Ces Suarez L?: The Story of Rafael Suarez

RyanOwens

Reaction score
Ces Suarez L?:
The Story of Rafael Suarez

Prologue

Rafael Suarez: born on May 8, 1960 in Madrid to Bonita and Pepe Suarez.The Franco regime was kind to the family: Pepe was a petit officer in the Spanish military, and Bonita a matron in a hospital. Rafael, brought up in an affluent family, was given the lisence to focus on his footballing career. So much did he focus, that on the eight of May, 1976, he was signed to a youth contract by the infamous Real Madrid football club. It was in the Madrid training grounds that the Spanish midfielder would develop the technical skill that would define his game. Passing was his passion, and setting up goals was his penchant. In 1980, the young midfielder was sold to the Portuguese side, Maritimo. It was with this club that Suarez would come to find his tact, playing the first season in the Second Division of Portuguese football but achieving promotion immediately and moving up to play in the top league. In 1985, frustrated by a lack of success in club football, Suarez chose not to re-sign with Maritimo, instead accepting an offer from top-flight club, Benfica. His move to Benfica, where he occupied the important attacking midfield role, coincided with his entry into the Spanish national club as a regular starter. While this was a personal victory for Suarez, the times were such that the national team was not regarded as the ultimate accomplishment. As such, Suarez' focus was squarely on achieving victory in the Portuguese league with his new side. And how! In 1987, Suarez was a part of the starting XI at Benfica that won a double in Portugal and was often instrumental in developing the attack for the club.

In 1989, at the age of 29, disaster struck. While on a run toward the penalty area, ball at his feet, Suarez was struck in the side of his shin by a defender on a dangerous sliding tackle. A loud crack was heard across the stadium; the break that happened there would prove the end of his career as a player. Depression set in after leaving football, and so did alcoholism. From 1989 until 1995, Suarez was in and out of rehab for his addiction and seemed to be going nowehere fast. "I need football to live," he later explained in an interview. "Without it, I am nothing; I am no one. Who wants to be no one?" It was in 1995 that Suarez was approached by a friend and old teammate who had recently taken up a coaching role with Maritimo. And it was in 1995 that Suarez entered the coach's world.

Under Paolo Autuori, Maritimo had come alive, challenging the status quo in Portuguese football. It would be his attacking style of football that would propel Maritimo into European football and Suarez would have a role in that which would get him noticed as an able -- if not formidable -- coach. In 1998, the club won the Madeira cup. However, once again, Suarez wanted bigger things. It was time to move back to Spain and take on some real duties. That summer, Suarez was offered the role of assistant manager at Real Betis. He took the job and was off to Sevilla. In the local paper, Suarez was quoted saying "I am so happy to be back in Spanish football; there is something so unique about it." Unfortunately, Suarez' time at Real Betis was marked by poor management, with Argon?s who led the team to finishing 8th, and Clemente who spat on a fan and finished 11th in the table. After two tumultuous years at Real Betis, Suarez decided to test the market once again.

This time, it would be Villareal who would pick him up. Now the Assistant Manager at Villareal, Suarez had a real chance to have an impact on the European stage. In 2003, the club won the Intertoto Cup and, in 2006, they managed to make it to the semi-finals of the Champions' League. From there, the club, with Suarez as Assistant Manager, finished second in the Spanish Premier League to Suarez' former side, Madrid. He would stay with the club through their hard times and relegation but, eventually would look to make a move to become the Manager at a club elsewhere.

Chapter One: The Call

"Hola Rafa, I have some good news: I think we've reached a deal with Almeria." The voice on the other end of the phone was excited in spite of the exhaustion. And so it should be: the fruit of a whole night's negotiating had finally come to bloom and the nectar was sweet. Jos?maria Vel?zquez' client, Rafael Suarez, was finally a manager for a professional football club. Albeit, the club was in the Secunda Division, a far cry from his previous club, Villareal, but this was nonetheless a promotion. It would be the first time that Rafael could take the reigns and be in charge. He had spent a great deal of time working as a coach and then as an assistant manager at various clubs in Spain and Portugal's top flights, but he was nevertheless nervous about this one.

"What are we looking at?" Tentatively, Suarez took down the details of his contract: 4,900 quid a week for two years. "Gracias, Jos?," he said graciously before hanging up his cellular phone. He let go a sigh of relief as he sunk down into his chaise. "Almeria, **** me," he muttered to himself. Had someone told him a decade ago that he would be taking on such a responsibility, such a task, such an opportunity, he would have laughed -- or perhaps cried. Suarez' life hadn't gone easily. In the twilight of his career he was put out of football miserably by a painful and vicious sliding tackle and the depression that followed nearly killed him. Ten years ago, it would be by his own hand or by alcohol poisoning that he would go out, but today he was on top of the world. He only regretted that he couldn't have a beer to celebrate it. A cigarette would have do. He lit up, took a long drag from the hand-rolled cig and got up to tell his wife the good news. "Luisa, pack the bags. Tonight, we fly to Andalusia."

Tonight, he would move. Tomorrow, he would get to work. There was so much to do! He had to meet the Chairman again in person, this time as his employee; he had to meet his staff and make the difficult decisions: who do I keep, who do I replace? What is the status of my squad? Who do I keep? Who do I sell? Who do I buy? Who do I make the supporters like me? So many questions. It was a good thing that Rafa couldn't sleep on the train anyway: he wasn't going to be getting much rest with so much on his mind.