crofts11

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice so if this is in the wrong place please move it.

I'm Man Utd and have been playing with formations I think the F9 position could be very effective at Utd due to the wingers I have and the strikers.

I've been trying to find an answer to the problem of replacing RVP or Rooney when they get a bit long in the tooth so after a young guy. I've looked at Timo but they want ?38m already which seems a bit steep for basically a back up back up.

Now my position understanding comes from a different FM fan site
Football Manager 2014 New Features, the complete list • FM 2014 Stories

but what I want to know is:

should I look for a young AMC as from what I read in the link they basically drop back into there and let my IFs run riot, or should I look for a winger/striker like Zaha, Wellback or El Sharrawy or should I just got for a straight young striker like Rhodes who won't cost the world but seems to have good stats in all the forward attributes and not keep being told by my assistant that I am playing him out of position.

any help would be great

thanks,

For a False 9 you need a player who is good technically and mentally and have the right PPMs. I like mine to perform as an advanced play maker, drop into space and spray passes into the openings he hopefully created.

Players like Welbeck and Rhodes are not good options for the role because they dont have the technical ability or the PPMs. They are more of the stand on the last defenders shoulder.

I had success with Yassine Benzia as a replacement for Rooney. Sign him early and train him to have similar PPMs to Rooney. Other option is buy an AMC who can also play striker.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

When I think of a False 9, I think of an incredibly well-rounded player.

If I'm playing a False 9, he'll probably be up front himself without an AMC behind him. As such he'll be attracting quite a bit of attention from the defenders, so you want to be physically strong and ideally good in the air. FM doesn't consider these as important attributes for a False 9. However from my experience, lone strikers only work when they are physically well rounded, otherwise they get bullied far too much by defenders.

Because he's going to be dropping in deep into the midfield and helping with the build up play, and creating changes for the overlapping wingers, you want him to be an intelligent player.

As he's a striker, you also want him to be a good goal scorer.

IMO there aren't too many player out there that can become good False 9s.

I myself have been casting sneaky glances at Lukaku. He won't come cheap, but he's a physical beast, he works hard, he can score, has potential to be an intelligent player too. Only downsides are his passing is a bit shoddy and his dribbling.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking about flogging RVP and buying Volland, he is their op goal scorer his mental stats look good and the rest aren't too bad. What do you think??

For a cheaper alternative (and temporary), go for Rickie Lambert. Big, strong, good finisher and intelligent, only problem is his 'shoots from distance' PPM that annoys me personally, and his age, probably good for about 3 seasons before he falls apart.

I agree with guys who say big strikers are good as false 9's. Christian Benteke has done very well, he comes a bit deeper to get the ball, passes it to the wings and gets a running jump on defenders when the cross comes in.