Pr1cey17

Reaction score
Recently ive seen a few people hiring a director of football on the forum and although i know how the role works in real life... is it worth hiring one on the game and if so how can they help at my club?

I will be starting with newcastle and intend to make several squad changes.

Personally I've never even tried having one. I'm a control freak in FM.

I am exactly the same, I like as much control as possible. Although I had a DOF on fm 2013 just to see what one was like, they provided no benefit at all. Imo the AI can never make the best possible decisions and therefore it is best left to yourself. I appreciate they have their uses IRL but for me in fm they are useless. :)

I don't like them in real life, and I've yet to see the point in FM. I tried one, mainly to help get rid of players transfer listed (they failed), they also failed to insist loan players had a recall clause, and then failed to land transfer targets. So I sacked him.

I always hire them just to help me get rid of players and out on loans.

But they can be very handy if you manage a small club,since they can find good players for you that you wouldn't have known about. I tend to let the DoF give me suggestions on players to buy and then just refuse the ones I don't want. Very handy if you are on a tight budget.

I never bother with them, head of youth development will deal with loaning out youth players so don't need one for that and I'm happy enough selling off players on my own. They don't seem all that great at bringing players in either, I tried doing a season where all I did was add transfer targets and let the DoF sign them and it's safe to say he failed.

Not really a fan tbh but in fm13 i hired arnesen and he found me quite a few good youngster and hot prospects. But in fm14 i hired him again to try him out and he did not bring in anyone, when game comes out defo wont hire one wont waste the wages;)

I'v only ever had one, Pantaleo Corvino. But that was on FM13, had purely just to bring good regens in through the youth intake.

i use them at first when starting a new club to help get coaches , players etc handy to use

Amen to that. I don't like the idea of someone higher up than me. Only thing I delegate is anything to do with under 18's as I always hire mick halsall as under 18's boss and let him run it.

Amen to that. I don't like the idea of someone higher up than me. Only thing I delegate is anything to do with under 18's as I always hire mick halsall as under 18's boss and let him run it.

I do like using them sometimes plus they do manage to sign half decent players when you struggle yourself.

i never use an DOF i see no use in them, saying that though i fully enjoy terminating Joke Kinnear contract it always brings a smile on my face:D.

They're good for offloading transfer listed players and loan listed players if you want to spend more time on other aspects.

You can use them to negotiate the youth contracts and youth intake as well which I find helpful.

In terms of actually buying players I've never had much joy... but they can be good at finding players you may overlook, I would just suggest handling transfer and contract negotiations yourself.

I feel they're definitely worth hiring if you don't already have one.
I hired mike rigg when I was managing Palace and he found me Abdi Ibrahim signed for 26k great young advanced play maker plays either central or att mid