roadrunner89

Reaction score
Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea:
AVB goes after just nine months

View attachment 231130
Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked by Chelsea after less than a year in charge at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea's decision comes on the back of Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with AVB’s former club Porto and a run of just three Premier League wins in their last 12 games.

The 34-year-old Portuguese only took over as manager in June 2011.
Former Chelsea midfielder Roberto di Matteo has been put in charge as first-team coach on an interim basis until the end of the season.

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS'S 257-DAY REIGN AT CHELSEA

• 22 June 2011: Signs three-year contract after Blues pay Porto £13.3m in compensation
  • Aug 2011: Pays combined transfer fees of around £45m to bring in Oriol Romeu, Romelu Lukaku and Juan Mata
  • Sept 2011: Four-game winning streak ends with 3-1 defeat at Manchester United
  • Oct-Nov 2011: Chelsea win twice in nine games, a run that includes 5-3 home defeat by Arsenal
  • Jan-Feb2012: Chelsea win just three, highlight of which is beating Wigan 5-1
  • 19 Feb: Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea
After Tuesday’s defeat at the Estadio do Dragao he said: "It's not been good enough for some time. We're fifth in the league and if that is the case, something's wrong. Every defeat piles more pressure on any Chelsea manager. We don't win enough and that does not make us proud."

Di Matteo, 41, played for Chelsea from 1996-2002 and won two FA Cups, scoring inside 42 seconds in the 1997 final against Middlesbrough, the fastest goal in a final at the old Wembley.

He also won the League Cup, the Uefa Cup, the Uefa Super Cup and the Charity Shield whilst at Stamford Bridge.
His managerial career began at Milton Keynes Dons in 2008 and he guided them to the League One play-offs in his first season, losing to Scunthorpe on penalties in the semi-finals.

Having moved to West Brom he secured promotion to the Premier League in his first season as the Baggies finished runners-up to Newcastle but his team were thrashed 6-0 in their first match in the top flight, coincidentally at Chelsea, and he was sacked in February 2011.

Four months later Di Matteo was named as assistant to Villas-Boas before their partnership was ended, in another ironic twist, following defeat at the Italian's former club.

The question now is can Roberto Di Matteo do what AVB couldn’t?

Last edited:
Very good idea, mate. It's not often that an actual former manager gets appointed on a caretaker basis, so it'll be interesting to see if Di Matteo can do a good job and get it permanently. Good luck!

Very good idea, mate. It's not often that an actual former manager gets appointed on a caretaker basis, so it'll be interesting to see if Di Matteo can do a good job and get it permanently. Good luck!

Thanks bud

Andre Villas-Boas lacked support from club - Lee Dixon
View attachment 231129

Chelsea's players must take a share of the blame for the sacking of manager Andre Villas-Boas, according to BBC football pundit Lee Dixon.

Dixon also says Villas-Boas should have been backed by owner Roman Abramovich.
"If the players don't like the way he manages, then fine, just shut your mouth and get on with playing," he said.
"Abramovich could have put a halt to everything by saying 'let him get on with it and I don't care where we finish in the next two years'."

Chelsea's decision to sack Villas-Boas less than nine months after his appointment came after a run of three league wins in their last 12 games.

The former Porto boss only took over as manager in June 2011 after Carlo Ancelotti was sacked in May.
Dixon continued: "Players come out and do articles with newspapers saying 'I'm not getting on with the manager'. Just keep your gob shut and carry on playing and ultimately the manager will get his come-uppance whether he's any good or not.

"If you are not playing, then find a reason why you aren't playing and get in the team. And if you don't get in the team, then leave."

Di Matteo admits winning is what really counts, after scrappy Wolves victory
View attachment 231131
Roberto Di Matteo insisted on Saturday the three points were all that mattered as Chelsea stuttered to a 1-0 win over resilient Wolves.

That lifted the Blues two places up, only two points behind eighth-placed Arsenal as Di Matteo made it a win to remember - and also claimed a clean sheet - from his first match at the helm.

The 41-year-old's reaction to the scrappy victory was in sharp contrast to the attitude of the sacked Andre Villas-Boas, whose obsession with attractive football was arguably one of the reasons behind his downfall.

Di Matteo said: 'You can discuss what you want about the past. I'm focused on going forward and getting the team in the right frame of mind to be able to win the next game.'

He added: 'Sometimes during the season, we have to win like this to get the three points.
'It's not always going to be easy and pretty.'

View attachment 231285View attachment 231286View attachment 231287View attachment 231288View attachment 231289
Chelsea win can fire title run-in

View attachment 231290

Di Matteo -- who has now won five games out of six since taking over following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas -- believes Chelsea's win over AC Milan can lift his side over the vital final few weeks of the season.

"It means a lot to the club that we're still able to play in the Champions League and you will also see how much it means to the players tonight," said Di Matteo.
Di Matteo admitted that Chelsea have gone back to basics as they attempt to plot their way past Milan.

"Were trying to be solid, trying not to concede goals. We're always confident with the quality that we have that we can score goals. Every win will increase the confidence of the team," he said.

Di Matteo meanwhile played down suggestions that his unbeaten record as Chelsea manager could enhance his claims to becoming a permanent appointment at Stamford Bridge.

"For me at the moment I'm just trying to win match after match, I'm not thinking about what comes after," he said.

"I don't really think about myself. I'm just focused on trying to win games for Chelsea football club and trying to get the best out of the players.

"We've got five wins in six games and conceded one goal. That's all I'm focusing on.

Frank Lampard: Chelsea beat Milan at their own game to claim Champions League advantage
View attachment 231393

Roberto Di Matteo’s men secured their first leg victory over the i Rossoneri despite it only being a goal which secured a remarkable victory for the blues.

Speaking to ITV Sport after the game the England Midfielder explained how Chelsea had managed to win and admitted they had ridden their luck at times.

“Just to play our own game, because in my opinion and in our opinion if you drop back too much against them they are so good they will beat you by far,” he said.

“So we had to beat them, in my opinion, in their own style. We gave everything and in the end we got a bit lucky but in the end it was a fantastic win.”
View attachment 231394

Are you just siming through a game with Matteo as manager? Like how did you put him at the helm and control the game?

View attachment 231486

Roman Abramovich insists Chelsea do not need Champions League

View attachment 231493
They currently sit 7h in the Premier League table, 23 points behind leaders Manchester United.

"Going through what were currently going through, it’s understandable." he said.

"We would rather qualify for it than not, it’s the only trophy that we haven’t won yet, but with Andre having to leave and Roberto currently doing that i don’t think i can see it”.

"It would be very foolish to say that we could qualify for Champions League, but i think honestly Europa is looking more than acceptable at this point."

View attachment 231490View attachment 231491View attachment 231492

following mate, love a great Chelsea story. Not the best results in the final update but other then that very impressive. GO CHELSEA!!