Crossing the divide – Kettering Town

askep

Most Valuable Pirate
Reaction score
fmstorysig.jpg

STORY ON HOLD
Currently playing another Lower League Management (Level 11) game with the 10.3 patch. This save is on 10.2, but I still intend to return to it eventually, but we shall see :)

View attachment 36277

Crossing the divide: many players, staff and managers have done it and it is seldom without controversy. Notable examples include Sol Campbell (Sp*rs to Arsenal), Luís Figo & Michael Laudrup (Barcelona to Real Madrid) and even Bernd Schuster (Barcelona to Real Madrid to Atlético Madrid).

In FM09 i had my longest and most enjoyable game managing Rushden & Diamonds, taking them to the Premier League and Champions League in 7 seasons. This time, again I started unemployed with the lowest reputation, and this time it was Rushden rivals Kettering who were the only ones willing to give me a go. I got a taste of the rivalry between the clubs, I gained promotion with Rushden from the BSP through the playoffs, beating Kettering in the final and having some hard-fought matches throughout the season.

So I would try my hand at Kettering Town, a team whose highest ever placing was 2nd in the Blue Square Premier. For a team founded in 1872, that's clearly pathetic, so improving their history shouldn't be too much of a challenge. What will be a challenge is topping my success with Rushden, who became a Premiership powerhouse in 7 seasons.

My goals
To get to the Premier League a bit quicker this time, hopefully more convincingly with some more automatic promotions as playoffs are such a pain and actually stick at it if and when I get to the glittering lights of continental football.

A few facts about the club

kt_kits.png

• Year founded 1872
  • Nicknames The Poppies, The Kettles
  • Fierce rivals Rushden
  • Other rivals None
  • Stadium (1897–2015) Rockingham Road (Capacity 6100, 1100 seated)
  • Stadium (2015–) Kettering Stadium (Capacity 16191)
  • Fairly basic corporate facilities
  • Adequate training facilities
  • Basic youth facilities
kettering-town-rockingham-road-004.jpg

Rockingham Road – a basic ground for a basic club.

How's it going?
Thanks for asking! This space is reserved for letting you know how well or indeed how poorly I may be doing as the seasons progress. Click the links attached to the years to go to the relevant post as they become available in the thread, just for easier access.
2009–10
Blue Square Premier 3rd, 90 points. Playoffs WON, Semi final 3-2 agg. v. Mansfield, Final 2-2 (4-2 pens) v. Cambridge. Promotion to Coca-Cola League 2.
FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying, Lost v. Histon 0-5
FA Trophy Semi Final, Lost v. Wrexham 2-3 agg.

2010–11
League 2 1st, 112 points. Automatic promotion to Coca-Cola League 1.
FA Cup 2nd Round, Lost @ Oldham 1-3.
Carling Cup 2nd Round, Lost @ Bristol City 1-2.
Johnstone's Paint Trophy South 1st Round, Lost v. Swindon 2-2 (4-5 pens)

2011–12
League 1 1st, 121 points. Automatic promotion to Coca-Cola Championship.
FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost @ Leicester 0-1.
Carling Cup 1st Round, Lost v. Q.P.R. 1-3
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final, Lost v. Leeds

2012–13
Championship 1st, 102 points. Automatic promotion to Premier League.
FA Cup 4th Round, Lost @ Tottenham 0-3.
Carling Cup Semi Final, Lost v. Sunderland 2-4.

2013–14
Premier League 5th, 64 points. Qualified for UEFA Europa League.
FA Cup 4th Round, Lost @ Ipswich 1-2.
Carling Cup 3rd Round, Lost @ Nottingham Forest 1-2.

2014–15 (currently in October)
Premier League 13th, 11 points.
UEFA Europa League Group stage, qualified for knockout stages.
FA Cup Not entered yet.
Carling Cup Not entered yet.​

Last edited:
Nice layout, just what a story needs.

Congrats on promotions so far, looking to be another. Go get that Premier League (H)

kt_s1outset.jpg

Straight into the thick of things...

I came to the job one match into the preseason, so I hurried to get rid of the original staff and hire some better ones. Well, marginally better, anyway. Although the preseason games didn't go all that well, I thought we were decently prepared and that our squad was able to compete for promotion. Into the season we go!

If you're looking for screenshots of transfers and such, look at the bottom of this post.

ALL MATCHES ARE BLUE SQUARE PREMIER MATCHES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.

August 2009
@ Forest Green 2-0 DEMPSTER 48' 55' – A good start to the match ensured stability, we passed it around well, tackled well and created a few chances. When they went down to ten men, we were able to pick them apart with relative ease.
v. Oxford 2-2 JUANITO 14' BONNES 29' – An even match where we just were more clinical than them. Until the 93rd minute, when they equalised off a ridiculous 30-yard strike. I didn't know the BSP had players capable of stuff like that :/.
v. Wimbledon 0-1 – One of those matches where you dominate possession, shots on target and still lose off a penalty or in other dubious circumstances, this was.
@ Kidderminster 2-1 MARNA 46' SPENCER 90+1' – We dominated many aspects of this game, yet still were only 1-0 up at the death, and as we entered stoppage time they scored. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- oh wait, we scored, allright! Bullet dodged. 3 points in the bag.
@ Wrexham 1-0 WRACK 4' – An arduous task keeping Wrexham at bay throughout the match, but we managed to return from Wales with another 3 points in the bag.
v. Luton 1-1 FOWLER 19' – A decent result considering we were a long shot before the match to win it at odds 5.00, so I'll take the point happily and move forward.
@ Mansfield 0-0 – Another one where a draw wasn't really too bad, considering the pre-match comments about us. Futhermore, we played this one just 3 days after the tough Luton game which meant that physically, we couldn't really bring our best.

BSP 7th, 16 points.
Awards PotM: D C John Dempster 1st. GotM: M C Lee Fowler 3rd.

September 2009
v. Altrincham 1-1 SPENCER 10' – Another late equaliser conceded, which is... really annoying. We dominated the game and should really have nicked 3-4 goals in the first half and another handful of chances went begging in the second, which isn't really annoying as much as it is infuriating. Dudes need to stop blasting the ball at the keepers legs when they're 1on1, that really makes my blood boil.
v. Gateshead 2-0 THELWELL 9' MCMANAMAN 90+4' – Despite the low score, we dominated this match and had a few goals called back due to a few close call offside decisions. We finished with 10 men, but still kept the pressure on right to the end.
@ Crawley 2-1 MCMANAMAN 4' ANTONIOL 39' – We opened up a 2-0 lead in the first half, first through an excellent goal from loanee ST McManaman and then with a debut goal from Italian playmaker Antoniol, who had been somewhat disappointing up until this point.
v. Barrow 2-0 TAYLOR 55' ROPER 90+4' – Walk in the park. Ball security and quality throughout ensured an easy day at the office.
v. Ebbsfleet 3-0 BONNES 15' BOUCAUD 29' MCMANAMAN 51' – See above.
@ Hayes & Yeading 2-0 MCMANAMAN 25' BONNES 35' – See above (2) :D

BSP 2nd, 29 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. GotM: ST Callum McManaman 2nd.

October 2009

@ Eastbourne Boro 2-1 BONNES 1' MCMANAMAN 8'– We scored after just 16 seconds, which is probably the fastest I've ever scored in FM, so that's something to take from this match. We were under siege throughout the second half though but held a 2-1 lead for 80 minutes, so that's very positive as well, and we are currently the least scored upon side in the BSP.
@ Wimbledon 0-0 – We were unable to avenge our only loss of the season so far. We outplayed Wimbledon again, but both my main strikers went down with injuries, which meant many chances went begging for better execution.
FA CUP 4TH RND QUAL v. Histon 0-5 – Two things led to me losing this one and as badly as I did. I forgot to tick that little "can play in cup matches" for my awesome loanees, which meant 3 stellar performing starters and a sub were out. Also, injuries to a handful of key players. That meant 6 or 7 were some of the worst players in the game. Also, Histon were the toughest draw I could possibly have gotten. /wrists.
v. Wrexham 2-0 BOUCAUD 17' WRACK 77'– A nervy second half as we appeared to dial it a bit down, but a few choice subs greatly improved our quality for some 20 minutes time, which was all that was needed to get the second goal and some room to operate in order to seal a victory and our fourteenth unbeaten match in the league.
v. Stevenage 3-1 JUANITO 5' 39' MCMANAMAN 36' – Juanito finally showed the quality I knew was hidden somewhere beneath all the mediocre performances he's given. We methodically picked apart Stevenage today, and our defense runs a very, very tight ship.

BSP 3rd, 39 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 3rd.

November 2009
v. Kidderminster 2-1 TAYLOR 19' BOUCAUD 71' – We catch a break as our second goal was miles offside, but really it's got to be karma. We still very much deserved the win. In other news, Chester, who started the season with -25 points, have finally gone into the positive. Well, actually they're exactly at 0, but still: congratulations! One has to empathise with their plight.
v. Hayes & Yeading 2-0 BONNES 19' 30' – A very, very easy game where we could have had a real hockey score on our hands.
@ Altrincham 0-0 – Very much two points dropped here and a chance to have gone top of the league missed. However, the fixture congestion really bit us in the *** here as we were unable to do anything at all in the second half, and even though we bombarded their goal, we were on the back foot for most of the second, but our stout defense held strong throughout to secure at least a point.

BSP
5th, 46 points.

December 2009

@ Luton 1-2 BONNES 26' – Our 18 match unbeaten streak came to an end today, and it coincided with the first time we've ever conceded more than one goal. We were up against a strong Luton side, but I feel that had we been able to field our strongest side, we would have snagged at least a point, but our lack of quality up front was apparent, as we were without ST McManaman. The ineptitude of ST Gilles Sunu and ST Juanito is quickly becoming apparent, but without any funds whatsoever, it'll be tough to do anything about it in January at least.
v. Salisbury 3-0 BONNES 5' 73' ANTONIOL 52' – A very managable game this was and we dispatched Salisbury very easily, bombarding their goal and having more than a few shots blocked off the line.
@ Cambridge 0-2 – When you get beaten 2-0 by a side a man down you know you've had a rough day. We didn't could do diddly-poo offensively and defensively, for the first time this season, we were truly in shambles, we couldn't hold a decent line, their long through balls kept connecting and our keeper didn't play up to scratch either.
FA TROPHY 1ST RND @ Corby 2-0 MCMANAMAN 27' 71' – Hopefully the FA Trophy is where Gilles Sunu will shine, because he ain't worth a **** thing in the league.
@ Gateshead 3-3 SUNU 25' MCMANAMAN 32' WRACK 90+1' – A nervewracking match where we went from down to in front to behind again shortly before the end of regulation but mercifully snatched a winner in stoppage time through substitute Wrack. Sunu finally put in a good performance in the league and got himself a goal, too, so fair play to him. This would be a great time for him to come into his own, as my striker situation is still a bit iffy, especially if McManaman were to go down.
v. Tamworth 2-1 ANTONIOL 6' TAIT OG 30' – Grinding out wins like these are so vital to our chances if we are to contend for promotion, but that still looks very much on the cards.
@ Histon 2-1 SUNU 23' MCMANAMAN 35'– Beforehand, this match looked like a tough way to close out the year, and we did have our back and forths, but really we controlled much of the match and it would have been heartbreaking had we dropped points in this game.

BSP 3rd, 56 points.

January 2010
@ Tamworth 4-0 MCMANAMAN 20' ANTONIOL 42' 47' JUANITO 74' – A magnificent game on our part as we dominated all aspects of the game. Defensively, we looked a lot more like the side that only let in about 0.5 goals/game throughout the first 4 months of the season and less like the December side that really looked shoddy and able to concede at any time. Sunu shone in this one as well and he actually looks like a viable option these days beside the ever terrific McManaman. ****, I love that guy.
FA TROPHY 2ND RND @ Bedford 1-1 SUNU 39' – An abject performance from more than a few players today, especially second half substitute McManaman, who for the first time this season looked absolutely out of place. Sunu, on the other hand, is beginning to look like a player, finally. Annoyingly, this draw creates a bit of fixture congestion in a place when we really could have used the entire week to prepare for the derby against Rushden. Also, the draw for the next round has pitted us against the toughest opposition imaginable: Oxford, who are currently top of the league, _14_ points in front of us in second.
FA TROPHY 2ND RND REPLAY v. Bedford 3-0 WRACK 12' BONNES 33' SUNU 83' – That's more like it. A polished performance as we run the show from first minute to last.
v. Rushden 3-0 WRACK 6' SUNU 25' MCNAMARA OG 90' – And so the long road of bettering my success at Rushden begins by thoroughly dominating the team I took to the glittering lights of continental Europe. Our performance today was probably our most wholesome and controlling we've had all season. Our defense played like they were on a mission, allowing them only 4 shots, none of which were on target. Up front Sunu again had a great, great game and Antoniol backed him up excellently while curiously McManaman struggled again, scuttling more than a few chances. Still, with 12 shots on target, we must have done something right up front. 3 points, onwards!
v. Cambridge 4-1 MCMANAMAN 9' SUNU 45' BONNES 54' THELWELL 63' (pen.) – When they went in front inside the first 5 minutes, I thought back to the humiliating defeat earlier in the season where we lost quite badly against a 10-man Cambridge side, but our response to the early goal was fantastic and it was great to see McManaman on form again.
@ Stevenage 2-2 BONNES 89' FOWLER 90+1' – It was truly annoying to go behind twice due to momentaneous lapses in concentration from the defense when we were really the better side throughout, but two late late goals secure us a point, which is oh so sweet.
vs. Crawley 1-1 SARIC 34' – Again we defended poorly in many instances and were lucky a few times not to go behind further behind, but the still somewhat sharp reflexes and safe hands of Italian GK Bandieri kept us in it. It looked a relatively easy job before the match and we really should have bagged the full three points against this side, but a tired side and a hardworking Crawley side meant we could only ****** the one. A highlight of the match was a first goal for short-term loanee ST Nikola Saric from Liverpool.
FA TROPHY 3RD RND v. Oxford 1-0 BONNES 49' – A hard fought match, but we were definitely the better side, and although the scoreline indicates a tight game, our chances outnumbered theirs greatly. Our display here bodes well for our further chances in the tournament, as Oxford was definitely the best team in the competition.

BSP 2nd, 67 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 3rd. GotM: Enrico Antoniol 2nd.

February 2010
v. York 1-1 BONNES 47' – Ugh... Don't you just hate those matches where you boss the game entirely but only get that one goal lead and then they score on a stupid dead ball situation in the last 5 minutes of the game? Yeah, me too. Sunu also picked up an injury, which is... somewhat annoying. The FA Trophy draw kicked up another home game against rivals Rushden. We're facing Rushden away in the league the following week, so these are exciting times.
@ Ebbsfleet 1-1 JUANITO 67' – A decent result against a hard playing Ebbsfleet side where our fatigue played a big part in making it such a tough game. All strikers had a lot of misfires, but Juanito's goal was a peach, curling in a shot from a corner of the area.
@ Barrow 3-0 SARIC 56' THELWELL 65' (pen.) BONNES 75' – A very good performance in arduous playing conditions. On a soggy pitch and in pouring rain we battled valiantly throughout the 90 minutes and had 3 points, and goals, to show for it in the end.
v. Grays 3-0 SARIC 18' BONNES 72' 83'– A walk in the park against lowly Grays was enlivened when Stéphane Bonnes, that crazy frog *******, hit a 35-yard free kick perfectly and banged it into the top corner. Beautiful! In-form ST Saric got a knock though and will be out for 3 weeks. Sadface.
FA TROPHY 4TH RND v. Rushden 5-1 CAROLE OG 2' JUANITO 29' BONNES 38' WILLIAMS 42 MCMANAMAN 80' – Wow. We seem to really have Rushden by the balls, which Kettering totally don't IRL, I think they've won 1 out of 12 meetings or something like that, so that's something. A good performance from everyone involved, no complacency setting in once we're 3-0 up and their goal wasn't due to some stupid lapse of concentration, so that's another positive. What isn't positive is that ST Juanito got a season-ending injury.
@ Rushden 1-3 NOUBISSIÉ 4' – Wow. So we start great, I think Rushden are just going to lie down again. Mistake. Devil possessed Sam Smith fires a hat-trick and leaves me cursing the incredible nuisance that is the unpredictability of football.

BSP 2nd, 75 points.

March 2010
v. Chester 5-0 MCMANAMAN 11' ANTONIOL 35' 43' THELWELL 66' BONNES 75' – Scoreline speaks for itself really, they never even got close.
@ Oxford 0-1 – Bullshit penalty decision deep into added-on time. Oxford are apparently the Man U.'s of the BSP.
FA TROPHY SEMI FINAL 1ST LEG @ Wrexham 0-3 – This fixture congestion **** is some serious bullcrap. You can't compete if all your players are tired, simple as.
v. Forest Green 3-1 SUNU 6' THELWELL 15' (pen.) ANTONIOL 53' – Welcome back Gilles Sunu! We basically outplayed and outperformed Forest Green, and they only got on the scoresheet when we conceded an unlucky own goal.
FA TROPHY SEMI FINAL 2ND LEG v. Wrexham 2-0 THELWELL 42' (pen.) SUNU 75' – We really should have scored at least 5 or 6. The amounts of shots cleared off their line was just ridiculous. /wrists. Well, just one less trophy to worry about.
v. Mansfield 1-1 KINGTON 71' – We started brightly, but then, one dead ball situation later, we were behind. Which is hugely annoying. What isn't so annoying is one's new loan signing scoring on his debut as a substitute.

BSP 2nd, 82 points.
Awards PotM: Enrico Antoniol 1st. GotM: Enrico Antoniol 3rd.

April 2010
@ Grays 5-3 CYWKA 36' AYALA 52' MCMANAMAN 61' 74' FOWLER 84' – Thank **** for M C Tomasz Cywka. His brilliance today really lifted us. 2-0 down before the break, I didn't have high hopes, but thanks to Cywka's 30-yard thunderbolt and his two assists to McManaman later we were able to pull out with a win and with that a playoff spot.
v. Histon 3-5 BONNES 22' CYWKA 28' MCMANAMAN 67' – I'm getting really annoyed with Histon knocking five goals past our defense every time they come to visit. Both times, it has to be said, I've had to field sub-sub-sub-sub-par sides and tired players due to fixture congestion, but even that wouldn't be an excuse for the back four today, even though it was just TWO days after our match at Grays.. I've seen my under-18 sides get hammered 14-0 by Barcelona in friendly cups and those defenses could have done a lot better today. I don't mind conceding if it's due to the brilliance of the opponents, but none of Histon's goals could be considered products of great build-up and team play, just ineptitude of our defense. *sigh*
@ Chester 0-0 – Pretty much just reserves playing due to a great deal of injuries/suspensions and just resting starters to not get any more injuries. Still can't believe how many chances we McManaman wasted, though.
v. Eastbourne Boro 3-1 SUNU 18' 44' BONNES 45+1' – Just another day at the office. Made it through without any injuries.
@ Salisbury 1-1 SUNU 36' – Not so lucky this time, as Bonnes picked up a knock that'll keep him out for 3 weeks and Alton Thelwell will be out for 2 weeks. ****. On the upside, Juanito has recovered quicker than was expected, but probably won't feature until the final, if we get past Mansfield.

BSP 3rd, 90 points.
Awards YPotM: Gilles Sunu 2nd.

May 2010
BLUE SQUARE PREMIER PLAYOFFS

We go into the business end of the season having ended the regular season not so well, dropping a few matches due to resting some people and injuries. However, this is a new competition entirely and although we are probably not the hottest team going into the playoffs, I must say I fancy our chances, especially if we can keep the same squad throughout and not lose any key players to injuries.

BSP PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL 1ST LEG @ Mansfield 1-1 MCMANAMAN 35' – Not a bad base for the return leg. All square, but with that away goal as well. About the match, we probably should have won it but our clinicalness wasn't all too great, which probably had something to do with the less than great field conditions, which also caused a few niggles with the players. The biggest casualty was cypriot D L Tom Williams, who will be out for the remainder of the playoffs.
BSP PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL 2ND LEG v. Mansfield 2-1 JUANITO 68' CYWKA 87' – Phew! Nothing like knockout football for some excitement! We went down early in the second half, which prompted me to bring on Juanito, who had just become available in mid-week, and he was almost an instantaneous goalscorer when he came on and besides a very well taken goal, he had a few shots against the woodwork. Cywka was the architect behind many of our better chances and when he got a chance to score himself, he took it swiftly and sent Mansfield back home and Kettering through to the playoff final, where we will face off against Cambridge.

BSP PLAYOFF FINAL v. Cambridge 2-2 (4-2 pens) CYWKA 43' JUANITO 76' – We made it! Ahhhh! Let it be known, there is nothing more nervewracking in life than a penalty shootout. Well, where you're emotionally invested, it's great sport otherwise. Ah, the match. Well, we got off to a great, if a bit nervy, start. Creating chances but scuppering them wide or losing possession at the crucial moment, but again the combination of M C Tomasz Cywka and born-again ST Juanito was key as they combined well on many occassions in the second half. A great goalkeeping performance from veteran GK Alessio Bandieri, who only just made it back in time for the playoffs, was also key as he made several amazing saves throughout the 120 extra minutes plus the eventual save that secured our promotion. And with that, Kettering have finally won a Blue Square Premier playoff final after five tries and will compete in the Football League for the first time in their history. Screenshot of the match report below.

kt_bspplayoffbracket.png
View attachment 36339

End of season stats, awards and screenshots o' plenty!

Manager of the Year Yours truly 2nd.
Players in Players' Team of the Year ST Stéphane Bonnes
Top goalscorer ST Stéphane Bonnes (21)
Assists leader ST Stéphane Bonnes (16)
Man of match ST Stéphane Bonnes (7)
Highest avg. rating D C John Dempster (41 Apps, 7.26 Av R)
Player of the season ST Stéphane Bonnes (40 Apps, 21 Gls, 16 Asts, 7 MoM, 7.42 Av R)
Young player of the season (U-21) ST Callum McManaman (44 Apps, 19 Gls, 5 Asts, 5 MoM, 7.03 Av R)
Fans' Player of the Year ST Stéphane Bonnes
Best signing of the season Tomasz Cywka (9 Apps, 4 Gls, 5 Asts, 0 MoM, 7.36 Av R) – Inspired loan signing very late in the season when we really needed an extra boost to get us through the playoffs in convincing fashion. Bonnes was undoubtedly the cog around which everything rotated, but without Cywka I doubt we would have been promoted.

Screenshots

In order: League table (BSP), Fixture list of 18 game unbeaten stretch, Player of the season/Top goalscorer/Assists leader ST Stéphane Bonnes, Best signing of the season M C Tomasz Cywka, Final transfers for 09–10 season
View attachment 36349 View attachment 36350 View attachment 36347 View attachment 36348 View attachment 36351

Last edited:
finally a story that has actually progressed before being written. almost got to the end of my tether with:

''hi im (insert club name)'s new manager. i want to get to europe in 2 seasons. heres my pre season results:

*screenie of pre season*

updates soon! please follow.''

rant over, good achievements so far. if you make it to the championship you will need a lot of new players to keep you there.

I copy and paste Sams post :)

Good luck with this mate ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments so far, I hope you'll find interesting and worth following. Do let me know if you think I should do anything differently. I've thought of doing just monthly reports with key matches singled out and described thoroughly. I've already written up the next 2 seasons though, so that wouldn't be until my fourth season probably.

Blue Square Premier post up now. League 2 will be up in some time. As you can see, there is quite a bit of formatting to be done.

Good story mate i am trying to do the same thing with Gateshead only on my second season though and topping league two so far. i will follow yours to see how you get on :p

I love the layout & your Kettering sig
Good Luck :)

ygk4lrx

The adventure continues...
Part 2 of our quest to reach the heights of English football continues with the first appearance in the Football League for Kettering Town. During the offseason, domestic season long loan deals were agreed with D RC Gavin Hoyte (Arsenal), M C Fran Mérida (Arsenal), M C Barry Bannan (Aston Villa) and ST Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea).

Joining on a permanent basis on free transfers are D C Héctor Verdés (previously at Barcelona Atlètic), GK Nicolas Cousin (previously at US Créteil-Lusitanos), GK Ablade Osei (previously at FC Twente).

Full transfer history screenshot can be found at the bottom of this post.

ALL MATCHES ARE COCA-COLA LEAGUE 2 MATCHES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.

August 2010
@ Stockport 1-2 ANTONIOL 50' – An inauspicious start for our League 2 campaign as we could and should have gotten a point from this match. We went behind in the first minute of the match, and generally looked a bit shaken throughout the first half. In the second half, though, we came back on strongly and had several big chances. We were eventually undone by a penalty, but this was not a bad start, performance-wise, although the result may lead you to think otherwise.
LEAGUE CUP 1ST RND @ Crystal Palace 2-1 THELWELL 90+1' ANTONIOL 90+3' – Wow! A win away from home against Championship opposition, you gotta love underdogs beating the "big boys" in the cups. Actually a very even match when you consider that we had an equal amount of chances, and although they had more possession, we continually looked dangerous when we were around their area. I thought we were unlucky not to be level when we entered the dying stages and I really thought the game was past us, but lo and behold we valiantly keep fighting and press on to get the equaliser, and from then on we were just looking for a mistake from them to take advantage of. We got one, and Antoniol played it beautifully, placing the ball in the far corner under pressure – beautiful!
@ Chesterfield 1-1 JUANITO 89' – A frustrating one to draw, as we were clearly the better team on the field, but just lacked a bit in the finishing department. I'm still very much in the market for a clinical finisher, but they're not that easy to come by in League 2 it has be to be said.
v. Bury 4-0 LUKAKU 2' 70' ANTONIOL 28' RABAH 62' – Romelu effing Lukaku. Not a minute on the pitch and he's dancing around defenders, making them look silly, the next minute he's scored and the game is effectively sealed right then and there. We limited Bury to 3 shots all day, none on target. We were heaps better than them and we showed it throughout the 90 minutes.
v. Grimsby 5-1 DIEYE 12' 76' LUKAKU 17' ANTONIOL 35' VERDÉS 45+2' – We went down inside the first five minutes thanks to an offside goal, but almost immediately struck back and dominated every aspect of the game, except for possession (43 %) which we're apparently not that good at. A massive game for Abdou Dieye, who had 3 assists to go with his brace, which bodes well for the Dieye-Lukaku partnership, if they can both disrupt defenses as a creative player and a finisher.
LEAGUE CUP 2ND RND @ Bristol City 1-2 ANTONIOL 31' – The gulf in quality was clear from the kickoff, but we still fought hard for an equaliser until the end, but it just wasn't meant to be. I'm not that bothered to be honest, as the League Cup was probably the hardest competition to compete in, considering seeds and only league teams are involved.
@ Crewe Alexandra 1-3 BANNAN 89' – Words do not even begin to describe how little the scoreline reflected the game. One of those FM matches that just leave you extremely frustrated at how the engine works due to the absolute ridiculous misses again and again and...
JPT S 1ST RND v. Swindon 2-2 (4-5 pens) BONNES 19' DIEYE 36' (pen.) – After controlling the match and keeping Swindon very much at bay in the first half, we just fell apart completely in the second, giving the ball away as soon as we made a tackle, which put the defense under constant pressure and unable to get anything going offensively. An extremely frustrating result, as the game should have been done by halftime.

L2 10th, 7 points.
Awards PotM: Romelu Lukaku 2nd. YPotM: Romelu Lukaku 2nd. GotM: Abdou Dieye 1st.

September 2010
v. Lincoln 5-1 LUKAKU 2' DIEYE 9' 37' 40' ANTONIOL 29' – Pure symphony up front, it really was harmonious from the "front three" in my 4-4-2 diamond setup. Dieye and Lukaku's interplay on breaks is really a joy to watch sometimes. Now, I know this was Lincoln, but there is no doubt in my mind if we can just get some consistency in our performances and not having to rotate too much, I think we'll definitely be in the upper echelons of the table this season.
v. Shrewsbury 2-2 DIEYE 21' ANTONIOL 60' – 17 shots on target for me. 3 for them. 2 points dropped in a major way as once again, FM proves that it just ******* sucks sometimes. That just doesn't happen. It does not. Not not not. So I also got a touchline ban for calling the bullshit ref out on a stupid-*** penalty in the first 15 minutes, which just was not there – at all.
@ Macclesfield 3-0 BANNAN 18' LUKAKU 68' CABALLERO 79' – How the Shrewsbury game should have gone, we dominated chances and sucked in possession but our quality on the ball is undeniable at the moement. Never a second was the game in doubt and we could have knocked 6 or 7 past them today if we were really flying high. Routine win – 3 points. I like it!
@ Burton 1-0 BANNAN 90+3' – A last-gasp winner in a match that really was otherwise destined to be a 0-0 stalemate. I am very pleased with our "90 minutes and extra time" never-say-die spirit, and we have showed many times that we're a threat right up to the final whistle. I have to say it was in somewhat controversial circumstances that we scored, as one of their players went down with a niggle right before we scored and we just played on. However, the opposing teams do that with my players all the ****** time, so I have to say I don't mind it one bit.
v. Carlisle 2-1 LUKAKU 19' MÉRIDA 31' – Fran Mérida finally got involved in the goalscoring and was a great help to getting us all three points against Carlisle, who before season's start were tipped to be strongly contending for the "title", whilst we were tipped as coming in second-to-last. Well, they are now 20th and we are now 2nd.

L2 2nd, 20 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. YPotM: Romelu Lukaku 1st. PotM: Abdou Dieye 3rd. GotM: Abdou Dieye 3rd.

October 2010
@ Torquay 0-0 – All the subs had to be used for players lost to injuries and fatigue, so it was hard to switch it around up front and we paid the price with more than a few good chances wasted, and although we were probably the better team overall we did have a few close calls at the back, so a draw was a decent result away from home. Dieye is set to come back within a week, so that'll hopefully be a huge boost in the goal department, where we've struggled in the last few weeks.
v. Northampton 3-2 JUANITO 13' 58' CABALLERO 90+3' (pen.) – Turns out Juanito was perfectly capable to continue for a week more up front, and this time he repaid the confidence by glorious stucking two goals in the back of their net. On the other end, I played young Ghanaian GK Osei in goal, and he did rather well for himself, even though we conceded two goals. Attribute-wise he generally looks a better keeper than Cousin, so let's hope that can calm our defense down a bit.
v. Port Vale 3-1 DIEYE 20' TUIA 34' JUANITO 73' – Osei decision definitely paid dividends in this match, as he was named Man of the Match. We were pressured early and that paid off for them as third-string right back Sergio Cano commited a stupid penalty, which they duly converted. From then on, though, we were simply a better side than they were and we hit them quickly on the break with Dieye scoring an awesome goal in his first game back. Vérdes had to come off in the middle of the first half, but almost instantly, his substitute, Alessandro Tuia, rose highest from a corner and claimed our second goal. Our last goal also came from a corner, but through an unlikely source – Juanito – who, at 1.78m, probably isn't ideal for the situation, but he rose and headed home a looping header from outside of the area. Imagine the smile disappearing from my face when he was injured 10 minutes later. He's now out for at least a month, which leaves me only Bonnes available apart from the starting strikers.
@ Accrington Stanley 1-0 DIEYE 24' – We go top of the league as we grind out a win against bottomfeeders Accrington, and although the scoreline perhaps doesn't show it, it would have been a crime had we not gotten the 3 points. But then again, football (and FM) doesn't always honor that, so we were as fortunate to have had one of our better defensive games as we were unfortunate not to have knocked 3 or 4 past them.
v. Barnet 4-1 COLE OG 39' LA ROCCA 56' LUKAKU 64' DIEYE 68' – A great second half performance more than cancelled out a dreadful first, where we looked all over the place, rarely completing more than two passes in a row. Generally, we looked shifty at the back and we didn't create a **** thing up front. Second half, we dominated possession and passed a lot better, which led to a plethora of chances. We didn't score a lot though, which had a bit to do with uneasy performances from the front two, although they both scored in the end, and a lot to do with their keeper, who, and I'm not overexaggerating, was Man of the Match by a HUGE stretch. Even with him "scoring" an own goal, he still got a 7.9 rating. He might've gotten above 8.5 without it.

L2 1st, 33 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st.

FA CUP 1ST RND v. Mansfield 3-0 CABALLERO 18' DIEYE 36' LUKAKU 67' – Yep, the FA Cup draw threw up a re-play of the BSP Playoff Semifinal, where we ousted Mansfield 3-2 on aggregate. We dispensed with them with relative ease this time as we outplayed them for all 90 minutes and they rarely got a shot in goal, and when they did, Osei had an easy time picking the chances out.
@ Wycombe 5-1 MÉRIDA 4' 28' DIEYE 33' 43' BANNAN 57' – In what can only be described by a confident showing from the league leaders, we utterly destroyed Wycombe in the first half and coasted admirably in the second half, still creating chances whilst we sat back and controlled the game. I can have no complaints about their goal, which was something of a wonder goal, a 25-yard half-volleyed goal from the brilliantly named "Mousinho". I checked him out after the game, turns out he has a "long shots" attribute of 4. No ****, FM?
v. Darlington 5-0 DIEYE 13' 21' 78' LUKAKU 44' CABALLERO 87' – News story during the week: "Kettering Town striker Abdou Dieye has revealed that the recent media speculation is having an unsettling affect." So either the "No pressure!" pre-game talk is a magic button or he wasn't really that bothered. Unfortunately, he is now also out for two weeks. Give the guy a break.
@ Aldershot 1-0 MÉRIDA 23' – We lacked that clinical edge we've had in recent weeks, but we still got the W, and that is definitely the most important thing, as we still created loads of chances and played sharp D. Annoyingly, now also Antoniol is out for about 2 weeks.
FA CUP 2ND RND @ OLDHAM 1-3 MÉRIDA 77' – Due to injuries and the upcoming top league game against Oxford in three days time, I decided to just get rid of the FA Cup distraction and fielded a left back and a defensive midfielder as my strikers and just let it play out. Not that Oldham would have been easy to overcome had we been injury-free, but I just didn't bother losing anyone to injury at this point.
v. Oxford 1-1 BANNAN 73' – A highly unjust result, this was. Let it be known, Oxford are a bunch of fouling arsebandits, and if they are your team, you're an arsebandit as well. They purposely fouled my players every single time we got the ball and injured 4 players. Then they scored off a ridiculous corner which was just a scramble. I know it sounds like I'm just whinging, but they seriously played like the Greek national side, which is about as anti-football as you can get.

L2 1st, 43 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. YPotM: Fran Mérida 1st, Barry Bannan 3rd. PotM: Abdou Dieye 3rd.

December 2010
@ Bournemouth 2-0 LUKAKU 45+2' MÉRIDA 59' – We look as confident as ever and having the midfield pop up with a few goals here and there will surely serve us well going into the tough months ahead, if we can keep it up.
v. Bristol Rovers 1-1 LUKAKU 53' – Another one of those matches where we dominated everything and just lacked that finishing touch. They then also score on their only chance of the game, which is just so frustrating but had it happened towards the end of the game instead of within the first 10, it would have been much harder to bear.
@ Morecambe 3-0 MÉRIDA 33' 74' ANTONIOL 62' – We looked a bit shaky still for most of the first half and it looked like it would be a close game until about 10 minute after the second half had started and Morecambe was just gifting us possession and not being able to make anything happen up front. Mérida and Antoniol provided the goals as Lukaku played the part of assistmaker on two occassions and although Juanito was generally causing problems for their center backs, he had a few miscues, but I won't expect too much of him so quickly after his return from injury.
v. Hereford 2-0 BANNAN 54' ANTONIOL 81' – Nothing to say really, we just dominated from start to finish. A no-frills win, just the way I like it!
v. Chesterfield 2-0 JUANITO 38' VERDÉS 44' – Despite going into the match heavily fatigued, having played Hereford just two days previously, we played a stellar first half, passing it around with great poise and patience, waiting for the opportunities to come to us. It was a different kind of win for us in the sense that I felt we neither knocked them flat on their ***, bombarding their goal, nor grinded out a win, which implies we weren't fully in control of the match.

We end the year firmly in 1st place on a 19-match unbeaten run in the league, which we will look to extend the following weeks. A lot has to go horribly wrong if we are to miss promotion this year.

L2 1st, 56 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. PotM: Fran Mérida 2nd. YPotM: Fran Mérida 3rd.

View attachment 36519

January 2011
@ Bury 1-0 BONNES 77' – Well, in this one we definitely grinded out a win! We were hounded by niggly injuries that further compounded the players' fatigue. We scored on the single big chance we had all game and Bury will be aggrieved about that, since we weren't really all that much better than they were today, although I think I've saved up *quite* a bit for one of those. However, I will definitely take the W, as it just widens our gap down to our pursuers and starting the new year with 3 points is very pleasing. As for those injuries, it will keep D RLC La Rocca, DM C Rabah, Lukaku and D L Hélan out for the 3 weeks. That's basically just half my starters, just ******* dandy!
v. Stockport 1-0 BONNES 48' – That makes it five clean sheets, 553 minutes to be exact, and we are still creating heaps of chances. Not so much a grinding it out victory nor a particularly controlled match, but I felt we were the stronger team and we were rewarded in the end with all 3 points. I would like an extra striker brought in to just ease up the workload up front, not to mention both starting strikers are loanees. An injury to D C Alessandro Tuia makes our back four rather light as well at the moment.
@ Grimsby 1-1 ANTONIOL 6' – Considering we went down to ten men, following the most haphazard tackle I've yet seen on FM, this was a very good result. Although we still played reasonably well, still creating a few chances, we were put under tremendous pressure by Grimsby following the sending off and Osei in goal was probably Man of the Match, although his own private little unbeaten run ended today, along with Gavin Hoyte and Héctor Verdés who led the team in tackles and headers won respectively.
v. Crewe Alexandra 1-0 BONNES 20' – We controlled the match and made them pay on one of the few opportunities we had early on. We could and should have extended our lead a few times throughout, but it really didn't matter as we snuffed out any chances Crewe had quickly as they came into our area, thanks to another strong performance from Héctor Verdés.
@ Shrewsbury 3-1 MÉRIDA 28 MIGUET 73' 75' – It looked a very even match until the last 30 minutes, when Juanito, Bonnes and Antoniol (front three) were all brought off and Dieye made his first appearance back along with loanees ST Romain Miguet and AM C Christian Pasquato. We immediately looked more dynamic up front, especially through Dieye's breakneck speed runs. He also claimed a wonderful assist on his first game back.
v. Burton 3-0 DIEYE 47' 57' BANNAN 48' – It was truly the Barry Bannan and Abdou Dieye show today, as they took turns assisting and scoring goals. Miguet had a few chances as well, but mainly the combination that proved most lethal was the Bannan-to-Dieye or vice versa. Following this match, I secured a permanent deal with Dieye, as I have no doubts he can be a major disruptive force in League 1 as well.

L2 1st, 72 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. YPotM: Fran Mérida 1st.

February 2011
@ Lincoln 2-1 MIGUET 48' JUANITO 65' – Another good game from Bannan as he provided the assist for the opening goal and was a key figure all afternoon as we overcame a resilient Lincoln side.
v. Macclesfield 7-0 DIEYE 3' 21' 26' BANNAN 30' ANTONIOL 32' MIGUET 37' LUKAKU 51' – Wow. 7 goals in 51 minutes. I substituted Dieye after half an hour, with him having amassed a rating of 9.2, just for fear of losing him to some stupid injury again, and we still kept firing away. Also a dear welcome back to Romelu Lukaku, which surely puts our strike force back as the best in the league. Not that we sorely missed him, having now gone 27 games unbeaten, but it's just reassuring to have such quality up front. Miguet also is a smooth finisher at times, who along with Juanito gives us a very strong bench indeed.
@ Carlisle 2-2 MÉRIDA 35' MIGUET 51' – An unfortunate equaliser for them in the 70th minute as Osei decided he should try to clear a ball by the sideline, but half way there he clearly had a change of heart and began walking (!?!) back towards his goal, which unfortunately was then unguarded, which allowed a simple shot to trickle in. Still, a draw away in a match this even is not a bad result.
@ Port Vale 2-0 ANTONIOL 19' POLDERVAART 62' (pen.) – A deserved victory but also a costly one as Barry Bannan was cut down (no, seriously, it was brutal) and he will be out for 4 months, ie. rest of the season. ****, that's hateful. Consider a rivalry started with Port Vale and some faggy Norwegian called Rocky Lekaj.

L2 1st, 82 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 3rd. YPotM: Fran Mérida 1st, Barry Bannan 2nd, Romain Miguet 3rd. PotM: Romain Miguet, 2nd.

March 2011
@ Northampton 1-0 DIEYE 67' – A truly terrible game, with not much quality from either team, that really was destined to be a scoreless draw, however a grave mistake by their keeper, wandering outside his area gave us the opportunity to go infront, and Dieye seized upon it like a hawk. 3 points. Few short-term injuries which leaves us a bit short in central midfield, but let's see what happens.
v. Accrington Stanley 2-0 ANTONIOL 3' LA ROCCA 35' – A game we dominated and although a third would have been nice just to cancel out all doubts, we were never ever threatened by Accrington.
@ Barnet 2-0 DIEYE 21' LUKAKU 52' – A fairly simple affair, and just as last time we faced Barnet, their phantom of a goalkeeper was by far the Man of the Match. We clocked in 11 shots on target, many of whom were quite clear cut, but he just denied us again and again, but eventually we broke them down.
v. Torquay 5-0 BOUCAUD 5' 73' LUKAKU 22' ANTONIOL 56' PASQUATO 84' – What's there to say? Utter dominance, a thorough demolition.
v. Wycombe 1-3 ANTONIOL 25' – *gasp* Wow.. Well, I guess it had to stop some time, but this was thoroughly unexpected. We thrashed Wycombe 5-1 when we faced them at their park, so I thought there was no way we could lose at home to them, but I have to say we rarely got a break, whilst they were quite fortuitous in their ability to score somewhat ridiculous goals. Not often were their goals a byproduct of our ineptitude, but rather just a collection of freak events in quick succession. That, or 30-yard strikes which no keeper alive could have delt with. At the other end, like I said we couldn't buy a break and shot after shot rammed against the post and out, trickled at the line but never over and blocked shots from a yard out. Alas, all good things must come to an end, and 33 games unbeaten is a great achievement, but here's to us replicating if just a bit of the consistency we have showed in League 2 in the upper levels. If we can accomplish that, we should be allright.

L2 1st, 94 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 2nd. YPotM: Romelu Lukaku 2nd.

April 2011
@ Darlington 3-1 ANTONIOL 12' MIGUET 81' PASQUATO 86' – Back on track with a dominant win where we controlled the entire game and hardly put a foot wrong throughout.
v. Aldershot 3-1 DIEYE 4' PASQUATO 75' ANTONIOL 89' – Even winning 3-1, I feel aggrieved as two perfectly good goals from Dieye and Lukaku respectively were falsely called back due to the linesman flagging for offside. As it's all stats and whether how much I will win by at this point, it's a bit annoying to throw away two goals like that. However, with this win, we cracked 100 points, right on the money in fact.
@ Oxford 1-0 TUIA 83' – A tight match where it was sure to come down to the wire, and although we had bigger chances, we needed to scrape a goal from an untidy affair that occured after a well-placed corner and Tuia was there a few yards out to slot it home for the game winner. We get another one over Oxford, who look to follow us up into League 1, which means we'll play at the same level three years running now.
v. Bournemouth 2-0 ANTONIOL 45+1' DIEYE 80' – Easy.
@ Bristol Rovers 1-3 MIGUET 46' – So FM is a terrible game, right? Yeah. Bristol kinda sucked, we sort of had some sort of irrational fear of putting the ball in the back of the net. I love it when that happens and they score from what was actually intended as a cross. Twice.
v. Morecambe 2-1 LUKAKU 72' PASQUATO 90' – A great injustice was righted towards the end of the match as we just hit framework and flesh every time we put a decent chance together and the one time they have a half-chance they convert brilliantly. That **** ain't right, but thankfully it didn't happen two matches in a row.

L2 1st, 109 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 2nd. PotM: Abdou Dieye 3rd.

May 2011
@ Hereford 1-0 LUKAKU 59' – We grind out a win, wasting numerous huge chances throughout, but eventually Lukaku managed to figure out that it goes in between the vertical poles with the netting attached to them and not beside them. It was a controlled affair, our defense holding strong throughout, not letting them near even half a chance, which was very refreshing to see after a few dodgy performances.

So that was it, our season ended with our 25th clean sheet, which was really the only way it should happen. We were top in just about every category this season. Highest scoring offense – check. Least scored-upon defense – check. That is a potent mix indeed and served us well as we quickly rose to the 1st place and held it. Boy, did we hold on to that throne when we finally reached it back in week 14. We ascended, kicked the help out and barricaded ourself in the highest tower of the castle, ocassionally slumping to a draw. When the league title and promotion was secured, we lost a bit of drive. That, along with more than a few key injuries, led to our unbeaten streak being broken. Still, it wasn't too shabby of a "title" run, as we ended up as League 2 champions, our closest pursuers a full 19 points behind us. I advise you to check out our goal difference, which is by far the favourite statistic about us this season. Screenshots are below.

End of season round up

League 2 1st, 112 points.
FA Cup Lost 2nd Rnd @ Oldham.
League Cup Lost 2nd Rnd @ Bristol City.
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Lost S 1st Rnd @ Swindon.
Yearly awards Manager of the Year Yours truly 1st. Kettering players in Players' Team of the Year: D C Héctor Verdés & M C Barry Bannan

Top goalscorer Abdou Dieye (25)
Assists leader Barry Bannan (16)
Most man of match Abdou Dieye (7)
Highest avg. rating Abdou Dieye - 7.48 (32 apps)
Player of the season Abdou Dieye (29 Apps, 23 Gls, 12 Asts, 6 MoM, 7.54 Av R)
Young player of the season (U-21) Barry Bannan (33 Apps, 8 Gls, 16 Asts, 4 MoM, 7.34 Av R)
Fans' Player of the Year Iacopo La Rocca (37 Apps, 2 Gls, 2 Asts, 3.35 Tck, 1 MoM, 7.21 Av R)
Best signing of the season Romelu Lukaku, Free loan (35 Apps, 15 Gls, 14 Asts, 1 MoM, 7.23 Av R) – Well, it was probably Dieye, but I just couldn't let Lukaku go without mentioning him, he was a major disruptive force in the first part of the season and he was really an instant upgrade to a shaky strike force. Also, he's so **** awesome in real life, destroys everything.
Worst signing of the season Raúl Caballero, Free (10 Apps, 3 Gls, 1 Asts, 0 MoM, 7.03 Av R) – Really none, but the least awesome (what?) was probably Caballero.
Stats, all competitions 51 matches played, 114 goals scored (2.2), 40 goals conceded (0.8), 45 yellow cards (0.9), 2 red cards (0.0), 3804 average attendance (6100 max capacity).

Screenshots

League table (about half way), Final league table, curve, final transfer history, Best Eleven, Romelu Lukaku
View attachment 36519 View attachment 36520 View attachment 36521 View attachment 36522 View attachment 36523 View attachment 36524

kt_s3outset.jpg

End of the road for some, a new beginning for others.

We begin our third season having undergone some drastic changes over the summer in terms of player movement. I firmly believe we had to do it so harshly, and if we are to entertain any hopes of fighting for promotion this year and remaining competitive in the future, a much higher class of players was sorely needed, even as backups.

Transfer dealings can be found at the bottom of this post as usual along with other screenshots, stats etc.

August 2011

@ Walsall 5-0 DIEYE 10' 42' 85' MURPHY 51' MAZZOTTA 58' (pen.) – Abdou Dieye follows up his terrific loan spell last year with hat-trick on his "second" debut as a Poppy. Rhys Murphy overcame jitters to beautifully slot home a perfect lobbed pass from Mérida in the beginning of the first half, which was pretty much the end of the game right there, as we were absolutely coasting from then on. That didn't stop us scoring an extra two goals. Mindblowing statistic of the game: Iacopo La Rocca dealt with 20 headers today. So you would think we topped the league already? Nope, 'fraid not. Preston were just a bit more lethal, as they swept aside Rochdale 8-1. Man, that is brutal.

LEAGUE CUP 1ST RND v. QPR 1-3 MURPHY 34' – The gulf in quality was apparent as we go out of the League Cup after getting the worst draw imaginable (well, it was at home, but nearly). I'm not that bothered to be honest, as I really just want to focus on the league and play as few games as possible.

@ Colchester 0-0 – We played a sloppy game apart from the 'keeper and the back 4, who were very effective today. Fatigue due to ridiculous fixture congestion and a massive injury list played a huge part in this and Faure got sent off as well after I'd used up all 3 subs (of course), which made a nil-nil draw a decent result. Interestingly, the Johnstone's Paint Trophy draw threw up the same matchup, so that'll be... great.

v. Exeter 2-1 BANNAN 76' MAZZOTTA 89' – After 70 minutes of pure suckage from our part, I switch the formation around to accomodate 5 midfielders, as we had no strikers left. Magic unfolds, Bannan hits them beautifully on the counter and Mazzotta hits a sweet half volley close to full time after Mérida's shot bounced off the crossbar. An unlikely win and we'll need to shock 'em all again in just 4 days (ugh...) when we play mighty Leeds at home.

v. Leeds 5-0 BANNAN 8' 17' (pen.) ANTONIOL 35' DIEYE 68' 73' – Wow! A very polished performance in all aspects sees us stay in our position at the top of the table, equal on points with two other teams. Putting 5 past Leeds with only one striker on the pitch is a great testiment to our other strengths on the pitch, and Bannan and Mérida still function as well together in central midfield as they did in League 2, which is very relieving, as I wondered for the longest time during the offseason whether to go with the same pairing or go for higher-reputation signings. Still, it is very early in the season, but I don't think there's any chance of us being 24th when it's all said and done.

@ Preston North End 3-0 DIEYE 7' 63' SPINA 89' – We demolish another one of the better sides – I suppose – and this time we at their ground, which is a bit of a plus, although we don't seem to be all that bothered whether we're playing home or away. An impressive goal on a powerful half volley for defensive midfielder Danilo Spina added to Preston's woes late after Dieye had brought us in front early, and knicked a scrappy goal early in the second half to ensure us a buffer. Still level on points with Norwich, our amazing goal difference (+14, just one goal conceded versus 15 goals in 5 games) the tie breaker, we've started our League 1 campaign where we left off in League 2.

JPT S 1ST RND @ Colchester 4-1 ANTONIOL 3' 33' DIEYE 57' 70' – We absolutely destroyed Colchester and were quite lethal up front, challenging their keeper often. A methodical and careful picking apart of them today. Avanti! Drew Shrewsbury away in the 2nd round.

ROUND-UP
A good start to our League 1 campaign, and on the strength of this, it sure looks like our drastic rebuilding project isn't having too many startup problems. Free-scoring and quite sound defensively – this is a potent mix that will serve any team well.

L1 1st, 13 points
Awards MotM: Yours truly 2nd. PotM: Abdou Dieye 2nd. YPotM: Barry Bannan 2nd.

September 2011

@ Rochdale 2-1 DIEYE 33' MURPHY 57' – A hard fought match where chances were hard to come by for either team. Thankfully, we were just a tiny bit more clinical than they were today, which meeeeans... 3 points!

v. Charlton 2-0 DIEYE 21' PASQUATO 54' – It was extremely pleasing to win this one for two reasons, being: 1) With this being our game in hand, we move back into 1st place. 2) We were on the back foot for most of the game, proving that we can win games when not dominating possession, which bodes well for our further endeavours throughout the season.

v. Hartlepool 4-3 DIEYE 22' PASQUATO 45' TAFER 60' – The scoreline SERIOUSLY flatters Hartlepool, as they had 4 chances all game and they scored on 3 of 'em. They weren't even chances created by their brilliance but rather confounding lapses of concentration on our part. All three goals down to glaring individual errors like Osei running 10 yards out of his goal for no apparent reason and leaving the goal completely exposed. Still, we kept bombarding their goal, and although we should have had at least 2 more goals had everything gone to plan, I am happy with the 3 points and the win.

ROUND-UP
We drop down a spot, but maintain our hot streak, and with two games in hand and just 1 point up to the 1st spot, we are very much in the thick of things still.

L1 2nd, 22 points

October 2011

@ Leyton Orient 1-2 MURPHY 1' – 18 seconds it took Dieye to play a perfect chip to Murphy who slotted it home perfectly. Then GK Osei decided to be an **** and stare vacantly at their next two bog-standard chances, which they converted. Some-*******-how they were able to ride that scoreline out for the rest of the game, resulting in our first loss of the season. We had several huge chances, but not as many as we should have created and the ones we had we just did not convert and apart from that first great interplay, we played with little cohesion and feeling of a team game. We slump into 4th, although we have two games in hand. Two wins would put us a point clear at the top, but of course we won't take anything for granted, as well we shouldn't when we're prone to performances like these.

v. Southend 3-0 MURPHY 22' PASQUATO 39' RODELIN 85' – A goal from debutant Rodelin sealed the deal.

JPT S 2ND RND @ Shrewsbury 1-1 (4-2 pens) TAFER 49' – A game that should never have been as tight as it was, but even though it took penalties it was a deserved win today.

@ Tranmere 2-1 DIEYE 44' MAZZOTTA 50' – We shut 'em down from the get go and when they were gifted a goal due to an Osei own goal, they promptly got one of their players sent off. Not that they'd had a chance anyway, it really was an easy day at the office. We even had a perfectly good goal disallowed at the death.

v. Rotherham 2-1 MURPHY 20' DIEYE 31' – A routine performance from the lads today and it was more than enough to see off the threat of Rotherham, who didn't look to threaten us throughout, even though the scoreline may lead you to believe otherwise.

v. Norwich 1-2 DIEYE 40' – We record our second loss of the season and it was not a pretty sight at the back as we looked extremely shaky at the right back and center back positions, letting wingers outpace us and strikers tower above us. I'll look to shift some things around due to this.

ROUND-UP

A mixed bag for us this month with some tight games either going our way or the opposition's. We still hang on in the top of the table, though, and we still look strong. Our defeats have been slim and not embarassing in any way, as we have lost to good sides, who will surely contend for promotion as well.

L1 3rd, 31 points.

November 2011

@ Gillingham 2-1 BARCHAM OG 23' PASQUATO 53' – An even match where a draw was probably most on the cards, and all three goals were scrappy and not necesarrily due to the brilliance of either side. I gladly take all 3 points though, which means we hang on in the very upper echelons of the table.

FA CUP 1ST RND v. Leyton Orient 2-0 DE LAAT 40' TAFER 45' (pen.) – After drawing the hardest opposition imaginable again, we show Leyton Orient that last time we met was most definitely a fluke. Due to massive fixture congestion, I played quite a weakened side and we still won by a comfortable 2-0.

JPT S QT FINAL v. Gillingham 3-3 (5-4 pens) TAFER 35' (pen.) DIEYE 63' 69'– FM is such bullshit sometimes, but at least I prevailed over the endless spew of BS emanating from Gillingham today. 3 "chances", and those air quotes are there because they just shot at random from 30 yards out. Two went in directly and one landed in front of an offside striker who was allowed to score in the last five minutes to send it to penalties. But like I said, at least it ended well for me, which naturally is the most important thing in the world. (!)

v. Barnsley 6-1 MÉRIDA 4' DIEYE 10' 67' DE LAAT 34' MURPHY 81' 88' – Ahhh. Just what I needed to pick up my spirits. A cracking game from all involved. Their goal was again an own goal by Osei, and again it wasn't so much his limitations as a player that caused it but rather some FM bug. We're back in a sweet position as we currently occupy the top spot level on points with two other sides, but with a significantly greater goal difference, and, more importantly, two games in hand.

v. Millwall 3-0 MÉRIDA 56' RODELIN 89' MURPHY 90+2' – Easy peasy. Tafer and Dieye sucked though, big time. Tafer really is quite worthless. Rhys Murphy and Ronny Rodelin came through in the end, however.

FA CUP 2ND RND @ Shrewsbury 1-1 MÉRIDA 90+3' – I have serious issues with Osei deciding sometimes to just stop playing goalkeeper and apparently think he's a spectator. **** is ridiculous, man. I also take issue with us not scoring until deep into stoppage time. Their goalkeeper may have been man of the match, but that's such a poor excuse, we need to turn more chances into goals asap.

@ Oldham 4-1 MAZZOTTA 22' DIEYE 29' KANTÉ 55' FAURE 64' – We get to pay Oldham back the misery they caused us last year when they booted us out of the FA Cup (or some other cup competition). Clinical finishing today for both sides, as we both scored on half our shots on target, and for once we actually dominated possession. A superb effort.

ROUND-UP
A clean sweep in the league and some strong cup performances, even though we didn't go through at first against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup 2nd Round. We'll get 'em next time. Not much to say other than that we're keeping up the formula of very strong attacking play and relative defensive stability.

L1 1st, 43 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 2nd. PotM: Björn De Laat 1st, Sébastien Faure 2nd, Fran Mérida, 3rd. YPotM: Fran Mérida 2nd.

December 2011

@ Chesterfield 2-1 DIEYE 48' MÉRIDA 67' – Our defending of corners is absolutely atrocious, we look to concede from almost every single one. Luckily we didn't concede many corners. Well actually just the one. That meant we were able to walk all over them and with 22 shots, we should have won by a much greater margin. Hopefully, we're saving up some goals, though. That would be very nice. We should also have Héctor Verdés back soon, who was by far the best we had to head away those dangerous crosses, which should put a damper on our opponents chances to score so easily from set pieces.

FA CUP 2ND RND REPLAY v. Shrewsbury 5-2 ANTONIOL 30' 67' FAURE 34' TAFER 54' 87' – Going 1-0 down as Shrewsbury scored on their first chance of the game (naturally), we rallied with a quickfire double late in the first half, which laid the foundation for a dominant display in the second half, which saw us create (and waste) heaps of chances. Tafer finally scored more than one in a game although he used 8 or 10 clear cut chances to get them. They eventually got a second goal late on a penalty. We're through to the 3rd round where we will face... Leicester, ugh. Away.

v. Oxford 3-2 TAFER 14' 38' DIEYE 23' – Tafer didn't need 10 chances today, in fact he scored on his first. And second, actually. A 3-goal lead was enough to see us walk away as winners today although our performance in the second half compared to the first was really quite poor. Our opponents' chance-to-goal ratio is absolutely ridiculous, must be at least in the higher 80's or 90's and today they scored twice on as many chances. Seriously messed up.

JPT S SEMI FINAL v. Leyton Orient 3-0 TAFER 4' DIEYE 30' 52'– Not much to say about the match other than we were in total control throughout, so I'll just say this: we're in a final! Well, this final is actually kind of a semi final, as the tournament is split up in North and South. We'll face Norwich in the southern "final". Up north, Leeds and Bradford will duke it out. Exciting times, younglings!

@ Bristol Rovers 1-1 RODELIN 85' – "All square in an even game!" Boy, you said it, FM. Not much else to say today, other than that the service to the forwards was somewhat off today and when it finally got there, they didn't seem to know what to do with it. All except Rodelin, who seemed to know to just blast it in the top corner, bless the lad.

@ Blackpool 1-1 TAFER 50' – A decent result as we were down to 10 men after Faure's second big mistake of the evening warranted a straight red card, as he was also majorly culpable for the opening goal. Annoyingly, we might have won it even with 10 men and we overpowered Blackpool throughout the second half, having several huge chances. A bit more clinical up front today and we would have nabbed the 3 points, but all things considered, a draw is alright.

v. Brentford 5-2 MÉRIDA 21' TAFER 24' 48' 87' DIEYE 62' – Wow, what a game from Yannis Tafer. A hat-trick and an assist to boot, a top class effort, I really hope we can hang on to him for a prolonged time, but with him being a highly-rated prospect, the chances do look rather slim. Going 2-0 down with Brentford scoring on their only two chances of the match (it's getting absolutely ridiculous), we responded magnificently and never stopped pushing for the next goal, even as we were up by two or even three. A top drawer effort from everyone involved today.

v. Colchester 3-0 PASQUATO 46' TAFER 53' 63' – After a tepid first half where we really didn't do much, apart from stretchering two players off, we exploded shortly after the start of the second half and looked dangerous every time we were on the ball.

FA CUP 3RD RND @ Leicester 0-1 – An extremly unfortunate result as we dominated Leicester throughout the match, tackling superbly, passing sweetly but unfortunately not being able to finish it off properly. We had several huge chances, they had one. Props to them for taking it, but in a perfect world, we should really have knocked 3 or 4 past them. Still, a spirited effort against Championship opposition and we don't have to worry about the FA Cup anymore, which is good.

ROUND-UP
The last fixture of the year is a defeat, but having gone about 10 games unbeaten in the league, December has been kind to us. Here's to 2012 being even kinder! Happy new year.

L1 1st, 57 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. PotM: Yannis Tafer 3rd. YPotM: Fran Mérida 2nd, Yannis Tafer 3rd. GotM: Fran Mérida 2nd (v. Brentford)

January 2012

@ Exeter 3-2 DIEYE 23' LA ROCCA 55' PASQUATO 66' – Down 2-0 early we needed a response and by golly, we got one. Exeter are not a bad side and we needed a few chances to put more than one goal past them, but once we got the equaliser I thought we had a very good chance of walking away with a win, and so we did.

v. Walsall 3-1 DIEYE 17' BAHERLÉ 45+1' POLDERVAART 89' (pen.)– Walk in the park as we dominate a weak Walsall side. Their goal came when a goal kick went over our defense and into the hands of Osei, or so I thought, as he just let it bounce off him, allowing their striker the easiest goal he'll ever score.

@ Leeds 1-1 PASQUATO 31' – Again Osei is to blame. Might look for a new 'keeper right about now, this is getting ridiculous. We thoroughly outplayed Leeds in the first half, but deflated completely in the second. Poor refereeing decisions played a big part, too, but we should just overcome that with a few more goals, but we just didn't have a response second half. Very out of character. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. Drawing away to Leeds isn't a poor result, though.

v. Preston North End 5-1 DIEYE 2' 38' TAFER 25' 73' KANTÉ 88' – When Preston clawed one back just on the stroke of half time, I was worried for a bit that we might suffer another awful second half performance, but we came back even stronger and kept playing for a bigger lead, which is hugely pleasing. Another thing that was just that was our second goal, which was a symphony of one-touch football, which would have made Arsène Wenger stand up and applaud and do his patented double fist bump.

JPT S FINAL 1ST LEG v. Norwich 5-0 DIEYE 47' 56' TAFER 61' 73' MÉRIDA 90+2' – Following an uninspired outing in the first half, we came back onto the pitch and immediately looked dynamic, vibrant and eager to get cracking at Norwich's top-ranked defense. Suffice it to say, I got more than I bargained for, as we not just beat Norwich, we gave them an old-fashioned beating of the worst kind. Or best, I'm not sure. A hugely impressive outing from the team and we're as good as through following this victory.

v. Brighton 6-1 ANTONIOL 9' 33' TAFER 24' 39' MÉRIDA 45+2' MURPHY 66' – Scoreline says it all, really. Effortless thrashing of bottomfeeders Brighton, we could have played our entire second string and won comfortably, I'm sure.

v. Rochdale 5-0 TAFER 49' BANNAN 72' MURPHY 85' 88' 90+2' – Wow Rhys Murphy, what an incredible cameo. On at 81 minutes, 3 goals and a 9.1 rating in a bit over 10 minutes. That's just insane.

ROUND-UP
What's also somewhat insane is that we've scored 21 goals in our last 4 games and only let in 2. We're also on a 16-match unbeaten run in the league. Good times! Last news from January is that we have managed to sign exciting young D RL Jérémy Hélan on a permanent deal. He joins for a fee of £200k from French Ligue 1 side AS Saint-Étienne.

L1 1st, 73 points.
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. PotM: Barry Bannan 2nd, Enrico Antoniol 3rd. YPotM: Rhys Murphy 1st, Ivo Pendervaart 2nd.

February 2012

@ Charlton 2-1 BANNAN 11' RANDALL 80' – Through the pouring rain we earn ourselves 3 points through Charlton. Both goals were absolutely stunning, Bannan's being a rocket from 30 yards and Randall's being... a rocket from 25 yards. Highly efficient, ah yes.

@ Rotherham 3-2 TAFER 49' DE LAAT 52' VERDÉS 68' – Again, the opposition had a knack for scoring on their limited chances, 2 out of 3 in this instance. A terrible first half ended with us clawing back a bit and laying the ground work for what would be a very good second half indeed. The service from midfield was good and even though the finishing touches weren't always top class, we would have been hard done by had we not gotten at least a point today. It's getting a bit nervewracking to come from behind so often but it also just goes to show that we won't be counted out of any match, no matter how bleak it may look.

v. Leyton Orient 4-2 TAFER 19' 53' MÉRIDA 50' 67' – No opening jitters today as they didn't claw one back until the 80th minute when GK Cousin misjudged a lob and allowed a striker to tower over him. The goalkeeper position is one to strengthen during the offseason, as at least half our goals could have been prevented had we had a proper 'keeper. 4-2 against a strong Orient side is very pleasing, though.

JPT S FINAL 2ND @ Norwich 1-3 ASHDOWN OG 30' – Don't get excited. I played with pretty much a reserve side and still put quite a bit of pressure on Norwich. Their goals were kind of freaky as well as a definite cross somehow managed to confound Cousin and swoop over him and in. In the "actual" final we will face Leeds, who we have beat 5-0 and drawn 1-1 with this year, so it's hard to predict how it's going to go.

@ Hartlepool 3-1 MURPHY 43' TAFER 50' VERDÉS 75' – A surprisingly even game, that could have gone right down to the wire and indeed we didn't have too much time to relax near the end, but we were able to triumph in the end and get yet another 3 points, which gives us a 10 point lead with 13 games to go.

@ Brighton 3-1 PASQUATO 6' VERDÉS 82' RODELIN 85' – We got the early goal and looked dangerous throughout the first, but in the beginning of the second half, Brighton really took the game to us and a combination of a good corner and an icy field made it hard to complain about their excellent equaliser at 74 minutes. Tafer was beyond complacent today and wasted chance after chance, so I brought on Ronny Rodelin, who duly killed off any of Brighton's hopes for a point today after Verdés finally brought us back in front from a corner. Rodelin's goal had the further distinction of being our one hundredth goal this league campaign. Taking into account we've conceded a goal a game (quite literally, 34 Games Played, 34 Goals Against), that brings our goal difference to +66, which is quite astonishing.

v. Gillingham 3-0 DIEYE 63' BANNAN 83' MÉRIDA 87' – In the pouring rain we toiled for what seemed like an eternity before Dieye took the ball on a counter attacking move around the center circle and ran directly down into their box and finished it ever so sweetly. Bannan hit a powerful free kick from 30 yards out that in the end was just outside the keeper's reach. Mérida capped it all off with a free kick from roughly the same position, however it seemed more like an overhit cross. No one went to challenge for it and the 'keeper just watched it slowly sail over his head. Funky.

ROUND-UP
What's also funky is that we have secured ourselves at least a playoff spot. Obviously, we shan't settle for anything but 1st place and sweet, sweet automatic promotion. Yannis Tafer will be out for a month, however, but then again that gives me the opportunity to try out some alternatives in the right attacking spot such as Rhys Murphy.

L1 1st, 91 points
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. PotM: Fran Mérida 2nd, Björn de Laat 3rd.

March 2011

@ Southend 3-1 MURPHY 50' FAURE 64' DIEYE 88' – I'm not almost not bothered with going down 1-0 in the first half, we just always, always, always seem to pull back at least two goals and we rarely ever concede more than one goal. Ah yes. The home stretch is clearly upon us and we look to lock up the title as soon as possible so we can start looking to bolster our squad for the Championship, which clearly is coming our way. Already, I have locked up a permanent deal for D L Antonio Mazzotta on a free transfer.

v. Tranmere 4-2 PASQUATO 9' 35' DIEYE 54' MURPHY 67' – Some really attractive offensive football in this match along with some pretty atrocious set piece defending, which lead to a scoreline that must be said to be quite flattering in Tranmere's favour. I have no complaints though, as this victory sees us go 12 points clear of our nearest rival and, coincidentally, next opponents, Norwich. The free agent signing continues as we lock up a 2-year deal for D C Sébastien Faure, who has agreed to join us in a backup capacity. We have also extended ST Abdou Dieye's deal for another 2 years.

@ Norwich 5-2 PASQUATO 1' RANDALL 31' DIEYE 37' VERDÉS 45+2' MURPHY 73' – We took our chances extremely well in this game, as chances were actually quite difficult to come by, but whenever one of our players drifted into the vicinity of their area, there was always the feeling that a goal could come at any point in time. The game offered 50th league goal for Dieye in a Kettering shirt, and he was understandably happy after the game, having done so in just 2 seasons with us, the first of which he only played 29 league games that season. With this resounding win, we reach 100 points and 115 goals on the season. Our goal difference is almost nearing the three-digit mark as well, being just 24 from the unfathomable. Surely not, though...

JPT FINAL v. Leeds 0-2 – Wow... A meek, soulless performance. We appeared right in it, but then the feeble-minded Dutch twit M C Björn de Laat got himself sent off for a second yellow card early in the second half and they then scored from the ensuing set piece. Midfield played pants, not being able to maintain possession for any stretch of time and the forwards, when they got the ball, seemed not to know what to do with it, as though they weren't in the same offense that so far has scored 115 in the league. This was an ugly defeat, but if there's anything we can take from this, it is that we're a young, fairly inexperienced side that doesn't know the pressure of the big games, playing at a stadium like Wembley in front of 73000 spectators.

v. Blackpool 2-1 TAVARÈS 45' MÉRIDA 79' – Another rather bland performance. Could be just complacency setting in, as we're guaranteed a playoff spot, but I just won't accept that we're just going to shut down for the last 8 weeks. On a much brighter note, we have now won automatic promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship! Let's not also forget that in the league, we have just gone 26 games unbeaten with just 3 of those being draws.

@ Millwall 0-2 – Speak of the devil, the streak hath ended. Another early goal conceded from a set piec and a late goal conceded from a set piece. Bog standard, easy to deal with situations. Not that Millwall didn't deserve the win. I don't think we completed a pass that actually helped in a build-up play to a situation, which is just staggering when throughout the season that has been our forté. Goals from the strikers are also sorely needed, and although the service to them isn't great, they have to do better, they just have to.

ROUND-UP
Well, the streak ended, which was a shame but not totally unexpected. A mixture of injuries and just plain complacency slowly sneaked up on us and it all tumbled down in the Leeds and Millwall games. Apart from those two "incidents", we kept on going quite strong, even though our squad is a makeshift one at this point in time.

L1 1st, 103 points
Awards MotM: Yours truly 2nd. PotM: Antonio Mazzotta 2nd. YPotM: Rhys Murphy 2nd.

April 2012

v. Oldham 5-2 TAFER 2' 10' (pen.) 22' 36' 52' – You saw that right. 5 goals for a magnficent Yannis Tafer. I must say he took quite a few chances to score those 4 actual goals and a penalty, but still just a terrific performance from him. Also Barry Bannan shone today, providing 3 of the 4 assists. A perfect win to secure the League 1 title, which is exactly what we did today! In the locker room after the game, the champagne was flowing freely, you can be sure of that.

@ Barnsley 4-2 DIEYE 4' 78' TAFER 45' MÉRIDA 83' – A back-and-forth struggle, we eventually sped away from Barnsley and were clearly a class above them and Mérida's goal at the end really was a thing of beauty.

v. Chesterfield 4-0 LA ROCCA 8' DIEYE 19' 34' TAFER 21' – A dominant first half was enough and we just coasted the entire second half against last-place Chesterfield. Furthermore, that makes 25 league goals for Tafer, which is particularly impressive as he's only made 27 starts. I have had no luck in signing him permanently, though, as his wage demands don't correlate to the wage structure of the club. Subtitle: we are too effing poor to get him.

@ Oxford 2-1 DIEYE 58' TAFER 89' – A late winner after a late equaliser is so very sweet, and when it's against Oxford (you may recall I have a bit of a grudge against them), it's even sweeter!

v. Bristol Rovers 4-0 LA ROCCA 4' TAFER 6' 81' PASQUATO 45+1' – Complete domination, it doesn't get much easier than that.

ROUND-UP
We complete a clean sweep of April as our run-in towards the end of the season turned out to be quite easy. Not much to say other than "see you in the Championship!"

L1 1st, 118 points
Awards MotM: Yours truly 1st. PotM: Abdou Dieye 2nd, Yannis Tafer 3rd. YPotM: Yannis Tafer 1st. GotM: Fran Mérida 2nd (@ Barnsley)

May 2012

@ Brentford 5-1 TAFER 15' 52' PASQUATO 17' 55' MÉRIDA 22' – A fitting end to a terrific season as we demolish Brentford. The goal we let in, also rather fittingly of our season, was an own goal as their only shot that actually hit the goal (albeit the woodwork) was deflected in off an unsuspecting Cousin in goal.

This season was really special, in no small part due to the tremendous amount of goals we scored, whilst remaining.. well, I won't say responsible at the back, but still managing a clean sheet here and there, which is a nice thing, knowing that you can pull off a good defensive effort if need be.

End of season round up
League 1 1st, 121 points. Automatic promotion to Coca-Cola Championship.
FA Cup Lost 3rd Rnd @ Leicester.
League Cup Lost 1st Rnd v Q.P.R.
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Lost Final v. Leeds.
Yearly awards Manager of the Year Yours truly 1st. Kettering players in Players' Team of the Year: D C Héctor Verdés, D L Antonio Mazzotta, M C Fran Mérida & ST Abdou Dieye

Top goalscorer Abdou Dieye (40)
Assists leader Abdou Dieye (26)
Most man of match Abdou Dieye (9)
Highest avg. rating Abdou Dieye - 7.51 (55 apps)
Player of the season Abdou Dieye (29 Apps, 23 Gls, 12 Asts, 6 MoM, 7.54 Av R)
Young player of the season (U-21) Yannis Tafer (42 Apps, 38 Gls, 10 Asts, 8 MoM, 7.46 Av R)
Fans' Player of the Year Abdou Dieye
Best signing of the season Yannis Tafer, loan
Worst signing of the season Thibaut Bourgeois, loan, only used him once or twice.
Stats, all competitions 58 matches played, 167 goals scored (2.9), 65 goals conceded (1.1), 65 yellow cards (1.1), 4 red cards (0.1), 5678 average attendance (6100 max capacity).

Screenshots

Final league table, league curve, 4. Fran Mérida, 7. Abdou Dieye, 9. Yannis Tafer, 22. Antonio Mazzotta, final transfer history
View attachment 39527 View attachment 39528 View attachment 39529 View attachment 39530 View attachment 39531 View attachment 39533 View attachment 39532

kt_s4outset.jpg

Right, ze almighty Poppies have now entered the prestigious Coca-Cola Championship and for this season, I'll try doing monthly updates, with key matches described in full with stats, screenshots and the like. I tried doing videos, but I couldn't find a proper way to do it. Will keep trying though!

August 2011

Straight into a difficult run of fixtures with a bit of history as we have faced 3 of the 4 sides previously in cup competitions and friendlies with not so great results for us, so there'll be a score to settle and some pride to restore.

KEY MATCH Opening day

Kettering 3–0 Sheffield Wednesday

Coca-Cola Championship, Matchday 1
Rockingham Road, Kettering

1213-km-kettering-v-sheffwed-firsteleven.jpg

goal.png
31' G. Christiansen
goal.png
48' C. Pasquato
goal.png
75' A. Dieye

We've finally got an experienced head in new captain Abdoulaye Faye who organised the defense well today with Atienza beside him. The pair were incredibly dominant in the air and along with O'Brien they dealt extremely well with the crosses and set pieces, on which we have looked so fragile throughout my tenure at Rockingham Road.

Up front it was business as usual and by that I mean that were were creating some good goalscoring opportunities, although the squad clearly isn't as well gelled together as they should ideally be. My man of the match, although not in the eyes of FM, was clearly Fran Mérida who assisted two and was heavily involved in our third goal, a terrific performance all around from him.

We do have an alarming lack of home-grown players, which is a bit hard to fix with not much of a transfer budget. Another issue is the squad depth which, while good in defense is really a worry in both midfield and striker departments and with both Yannis Tafer and Abdou Dieye out for the remainder of the month, I will look to sign another striker to ease the load up front.

LEAGUE CUP 1ST RND @ Brighton 1-0
goal.png
38' P. Atienza

Event: Draw
LEAGUE CUP 2ND RND Kettering were the first team on the board and our opponents in the next round will be fellow Championship side Reading.

@ Leicester 3-2
goal.png
44' C. Pasquato
goal.png
64' T. Windels
goal.png
80' A. Faye

v. Q.P.R. 3-3
goal.png
1' F. Mérida
goal.png
40' T. Windels
goal.png
57' C. Pasquato

@ Swansea 2-1
goal.png
1' G. Christiansen
goal.png
31' C. Pasquato

LEAGUE CUP 2ND RND v. Reading 2-1
goal.png
21' T. Windels
goal.png
34' C. Pasquato

View attachment 42477

End of month
We get a fairly spirited start to our Championship campaign, as we are in first place right off the bat after our 3-0 opening day win over Sheffield Wednesday. We end the month in 2nd place, behind Ipswich on goal difference, having really thrown away the Q.P.R. game with some absolutely woeful defending, particularly from the two fullbacks. Defensively, we're not quite there yet, having allowed 6 goals in 4 games but we seem to still be able to create good opportunities and, most importantly, put it in the back of the net.

In the Carling Cup, we first outclassed Brighton and then ran a tight ship against Reading, who didn't have a single shot all first half (see screenshot above) having been so massively outplayed by us I doubt they got out of their own half more than a few times.

1213-ms-august.png

September 2012

LEAGUE CUP 3RD RND Our opponents in the 3rd round will be another fellow Championship side, namely Huddersfield, who I know absolutely nothing about, but we'll get to that.

v. Southampton 2-2
goal.png
74' C. Pasquato
goal.png
78' G. Christiansen

@ Reading 1-2
goal.png
23' Y. Tafer

v. Scunthorpe 3-1
goal.png
2' B. de Laat
goal.png
33' A. Dieye
goal.png
61' Y. Tafer

@ Derby 2-1
goal.png
48' T. Windels
goal.png
82' G. Christiansen

LEAGUE CUP 3RD RND v. Huddersfield 3-1
goal.png
4' A. Dieye
goal.png
8' G. Christiansen
goal.png
51' G. Christiansen

LEAGUE CUP 4TH RND We will face Aston Villa in the 4th round at home, which will be a monumental challenge as they just ousted Man City from the tournament by a score of 4-1. Still, should be a full house and a grand occassion for the lads. Incidentally, Villa are our parent club and we have had a few players of theirs on loan over the past few seasons, as well as this year with M C Barry Bannan and AM C Glenn Christiansen, who unfortunately will both be ineligible to play against Villa due to the clauses in their loan deal.

@ Leyton Orient 2-2
goal.png
13' A. Dieye
goal.png
29' A. Dieye

A mixed bag of a month, this was, as we both racked up some very good results and some iffy ones as well and especially the game at Reading was extremely disappointing as we absolutely dominated Reading, however they pulled the old "we-only-need-2-chances-to-score-2-goals-and-you-need-60-to-score-3" routine on us, which is really frustrating. We also dropped two fairly easy points at Orient, which was also a huge letdown.

In other news, Plymouth hired my assistant manager away from me, which meant I had to go find a new one. Lo and behold I find a certain Sebastian Vollmer as a free agent. Now, attribute-wise I could easily have found a better one, but I had to go with him as Sebastian Vollmer is also the name of a quality offensive tackle for the New England Patriots in the NFL, which I found quite amusing.

1213-ms-september.png

October 2012

v. Ipswich 3-1
goal.png
28' T. Windels
goal.png
30' A. Dieye
goal.png
62' T. Windels

v. Coventry 6-1
goal.png
3' B. Bannan
goal.png
13' B. Bannan
goal.png
22' G. Christiansen
goal.png
32' T. Windels
goal.png
46' T. Windels
goal.png
70' G. Christiansen

@ Sheffield United 3-2
goal.png
11' T. Windels
goal.png
19' T. Windels
goal.png
90+3' Y. Tafer

@ Doncaster 4-2
goal.png
17' G. Christiansen
goal.png
39' A. Faye
goal.png
61' G. Christiansen
goal.png
65' T. Windels

KEY MATCH

v. Aston Villa
Carling Cup, Fourth Round

1213-km-kettering-v-astonvilla-firsteleven.jpg

Kettering 2–1 Aston Villa

goal.png
28' A. Dieye
goal.png
94' T. Windels

We certainly end October on a massive high, knocking out Aston Villa of the Carling Cup in extra time. We held Aston Villa to a minimum of chances. Couple defensive solidity with good attacking play and your chances of winning any match will be good, which is exactly what we practised throughout.

We cemented our position near the top of the table in the Championship and we end the month in a good position to fight for promotion and we're really just beginning to feel at home in the Championship, having been predicted to go straight down by the media. Still, what do they know, they've predicted us for relegation the past two seasons.

1213-ms-october.png

November 2012

LEAGUE CUP QT FINAL
We were first on the board again, which thankfully meant we didn't have to go on the road against one of the Premier League sides, which at this point is pretty much all that's left in the competition apart from ourselves and Nottingham Forest. We were given a pretty tough draw, though, being drawn up against Tottenham, who have a very strong team and will definitely pose a much harder challenge than Aston Villa. Still, should be a full house at Rockingham Road at least!

v. Watford 2-2
goal.png
11' M. D'Alessandro
goal.png
17' Y. Tafer

@ Peterborough 2-0
goal.png
80' A. Dieye
goal.png
90' A. Dieye

v. Portsmouth 2-1
goal.png
17' I. Poldervaart
goal.png
90' Y. Tafer

Never have I kicked someone's *** so hard for so long with so little end result, it was well and truly ridiculous today. We had 21 shots on target – 21 – and we only scored 2 and left it until the 90th minute to win it. Extraordinary effort from Pompey's loanee goalkeeper Simone David, but we should have scored at least 5 today.

v. Crystal Palace 2-2
goal.png
62' G. Christiansen
goal.png
68' B. Bannan

v. Fulham 2-2
goal.png
21' Y. Tafer
goal.png
28' D. Petrucci

v. Huddersfield 3-2
goal.png
1' T. Windels
goal.png
42' T. Windels
goal.png
57' Y. Tafer

@ Bolton 0-2

1213-ms-november.png

It was a bit of a mixed bag this month, with our performances either warranting more than what we got or our performance being so terrible I was just left exasperated after some of the matches. Particularly our finishing touches on otherwise brilliant attacking moves are really not up to scratch.

We were also on the receiving end of some terrible refereeing in some matches, having allowed two offside goals against us in one month, which cost us 2 points against Fulham and also put us in need of a third goal against Huddersfield. The Bolton match was our first real miscue of the season, having otherwise performed well in all our other matches, but we just didn't ever get going in that one.

December 2012

@ Nottingham Forest 1-1
goal.png
12' A. Faye

@ Norwich 3-1
goal.png
25' A. Dieye
goal.png
27' C. Pasquato
goal.png
29' A. Dieye

v. West Ham 1-1
goal.png
29' A. Faye

KEY MATCH

v. Tottenham
Carling Cup, Quarter Final

1213-km-kettering-v-tottenham-firsteleven.jpg

View attachment 42485

Kettering 5–0 Tottenham

WOW! I'm seriously just buzzing with excitement still after this match. Just an incredible, incredible effort on behalf of everyone involved. Defensively we were as solid as I've ever seen us, the back 4 dealt with absolutely everything Sp*rs could throw at them all night and when they did get a shot away, O'Brien dealt with the long shots admirably.

Up front, we sliced their defense open all night, any way or where we pleased. We could not afford to throw chances away, and although we did throw two huge chances away in the first 5 minutes, it was not to be an issue, as we finished off our attacking moves very well. Obviously, this was probably our finest performance so far on all counts, and also our biggest achievement by far.

@ Sheffield Wednesday 2-1
goal.png
25' A. Dieye
goal.png
82' G. Christiansen

v. Leicester 3-0
goal.png
54' A. Dieye
goal.png
64' T. Windels
goal.png
80' D. Petrucci

@ Q.P.R. 5-2
goal.png
5' A. Faye
goal.png
25' B. de Laat
goal.png
29' F. Mérida
goal.png
38' B. de Laat
goal.png
40' Y. Tafer

v. Swansea 4-1
goal.png
11' Y. Tafer
goal.png
27' T. Windels
goal.png
40' Y. Tafer
goal.png
53' Y. Tafer

1213-ms-december.png

We close out 2012 on a massive high, having gone top of the league by beating previous league leaders Q.P.R. at their house soundly. All our five goals came in the first half, which unfortunately meant we coasted way too much in the second half and let in two goals that made it a bit nervy for about 10 minutes, but we came out on top in the end.

This month also saw us sensationally beating Tottenham 5-0, which I didn't even dare dream of beforehand. It was well and truly a magnificent result, that surely will live long in Kettering fans' hearts as an iconic Kettering match, which will enter the lore of the club.

January 2013

@ Southampton 0-2

FA CUP 3RD RND @ Hull 1-1
goal.png
4' C. Pasquato

Event: Big signing
Marco Verratti has agreed to join Kettering from Pescara after the Pescara board intervened and accepted our £1.4m bid. Verratti will sign a £7,000 per week deal that will keep him at Rockingham Road until at least 2014. A short deal, but it should be no problem extending it if we are promoted.

CARLING CUP SEMI FINAL 1ST LEG @ Sunderland 0-2

v. Reading 1-2
goal.png
39' G. Christiansen

FA CUP 4TH RND v. Hull 3-0
goal.png
8' J. de Goede
goal.png
45+2' S. Faure
goal.png
63' F. Mérida

Wow.. This is actually kind of annoying. I tried to "throw" the game by fielding an immensely weakened side, just so that I wouldn't have to compete in three tournaments, as it's beginning to take its toll on the squad. But what happens? A bunch of 16-year olds, that coach reports say would be only decent players in the Blue Square Premier, go out and WHOOP. DEY. ***! If you read or skimmed my Rushden story, you may be aware that my arch nemesis for some reason was Hull, as they just seemed unbeatable, no matter how high I rose in the pyramid, but it seems things are different this time around. In the next round we'll face Tottenham at White Hart Lane, which will be a hugely tricky tie. We'll have to pull off an extremely solid defensive performance in that one or... well, knock 5 goals past them again, that might help. Then again, I could just send out the 16-year-olds, they seem to know what the **** to do!

@ Scunthorpe 1-1
goal.png
50' B. de Laat

Event: Transfer
The Kettering board – unbearable twats that they are – went over my head and accepted a measly £1.7m bid for Jérémy Hélan from Auxerre, who duly signed him, which leaves us quite exposed at the fullback position. It's particularly annoying, since Hélan was really one for the future.

KEY MATCH

v. Sunderland
Carling Cup, Semi Final 2nd Leg

ybg6g4n

Kettering 2–2 Sunderland (2-4 agg.)

goal.png
27' Glenn Christiansen
goal.png
66' Rhys Murphy

Well, here the Carling Cup fairytale ended, and at times it wasn't pretty. I thought we were very hugely unlucky not to have gained an away goal in the first leg, but that was nothing compared to the ridiculous misses we had in this game and Sunderland being quite fortuitous in both goal-giving situations.

I won't renege on the fact that I thought we had a decent shot at going through to the final, but some things just aren't meant to be, and even though Sunderland definitely had Lady Luck on their side in both games, we have to acknowledge that they aren't a half-bad side and there was certainly a bit of a gulf in quality at times. I am still proud of our run, having knocked out 2 Premier League sides and 2 Championship sides.

FA CUP 4TH RND @ Tottenham 0-3

v. Derby 3-1
goal.png
23' M. Verratti
goal.png
70' A. Dieye
goal.png
88' A. Dieye

We navigated a tough January where the fixture congestion was out in force. We were knocked out of two cup competitions and lost two league games. On the positive side, we also won enough to rule out that we fulfill our media prediction for the season, 24th place in the league, as it is now mathematically impossible.

Hopefully, being able to focus on the league solely now will be a boost to a somewhat depleted squad, as the injuries have been piling up, and when you don't have to play every 3 or 4 days, the queue at the team doctor will get smaller and smaller.

1213-ms-january.png

February 2013

@ Crystal Palace 4-1
goal.png
5' A. Dieye
goal.png
38' Y. Tafer
goal.png
69' Y. Tafer
goal.png
89' Y. Tafer

v. Sheffield United 2-1
goal.png
23' A. Dieye
goal.png
50' Y. Tafer

Sheffield United – 0 shots on target. Yep, no bullshit.

v. Leyton Orient 2-1
goal.png
1' A. Dieye
goal.png
21' Y. Tafer

@ Ipswich 1-2
goal.png
80' T. Windels

An infuriating defeat, as we dominated for long periods of the game, but Yannis Tafer just scuppered everything we did up front, like he has a tendency to do after being brilliant for a few games in a row. Also, just in terms of the way Ipswich scored their goals, it was a really irksome afternoon at Portman Road.

1213-ms-february.png

March 2013

v. Coventry 3-1
goal.png
8' Y. Tafer
goal.png
13' M. Verratti
goal.png
27' M. Verratti

Another dominant performance. Another freak goal from the opposition. 3 points and we climb back on top of the league due to Bolton drawing with Southampton. Verratti really coming into his stride now.

v. Doncaster 4-0
goal.png
8' M. Verratti
goal.png
28' A. Dieye
goal.png
41' Y. Tafer
goal.png
61' M. Verratti

@ Watford 2-0
goal.png
3' M. Verratti
goal.png
43' M. Verratti

@ Peterborough 5-3
goal.png
1' A. Dieye
goal.png
14' D. Karaiskos
goal.png
27' M. Verratti
goal.png
58' I. Poldervaart (pen.)
goal.png
73' A. Dieye

@ Fulham 3-0
goal.png
18' A. Dieye
goal.png
73' M. Verratti
goal.png
75' T. Windels

End of month

I won't deny that it made it a lot easier to dismantle Fulham at Craven Cottage when Chris Smalling got sent off for clotheslining Marco Verratti after just 4 minutes, however our production today should have merited 3 points regardless. Whilst Marco Verratti kept up his frighteningly good form, pulling the strings from midfield, Yannis Tafer was misfiring big time again, but Windels was able to come in and score and may have had another or two in a terrific cameo towards the end, scoring our 100th league goal of the season in the process.

1213-ms-march.png

April 2013

v. Huddersfield 1-0
goal.png
75' M. Verratti

@ Portsmouth 1-3
goal.png
82' Y. Tafer

v. Bolton 3-2
goal.png
49' T. Windels
goal.png
81' T. Windels
goal.png
90+2' T. Windels

A-*******-mazing comeback from two goals down. And so deserved it's really just beyond words. Tarik, I love you!

v. Nottingham Forest 2-1
goal.png
54' T. Windels
goal.png
83' B. de Laat

@ West Ham 2-1
goal.png
21' A. Dieye
goal.png
55' A. Dieye

With this hard-fought win at Upton Park we finally sealed the Championship title and it is very fitting that Dieye was the person to engineer it. He has been here since we were wallowing mid-table in League 2 and has been an inspiration ever since. Whether he has linked up with Rhys Murphy, Yannis Tafer, Tarik Windels or someone entirely different, he has been a phenomenal performer since we signed him on a free transfer way back when.

May 2013

v. Norwich 4-3
goal.png
27' T. Windels
goal.png
29' A. Dieye
goal.png
38' T. Windels
goal.png
44' M. Verratti

Thusly we ended the season in a game that much summed up the way we went about our business this season. A dominant first half, a veritable offensive extravaganza. After half-time we just stopped tackling, stopped thinking, stopped going all out. The scoreline often hugely flattering to the opposition, we still muddle through and take the last 3 points of the season, bringing the grand total to 102 points.

1213-ms-endofseason.png

End of season, screenshots etc.

Championship 1st, 102 points
FA Cup Lost 4th Rnd @ Tottenham.
Carling Cup Lost Semi Final v. Sunderland

Yearly awards: Manager of the Year Yours truly 1st.
Kettering players in Players' Team of the Year: ST Abdou Dieye

Top goalscorer Tarik Windels (27)
Assists leader Abdou Dieye (14)
Most man of match Abdou Dieye (8)
Highest avg. rating Abdou Dieye - 7.46 (41 apps)
Player of the season Abdou Dieye (41 Apps, 26 Gls, 14 Asts, 8 MoM, 7.46 Av R)
Young player of the season (U-21) Tarik Wendels (36 Apps, 27 Gls, 12 Asts, 7 MoM, 7.39 Av R)
Fans' Player of the Year Abdou Dieye
Best signing of the season Marco Verratti, £1.4m (18 Apps, 11 Gls, 4 Asts, 4 MoM, 7.34 Av R) – Provided the necessary spark towards the end of the season to keep fighting for the title and it was exactly what we needed.
Worst signing of the season Pichu Atienza, £400k (32 Apps, 3 Gls, 1 Asts, 0 MoM, 7.03 Av R) – Really didn't deliver as well as I thought he could, but I'll probably keep him on for another season.
Stats, all competitions 56 matches played, 132 goals scored (2.4), 74 goals conceded (1.3), 52 yellow cards (0.9), 0 red cards (0.0), 6091 average attendance (6100 max capacity).

Screenshots.
Final league table, curve, final transfer history.
View attachment 42489 View attachment 42490 View attachment 42491

Players.
Abdou Dieye, Yannis Tafer, Glenn Christiansen, Ivo Poldervaart, Marco Verratti, Tarik Windels
View attachment 42493View attachment 42495View attachment 42496View attachment 42497View attachment 42492View attachment 42494

Last edited:
you are a god at this game, whats the secret mate

Haha, thank you for the excessive plaudits, I'm not though ;) The "secret" so far has been loan signings and free agents. At these lower levels, it's quite easy to get players of a higher quality than the rest of the league.

Without getting too much into what's going on at the moment (taking a bit of a break to regain some motivation) in the Premier League, it's a lot harder to do in the Premier League. The leap from L2 to L1 and from L1 to the Championship doesn't even begin to compare itself to the leap there is from the Championship to the Prem', so naturally I won't win the Premier League first time trying, that would be ridiculous ;)

What tactics are you using mate?
It's pretty much just Complete Dominance 10.2, modified a bit where I see fit. It hasn't stayed the same from BSP to the Premier League, so there's really no point in posting up "my" version of it, as it's an ever-changing thing.