Can Cardiff do this? Or have I ultimately wasted my money?"

I was shocked - this is the longest I've ever spoken to Dat and he really is an imposing person he oozes confidence and perfection. I think to myself this is a man I can work with.

"Yes Dat, I want the job I have the utmost confidence that we can bring glory to this club - I'm sure you have heard this all before but I believe that if you and I are on the same page and we work out a concise 5 year plan we can bring that success to Cardiff."

"Now that is exactly what I am looking for Rhys, between you and I, you've got yourself a deal, I want you to be the next manager of Cardiff. I will have a delivery guy bring by the contract in the morning - but now please tell me about these players you have in mind"

"Alright boss, first off we need to strengthen the defence. There are three guys I've had Malky send the scouts out to watch - Even Hovland, Jacob Lensky and the legend Sol Campbell. After that we need to find an anchor in the midfield a player that has youthful exuberance and a desire to win games - that man - or boy in this case - is Josh McEachran, now I doubt we'll be able to purchase him from Chelsea since they have high expectations for this lad but due to his age I am sure Chelsea would not hesitate to send him our way on a season long loan." "Alright Rhys, It's your job to ensure these players make it to the club, you let me know if you need to move some money around other than that do what you can! Sol Campbell what a hero well played Rhys."

That went extremely well, I am pleased with myself I try to conceal the smile as I walk past David Kerslake, current assistant manager - He looks like he is sweating a bit, poor guy. I walk down to the dressing room, I've got a meeting with Miller and Earnshaw this afternoon we are going to discuss a new formation that I've presented Malky with and we both agreed that this is going to get the best out of Earnshaw and Miller combined making them an unstoppable force in the Championship.

Last edited:
Finally going to start that challenge when I get to end of the season on my current game. Good start to the story though.

Thanks Rangers - As Always I'll be gracious to constructive criticism.

Really good start mate. Good luck with this season. You should be able to get up to the big time easily ^^).

Maybe a couple of pictures mate? Even if it's just a Cardiff badge it looks a bit nicer IMO.

Thanks - Hows that?! I've added it at the top. I will be adding in screenshots of achievements and players etc as the story progresses.

Thanks - Hows that?! I've added it at the top. I will be adding in screenshots of achievements and players etc as the story progresses.

Looks good.

I'm starting the challenge tomorrow but undecided on who to be atm. Looking forward to an update.:)

July 5th 2011

A scrawny looking lad shows up at my door and hands me a brown envelope I hand him 10 pounds and tell him to come back with a coffee and a croissant from the bakery round the corner. I closed the door but made sure it was unlocked and went back to the kitchen and placed the envelope down on the table walked over to the television and flicked it on, sat down contemplating tuning into sky for the sports updates - I knew what the news would be though. I decided to just hit play on whatever I'd left in the DVD player, It was an episode of the American version of the office, oh how they've truly ruined the beauty that the show was with Ricky Gervais. Got to give those Americans credit though they do try and most of it does make me laugh especially when I relate the characters to people I know. The messenger bursts through the front door

"Hey! Mate! Are you Rhys Jones?!"
The lad yells through the hallway.
"Yes, I am why what's the matter?" I ask calmly, by this time I'm sure he's heard the news that has put two and two together.
"You're the new Cardiff Manager!!" the lad seemed thrilled.

I thought this was a bit of an odd expression of excitement, perhaps it is solely because I am right in front of him, or maybe he thought along the same lines as Dat. Well I guess I need to get used to this sort of blabber from the locals.

"Hey Rhys, here's your coffee - do you think you could sign the tenner?" He has a slight smirk on his face.
"Yeah sure no problems mate - this will be the first ever autograph I've given you should put this in a frame or something." I joke as I hand over a ten pound note with my autograph on it.

This is going to be the start of a very strange transition for me. I am not a media type, I prefer to get the job done on the training field, the players know that. I am thankful that I know the majority of the players like me and I know that I will have no trouble getting them to play for me. I know that is the hardest thing for any new manger coming to a club. Especially one with so many veterans. Robbie and I have been working together for a few months now after he came back to his favoured club after an eight year absence, he truly is a leader in the club and I know I will have to look to him to rally the troops around me and my approach to the club.

The phone started ringing around 11am and didn't stop, I thought about turning it off a few times but mostly it was players calling me to say that they were behind me, or in the case of Peter Whittingham telling me that he is leaving and that I should accept the first offer that comes my way. What a git I thought to myself, shouldn't be hard though he has been one of the top players in the club. Guess he wasn't my biggest fan. The one massive advantage I have over new managers coming into clubs is that I have the entire summer to plan my squad, that and I know who the lazy ones are, those should be easy to move. Just need to find Even's number I'm sure one of the scouts has it.

View attachment 230268
Next up: Press Conference.

July 5th 2011
Press Conference

I show up at the club office around 2pm, I was summoned in my Dat he wanted to present me to the press. Wonderful I thought, just what I need a bunch of eunuch 's asking me questions about the club and its direction. Can't I just do this over the phone? Begrudgingly I tighten my tie and head into the conference room, I've been in here once before after the training ground fight. The atmosphere seemed to be pretty airy which is always good - perhaps Dat had been in there already and told them all to take it easy on me or they wouldn't be allowed back in.
View attachment 230336

Dat with the Cardiff head press officer Michelle.

"Alright lads, as you know this is my first press conference, I am here to answer questions about being appointed Manager of Cardiff and my plans for the team, I will not answer speculative questions about Malky or anything about potential back office moves."

The press looked shocked, I bet they weren't expecting that - good one Rhys I applaud myself for that. I've taken the upper hand now they know what to expect and I know what I am in store for.

"Rhys, You've been at Cardiff for over three years - Was this your goal when you were hired to be a coach all those years ago?" Asked Gale from the Kick! Magazine.

"To be honest with you Gale, no. I had no dillusions as to what my position at Cardiff City was when I signed my 4 year coaching deal, I had planned to do the best job that I could as a coach and ensure that my players were ready to play for the club and their respective manager."

"You say 'my players' as if you take their performances as a reflection on your ability" Gale quizzed

"Yes absolutely Gale. Every week as a coach I am assigned a particular area in which I am to train the lads at, usually for me it would be a focus with the strikers and wingers with their movement. And if the Manager says to one of 'my players' 'what's going on with you tonight you look sluggish and aren't getting into the right positions' - I take that as a direct comment on my own personal work."

"So you'd say you are a perfectionist, aye?" Gale quips

"Yes, as Hunter Thompson said in Fear and loathing in Las Vegas 'If a job is worth doing, It's worth doing right.' Next question please."

"Rhys, What did you tell Mr. Ghee during your interview yesterday?" Peter from the Daily Mail asks.

"Peter is it?"

"Yes sir"

"Okay Peter, that is none of your business, next please."

"Mr. Jones - Who are you planning on signing this season?" Thomas from goal.com asks

"You goal.com writers are only interested in transfers and fluff aren't you? Well if I were to answer your question I would be answering Peter's question as well. I can tell you that I've got my eye on three defenders a central midfielder and a very obscure winger who I doubt any of you would be able to pronounce - That should give you enough to write about - I'm sure I will read something about Cardiff manager looking to sign Robert Pires in the late article on the site won't I?"

"Errrrm, thanks Rhys..." Thomas looks right puzzled, eat that you daft journalist!

"Rhys who are you going to name club captain?" Gale pipes up after a few moments of awkward silence.

"Easy one Gale, There is only one man for the job Rob Earnshaw. The guy is an absolute legend around the club the fans adore him and he is a talented leader."

View attachment 230335
Rob Earnshaw - Delighted to be back at Cardiff.

" How excited are you to take on this challenge here at Cardiff?" A soft spoken voice pops up from the back of the room, must be a woman.

"I am very excited, I'm looking forward to taking a different role within the club and sorting some of the issues out that I've witnessed over the years. Mr. Ghee and I will be very close and will chat every day about our plans and directions, it is going to be key to success for myself here at the club to keep Mr. Ghee involved and informed."

"What are the issues you've alluded too?" Oh ****** **** it's Charlotte...

"Erm, well..." I trail off a bit glance towards Dat he nods giving me permission to discuss the state of the club "There will be some players leaving the club, I've been a coach here long enough to know who works hard and who doesn't, I've already exchanged words with one of the players and we are on the same page about his future here."

"So it's a work ethic issue?" Charlotte must have a motive of some kind with these questions, I hope she isn't cooking up some sort of slander for me in my first week as the new boss.

"Yes it is a work ethic issue. Players are paid to train and play - not just play. If you want to be a part of this club you have to prove to me and your fellow players that you deserve to be a part of it."

"Should the Cardiff fans expect a complete face lift?" - You'll need one in a minute Charlotte if you don't stop asking these tiresome questions!

"No, the players are not to worry about their jobs. Those who work hard in training are all going to stay, it is only a small percentage of players who lack the work ethic required to make it in a Cardiff shirt."

"Rhys, what are you going to bring to the club?"
Peter asks

"An attacking, flowing style, we'll use the width of the pitch to outwork our opponents and draw them out of position. We'll utilize the abilities of our fantastic strikers and they will work together to become a feared partnership."

"So you are going to outscore the other teams?"

"That's the plan - You can't lose games if you score more than your opponent now can you?"

I hear a couple laughs as Dat takes over and brings the conference to a close. My phone buzzes in my pocket, so I quickly sneak off stage and duck around the corner. I pull out my phone and read the text message;

<Rhys, Sol here. I'm interested in coming send over a contract to my people in the am. Lates>

Wow! How did he even hear about this? blimey he definitely has his ear to the ground these days, how did he even get my number? That will be something I can discuss with him later. I hit speed dial 3,

"Linda, work up a contract for Sol Campbell and send it off to his reps, perfect thanks"

I hang up, Days done - Time for a good night's sleep.

View attachment 230337
Cardiff City Stadium

Last edited:
Editors note: I'm looking for anyone that knows where I can get a picture of the Cardiff Press room without any people on it, Or if anyone knows people that are good at graphics and wouldn't mind designing one for me. Secondly, I'd like to find some sort of program that allows me to put the 'texts' (like the one from sol) onto the image of a phone.

July 6th 2011

I woke up to "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles - This day will be alright I thought to myself. I have to head into the office today need to have a sit down chat with Peter and a few other lads who I am going to shift off. I should hear back from Sol's reps sometime this afternoon, let's hope we can get that wrapped up quickly I need to get him into the club and get his fitness assessed by our physiotherapist see how durable he is going to be this season. The other plan is to see Dat and discuss our season plans. I've got my eye on promotion but I'd love to win some extra silverware - It's all going to come down to the draws, I'm sure Dat will understand that statement...or will he? maybe he'll see that as an excuse - I start panicking my palms begin to sweat I haven't even had breakfast yet and I am already feeling emotionally tired. I sit down flip on Sky Sports and watch the headlines

"Sol Campbell agrees terms with Cardiff City and will be arriving at the club this afternoon for his medical"

The anchor delivers this news to me, wow Linda must have sent him one heck of a deal! Or perhaps his text was sincere and he was going to sign for whatever we offered him. I'll have to fire him a text and make sure it's actually true;

<Sol, Rhys here, heard you signed the contract - confirm?>

Hopefully he'll get back to me soon. Now I just need to get a hold of Even, I wonder if the scout has found that number yet...

<Get Hovland on the phone for me this afternoon - or at least his agent I want to bang this one out!>

Boy have mobile phones made the job a lot easier. I've finished my breakfast and I grab my coat and keys, hop into the car and drive on down to the club office. Michelle pops by to see if I'm doing okay after the interview we have a quick chat about what her job means to me and the club and how I should use her in certain situations. A bit awkward really because it appears that she doesn't have a real job other than ushering me into the press conferences and occasionally doing some pre-screening on what the press are going to ask me. Most of the players are all away on their summer vacations at this point as the days seem to drag on but I've got Peter Whittingham, Tom Heaton, Lee Naylor, Anthony Gerrard, and Paul Quinn all coming in for quick interviews with me. I know these lads know exactly what is going to happen, they know that I don't think they've got what it takes to stick it out here. It's sad really because I think Anthony is a wonderful asset to the club, I just can't afford to be paying him the salary while he works half as hard as the younger lads. I've had my eye on a few young welsh lads - might try and bring them in and hopefully they can work through the youth system a bit improve the status of our recruitment system a bit. I have to write that one down that'll be a good addition to tell Dat this afternoon. My phone buzzes and brings me out of the day dream I was having about European glory ...

<Rhys, yes I got the contract last night had a look over - looks good I'll be at the club in 30 mins - cya then>

So that beautiful blonde was right - Sol did accept the contract. That is ****** brilliant, I'll run up to Dat's office now and have that chat, will go by faster since we'll both be in a good mood!

"Dat, Sol has signed a year contract with us and will be wearing a Cardiff kit next season." I say as I burst through his door.
"Well done Rhys - that signals our intentions for the upcoming season. But let's continue our discussion..."

After about an hour or so laying down the brick work for our successful campaign I finally sign a 2 year deal with the chairman - There were a few clauses that needed to be ironed out. I walk back to my office and Sol Campbell is sitting there waiting for me.

"Hey Sol, what can I do for you?"
"Rhys, I wanted to come here - I needed a fresh challenge I've heard good things about the club and when I heard you were interested in solidifying your defence I knew there was only one person who could truly help you there."
He pounds his chest after the statement.
"Ha-Ha alright Sol, yes I could do with your help - But you've got to know that we do have two good guys already here and that you will have to fight for your place week-in-week-out?"
"Yeah - I am aware of that, but we both know who will be on that starting XI don't we gaff?" He says with a smile as he walks out.

Arrogant *****! he knows he holds the cards in this situation; This could be a challenging season with that sort of ego floating around. Hopefully we can work on some sort of agreement and keep him happy while constantly playing the best lads. Well as long as he keeps that attitude for me and the coaches and acts like a professional in front of the other lads that is a good thing! He will be a massive asset to the club - perhaps take on a coach's job once he's done playing. I can hear my phone ringing on the desk but I ignore it it's 2:30pm I know exactly who that is calling and I'm in no mood to have a conversation. I sit there and muse about my new formation, should I keep the wingers and just play two central mids? Or should I play one attacking forward two central mids and a defensive mid? These questions are going to bother me all day! The problem with an attacking mid is that Kenny Miller might be limited in his supply as the AM will likely collect and lay through to Robbie on his own. Guess I'll need to stretch these tactics out on the field and see what works the best for the lads! Whittingham knocking at my door brings me out of my daze...

"Let's make this short right gaff?"
"Yeah, sounds good to me. So you want to leave?"
"Yes, plain and simple I've been here long enough and I've paid my dues I want to leave and I want to play a higher level of football - can you handle that?"
"Yes Peter - Let me just give you a word of advice though. Pick it up lad."

You could tell he was fuming when he slammed the door. What a grumpy *******, obviously the countless times I've reported that he is lazy to the managers hasn't gone unheard - He knows that even if he wanted to stay I would still sell him. I decide that I'm going to e-mail the league and try and find him a suitor with no delay...
< Dear Managers;
I'm e-mailing you all to inform you of the availability of a few of my Cardiff City players.

Peter Whittingham - 2.5 Million
Tom Heaton - 450K
Lee Naylor - 150K
Anthony Gerrard - 450K
Paul Quinn - 200K

Feel free to e-mail back with any offers you may have. I'm flexible on the prices as long as you don't try and rob me blind - I'm looking at you Pulis.

Rhys Jones
Cardiff City>

We'll see how long it takes to hear back about any of those prospects. I can see that Tommy has showed up and is looking pretty solemn outside my office, you can tell just by the look on his face that he knows what this conversation is about - perhaps Peter messaged them all to warn them about what was going to happen in our little meeting. I wave Tom in;

"Alright Tom listen up, you are a talented keeper but I don't think you put enough effort in, I'm going to be going with Marshall. You are welcome to stay at the club work your tail off and prove to me that you want the number 1 kit."
"It sounds like you've already made you mind up on my future here gaff..."
"Not at all Tom, I am leaving it up to you on the training pitch - like I said I know you have the talent I just need you to start showing it week-in-week-out."
"You know what Gaff - I want out."
"Alright Tommy, I'll send out feelers and see who's looking for a keeper - I hope you find a first team place, if not think about what I've told you today ok?"
"Yeah, fine, later gaff."

It looks like the personable approach really isn't my forte, guess I am going to have to attend some personable lessons or something to get that sorted I can't have my players throwing little fits because I ask them to work hard for their spot on the team. This is a professional club right? I have to deal with three more players today - perhaps one of them will see what I am saying is right and move through it. My phone dings letting me know I've got a new text...

<Hovland wants to come - 700K for him - Deal?>

Yeah! That's a deal in a half, I instantly respond telling him to go ahead and get the deal done! That will be a beautiful signing the kid is young talented and determined to make it big! He's playing over in his native Norway for Sogndal I saw him last year when I was over there completing one of my coaching courses he bossed the defence around and was a wonderful organizer I've been bringing his name up to the scouts ever since. My inbox is empty, I grab my jacket and head for the exit.

View attachment 230516
Even Hovland in Action for Sogndal.

July 7th - September 1st 2011

I've spent a full month completing transfers organizing the formation and talking to the players while they are away on Holiday. I've set up the friendly matches the schedule looks like this -

• Cardiff Reserves (June 7th)
  • Dunfermline (June 9th)
  • Chasetown (June 11th)
  • Celtic (June 13th)
  • Stoke (June 15th)
  • Bury (June 29th)
The schedule is a bit loaded - but I needed to make it this way to build up the match fitness in the lads. There are some wobbly legs out there and I need to make these players stern hard monsters. We've been handed the league schedule for the upcoming year we play Southampton away on September 8th, should be a good opening match for the boys, I'm hoping that the condensed friendly schedule will help them in their bids for match fitness.

I had a productive phone call with AVB about getting Josh McEachran and Rhys Taylor here on loan. The two lads seem really keen on getting down here - Rhys especially since he'll only be a quick trip down the A8 away from his home town of Neath. I had to make sure Rhys knew that his position in the club would be primarily as a backup getting the occasional start when David needs a rest or I drop him due to poor form. He seemed to understand and be excited to get down here and start getting some training in. Josh on the other hand was a key piece to the plan here, I needed him to play an important central midfielder role and be the creative force between the defence and the strikers. He was going to get a ton of playing time and hopefully a ton of assists.
View attachment 231144
Josh McEachran Training
View attachment 231146
New Loanee Rhys Taylor In his old Chelsea Get up

I'd spoken to Dat on the phone a few times and he seemed to like my idea of trying to bring in Welsh talent and bring them through the system he immediately agreed to upgrade our junior coaching in order to try and advance some of our youngsters. I thought that I would try and add to our already adequate youth team by bringing in Aristotle Nsiala from Everton for 170K and Aaron Holloway from Bristol City for a sum of 875K. I am still in the midst of working out a deal for Even Hovland but I am hoping that we'll be able to conclude these meetings by the start of the season. Sol hasn't passed the fitness test so he's promised me that he will work on it and come back once he has managed to regain some of the fitness. I've heard he's been up at Newcastle United working on that fitness.
View attachment 231151
Holloway in the Lineup for the u19 Wales squad
View attachment 231152
Young Nsiala tackling Fabio Borini in a u18 league clash

I've had my eye on Saulius Mikoliunas the Lithuanian winger to add a bit of speed down that side. I've already got Cowie and Conway in the wide area's but I've seen both players get banged up and I need someone to come in and give some challenge to these two lads. Saul will be able to do that for the club, I've had a few preliminary chats with him and he seems keen to come back to the United Kingdom, He had a spell up in Scotland with Hearts.

View attachment 231145
Mikoliunas Playing for Aresnal Keiv during the pre-season

I got an e-mail back from Roy Hodson about Heaton and Whittingham looks like I'll be able to make a nice bonus off the sales of those two players.

<Rhys,
Roy here, I'm interested in buying Whittingham and Heaton how about we discuss potential transfer values? West Brom's offer stands at;
Peter Whittingham: 1.7 Mil
Tom Heaton: 375K
Let me know if we can get some contracts sorted with those two lads.
Thanks
Roy Hodson
West Bromwich Albion FC >

Not nearly close enough Roy - Guess he'll have to take those offers back to the drawing board! What a dolt I clearly outlined the valuations of the players and these aren't even close to what I'm looking for. I guess this is a side of Management I'm not used to - of course they are all going to try and undercut the value of my players. It's much more cut throat than I ever imagined!

Last edited:
Woke up this morning and felt really good, first match as the official Cardiff City Manager! We are up against our reserve squad today and David Kerslake will be in charge of the reserves tonight, this should help me see where all my players are before the season gets underway. The game was a bit drab you could clearly tell that the players were really lacking that clinical touch. It ended in a 1-0 victory for the senior team. I wasn't exactly happy with the performance of the team so I gave them a bit of a rollicking after the full time whistle. I knew that that type of performance wouldn't work out against a slightly more apt team like Dunfermline - no disrespect to my reserve squad but those guys were mostly made up of my u18 squad. Although Dunfermline may not be a massively well known club it will be vital for my players to step their game up and take it to them.

I walk on to the pitch we have a small crowd of about 7,000 people in attendance tonight - many see this as their first chance to take a look at me in the big man's chair as well as many are excited to see Josh McEachran I've noticed that many of his kit has been purchased - good thing I Michelle called me and told me to cement his squad number so that the club house could start printed his kit. Strange to me with him just being a loan though, I guess many are hoping that he'll be such a success here that we will be forced to sign him. The match kicks off and within seconds Josh has laid on a beautiful ball through to Earnshaw and he's coolly slotted this one in the bottom left. What a great start I really couldn't have asked for more from the players. I could tell there was a hunger about them at the beginning of the game. Dunfermline came right back down the field some awful defending by Taylor allowed them to sneak right in and power one past Rhys Taylor, not looking too good defensively. I begin to scribble down potential changes to the way our defense is organized, I've got a plan but I need to see how this game plays out before I start making adjustments it's taken me countless hours to develop this formation and I don't want to start tearing it apart just yet. There has to be a few things I can change from the sidelines. I get up and start barking orders to Ben and Dekel to tighten up the gap between them, I signal to Darcy and Kevin to shift in a bit and pinch the holes in the middle - We've got the speed to let them go to the outside we need to eliminate the gaps. The match started to turn in our favour Josh fired a rocket into the top corner to push us up 2-1, Earnshaw doubled his tally by deftly finishing a Cowie cross 3-1 now. Cowie breaks loose down the wing and swings another beautiful cross into the box which Kenny nods comfortably past the keeper, 4-1 things are looking really comfortable now we are being much more aggressive going forward. We go into half time with a very comfortable 4-1 lead. I decide that I am going to replace all 11 players. Bad choice now that I look back on it. Young Goalkeeper Andrew Giles can't handle the pressure of a senior game and ends up giving away 2 poor goals. A slip by new comer Nsiala allows them to tie the game - My heart is in my throat the crowd are clearly upset and are booing my decision to change the team around. Earnshaw pops his hand on my shoulder and just laughs and says

"S'only a friendly they'll forgive you gaff"

I smile and laugh back - I ****** well hope he's right! Luckily enough Parkin pops up in the 78th minute to put us in front 5-4. We manage to withstand the barrage of attacks and the sound of the final whistle is music to my ears, elated I give a little fist pump and high five some of my players, a bit juvenile I recall later that evening.