xdannyw92

Reaction score
shakhtar-donetsk-logo.png%3Fw%3D500

Ukrainian Giants Donetsk Hire English Manager

Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk have appointed English manager Danny Wright as their new head coach. Wright has never managed before but has been living in Ukraine for the past five years coaching at Metalist Kharkiv.

The news follows the retirement of Mircea Lucescu who has been in charge at Shakhtar since 2004.

The 25-year-old said in a press conference today: "I am glad to be able to get the chance to manage Ukraine's best team. I had a great time at Metalist and I am glad my talents have been spotted by the hierarchy here at Shakhtar," he said.

He added: "Today is the start of a new era. I can promise the fans some great English-style football and look to win a fifth consecutive league title."

The Shakhtar board have also hired German Ralf Rangnick as Director of Football as the club look to push forward towards retaining their Ukrainian Premier League title and venturing into the further stages of the Champions League.

Wright has reportedly been given a large transfer budget and may be expected to dip into the English Premier League in search of talent. Swansea's Michu and Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye are said to be top of his list.