masquerade

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got the game a couple of days ago and I took one season as a "try", i started with Lazio, as I always do. First half of the season was ok, winning some and losing some, second half was a disaster. I watched some of the matches and obvioulsy the problem was the defense, the central defenders I managed them to defend more or less properly, put a defensive midfielder and one central defender pressing a lot with that guy and the other central defender on the back, it was ok with them. The problem are the full backs. Especially the left side, i cant stop them from crossing, and my left back is a good defender i think, Stefan Radu. Its frustrating cause im telling him to defend but he cant stop nobody. Could you give me some advice about how to stop them from crossing so much? I tried thigt markin but is worse. Thanks!

ideally we would need to see your tactics but I presume your left winger is on attack duty (or a role that requires little defending) try getting them as support if you can so they will drop back and help your FB

By any chance, are you instructing your players to show their wingers onto their weaker foot.... as leaving that space will invite crosses.

How do you tell your fullbacks to defend? Do you mean you give them a defend duty? They'll defend regardless of duty.

Your fullbacks won't be able to stop every cross. It's possible that he's isolated. It's possible that his defending is fine, but you're only seeing the one or two highlights where he's not able to stop the attacker.

If you post your tactical setup, you will get some advice. If you want a decent analysis of what's going wrong, post your tactic and upload a PKM.

Thanks for the answers im going to put some screenshots when I get home. I dont give the team opposition instruction really I used to do it but the structure of the team breaks. yes sometimes I saw him isolated one on one against the rival. I understand I dont want him to stop every cross, its impossible but thats how I receive the goals really and with second opportunities after a corner or free kick but that's something I can fix in the set piece defense. I have an inside forward in front of him with attack duty. He started being defend duty but I changed it to automatic. I dont have problems on the other side cause I have the guy on support and a defensive midfielder there so he can cover the space he leaves. I watch the full match used to watch just key plays but I xhanged it to see where my team is failing. Thanks again for the answers as soon as I can I will put more info. Thanks.

Last edited:

That's the formation, I just put the player random so some of them are out of position as i started a new game. To not upload every instruction to the players im gonna just put what i have chosen for each of them.

Goalkeeper: distribute to full backs
FB- right-support: close down less - get further forward - more direct passes - stay wider
CB-defend: shorter pass - close down much more
CB-defend:shorter pass - close down much less
FB-left-auto: dribble less - hold position - pass it shorter
Anchor Man-centre-defend: shorter pass - close down much more
BWM-centre right-support: dribble less - hold position- shorter pass
AP-centre left-attack: get further forwards - more direct passes
IF-left-attack: shoot less often-shorter pass-more risky passes-sit narrower-close down much more
Winger-right-attack: roam from position-more direct passes-close down much more
AF-centre-attack: more direct passes-more risky passes-hold up ball-close down much more

And just another question if I play with a 4-2-3-1 with those "2" near the defence and the other three separated leaving the midfield "empty" its a good idea to play with shorter passes? or they will be too far and would be better to play more direct? Thanks again.

Last edited:
4-2-3-1 would better suit a slightly more direct style of play, but can still be used to play possession just less effective.

with your FB issue, your IF would be better off without the instructions you have set. Try playing him as a winger, see if that helps..

also with your BWM, maybe try playing him next to the anchorman. His job is to basically close down and press the ball, making his starting position further back may help with that and help with a bit of cover.

I'd also maybe try taking off 'set stuck in' and see how that fares

I have put a winger on that side and things have improved. I tried with the 4231 but they were too separated I just put three guys in the middle pressing like crazy and at the moment is working.