Do I really need to affiliate a club to send non-EU players there to get nationality?

Messer

Reaction score
I signed an South Korean youngster in my Portsmouth game. He was capped at U-21, but isn't known enough for a work permit.

Is it possible to do ordinary loan deals to other EU countries, so the player that didn't get a work permit can accumulate his days there and maybe play on a good level to get into the national team?

My board is reluctant on affiliating a foreign club. I'll try to convince them but maybe it will be easier to send him to France or Portugal or some other country with accumulative citizenship.

Not sure if this list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballma...fm17_years_to_gain_eu_nationality_data_sheet/
is accurate, gonna check it in-game, but it seems it might work.

Or maybe I should send him to Germany, where he could play without issues and just sell him without worrying much?

No, you don't need an affiliate at all to loan the player. Having an affiliate for that reason just makes it easier - you always have that option and you typically target nations where they get citizenship faster. A standard loan abroad works as well. And yeah, if the player is never able to gain a WP, at least he's in the shop window for a sale.