How to play like Wengers Arsenal

Kieran Mistry

Reaction score
It took me about 6 months to study how arsenal play and transfer it to fm to make it look as close to perfect as i can but I think ive finally done it. All ive got is the 9.1 version so if it doesnt work on the others unlucky. The attributes your players need if your signing anyone or trying to use these tactics with a different team are creativity, flair, technique, stamina, passing and teamwork. The best country to search for these type players is France, they have loads of under 21's with 14 or 15 for all these attributes. The only players i signed for Arsenal in my 1st season were Arshavin and Defour. The big thing i stressed was that the whole team plays as 1 unit all on the same mentality so that the tempo is always the same throughout. The mentality was 4 from the top on attacking and 7 from the top on away games even against smaller teams because you need time to break them down instead of going gung ho. Creativity right at the top and passing right at the bottom (short). Tempo was 3 from the top on home games and 5 from the top on away games. Closing down is 3 quarters of the way to the top so the 1st notch on "whole pitch". Time wasting is a quarter of the way to the bottom because sometimes ive spotted Almunia taking up to 3 minutes on goal kicks! Tacklings on normal for away games and hard for home games but you can switch that to normal if theres too many bookings. Focus passing is mixed theres no playmaker or target man and tight marking is on for everyone except the strikers. Corner kicks go to "6 yard box" free kicks go to best header which normally turns out to be Toure so i got that right and throw ins are quick and are always taken by the full backs. Oh and counter attacking is on of course this is Arsenal we're talking about.

Goalkeeper

The keepers instructions are very simple i put his forward runs, run with ball, long shots, through balls and cross ball on rare and cross from deep just incase he did come out of his goal for whatever reason.

Full Backs

The full backs are a huge part in Arsenals tactics as they do the most running/work. Forward runs on often and the same with run with ball, long shots on rare, through balls on mixed and cross balls on often and leave cross from on mixed because most of the time youl see them going to the byline, especially clichy. For corners i had them both on stay back.

Centre Backs

Both centre backs with rare on everything and cross ball from deep. For Toure i put challenge keeper on corners and for Gallas i put stand on far post
. Toure ended up with more goals than all my midfield except Nasri.

Centre Midfield

For the left sided player i have Often forward runs and through balls, mixed long shots and rare crossing and run with ball. Cross from mixed and for corners attack ball from deep. And i put them on Free role. The best players for this postion are Fabregas, Defour and Nasri. For the right sided player i have mixed on forward runs, run with ball and long shots, rare on cross ball and often on through balls. No free role for this player but you might find he ends up with the highest average rating overall. Best player for this position is Denilson by far but Diaby and Song do a reasonable job too. For corners i put this player to stay back aswell as i usually see denilson at the half way line when Arsenal play. If u find Fabregas isnt playing as well as you want him too you can always put him in the "defensive" role and put him on hold up ball.

Right/Left Midfield

This is the most straight forward postions i think its just often on forward runs, run with ball and cross ball with cross ball on mixed. Mixed on through balls and long shots. For corners i put both on attack far post, this way they wont be the player to header the cross in but they could ****** a rebound. I find it best to play Eboue on the right and Nasri on the left but i could see alot of people prefering either Arshavin or Walcott or even both to my pick.

Strikers

Arsenals strikers mix and match every weekend, but usually its Adebayor and Van Persie with Adebayor playing a little bit ahead and Van persie doing a little bit more work and coming deep to collect the ball from the midfield as hes better on the ball and less of a predator in front of goal than Adebayor. So Van Persie on the left with everything on mixed and with a free role, Adebayor the same but without the free role which makes it him 9 times out of 10 that the crosses go toward. Eduardo can play Van Persies role and Bendtner can play Adebayors. A little tip is Bendtner is the best impact substitute ive seen in the game, always gets a chance.

Please let me know what you think of my tactics and how close they were to the real Arsenal!

I enjoy trying to get teams playing in FM the way they do in real life so if anyone knows how to imitate ANY other team please let me know and i will continue to do the same. Right now im trying Porto but i think ill give up and try Chelsea or Liverpool as i only enjoy watching the Premier League or sometimes La Liga.

Last edited:
6months? woah!

surely it only takes a few minutes at most 10minutes, All you have to do watch one of arsenal's game irl then from instint you know how they play..you dont need months of studying. it just comes naturally in your head if you get me..

Play high tempo, short passing, same mentality throughout the team so you dont leave any gaps between the linesso that all you players are close together. Set fabregas playmaker and adebayor target man and so on..

6months man surely thats over the top?

plus you said 'if fabregas isnt playing well you can always put him in the "defensive" role and put him on hold up ball.'

sure what you said there make fabregas play worst? fabregas a defensive role? if he plays bad take him off the pitch easy..

Last edited:
6 months, daaayum, did you like watch 6 months of arsenal games, and then tweak the instructions back and fourth and then watch player cam and see all of the arsenals players player instructions? if by now you havent realised, im siding with gatid, but still if it works then nice on. just maybe took yah a bit too long, considering the game has only been out for bout 6 months...

you only need 1 game to see how arsenal play........ fast, attractive football.... and on the day where everything fits into place..... its magical

WENGER IS LEGENDARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep i actually realised if i had just done the tactics after the 1st game i would of got it the same, i didnt watch alot of games though i had a job for ages.

Last edited:
what do you mean by saying full backs.
usually arsenal plays

almunia(goalkeeper)
sagna(rightback) toure (centre back ) gallas (center back) chlily (left bac)
arshaving (right midfielder) fabregas (centre ) denilson(center) nasri (left)
van persie(striker) adebayor (striker)

where are full backs in these formation? you mean centre backs are full backs?

usually arsenal plays

almunia(goalkeeper)

What are you on about? oO)

usually arsenal plays

almunia(goalkeeper)

full-backs are the attacking version of defender left/right so basicially 'WBL/WBR'