I Just Can't Manage Premier League Teams

Ccllnply

Reaction score
Bit of background. I'd consider myself to be a fairly decent Football Manager player. I improved a lot after buying Football Manager 2009. I've got Aldershot Town from League Two to win the Domestic triple, 3 years in a row. I've got Bradford from League Two back up to the Premier League in 5 years. I've got FC United up to a mid-table Premier League team in 9 years. And in my current game, I got Hadley from Level 10 to League Two with consecutive promotion the whole way up.

Despite this, I am totally useless when it comes to managing Premier League teams. I've tried managing Hull City about 6 times, and the furthest I got without being sacked was half way through the second season, and then we were stuck to the bottom of the PL table.

After that I just gave up and said, **** it, I'll just cheat. I gave myself a budget of £150m, made up a few good players, gave myself a 200,000 seater stadium and top training and youth facilities. And embarressingly, I still got sacked at the end of the second season.

I've started a new game, I'm in my third season and the highest I can get to is 9th, after spending £140m. I just can't beat the top teams, and our form is so incosistant no matter what I do with tactics.

I'm guessing it's my tactics that are the problem, since it does seem to matter what players I have.

yeah mate i have the same problem, im an animal in league 1, 2 and below, but in the prem and even some championship teams i cant do well

The thing to do is just to keep at it. Pick a team like Bolton where expectations aren't too high. Slowly get to know them and then find the right tactic. This is key because if you don't have a tactic that works then having good players doesn't make any difference. Concentrate on youth. I wouldn't sign more than four players every season as this could upset the balance of your side. Maybe sign 3 low cost youth players and one bigger signing. Gradually, you will find yourself getting better and you will really start to enjoy the game. I also recommend aiming for a mid table finish for the first couple of seasons, if you set your expectations too high, you will end up disappointed. Good luck in your next game. :)

I'm actually the exact opposite, I can't do LLM to save my life but I got Sunderland to EPL glory in 3 seasons on FM09. Not as good of an achievement as Max as he won it in two but I was quite happy with how I done but I can't gt teams out of lower leagues

Same here Jamie. I fail at League One and lower. I am shocking at it. :'(

My problem is that I can't make a tactic to suit a lower league team. I've got good players but never a good tactic. My last FM09 save I used an old DB by Kris which was the UK super League and got Linfield from BSP to League 1 with consecutive promotions. That's the only thing I have done well in lower leagues

The thing to do is just to keep at it. Pick a team like Bolton where expectations aren't too high. Slowly get to know them and then find the right tactic. This is key because if you don't have a tactic that works then having good players doesn't make any difference. Concentrate on youth. I wouldn't sign more than four players every season as this could upset the balance of your side. Maybe sign 3 low cost youth players and one bigger signing. Gradually, you will find yourself getting better and you will really start to enjoy the game. I also recommend aiming for a mid table finish for the first couple of seasons, if you set your expectations too high, you will end up disappointed. Good luck in your next game. :)

Ok, I'll give it a go. Any tips on the tactics though? I've tried all sorts of things. There was one tactic that seemed to be working for a while. Got me 6 wins in my last 7 matches of my first season in one of my saves. Then I got to the next season and it just wouldn't work anymore.

For me it's the opposite, I'm O.K in the Prem but useless in the lower leagues :S

Bit of background. I'd consider myself to be a fairly decent Football Manager player. I improved a lot after buying Football Manager 2009. I've got Aldershot Town from League Two to win the Domestic triple, 3 years in a row. I've got Bradford from League Two back up to the Premier League in 5 years. I've got FC United up to a mid-table Premier League team in 9 years. And in my current game, I got Hadley from Level 10 to League Two with consecutive promotion the whole way up.

Despite this, I am totally useless when it comes to managing Premier League teams. I've tried managing Hull City about 6 times, and the furthest I got without being sacked was half way through the second season, and then we were stuck to the bottom of the PL table.

After that I just gave up and said, **** it, I'll just cheat. I gave myself a budget of £150m, made up a few good players, gave myself a 200,000 seater stadium and top training and youth facilities. And embarressingly, I still got sacked at the end of the second season.

I've started a new game, I'm in my third season and the highest I can get to is 9th, after spending £140m. I just can't beat the top teams, and our form is so incosistant no matter what I do with tactics.

I'm guessing it's my tactics that are the problem, since it does seem to matter what players I have.

If your'e going to cheat,edit the other teams!!!!

Always tweak your tactics, not necessarily do much to it just move a couple of sliders up or down by a notch. That should do the trick

it might be because smaller teams have easier expectations meaning a bad run form isnt that bad while a big cant take a bad run of form as they need to be near perfect

i would say im alright at footy manager...no matter what team i am, i can never seem to find the right tactic...when i seem to create a good tactic, a few games later i start losing again and it just annoys me