Conceding WAY TOO MANY goals! Help pls!!

Joso1000

Reaction score
Well, the title says it all. I definetely concede too many goals. I have the very best and most efficient attack in the league, but i concede too many goals. That was the problem with all the teams i managed. Its really ******* me off right now. Now im managaing Man Utd and i allready conceded 24 goals and theres only 17 games played in current season! Midfield is going well, attack is brilliant, but defence (or the GK, dont know really, or both) are at the same level as a 5th league midtable club! At every game, the opposition attackers are incredibely precise. For example they shoot 4 times at the goal and i concede 3 goals! I have Claudio Bravo on the goal, Lorenzo De Silvestri (right), Jan Vertogehn, Jonny Evans, Salvatore Bochetti (left).

Oh and i cant do anything with the training schedules, theres an explanation in this post why

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/fm-2...ing-schedules-coaches-gone-nothing-there.html

PLEASE HELP WITH THE DEFENCE PROBLEM! Im desperate, thanks

what is your formation? if you play attacking full backs you will need a midfielder to be on defensive duty as your 2 centre backs will be isolated.
if you are getting caught on the break alot try setting Jonny Evans to Central Defender Cover, or set both CB's mentality to ultra defensive.

Its 4-3-1-2, and i cannot play with a DMF, its just something i cant do, never did it, im use to this tactics and cant spare a player to a DMF position. But isnt it a little bit a problem in a GK? I mean they cant be all that precise (opposition players when scoring)

---------- Post added 10/07/2011 at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was 08/07/2011 at 06:51 PM ----------

Can someone (that isnt conceding too much goals) give me their GK and entire defence advanced tactics settings? SS for every player in defense and a GK would be great. Thanks

With my Malaga side i finished 2nd last season and only conceded 22goals in the league (second only to Barca who conceded 20 but finished 3rd! :) ). I use a 4-2-3-1 with my two midfielders pushed into midfield. I will attach all the screenshots of my GK, back four and two midfielders plus the team instructions. If you want any more screenies just say. But Ochoa is by no means an amazing GK Attribute wise but managed 21 cleansheets last season in the league and most the goals i concede seem to be from corners! :/

View attachment 183166View attachment 183167View attachment 183168View attachment 183169View attachment 183170View attachment 183171View attachment 183172View attachment 183173View attachment 183174View attachment 183175

Its 4-3-1-2, and i cannot play with a DMF, its just something i cant do, never did it, im use to this tactics and cant spare a player to a DMF position. But isnt it a little bit a problem in a GK? I mean they cant be all that precise (opposition players when scoring)

---------- Post added 10/07/2011 at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was 08/07/2011 at 06:51 PM ----------

Can someone (that isnt conceding too much goals) give me their GK and entire defence advanced tactics settings? SS for every player in defense and a GK would be great. Thanks

So you're playing a 4-3-1-2, but somehow 'can't' spare a DM, whatever that means. Give us more details: roles, duties and positions. Just copypasting someone else's defensive tactics into yours won't help at all, since a defence needs to be integrated into a formation, not separate.

Also, tell us who your players are.

So you're playing a 4-3-1-2, but somehow 'can't' spare a DM, whatever that means. Give us more details: roles, duties and positions. Just copypasting someone else's defensive tactics into yours won't help at all, since a defence needs to be integrated into a formation, not separate.

Also, tell us who your players are.
ok, well not that i cant spare, its just that i dont play with DMs, its just something i dont do, they are never a part of my tactics, no matter what club i manage

Ok this is it. I have the best attack in the league Higuain and Hernandez together scored almost 50 goals in 34 games and over 20 assist all together.

Put a more defensively minded midfield in CM with Romano. Unless he's literally a God, he isn't going to be able to solo the midfield job, especially when teams come at you with 4-3-3 etc.

Put a more defensively minded midfield in CM with Romano. Unless he's literally a God, he isn't going to be able to solo the midfield job, especially when teams come at you with 4-3-3 etc.

No, no, i dont want to touch my midfield, honestly i love it just the way it is. In fact Romano is tipped for best young player of the year (in his 1st season in premiership)

Well your two CB's sit back and basically let whoever is coming at them walk into the area.
You only have one person in the middle of the pitch and two players out wide.

So whilst your CB's sit back and let the opposition come towards your goal the lone CM gets completely outplayed because he's by himself.

Increase the CB's closing to own half, increase tackling to normal.
Then either bring the two wide men in alongside the CM to make your team more stable in the middle or bring the ST/AMF back into DMF.

The 424 I use works great defensively aswell as going forward because I make sure my defence is covered when going forward.

No, no, i dont want to touch my midfield, honestly i love it just the way it is. In fact Romano is tipped for best young player of the year (in his 1st season in premiership)

Then get used to conceding so much. You can't make your team as attacking as that and not expect to concede, sorry. You can have an equally balanced midfield and not concede too, just not like that.

Drop the defensive line or play a DM. Check your offside trap if you're refusing to drop the defensive line and get faster centre backs.

Well your two CB's sit back and basically let whoever is coming at them walk into the area.
You only have one person in the middle of the pitch and two players out wide.

So whilst your CB's sit back and let the opposition come towards your goal the lone CM gets completely outplayed because he's by himself.

Increase the CB's closing to own half, increase tackling to normal.
Then either bring the two wide men in alongside the CM to make your team more stable in the middle or bring the ST/AMF back into DMF.

The 424 I use works great defensively aswell as going forward because I make sure my defence is covered when going forward.
Well i need a AMC and 2 strikers, cause i have great attack with those 3. I think ill set my MC to play more defensive, for example Arsenal has only 1 defeat in the entire season and only 10 goals conceded! While im in second place and conceded 41 goal! So, u see my problem. Well besides that its unreal how a team in England can concede only 10 goals and have only 1 defeat, thats just ridiculous, its like theyr playing with a dream team!

Last edited:
Well i need a AMC and 2 strikers, cause i have great attack with those 3. I think ill set my MC to play more defensive, for example Arsenal has only 1 defeat in the entire season and only 10 goals conceded! While im in second place and conceded 41 goal! So, u see my problem. Well besides that its unreal how a team in England can concede only 10 goals and have only 1 defeat, thats just ridiculous, its like theyr playing with a dream team!

You don't NEED an AMC and two ST's.
Yes you have a great attack but you're getting walked all over at the back so what's the point of having such a great attack?
If you change your team around a little to improve your side defensively you wont need to score so many goals because you will let in way less.

You don't NEED an AMC and two ST's.
Yes you have a great attack but you're getting walked all over at the back so what's the point of having such a great attack?
If you change your team around a little to improve your side defensively you wont need to score so many goals because you will let in way less.
Well if i drop and sell my AMC the board would go berserk lol, hes been playing in wonderfull form

Ok this is it. I have the best attack in the league Higuain and Hernandez together scored almost 50 goals in 34 games and over 20 assist all together.

let's take a look at your tactic.

Seeing your formation, any midtable team with something like 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 would rip apart your defence. As there is a huge gap between midfield and defence, facing a 4-5-1 formation would leave your two CB dealing with 3 attackers in form of 2 inside forwards and one striker. This will be huge as 3 vs 3 is usually not enough, let alone 2 vs 3.

The gap is further made worse by setting CB's closing down to 'never'. Thus, they will not close down in terms of counterattack, and any good attacking mid and wingers will enjoy free space offered by your defenders and mid. This is made worse by setting full backs to wing backs, leaving no cover in flanks. Effectively, you are defending with two players, while teams like Barcelona defending from their striker with Messi, Henry and Pedro commiting fouls more often than two centerbacks combined two years ago, statistic suggests.

Even if you put romano more defensively, the formation by itself is flawed defensively. A 4-5-1/4-3-3 counter will do good to counter this. One DM to cover your wijnaldum, two CB to cover your strikers, two wingers to cover overlapping fullback and two fullbacks to handle your wingers. The problem is, two CM vs 1 CM is simply not enough, and basically you have no midfield.

Also, it seems you set your team in phases and one phase = one line. Modern football does not allow this to happen though as interchange, overlap and dropping deep is definitely key to modern football. So is DM, they are key to modern football.

Btw, your new formation seems much better defensively, and also perhaps, in attacking, although still can be overran in midfield by some variant of 4-5-1 and any variant of 3-5-2.

Ok this is what im using now. And enjoying it lol. The attack is maybe working even better. And all i did was pulled AMC Wijnaldum down to a MC next to Romano. Now hes helping him in the middle but ive also set his role to a supporting MC. Its incredible how one little move can turn ur defense all around. Ive bought Bale for 60 M € and i didnt regret one euro. Hes absolutely fantastic. Now i conceded 5 goals in 7 games. Last season i conceded in first 7 games of the season something aroun 15 goals, so theres a huge difference. Ive started with this new tactics in the new season from the start, look at my fixtures results

Oh btw, look at my finances, what do u think? Good, terrible, satisfiing or ur-a-criminal? :)View attachment 184455View attachment 184456View attachment 184457View attachment 184458View attachment 184459

I think the main thing is you have one of your central defenders set to basically not close down, and then you have you fullbacks closing down anyone that comes into your half. The central defender needs to close down at some point, not just sit on his goal line. And the fullbacks are going to get caught out on the overlap if they are pushing up to the halfway line. It's a fine balance. Also depends on who you're playing. If you're playing a team with pace and your defenders are slow they you need to sit back. Or if you are playing a team who are slow then you can push up. But if you sit back you need to see if they've got players who are good for shooting from range. This is where an anchorman would be ideal, but seeing as you won't have won you will have to find the right balance when playing teams who have fast players and who can shoot from range. Ideally buy fast defends with good anticipation and concentration and then you can push up and not have to worry about conceding long range goals.

Lol jebada XD. Leave defenders on default. Only change should be passing-short. Use very fluid or fluid also. Your CBs are so limited they can not breathe! Give them some space ;)