muhammadrizka

Reaction score
The new season has been running, time for me once again try to analyse the real Arsenal tactic and apply it into the game. How making the team playing-style to fit with FM match engine, match stat, and individual roles, all in comparison to match reality and real life statistic as well.

I'm working on this with a fairly long process, make it nearly as possible with the real life and to achieve a more successful outcome. There will be a lot of detail statistics, comparisons, and more depth than was I make last season. You can find here.

Okey, enough opening. Here we go.

PS = apologize for my bad english. ;)

Note:
All chalkboards and statistics are based from all 15 Premier League matches Arsenal has played this season. And will continually updated.

TACTIC

Players Role Comparison

Compare the role players in real life and making sure the players move and behave like in reality into the game.
Real match statistic and analysis will be used to be compared with the FM ME.

Andre Santos & Bacary Sagna (WBL & WBR)

It can be said we rarely see these two players are paired as WB in last 15 PL matches. Besides various factors affecting (injuried etc), both of them also have the same attacking-minded WB. In fact, this season Arsenal have three attacking WB (Sagna, Santos, Gibbs) and Jenkinson as the defensive one. I choose them as a comparison because I think they are the best at wing back.
Different with last season as Clichy less freedom than Sagna, now the both side will have same freedom but still balance between attack and defence transition.

1wb.jpg

Comparisons:
- Sagna always hug the line, while Santos more flexible.

Real-life: passing stats:
- Santos 61.5 average passes per game, 85% pass success.
- Sagna 45.2 average passes per game, 88% pass success.

In FM: passing stats:
- Santos 60 average passes per game, 89% pass success.
- Sagna 51 average passes per game, 86% pass success.

Mertesacker/Koscielny & Vermaelen (DLC & DRC)

This position just similiar with last season. The DLC position is the more advanced one, pushing forward and trying to press higher up, while the DRC position is covering behind him. Something interesting, when Koscielny & Vermaelen play in DRC & DLC, they will look like swapping role as Koscielny PPM (Get forward whenever possible).

1cbm.jpg

Comparisons:
- DLC position more advanced, while DRC stay to cover.

- Vermaelen 51 average passes per game, 87% pass success.
- Koscielny 49.8 average passes per game, 85% pass success.
- Mertesacker 50.7 average passes per game, 90% pass success.

- Vermaelen 67 average passes per game, 86% pass success.
- Koscielny 47 average passes per game, 84% pass success.
- Mertesacker 36 average passes per game, 78% pass success.

Alex Song & Arteta & Ramsey/Rosicky (MCR & MCL & AMC)

As we know, Alex Song making his role absolutely influential for the midfield this season. In several early match, he play very fluid, finds himself more advanced and still strong to keeping shape the midfield.
But after several last match, Song looks more focus on his defensive-minded position.
The picture showing what the different (left-Song with advance & right with defensive-minded position).

1song.jpg

I choose Song with more defensive-minded to applied in FM. Important make the midfield balance to keep players transition. Song still allowed be advanced-look as his behaviour in FM to run with ball through centre.
Song’s stats prove that he is so much more than just a ball winner. The Arsenal-man beats the likes of Lucas, Gareth Barry and Scott Parker when it comes to key passes per game, successful dribbles per game and his aforementioned through balls per game. In fact, his figure of 1.4 key passes per game is only down on Stiliyan Petrov of defensive midfielders in the league, while his 0.9 dribbles is only trumped by another Villan - Fabian Delph.

The different from last season, might be with departure of Fabregas and Nasri. In 2010-2011 Fabregas act more attack-minded, and sometimes as False 10. Arteta have different style with Fabregas. Ramsey who trying to take this role still not good enough as his less attack-minded. This make the midfield looks more "flat" than before.
Arteta-Ramsey.

1mcamc.jpg

Comparisons:
- MCR will hold the defensive-minded position anticipate from the ball counter.
- MCL(playmaker) and AMC plays more fluid, swapping position sometimes.

- Song 64.3 average passes per game, 84% pass success.
- Arteta 79.2 average passes per game, 89% pass success.
- Ramsey 69.6 average passes per game, 87% pass success.

- Song 56 average passes per game, 92% pass success.
- Arteta 71 average passes per game, 90% pass success.
- Ramsey 49 average passes per game, 89% pass success.

Gervinho & Walcott (AML & AMR)

1ife.jpg

Comparisons:
- Walcott movement just drift forward at the right side, while Gervinho more wide moving around.

- Gervinho 25.3 average passes per game, 82% pass success.
- Walcott 23.1 average passes per game, 80% pass success.

- Gervinho 31 average passes per game, 86% pass success.
- Walcott 26 average passes per game, 85% pass success.

Robin Van Persie/Chamakh (FC)

This year, Cesc has been gone from a "False 10" position and Ramsey looks unable to fill Cesc role. This also impact to the attacking movement. Now RVP have a lot more working to do. As a striker to scoring goal, and his behaviour to be a "False 9" as his PPM comes deep to get ball.

1rvp.jpg

Comparisons:
- Last year, RVP behaves more like an AMC in his movements as Cesc still in "False 10". Now RVP more encourage to be goalgetter.

- RVP 28.3 average passes per game, 78% pass success.

- RVP 29 average passes per game, 81% pass success.

Formation
Losing too many influential players make Arsenal really looks struggling at the beginning season. This season Wenger didn't make radical changes with the formation. Got a little confused with movement conducted by the midfielder (Arteta-Ramsey-Song). And after all when they getting shape, its clear the formation still 4-2-3-1 or 2-4-3-1 when going attack.

The weakness, Arsenal really terrible with their pressing approach. Don't know if this caused by a numbers of players who have come this season. They look disjointed to press on each position, successfully impact on the team defense.

Real life stats:
Average: Arsenal has 59% possession, 85% pass success and 585 passes per game.

In FM, the formation should be like this:

arsenaltacticsteaminstr.png

arsenaltacticssetpieces.png

I'm using 'classic mode' this time. There's more important to see how the players doing exactly on the field rather than discuss about role. Due the role will produce different effect as the PI's tweaking. Make sure the player in MCL position always tick as Playmaker.

The improvement I've made:

• Slightly increasing tempo as in real-life Arsenal playing with a slow tempo that bores.
  • Defensive line push more higher. Now, Arsenal have good pressing system and strong defense as well.
  • Increasing some attacking mentality to give more sharpness on attack.

RESULT

englishpremierdivisionor.png

My game half season, give me unexpected results, specially at the defense sector.
This tactic producing more than strong side, beautiful passing style also. In terms of control the ball we have great possession number.

Half-season Statistic:

• Sunderland 0-3 Arsenal = 588 passes, 76% possession, 90% pass completion
  • Arsenal 2-0 QPR = 589 passes, 70% possession, 89% pass completion
  • Norwich 0-3 Arsenal = 514 passes, 65% possession, 88% pass completion
  • Arsenal 6-0 Stoke = 604 passes, 74% possession, 90% pass completion
  • Chelsea 2-4 Arsenal = 421 passes, 53% possession, 82% pass completion
  • Arsenal 1-0 Bolton = 539 passes, 64% possession, 85% pass completion
  • MU 2-1 Arsenal = 552 passes, 60% possession, 84% pass completion
  • Arsenal 3-1 West Brom = 426 passes, 65% possession, 87% pass completion
  • Arsenal 2-0 Swansea = 543 passes, 72% possession, 89% pass completion
  • Liverpool 0-3 Arsenal = 452 passes, 60% possession, 83% pass completion
  • Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle = 493 passes, 66% possession, 86% pass completion
  • Wolves 0-1 Arsenal = 560 passes, 64% possession, 85% pass completion
  • Arsenal 1-0 Wigan = 507 passes, 69% possession, 87% pass completion
  • Fulham 1-4 Arsenal = 579 passes, 70% possession, 87% pass completion
  • Arsenal 4-0 Blackburn = 803 passes, 83% possession, 94% pass completion
  • Arsenal 1-0 Aston Villa = 551 passes, 71% possession, 88% pass completion
  • Man City 0-1 Arsenal = 420 passes, 59% possession, 82% pass completion
  • Tottenham 0-0 Arsenal = 521 passes, 68% possession, 88% pass completion
  • Arsenal 4-1 Everton = 491 passes, 70% possession, 88% pass completion
Average: Arsenal has 67% possession, 87% pass success and 534 passes per game.

Last word, I can't promises you will win everything with the tactic because that is not my goal. I want to implement Arsenal real-life to the game, even with sum little tweak to make it more better.
Personally, I hope to receiving some feedback in this forum, to keep my tactical spirit on track, and inspire with brilliant ideas about this tactic.

Enjoy the game.
Cheers.

DOWNLOAD
Arsenal 2011-12 v1 (Arsenal, Aug 2011).tac

And I break my personal FM record.
arsenalvblackburnstatsm.png

arsenalvblackburnanalys.png

Arsenal 4-0 Blackburn = 803 passes, 83% possession, 94% pass completion.

Last edited:
Some helpful advice :

1. Pitch size : Default as you start the game with Arsenal.
  2. O.I : Important part as the tactics. Certain players will need specific marking, closing down and tackling solutions. Give your time to identifying who is considered to be the opposition’s main weapon. Therefore using too many at once may radically change the dynamic of the team, or end up giving your players conflicting instructions.
    • Striker : Pacey, High Flair, Tehnique ==> Tight Marking Always Only, (Weaker Foot Optional). Strong, Good Header Ability, Slow ==> Tight Marking Always, Closing Down Always, Weaker Foot, (Hard tackling Optional)
    • Winger : Pacey, Dribbler==> Tight Marking Always, Weaker Foot. Good Long Shot ==> Plus Closing Down Always.
    • Midfielder : Playmaker Style==> Tight Marking Always, Closing Down Always, Weaker Foot. Deep-lying/Defensive Mid./Anchorman==> Closing Down Always, Weaker Foot, (Hard Tackling Optional)
    • Defender : Ball Playing Def.==> (Weaker Foot Optional)
  3. Match preparation : Give very high workload and team work focus for the pre-season time. After that back to average with team work/attack movement focus for whole season.
  4. No touchline instructions. Be carefull with press conference and team talk as the team potential to become complacent. Always replace a player with rating 6.0 below.

Last edited:
This looks amazing like, winning 4-0 with 83% possession is ridiculous!

Amazing looking tactic. Will definitely be giving this a try. Arsenal are on my list of teams to manage, as I'd love to follow on Arsene's work and keep bringing through the youth.

Amazing looking tactic. Will definitely be giving this a try. Arsenal are on my list of teams to manage, as I'd love to follow on Arsene's work and keep bringing through the youth.
Love to wait your feedback mate :)

wow, really impressive lay out.. you really made some work with it.. i will certainly try it tonight as i am gonna start a save with them.. cause i see a really nice challenge as they didnt won for last 7(??) years...

wow, really impressive lay out.. you really made some work with it.. i will certainly try it tonight as i am gonna start a save with them.. cause i see a really nice challenge as they didnt won for last 7(??) years...
Hahaha yeah need to wait until several PL match to analyze and building the tactic.
And let me know the result so :)

Last edited:
first match against sunderland 4:0 with 552 passes and 79% of possesion, 4 ccc's and 4 woodshots excelent work mate!!
any recomendation to sign a few players?

Match preparation? Pep talk? Pitch size? OI? Thank you.

first match against sunderland 4:0 with 552 passes and 79% of possesion, 4 ccc's and 4 woodshots excelent work mate!!
any recomendation to sign a few players?
Great result for the 1st match,

Hmmm with my save I dont make any player signing, but maybe you need to backup Sagna & Song.
Sime Vrsaljko and Sven Bender is good.

Match preparation? Pep talk? Pitch size? OI? Thank you.
Match preparation focusing teamwork & very high on pre-season, and average on competitive season.
Pitch Size default as started with Arsenal, normal maybe.
OI, give opponent striker and winger to tight marking & weaker foot. For opponent midfield give Closing down always & weaker foot.

I'll added some helpful advice in OP soon.

This tactic is incredible! Played 9 games with it, won 8 and drawn 1.

Beat Chelsea 3-1 away
Beat Sunderland 2-0 at home
Beat Wisla 2-0 at home
Beat Bolton 2-0 away
Beat Swansea 1-0 at home
Beat West Brom 2-1 away
Beat Wisla 4-1 away
Drew with Everton 1-1 away

..Then ironically just beat Man Utd 8-2 at home! Not just winning games but creating 5+ CCC's and having 65+ possession each game. I'd post a screen shot of the results etc but don't know how. Fantastic work though!

Great result for the 1st match,

Hmmm with my save I dont make any player signing, but maybe you need to backup Sagna & Song.
Sime Vrsaljko and Sven Bender is good.

i'm in october and already sign cavani vrsaljko cissokho LARS bender willian and sigmuroson, everything going very well

Beat Chelsea 3-1 away
Beat Wisla 2-0 at home
Beat Bolton 2-0 away
Beat Swansea 1-0 at home
Beat West Brom 2-1 away
Beat Wisla 4-1 away

..Then ironically just beat Man Utd 8-2 at home! Not just winning games but creating 5+ CCC's and having 65+ possession each game. I'd post a screen shot of the results etc but don't know how. Fantastic work though!

WHo are you using and what's your team like?

Beat Chelsea 3-1 away
Beat Wisla 2-0 at home
Beat Bolton 2-0 away
Beat Swansea 1-0 at home
Beat West Brom 2-1 away
Beat Wisla 4-1 away

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate :)
Beating MU 8-2 ? That very nice revenge :p

Easy simple mate, just Alt+F9 to take the screen. Upload and post the link :)

i'm in october and already sign cavani vrsaljko cissokho LARS bender willian and sigmuroson, everything going very well
I think that would be enough for Arsenal :)

I want to know, people who had testing this tactic. About the playmaker passes per game? How many pass he make?

just one thing at you #2 post. its not possible to use touchspeach when using a classic tactic :)