Glory Lost - A Newcastle United Story

Great story and some great results mate !

Btw, as sayd before, you over paid Otamendi. You can get him for 4.6 :)

EDIT : Love stories with detailed writing and in this story I can see it a lot. Fantastic write-work, defo following ;)

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE 2009/10

cccchamp200910mini.png

COCA-COLA CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYERS' SELECT

cccplayersselect200910.png

COCA-COLA CHAMPIONSHIP TOP SCORERS 2009-10

topscorer200910.png

SEASON OVERVIEW

Its been a fantastic season overall. Topping the league and breaking the Championship points record (previously set by Reading in 2005/6) was a particular highlight. Slightly disappointed we only had 4 players in the players' select thought! You would think we would have more defenders in the team, and the goalkeeper, given that we conceded the fewest goals!

Nonetheless, I was delighted with the season and so was Mr Ashley, according to Derek Llambias. My only question now is, will we have money to spend next season, or will I have to sell players to raise funds? I am hoping that the Europa League place will persuade Mr Ashley to spend a bit more cash on the side, but you never know.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Chapter 2 - Glory Regained? A European Adventure Begins
----------------------------------------------------
Alright lads, its time for a few layout changes, hope you don't mind too much, its just that typing it all up is starting to take a lot more time than I want it to, and I don't really like the 'underlining' of stuff, layout-wise, lol. Maybe its just me. Anyway, we'll try the new layout for this season (which I have now played, via my netbook while I've been marooned at my girlfriend's house over the last weekend!), if you don't like it, I will switch back to the old layout.

Cheers, cmbee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last season was a resounding success. My choice of formation and players had been vindicated. The Geordie public loves me. There are still, however, questions yet to be answered. Can this Newcastle team compete in the Premiership? After all, the Reading team that had smashed the Championship points record in 2005-6 was relegated only two years after being promoted. Can I, the manager, with limited experience, really lead the team to survival? Another intriguing prospect is Newcastle in the Europa League. We are in the competition on merit, of that there is no doubt, but this is a team that was designed to compete in England's second tier, not with some of Europe's best. We shall see.

The first big call of the season was whether to keep on Bernardo. We had agreed a fee during our loan negotiations at the start of the 2009/10 season. However, Bernardo had played an increasingly bit-part role in the team as Rodriguez emerged as a fantastic attacking force, while Guthrie and had also emerged as a strong option in midfield, with Lindgren proving to me a reliable and experienced backup for both central midfield and defensive midfield. On top of which, Bernardo's fee was around the £6m mark, which was simply too much for the club to meet until Mr Ashley declared a budget. So we let the lad go, along with Darron Gibson.

I know that I had a lot of positions to address and I'm hoping that I will have the budget to strengthen significantly.

--------------------------------------

Fortunately, other teams appear to be willing to lend a hand. I had pre-agreed prices in the loan deals involving Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Fabricio Coloccini. However, the proverbial spanner in the works is never far away for Newcastle. Deals for all three were agreed, but all wanted the club to pay part of their wages in return for accepting a lower deal at their new clubs. For Smith and Barton, I accepted this, I just wanted them gone, and some cash in for transfers. However, Coloccini's agent had the cheek to ask us to pay him £50,000 a week to play for Lyon. Absolutely no-dice, I thought. However, Lyon appeared to be more than willing to take him back on loan, with yet another hefty future transfer fee agreed (H)

I also have had a rethink on the strength of my squad. I just don''t think Leon Best will cut the mustard in the Premiership. He is already behind Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi in the pecking order, and I am looking at other strikers as well. Southampton have offered a bid of £1.5m and I have allowed Leon to speak to them.

In addition, we have something of a forgotten man in Wayne Routledge up for sale. Nothing personal for Wayne, but as I simply do not have any wingers in the side, we have allowed him to leave, on loan to begin with, to Portsmouth.

Also Xisco and Fabio Zamblera, two young strikers who had been out on loan last season, were both allowed to leave. The other high profile member of the squad to leave was Nicky ****, whose contract expired.

On the bringing players in front, my first signing was Joe Hart, the young Manchester City goalkeeper. I am delighted to have signed Joe, and he will provide strong competition for Steve Harper, if not even take his place! Also coming in are Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic, from Chelsea, and strikers Artem Milevskyi from Dinamo Kiev and Alberto Paloschi from AC Milan/Parma, who co-owned him. The co-owning made negotiations difficult, as Parma were far less reasonable in their negotiations and the lad ended up costing £11m in total.

I've also brought in Lee Wallace from Hearts and Mikael Lustig to provide backup and competition for both fullback spots. Pierre Ducasse joins from Bordeaux, and I'd consider him something of a bargain at just £425,000. I've also signed a few promising young players in Alexandre Coeff, Nathanial Clyne and Danny Wisdom.

Its not all success though, I missed out on young Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku. I had tried to sign him several times last season, with bids accepted, only for the lad to say that he didn't want to play for a Championship side. I can understand that, after all, Anderlecht were in the Champions League. However, this season, we came back in with a generous £5m offer, only for Anderlecht to come back at us with a ridiculous price of £32m. So unfortunately, Romelu will be staying in Belgium, by the looks of things.

TRANSFERS IN - JULY/AUGUST

transfersinjulaug2010.png

TRANSFERS OUT - JULY/AUGUST

transfersout201011julau.png

Last edited:
Great sale of Barton mate. :)

Good luck for the coming season.

Cheers for all the continued support lads! Will do my best to keep things interesting, and not just pages of results.

Great sale of Barton mate. :)

Good luck for the coming season.
Yeah, was pretty pleased with that one :D still gotta pay his wages for two years though, £30k a week or something :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCING....

THE NEW MEMBERS OF THE SQUAD

JOE HART - Goalkeeper - £2.3m from Manchester City

Joe_hart.jpg

Joe was not able to secure a first team place in Manchester after a season long loan spell at Birmingham

I am delighted to have signed a talented young goalkeeper such as Joe. He has the ability to be a future England goalkeeper, and is certainly a goalkeeper of the future here at Newcastle. I will have to refrain from naming my #1 goalkeeper for the time being, but Joe and Steve Harper will certainly make it a very strong and interesting competition.

ARTEM MILEVSKYI - Striker - £3.4m from Dinamo Kiev

mil01.jpg

Milevskyi has become a regular in the Ukraine national side

Artem Milevskyi is no stranger to controversy - initially starting his international career in the Belarus U16 side, he switched allegiances to Ukraine, causing the Belarus and Ukraine FA into talks to settle the dispute. On the field, however, he has been excellent, helping Dinamo Kiev to the Ukrainian league title on four occasions. I am very pleased to capture Artem's signature for what I consider to be a bargain price, and we are hoping that he will help lead the line here in the North East.

NEMANJA MATIC - Central Midfielder - £4.5m from Chelsea

nemanja-matic-.jpg

Matic has not been a regular at Chelsea, but has turned out for Serbia

Most people won't have heard of Nemanja, but I can assure them that he is an absolute star in the making. He is supremely talented, and can do it all. A central midfielder that can tackle, pick a pass and challenge aerially, he is just what we need to strengthen our team for the Premier League.

ALBERTO PALOSCHI - Striker - £11m from AC Milan/Parma (co-owned)

albertopaloschi1.jpg

Alberto had become a regular in the Parma side

Alberto is set to become a fantastic (if expensive) signing for the club. He is quick, runs at defenders well and can score goals. He joins our legion of young strikers including Vaclav Kadlec and John Fleck, and I back him to score a few this season. His one weakness is that he isn't great in the air, though with Andy Carroll and Artem Milevskyi on the field, there shouldn't be a need for Alberto to have to challenge for the ball in this way. I am very much hoping that he will be able to live with the price tag which could weigh an otherwise vastly talented young footballer down.

MIKAEL LUSTIG - Right fullback - £3.5m from Rosenborg

Lustig_br_dtekst_75910a.jpg

Lustig has been a regular for both club and country in recent times

Lustig is a solid fullback, and I hope he will provide great competition for Danny Simpson. He is excellent both going forward and in defence, and his forte is making late runs down the flank to get crosses in.

LEE WALLACE - Left fullback - £6.5m from Hearts

lee_wallace_633576900690312500.jpg

Wallace came through the youth system at Hearts

Andrea Rossi was excellent for us in the Championship, but it remains to be seen if he can play on a Premiership level, or if he has the stamina to play a full season. Although Lee is also untested at this level, I feel that his ability will allow him to compete. Lee is also keen to test himself at a higher level and although he said he was sad to leave his boyhood club, he has told me that he is looking forward to testing himself.

You sold Krul and Smith :S

Anyways, good luck mate! (H)

sitelogo

An exclusive interview for The Northern Echo with three of the Toon's newest recruits, Joe Hart, Lee Wallace and Nemanja Matic.

Northern Echo: Welcome to the north east lads. Let us be the first to say that we are very much looking forward to seeing you next season. That brings me to my first question, which is quite an obvious one - do Newcastle have what it takes to stay up?

Joe Hart: Well, it will always be a struggle in the first year, and the aim is to avoid relegation, but I think Newcastle stand a very good chance. We've got a great squad here now, and a food manager to go with.

Lee Wallace: I agree with Joe, I think Newcastle have got all the tools to be able to stay up, maybe even sneak into the top half if we get some luck.

NE: Lee, you've come down from Hearts, is it a big adjustment from Edinburgh to Newcastle?

LW: No, not really. Quite a few people in Scotland support Newcastle as well as an SPL team anyway, so in a way, I'm playing for a team most people support up there already anyway. The only major difference is the accent.

NE: Joe, you've come to a team with an established number one goalkeeper. It seems a strange move for a young-talented goalkeeper who is looking for regular action? Are you happy to be sitting on the bench for another year?

JH: I don't think any footballer should be "happy" as such, to sit on the bench. In any case, I see the goalkeeping job as an open competition here. I understand that it is Steve's to lose, and if I have to sit the whole year on the bench, so be it, but I will have to re-evaluate next season and try to push harder for a first team spot. That said, Steve has waited a long time for his chance, and he deserves to be where he is now. But we're both professionals, and we both want to play. Its sport, thats the way it should be. We will push each other to perform better.

NE: Nemanja, you find yourself in a similar situation to Joe. You didn't play any games for Chelsea at all last season, was that disappointing? How disappointed would you be to find yourself on the bench for Newcastle this season?

Nemanja Matic: It was disappointing, but Chelsea had such quality in their side, that they felt my services were not required, which is their decision. I would be disappointed to find myself on the bench here of course, but I will work hard to make sure I can get onto the team sheet each and every week.

NE: What attracted you to the club?

NM: Of course, the chance to play regularly, but also the chance to work with Chris Beech. I was there when Chelsea lost in the Carling Cup final. I was very disappointed, but at the same time, I could see that the manager had a plan, a vision, for this club. When he came calling, I had no hesitation in joining.

JH: Yeah, definitely the opportunity to play, the great fans here, the history. We want to help the club to win things. The fans got a taste for it last season, so did some of the players, obviously they liked it, we want to taste that too.

LW: Its a chance to test yourself at a higher level for me. No disrespect for the SPL, but the Premiership is a big step up. Lads have come down here before and haven't had success. I'm hoping I won't be another one of those players.

NH: Thanks lads, all the best for the upcoming season.

You can all see Lee, Joe and Nemanja in action when they kick off Newcastle's Premiership campaign against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Great story so far, I support Man Utd, but I have always kind of liked Newcastle besides them beating us to the signing of Shearer, but then again we did beat you to sign Rooney.

Well I had abit of a soft spot for Newcastle until Ashley sacked Alladyce and Keegan, and then I wanted them to be ruined but now I like them again.

Looking forward to next season of your story.

I like that you bought mikael Lustig i bought him for sunderland in 09/10 and has been regularly playing for me now for 4 years

yeah, sorry lads, haven't played a whole lot lately. i will update this soon.

Hello

Hello,
sorry first for my English because I am Spanish and I use the translator.
I have been following your story for a while and have done the same sales and transfers them to your less certain players.
I'm still in preseason and I would like to continue with your story that is very good
Thanks
:)