Football Coaching

I use this to introduce youngsters to the step over (after explaining its use as a dummy rather than a repeated skill just for the fans, lol.)

Place a number of cones in line -- as you would for shuttle fitness training.

I hope I explain this right...

Have the players move to each cone and move their right foot around the cone (behind it from the left so that foot comes back around to natural side.) Then move left foot behind the cone from left to right and push out to left as foot comes to front of cone.

Repeat this (alternating leading foot at each cone.) This gives you the basic stepover movement over a small obstacle (instead of tripping over the ball all the time.)

When they are comfortable with the movement of their feet in this way add in a ball. I've used this numerous times and it really does speed up the development of this skill in younger players. I apologise if my description of the foot movements isn't very good, but you'll know what to do if you try it out :)

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

its annoying i have always wanted to do my coaching badges but have never had the funds. I love the coaching side ov the game and i know i wouldnt be short ov finding a team to help out in Portsmouth.

Clubs need our help and are usually more than happy to help finance our courses (the levels they'll pay you through vary from club to club.) You should definately ask about at your local clubs and see what they'll do for you in return for your commitment to their cause.

I use this to introduce youngsters to the step over (after explaining its use as a dummy rather than a repeated skill just for the fans, lol.)

Place a number of cones in line -- as you would for shuttle fitness training.

I hope I explain this right...

Have the players move to each cone and move their right foot around the cone (behind it from the left so that foot comes back around to natural side.) Then move left foot behind the cone from left to right and push out to left as foot comes to front of cone.

Repeat this (alternating leading foot at each cone.) This gives you the basic stepover movement over a small obstacle (instead of tripping over the ball all the time.)

When they are comfortable with the movement of their feet in this way add in a ball. I've used this numerous times and it really does speed up the development of this skill in younger players. I apologise if my description of the foot movements isn't very good, but you'll know what to do if you try it out :)

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Clubs need our help and are usually more than happy to help finance our courses (the levels they'll pay you through vary from club to club.) You should definately ask about at your local clubs and see what they'll do for you in return for your commitment to their cause.

thats a real good idea cheers mate i will get onto the fa.com and i might email some local teams.

i used to do informal coaching for the younger players when i was back in school, and its definite something i want to get into. the last few months we've all been talking about how things need to change, it'd be nice to make a change in my own small way, just have to decide whether to do it in manchester or london...

In my experience the best clubs (amateur) to get involved with are ones that are FA Charter registered. These are clubs that have already signed up and made a commitment to raising the standard of football within the country. Clubs have to fullfil certain criteria before they will be accepted as Charter standard too.

This is only my personal experience though -- I'm in no way suggesting that non-Charter clubs are not of the same standard.

In my experience the best clubs (amateur) to get involved with are ones that are FA Charter registered. These are clubs that have already signed up and made a commitment to raising the standard of football within the country. Clubs have to fullfil certain criteria before they will be accepted as Charter standard too.

This is only my personal experience though -- I'm in no way suggesting that non-Charter clubs are not of the same standard.
thanks, will be looking at everything over the weekend

Im a GK coach so cant comment too much really, give me a holler if you fancy any discussion regarding the MOST important position on the pitch :p

I think you need to talk to Robert Green..

I have a level 2 FA coaching badge mate and currently working towards my level 3, if you wish any help with coaching tactics etc etc please pm me, will be happy to help.

I have a level 2 FA coaching badge mate and currently working towards my level 3, if you wish any help with coaching tactics etc etc please pm me, will be happy to help.

Cheers -- I'm not working on tactics just yet, but could definately do with some pointers/ideas in a few weeks time :) I'll pm you in a couple of weeks if that's ok? Thanks.

hey guys cant say i am a coach but it was interesting to read this Thread,will be keeping an eye on this

Just before I log off for the night, I wanted to ask for some ideas...

I am writing a very basic manual for kids aged 11 (the age group I coach). They will be able to take this home with them as homework (saves a lot of boring talking time on the training ground). Basically, I am going to write a very short paragraph detailing the basic requirements of each position on the field and how it should affect / be affected by the other positions around it. The descriptions are very basic and quick (I don't want to bore the players). At the end of each position I am going to give examples in the follwing format...

Good players to watch in this position (defensive-midfielder) -- John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool) etc...

I was wondering if any of you could put forward some suggestions for players who are easy to follow (eg available through terrastrial viewing or SKY tv at most).

I do have ideas for all the positions, but no doubt some of you guys will come up with great additions.

If you could write any suggestions in the following format --

RB (attacking) -- Glen Johnson (Liverpool).

Positions I'll be covering initially are --
Full-Backs (attack-minded / disciplined), Centre-Back (ball player / slugger), Defensive-Midfielder, Holding-Midfielder, Attacking-Midfielder, Inside-Forward, Winger, Target-Man, Striker.

Thanks for any help :)

RM (traditional winger) -Valencia, he typifies how to take on, beat and skin you man down the flank when your on the ball, and how to tuck inside, and get goals when the ball on the opposite flank

CB (ball playing) Ferdinand, Alex,(not Vermaelen, as his defensive postioning is quite suspect, although you could use that as an example of what happens when you focus too much on going forwards)

Thanks -- great start :) I think examples will help the younger players grasp exactly what I'm trying to say. If I just use words they're very likely to switch off, lol. Saying that, adults can be just as bad sometimes, lol.

Positions I'll be covering initially are --
Full-Backs (attack-minded / disciplined) Glen Johnson / Vedran Corluka
Centre-Back (ball player / slugger) Rio Ferdinand or Agger / Vidic or Ledley King
Defensive-Midfielder Michael Essien
Holding-Midfielder Javier Mascherano
Attacking-Midfielder Luka Modric
Inside-Forward Ryan Babel, Leo Messi
Winger Valencia, Yossi Benayoun, Joe Cole
Target-Man Peter Crouch, Carlton Cole
Striker. Wayne Rooney, Darren Bent, Fernando Torres

Thanks for any help :)

See in quote.

Thanks, some good suggestions in there :)

I'll put a list up tomorrow and see what you guys think.

Hi, first post on this thread I think.

I've read this thread twice now, I found it very interesting, and I've bookmarked it. Although Im only 13, Im want to be a coach/manager or something like that when Im older. But I was just wondering, where would I start off, and how old would I have to be to start off?

Thanks ;)

I am doing the first FAI coaching badge for transition year even though i am only 15 and cant wait.
Its definetly something i will do when im older.
Oh Yeah I play for Raheny in the NDSL

i have a question to ask;
i live in nottinghamshire and i'm interested in going out and getting my coaching badges,
does anyone know how i go about it?

i have a question to ask;
i live in nottinghamshire and i'm interested in going out and getting my coaching badges,
does anyone know how i go about it?

Log onto the FA website, there is loads of information in there.

Hi, just having a look on the FA Website. Is the way to start by going onto there then coaches and then a bit at the bottom called 'Become a Coach, take your level one certificate in coaching football', then that bit where you contact your county? Then go to the website and book for the course. But I wont do that now obviously lol.

Just wondering what age do you have to be to start that? Im only 13 at the moment.

Last edited: