Inaccurate scout reports on wage demands

Sejanus

Reaction score
Can someone please explain this to me? I have good scouts (15 PA/PP), they tell me a particular player is willing to join my club and estimate he will ask for wages of 850 to 1,600 a week, yet when I approach him I am told he doesn't want to join and will only do so if made a key player and demands 5,000 a week with 750 appearance and goal fees.

He is currently backup for his current club, on 1,200 a week with 240 appearance and goal fees.

The wage the scout is suggesting is based on the perceived role they'd have in the team.
The CA (star rating) is their suggested squad status [in my opinion] so the reason they don't match is becasue the Wage being sugested is not for a Key player.

Also his initial wage demand will start high as he (or his agent) will obviously be trying to get the best deal possible. Try offering a lower squad status & haggle from there.

I've tried haggling, but the most I've been able to get him down to is 4.7K pw as a key player (the highest my board will allow me to offer a key player is 1.6k, and I wouldn't want to go any higher than this anyway). His stats are ideal for what I want him for but he is still only assessed at 3 1/2 to 4 stars.

I can understand he may be reluctant to join a club having a frustrating season in the league one level below his, but then again, why would my scouts tell me he is willing to join when he isn't and be so off on his wage demands.

A trick I sometimes use is to offer a relegation release clause of zero (if I don't think ill be relegated), A high sell on fee % (if I don't plan to sell him) & high bonuses for international appearances (If I don't expect him to make any). You can really slash wage demands this way! Some would call it cheating but if you want him badly enough......

How old are these reports?

The one I was using was about a month (game time) old. Though since I began this thread I've had an update on the player and the report has changed to say he has no intention of joining.

A lot could have happened in that month. He might just have signed a new deal at his current club or became happy after being unhappy, for instance.

most of the time, you can take a hit on the agent fee to get the player on a much lower wage from the off.

Thanks for the advice guys. I still can't work out why my target has changed his opinion, but to be asking for three to four times more than the scouts reported only a month later still seems strange. I've just wasted one of my precious scouts in watching him play for three matches.

Thanks for the advice guys. I still can't work out why my target has changed his opinion, but to be asking for three to four times more than the scouts reported only a month later still seems strange. I've just wasted one of my precious scouts in watching him play for three matches.
You didn't scout him for 3 matches just to get an idea of his wage demands, so I'm not buying that. If you wanted to know that, a simple, quick Report Card would have done the job. As I said, anything could have happened in that month.

Sorry WJ, but I'm not sure what your not buying. I never said I scouted him for three matches just to get his wage demands. He was flagged by one of my blokes scouting one of my cup competitions, I asked for a quick scout report, and when I it came back saying he was interested in joining and at very reasonable transfer costs and wage demands I asked the team to watch him for three matches to get a better idea of his stats and personality. I only have three scouts so I need to be very strategic in who I get reports on. If the initial report had said he wasn't interested, or he would want 4 to 5k, I could have had my scouts looking at someone else. You've answered my original question, and thanks for that, in pointing out that these demands are dynamic and that something must have happened in the month since the last report.

Last edited:
Offering relegation release clause at £0 has helped me pick up plenty of players higher quality players. Also offering high 30 goal bonuses to defenders, midfielders is also another ploy I use.

Sorry WJ, but I'm not sure what your not buying. I never said I scouted him for three matches just to get his wage demands. He was flagged by one of my blokes scouting one of my cup competitions, I asked for a quick scout report, and when I it came back saying he was interested in joining and at very reasonable transfer costs and wage demands I asked the team to watch him for three matches to get a better idea of his stats and personality. I only have three scouts so I need to be very strategic in who I get reports on. If the initial report had said he wasn't interested, or he would want 4 to 5k, I could have had my scouts looking at someone else. You've answered my original question, and thanks for that, in pointing out that these demands are dynamic and that something must have happened in the month since the last report.
It's just that you made it sound like that was the reason for scouting them for 3 matches, which isn't true.

What I do (if I have the time still!) is to get a scout report just before making offers.