Defending crosses and full back problems

prigrajf

Reaction score
Hi there

After a long period of time not playing FM (last version played was 11), I bought this years game. It is fun, but frustrating as h*** to. I searched the forums for the issues in the title, but couldn't find any concrete answers.

I play a 4-2-3-1 deep formation, balanced, with TI droop deeper, short passing, play out of defence, stick to position. The roles are DL/DR full backs on support, standard DC, DM's on support, wingers on support, AM attack, ST advanced forward. The style of play is basicly playing on the counter attack.

The problem I'm having is that my full backs just can't defend decently: They can't mark wingers and they get through far to easly. Because of that I concede ridicoulus amounts of goals from crosses. I would even say, that the mayority of goals I concede are from crosses, be it as an easy tap in or header.

I tryed numerous variations of seting the FB and my other team up. But nothing is really working. Curently I use this PI's for my defending players:
- DM's are asked to close down more,
- FB's are asked to mark tighter, close down less, tackle harder,
- had CD's mark tighter, but that just streched them out of position to much.

Would really apreciate some advice or sugestions on how to deal with this problems, because it's really killing the fun out of the game.

Thanks

OK mark tighter just doesn't work, it makes it even worse, cause its pulling players out of position. I guess OI show onto weaker foot works best or at least decently. This is a mayor bug I reckon, one of many i guess.

Try with different rolles for your DMC-s. Or instruct your wingers to follow opponents fullback...

I had similar problem and mostly solved it with either one of these. With your wingers marking opponent fullbacks, there is no breakdown on your sides, becouse fullback does not need to leave his position. However, when you are playing against stronger opponent which will put you on your half for most of game, I would suggest to change your tacktics a little bit, since you will be unable to keep ball long enough so you could counter.

In these situation, I prefere to use more rigid system, with two regista, high D-line, and to put wingers on midfield. I know it looks a little to defensive, but it works, becouse you keep your defensive shape and you deny space for opponent to create anything.

Opppsiton instruction works only to degree, which is unfortunate. For me it is most usfull with pressing, if there is no team presing, you better leave it clean.

Try with different rolles for your DMC-s. Or instruct your wingers to follow opponents fullback...

I had similar problem and mostly solved it with either one of these. With your wingers marking opponent fullbacks, there is no breakdown on your sides, becouse fullback does not need to leave his position. However, when you are playing against stronger opponent which will put you on your half for most of game, I would suggest to change your tacktics a little bit, since you will be unable to keep ball long enough so you could counter.

In these situation, I prefere to use more rigid system, with two regista, high D-line, and to put wingers on midfield. I know it looks a little to defensive, but it works, becouse you keep your defensive shape and you deny space for opponent to create anything.

Opppsiton instruction works only to degree, which is unfortunate. For me it is most usfull with pressing, if there is no team presing, you better leave it clean.

Tnx for the reply :) Will try that, but don't think the problems are the opposition full backs. My wingers are tracking back already, thats why I have them set on support and tight mark. The problem is that my full backs are just to easly beaten by the opp. wingers. It's just ridicoulus that a winger with pace and acceleration of 9 gets past my full backs (14 pace and acce.) like its nothing.

Will try to experiment with the DM roles to. Would a DLPs and DMs work well together?

That is problem I have when playing with Roma. Something is wrong with some players as they just do not perform. As soon as I changed Maicon and Cole, I saw light, altough, they were better in ratings then those two ;)

I guess you could use them in some formations, but it is easier sometimes to sell them and find better fit for your team. There is also issue of your DMC-s. If fast enough, they will be abel to pivot across field and cover and help out your FB-s (this is also one of problems I had with Roma, as my DMC-s were not fast enough, so my fb was usually alone with their winger), so if you force him in middle of pitch, Your DMC will be waiting for him there and deny him room. And there is where Regista becomes handy, as he will continue to push up and press, even if you do not press as team, and as he wins ball, he will trigger counter even if you do not play on counters. Other roles do not act like this.

After watching a 2 games in more detail and extended mode, I saw that there is an issue with the oppo. full backs. The Wingers don't contribute enough to defence, as you said :) Imediatly changed them to Defensive Wingers and the defending is better. I also changed one of DM on support to DLP support, to at least have somekind of holding DM. Tnx for the suggestion.