How to stop your team passing aimlessly around opposition half?

jb_0792

Reaction score
I'm absolutely sick of my players just playing constant, non-threatening short passes to each other in the opposition half. My wingers never take their man on, instead they turn around and pass it backwards, at which point my fullback turns around and passes it inside, and so on and so forth until my DMC decides to take an awful shot from 40 yards. Has anyone found a tactic or the settings to stop them doing this? I'd rather my players play constant through balls and crosses.

indeed. For a bit of fun I had my three CM's set to 0 Creative Freedom, Every option rarely except for Through Balls often. Thier passing was set to full, max 20 long.

Each made more long shots (Three CM's made about 8 long shots for the match) and only a handful of forward passes. Some long shots their was a passing option either short and a few times through balls into space avaliable . The Engine is seemingly a bit off or I'm just awful at making tactics.

Last edited:
The match engine AI is ****, it needs patching. The players do the most retarded things.

Do you have it set to work the ball into the box? If so they will pass it back and forth about 35 yards out.

Two options:

1) Under team options, increase width, focus passing down the flanks, and ensure the full backs are set to 'attack'. You could also try increasing the tempo so that your team tries to create a chance before the opposition gets everyone behind the ball, but you will obviously turnover possession more often.

2) Get faster / better wingers. Perhaps they aren't beating their man because they can't.

Two options:

1) Under team options, increase width, focus passing down the flanks, and ensure the full backs are set to 'attack'. You could also try increasing the tempo so that your team tries to create a chance before the opposition gets everyone behind the ball, but you will obviously turnover possession more often.

2) Get faster / better wingers. Perhaps they aren't beating their man because they can't.

This ^

And if you like that style of play, counter like, you could also use "get ball forward", "Clear to flanks", play "Direct" passes. Also change the Winger player instructions to "Hold ball" less, "run with ball" more and "run from deep" often... Just keep tweaking until you find the play style you like :)