Following a Legend: A Manchester United Story

Pr1cey17

Reaction score
Having never known a Manchester United without Sir Alex Ferguson it has been difficult to watch at times this season while David Moyes attempts to make his mark at the club. With this in mind my first story on FM14 will be a quest to sustain the legacy created by the great Scot... but by doing it my way!! David Moyes in my opinion has not put his stamp on the team either with signings or a specific style of football, playing it safe in the hope the championship winning team of the 12/13 season will win it again.

Feel free to be critical with my path, signings/tactics/results etc.. without your comments and feedback the story wont be a success.

The first thing to do was to get rid of the 'average' or 'surplus' from the team. Smalling was replaced by Balanta, Hernandez sold for 25 million and Valencia sold for 30 million giving me plenty of money to strengthen the areas needed. Lucas Andersen, Depay and Ibai Gomes were brought in for cover in the 3 AM positions, Will Hughes and Mason Bennett left Derby to join with Hughes returning for a year at Pride Park and Bennett leaving for a season of league 1 football. Barkley offers cover in any of the midfield positions, paid over the odds for Depay, Balanta and Barkley but happy with the squad. Zivkovic rejected offers from Real and Barca before joining us and then heading to Norway to join up with Ole Gunnar for a season.

View attachment 462533

Young and Nani will be given till January to prove themselves, i added a recall option in Depay's loan move to Twente incase cover on the wings is needed.

Balanta is much better than Smalling. ?25m for Hernandez and ?30m for Valencia should be considered a scam - I'd do the same.

With Pre season over and the Cup tie against Wigan coming up the first XI is starting to take shape, the usual suspects shone during pre season, RVP bagged 8 times while Shinji was pivotal in midfield. The key men this season will be;

View attachment 462532 View attachment 462531 View attachment 462530 View attachment 462529

Nemanja will be vital in making world class defenders out of Jones and Balanta, the next two years will hopefully see the big Serbian fazed out and the two young lads become a solid basis for the United defence. Wayne will have to put in a big season for me, after a below par 2012/13 season its time for him to step into the limelight RVP stole last season. Kagawa will be playing 99% of games this season injury permitting, him and Wayne will play off the back of RVP who will hopefully be leading the scoring charts again this season.

View attachment 462528 View attachment 462527 View attachment 462526 View attachment 462525

With one attackiong midfield slot up for grabs Adnan, Barkley and Ibai Gomez will all be given the opportunity to claim the spot. Ross will act as cover all over the midfield while my long term admiration of Ibai Gomez will hopefully be rewarded with the Spaniard being given a chance at the big time. Balanta will rival Jones to partner Vidic at the back this season, he has a lot to live up to after a near ?12 million price-tag.

View attachment 462524

So What do you think of the signings and squad? Where do i need to strengthen? Who's gonna shine?

how come you sold Hernandez & Smalling

I play with 1 striker and therefore couldnt say no to 25 million for him, as much as much as i love him, Welbeck, Rooney and RVP come above him in the pecking order. Smalling wasnt in my plans either after the signing of Balanta!!

Make sure you play Balanta as much as you can, and also have Vidic or Ferdinand tutor him.

He played 28 matches for me in the first season with an average rating of 7.92. This is how he looks before the second season:

View attachment 462523

A great start, but by no means getting carried away, a debut for Fellaini, Adnan, Barkley and the super Ibai Gomez who chipped in with a goal.

View attachment 462522

Unfortunately a late injury to Kagawa meant there was no debut for Balanta, but all of the debutees made a great impression. We were in control from start to finish and Wayne put in a MOTM performance to show he means business this season.

Next up Cardiff in the league opener... lets welcome the Welsh to the Premier League!!

A great start in the community Shield was followed by two sub standard draws in the month of august against Cardiff and Stoke. Although we dominated against Cardiff at home we couldnt find a way through, cutting edge was the same problem against Stoke who showed they were no pushovers.

View attachment 462511 View attachment 462510