England squad for Euro double-header

CtPauley

ORVP
Reaction score
Fabio Capello has selected a 25-man squad for England's two upcoming Euro 2012 Qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.

The squad looks like this:

WALCOTT, Theo - Arsenal
BENT, Darren - Aston Villa
CAHILL, Gary - Bolton Wanderers
COLE, Ashley - Chelsea
LAMPARD, Frank - Chelsea
TERRY, John - Chelsea
BAINES, Leighton - Everton
JAGIELKA, Phil - Everton
STOCKDALE David - Fulham (on loan at Ipswich)
CARROLL, Andy - Liverpool
DOWNING, Stewart - Liverpool
BARRY, Gareth - Manchester City
HART, Joe - Manchester City
JOHNSON, Adam - Manchester City
LESCOTT Joleon - Manchester City
MILNER, James - Manchester City
RICHARDS, Micah - Manchester City
CLEVERLEY, Tom - Manchester United
JONES, Phil - Manchester United
ROONEY, Wayne - Manchester United
SMALLING, Chris - Manchester United
YOUNG, Ashley - Manchester United
DEFOE, Jermain - Tottenham Hotspur
GREEN, Robert - West Ham United
PARKER, Scott - West Ham United

TheFA.com - England squad announced for Bulgaria and Wales double-header

In what way does Carroll warrant a call up? Happy with Cleverley, Jones and Smalling being there.

In what way does Carroll warrant a call up? Happy with Cleverley, Jones and Smalling being there.

There aren't many other strikers than him at the moment that warrant a call-up. Plus, he compliments the games of Rooney and Bent with his height and aerial prowess -- similar to Heskey prior to the 2010 World Cup. I believe that if he started in a 4-4-2 with one of the other strikers, he'd do well.

I wonder what Capello see's in Stockdale to keep on giving him a place, admittedly I haven't seen too much of him but aren't their others more deserving of a place?

Interesting that there is no Rio. Maybe we asked for him not to travel considering it's a hamstring injury. Happy Jones is called up, but think it's bad that he had to move to United before getting called up. Smalling deserves his call and happy that Cleverley finally gets his call up after the Holland game was called off.

I also have no doubts that Welbeck would have been in the squad ahead of Defoe had he not got injured today.

Was Stockdale in goal when Ipswich conceded 6 against Peterborough?? Apart from that no complaints.

Cleverly, yeah hes playing well and looks like one for the future, but does he really deserve a place there after playing a few games for united ?

Robinson/Foster declared themselves as unavailable for England for different reasons.

Carson...Is in Turkey.

I don't rate Fielding even if he's available, Steele is injured and...Is that about it?

We can't be too far off having to call up Steve Harper at Newcastle.

Rather annoyed Defoe gets in ahead of Agbonlahor though.

Also sidenote: Where the (Beep) is Matt Jarvis?

What does he have to do?...

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Cleverly, yeah hes playing well and looks like one for the future, but does he really deserve a place there after playing a few games for united ?

For me Jarvis should be in ahead of Cleverley just because he has been consistent and has showed his class.

He was good for Wigan last season - these are not his first top-flight games.

He was nothing spectacular for wigan, mostly a sub...

Interesting that there is no Rio. Maybe we asked for him not to travel considering it's a hamstring injury. Happy Jones is called up, but think it's bad that he had to move to United before getting called up. Smalling deserves his call and happy that Cleverley finally gets his call up after the Holland game was called off.

I also have no doubts that Welbeck would have been in the squad ahead of Defoe had he not got injured today.

Not a case of having to move, was always going up post U21 Euro's. Capello is a long time admirer. Welbeck was also getting called up, SAF already knew

Wait, what has Defoe done to earn himself a call-up?

He was nothing spectacular for wigan, mostly a sub...

To be fair I think he picked up 4 knee injuries and he had a rib scare back in December was it?

Hardly a 'smooth' loan spell at Wigan for him.

Robinson/Foster declared themselves as unavailable for England for different reasons.

Carson...Is in Turkey.

I don't rate Fielding even if he's available, Steele is injured and...Is that about it?

We can't be too far off having to call up Steve Harper at Newcastle.

Rather annoyed Defoe gets in ahead of Agbonlahor though.

Also sidenote: Where the (Beep) is Matt Jarvis?

What does he have to do?...

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

For me Jarvis should be in ahead of Cleverley just because he has been consistent and has showed his class.

Cleverley can play through the middle, as he has shown

Ashley Young takes Cleverley's spot in the middle (Central attacking role) then Jarvis takes young's spot in the squad as a wide man.

That would be what I would do.

And then take out Defoe for Agbonlahor.

looking at the OP Manchester has the bulk of the squad lol :)

Ashley Young takes Cleverley's spot in the middle (Central attacking role) then Jarvis takes young's spot in the squad as a wide man.

That would be what I would do.

And then take out Defoe for Agbonlahor.

Dont see the sense in sacrifcing him just to fit in Jarvis, when we are already missing wilshere and carrick