Football Manager should be more informative when making tactics

Metz

Reaction score
I think that most people who end up being frustrated or intimidated by the FM series is because of the tactic creation aspect.

Sure you can get a tactic right for a team after a lot of trial and errors, but there should be better ways to figure out what is going on exactly.

What I am suggesting now and what I have suggested in the past is that there should be more explanations of what is going on.

For example, when you are making a tactic, it would be ideal to know what this tactic will be like. It would be nice if we could get a summary of what the 4-3-3 formation will do if we have such and such duties/roles. We do get descriptions of each type of player and role, but we get nothing when it comes to them playing in a group.

I want to know what would happen if I have a midfield of 3, composed of a Defensive Midfielder (Defend), an Advanced Playmaker (Support), and a Central Midfielder (Attack). How will they be working together in general? What will they be doing with one another when my team has possession or when we are trying to defend from a counter attack? How will they work with the defenders or the forward? Slider modifications should also change the description because a lot can change when you play around with the sliders.

It would also be really good to know how the tactic takes place from back to front as a whole unit. Tell us how the general plays and occasional plays will go about once we start off from kick-off or when our goalkeeper has the ball. What will our team look to do exactly when our opponent has the ball? What are our forward doing? Midfielders? Defenders?

How will our tactic affect our opponent exactly? What are the weaknesses in our tactic (according to our coaches who can tell us exactly what is what depening on their skill levels). Coaches (or maybe only assistant coaches) should also suggest specific tactics and tweaks if they are really good at the tactical knowledge skill (you must take into account attacking, defending, etc.).

I am sure that if we get a breakdown of how our tactics and tweaks are working for the team as a whole on the pitch, more people will have a less harder time playing. Perhaps more people won't turn down Football Manager when they get to this aspect, as it can be fun seeing how things are described different by just doing a little tweak here and there.

What do you people think about this idea? A reply saying "that would be too complicated" is not welcome in this thread, as this isn't a complicated concept.

I think it would a good thing too. Also if you got feedback from your coaching staff as to wether so and so is gelling with so and so in certain positions (e.g. midfield etc)

I think it would a good thing too. Also if you got feedback from your coaching staff as to wether so and so is gelling with so and so in certain positions (e.g. midfield etc)

It would be ideal if they told you that something doesn't make sense in your tactics. Like you are leaving your wings too exposed or you don't have enough creative/defensive elements in your midfield, or your defensive line height (according to your tactics for the rest of the team) leaves you too vulnerable for counter-attacks.

that would be too complicated

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
Seriously though, it would be very hard for them to make, think of all the different possible tactics you can have!!!

that would be too complicated

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
Seriously though, it would be very hard for them to make, think of all the different possible tactics you can have!!!

It wouldn't have to change for every little slider tick. Every certain set of combinations can have a saved message, and when combined with other "saved messages" it will form a bigger summary. Even if it takes a while to make, it can be used for future FM games for years.

It would be ideal if they told you that something doesn't make sense in your tactics. Like you are leaving your wings too exposed or you don't have enough creative/defensive elements in your midfield, or your defensive line height (according to your tactics for the rest of the team) leaves you too vulnerable for counter-attacks.

That does exist, and it comes in the form of in-match advice from your coaches and assistant manager.

Not to be a ******** but if your playing FM I think you should some sort of idea about football and what works and what doesnt...

Read up on tactics and look at tactical analysis websites/books etc. Zonalmarking.net is really good... I suppose its not for everyone tactical stuff in football interests me but I would have thought many who play FM would also have some interest in it also...

I think the best they could offer would probably a brief overview of a tactic and how it works... As Scotty there says considering the numerous options available it could get incredibly complicated if you pick a completely different role for every player...

I would prefer to see a change to the tactical feedback your assistant gives during a game because its absolutely pointless... Telling me to close down their wingers cause their getting too much space... Well Mr. Assistant Iv got tight marking and closing down set to always but Im not man marking the ****** because my team might lose shape... I think that could be better...

Not to be a ******** but if your playing FM I think you should some sort of idea about football and what works and what doesnt...

Read up on tactics and look at tactical analysis websites/books etc. Zonalmarking.net is really good... I suppose its not for everyone tactical stuff in football interests me but I would have thought many who play FM would also have some interest in it also...

I think the best they could offer would probably a brief overview of a tactic and how it works... As Scotty there says considering the numerous options available it could get incredibly complicated if you pick a completely different role for every player...

I would prefer to see a change to the tactical feedback your assistant gives during a game because its absolutely pointless... Telling me to close down their wingers cause their getting too much space... Well Mr. Assistant Iv got tight marking and closing down set to always but Im not man marking the ****** because my team might lose shape... I think that could be better...

Agreed. The whole point of FM is a tactical challenge, and that would partly disappear if you kept getting spoonfed with too much and too detailed advice from the staff or the game itself. Having that said, the assistant manager's feedback really needs some tuning. Oh, I should close down their right winger? Well I've already set him to be closed down, and I've even got my left back marking him. I don't suppose you could yell that advice out to my left back instead of telling it to me? Oh, we should focus more on defending set pieces in the future? Good thing I focused on exactly that before this game and many previous games, and that it's obviously not paying off. :mad:

watch an entire match of your team. it is pretty clear where you are struggling. Plus you have your assman making useful comments. anything more would really dumb the game down.

Oh, we should focus more on defending set pieces in the future? Good thing I focused on exactly that before this game and many previous games, and that it's obviously not paying off. :mad:

This one drives me mad Iv set this to default on mine... Setting most of my team to man mark seems to work a bit better but I still get caught out...
I will say at least one training attacking set pieces does seem to work to some extent...

Can zonalmarking.net be translated directly into FM? Like is the Match Engine at par with real movements and tactics?