RajGro

Reaction score
So, I have a tactic where when I play at home, I'm dominating the ball (talking about 60-70%) and creating a shedload of clear cut chances as well as dominating the game (in one game vs Liverpool at home (i'm man utd) I had 10 clear cut chances, Liverpool didn't even have a shot on goal).

Fast forward to the next game, same tactic, but away from home against Aston Villa. I achieve approximately 50% possession, and hardly any CCC's.

So I kept going for a few in game months and the trend is similar. Away games I mostly struggle to win but home games I demolish my opposition.

So my question is, when you're making an away tactic, what things need to be considered and why might a tactic so good at home be completely different away? (not talking specifically about my tactic, but rather what kind of things need to be conisdered away from home)

the game changes the mentality of the opposition significantly when they are at home, to an unrealistic extent, imo. For instance, against say Fulham, at Old Trafford, Fullham will sit back really deep, not press, not tackle too aggressively and therefore your task is to find a way through them. That is usally pretty easily done with a team like ManU. At Craven Cottage, fulham will play like YOU were playing at OT, so your task totally changes.

If you were dominating possesion at home, partly its because fulham sat back, so your players had time to pass to other players' feet and wait for a runner or an opening, now that fulham are at home, your players are being pressed so they dont have the time to pass around the whole park, they are being pressed heavily, and the runners arent being found because your players dont have time to find them, then your team is out of position.

does this make sense? I always play on the counter away from home (even with a team like ManU or Arsenal), unless its a terrible terrible team, and even then i'll take off some of my more attacking shouts (like push higher up, use offside trap, etc.)

hope this made sense

the game changes the mentality of the opposition significantly when they are at home, to an unrealistic extent, imo. For instance, against say Fulham, at Old Trafford, Fullham will sit back really deep, not press, not tackle too aggressively and therefore your task is to find a way through them. That is usally pretty easily done with a team like ManU. At Craven Cottage, fulham will play like YOU were playing at OT, so your task totally changes.

If you were dominating possesion at home, partly its because fulham sat back, so your players had time to pass to other players' feet and wait for a runner or an opening, now that fulham are at home, your players are being pressed so they dont have the time to pass around the whole park, they are being pressed heavily, and the runners arent being found because your players dont have time to find them, then your team is out of position.

does this make sense? I always play on the counter away from home (even with a team like ManU or Arsenal), unless its a terrible terrible team, and even then i'll take off some of my more attacking shouts (like push higher up, use offside trap, etc.)

hope this made sense

Definitely, thanks for your help. I agree - for a few editions now I've felt the difference at and away from home is far over the top to reality. Will have to think about a second strategy away from home I think.

This year the away games are ridiculous. I played Stevenage away in the FA cup as Chelsea, coming off the back of three straight wins at home including a 3-0 demolition of Man City. They took me to a replay and played me off the park! Ive tried everything to try and crack away days but to be honest its starting to **** me off so now I just close my eyes and hit play. I have some success against smaller teams with only a few tactical tweaks but Champions League nights dont quite hold the same magic when you get drawn away at Barca or Bayern and knowing you're getting a spanking!

This year the away games are ridiculous. I played Stevenage away in the FA cup as Chelsea, coming off the back of three straight wins at home including a 3-0 demolition of Man City. They took me to a replay and played me off the park! Ive tried everything to try and crack away days but to be honest its starting to **** me off so now I just close my eyes and hit play. I have some success against smaller teams with only a few tactical tweaks but Champions League nights dont quite hold the same magic when you get drawn away at Barca or Bayern and knowing you're getting a spanking!

part of me agrees with this idea, but then again:

1. nobody in the world goes into the Nou Camp or the Allianz and wins games. Most teams in the world can expect to lose by multiple goals at those two stadiums. Limit the damage, try and get an away goal, and beat them at home. Thats pretty normal stuff, for even the best teams in the world.

2. Your FA cup experience is also quite realistic. Sometimes, it happens. I could link dozens of times a team like arsenal, or any other top team, has unexpectedly lost in the FA cup. ****, 2nd tier wigan just went to Man City and beat them, amazing result. It happens.

part of me agrees with this idea, but then again:

1. nobody in the world goes into the Nou Camp or the Allianz and wins games. Most teams in the world can expect to lose by multiple goals at those two stadiums. Limit the damage, try and get an away goal, and beat them at home. Thats pretty normal stuff, for even the best teams in the world.

2. Your FA cup experience is also quite realistic. Sometimes, it happens. I could link dozens of times a team like arsenal, or any other top team, has unexpectedly lost in the FA cup. ****, 2nd tier wigan just went to Man City and beat them, amazing result. It happens.

It happens but not as consistently as it happens here. Away days are always hard but it's amplified a lot more I think in FM than it is in real life. Every away game is a struggle for me. If you're Man Utd you shouldn't have to go and play a contain and counter game against a side like Crystal Palace away. The fact is in real life, they'd still sit deepish against you.

They were just examples of my problems. I think the point in question is that for Real Madrid to have to go to Ponferradina and be happy with a draw is pretty unrealistic. The difference in quality between a lesser team at home and away is enormous.