RuggyLAD

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am aloud to post this thread in the tactics section but if not, can a mod please move it somewhere else because I would like to seek advice from the more experienced tactic creators.

I am a massive football manager fan and I have played most football manager series, but throughout the years I have always been using other members plug and play tactics. On Football Manager 2013 I have started to use many plug and play tactics but I don't find it enjoyable anymore trying to use someone elses tactics.

So my question is - what advice can you give me to improve my knowledge on creating great tactics? I have been reading Raikan's beginners guide and have found it quite useful, however I would like to go into more depth and hopefully one day have other members using my tactic as a plug and play.

Please find the time to pass on any advice you may have, I would really appreciate any help given!

If you wish to PM any advice you may have please do so.

Thank you!

This is more or less what I've done:

Firstly become a bit familiar with what all the sliders and setting do. Have in your mind what kind of football you'll like to play. Using your knowledge of all these settings and sliders, etc. make a tactic! I've tended not to use the tactic wizard but rather get into the nitty gritty all by myself.

I usually arrange my formations and roles (e.g. BWM, Adv. Playmaker, Poacher) etc. THEN I start tweaking the default individual instructions to suit what I want. It's daunting at first but don't be discouraged or afraid!

But the most helpful advice I can give is to you is to have both your own tactics made as well as use other people's tactics that you really enjoy using and admire. When in game, switch between your own and the other person tactics, and really NOTICE and take note of the differences in the way the player's operate. Then you can compare the individual settings you've made and what the other tactics have. This is probably the way that I've learnt the most from... to learn about the flaws and strengths of other people's tactics. Many times I've had these AHA! moments by doing this.

Also participating in these forums and reading other people's opinions and advise is also very helpful.

This is more or less what I've done:

Firstly become a bit familiar with what all the sliders and setting do. Have in your mind what kind of football you'll like to play. Using your knowledge of all these settings and sliders, etc. make a tactic! I've tended not to use the tactic wizard but rather get into the nitty gritty all by myself.

I usually arrange my formations and roles (e.g. BWM, Adv. Playmaker, Poacher) etc. THEN I start tweaking the default individual instructions to suit what I want. It's daunting at first but don't be discouraged or afraid!

But the most helpful advice I can give is to you is to have both your own tactics made as well as use other people's tactics that you really enjoy using and admire. When in game, switch between your own and the other person tactics, and really NOTICE and take note of the differences in the way the player's operate. Then you can compare the individual settings you've made and what the other tactics have. This is probably the way that I've learnt the most from... to learn about the flaws and strengths of other people's tactics. Many times I've had these AHA! moments by doing this.

Also participating in these forums and reading other people's opinions and advise is also very helpful.

Thanks for the advice,

I think it is quite daunting when you first look at all the sliders. I always take on a challenge on FM so I'm mostly using underdog teams so trying to create a formation that will beat all the odds is quite difficult.

Should I tamper with all the player instructions? I don't usually touch any of that but if it's vital in creating a great tactic then I will try to experiment.

it's not vital to tamper with all the player instructions. However often you'll learn to find that the default settings makes players play in a way that you don't want.

With underdogs teams you'll probably have to create a rigid, solid-defending tactic. Would probably use a 4-1-2-2-1 against weaker or at-your-level teams and a 4-5-1 against much stronger teams.

You would find with most of the download tactics, most of them have heavily modified the default settings.

as ruggy mentioned, you have to start from the beginning, leave most settings as defualt for the roles you choose and then slowly but surely start to adjust the sliders according to the players strengths and weaknesses..

but before doing all of this, as I mentioned in my guide and ruggy above, have a set "style" of football in mind, do you want to play deep and on the counter as you mentioned you are an underdog team.. then play deep, wide, quick and on the counter using a rigid or balanced approach