Inventing Next Generation: Paris SG

rryanwilliams

Reaction score
View attachment 32048
Inventing Next Generation: Paris SG

Evening, back again for the third year to bring you a new save to experiment with on FM19. I'm a bit late to the new story threads as I've just been getting to grips with the new layout and doing a couple offline saves while I decide who I'll manage on this website. I've decided to go with Paris Saint Germain however while some may think it'll be a stroll with no challenge, I've given myself personal challenges to aim and achieve over the course of my career, so hopefully I can do this long term. I've just started uni a couple months ago so although that may take over my life, I'll try and post on this thread as much as I can in my spare time.

PSG: The Background

View attachment 32047

While PSG was only founded in 1970, their investment with billionaire Qatar owners has helped establish their name over the recent years. They really made a name for themselves by bringing in the two most expensive players in the world, Neymar & Kylian Mbappe. I hope to add to their tally of only 7 Ligue 1's, and maybe in the future bring a Champions League medal to the cabinet. As I want to build a 'next generation' for the club, here are my philosophies and challenges over the course of my career.

Philosophies

- Only sign players under the age of 23
- Bring at least 2 youth academy graduates into the squad every season (apart from first)
- Have a higher Income than Expenditure in player signings
- Predominantly have a French squad

Challenges - Short Term

- Win the UEFA Champions League
- Reduce the average age of the squad to 23 or below
- Stable the club's FFP (lol)

Challenges - Long Term

- Have a full French squad of under 23
- Win the Ligue 1 with only homegrown players
- France win the World Cup with at least 11 homegrown PSG players
- Make the manager's Hall of Fame list

May be unrealistic long term challenges, but if I stick to it and commit to the thread it's been done before, not saying it can't happen again. Would also appreciate any comments as to other challenges I can give myself, or of young French prospects that you may know of who I can bring to the club.

Next Post: Pre season, Tactics & Transfers

Last edited:
Good luck, not sure which will be harder, France winning world cup with 11 homegrown PSG players or curbing club's FFP ;)

Good luck, not sure which will be harder, France winning world cup with 11 homegrown PSG players or curbing club's FFP ;)

Probably more of a chance France winning the World Cup with 23 PSG players than settling our FFP after what's been happening in real life..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre Season 2018

View attachment 31761

A promising pre-season with seven of the eight games ending in wins. I usually organise some of the fixtures myself as it helps bring in revenue to the club. Standout players included Kurzawa, Y. Adli and Verratti.

After a few tries with different tactics and formations, I eventually settled with this one based off the vertical tiki taka style. I tried 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 diamond, but eventually found out that this tactic produced the best outcome.

A fair bit of business done, however I only signed three of the players listed in our signings brought in to the club; de Ligt, 19, Marin, 18, and Ramires, 17. Sticking to a key philosophy of signing players under 23, while Jese heads the other way. Also a pre signing arranged for January who is a promising young striker. I remember him from FM18 who was a great player in his 20's.

Next post: August & September fixtures and results

August 2018

View attachment 31210

August sees us with our first competitive game against AS Monaco in the Trophy des Champions, and then we enter our Ligue 1 campaign with three games, hoping to bring a positive start to my career as PSG manager.
AS Monaco, 0-1 - This was always going be a test for us when we're missing three of our key players due to World Cup, in Mbappe, Cavani & Neymar. One game, one loss.
SM Caen, 2-0 - Starting our league campaign with a solid 2-0 win, always good to get a clean sheet too.
EA Guingamp, 1-1 - A frustrating match sees us gain a point in our first away game of the season.
Angers SCO, 0-0 - More frustrating than the last game, we couldn't find the target all game and dominated the full 90 minutes.

Player of the Month - Thomas Meunier

View attachment 31208

Thomas Meunier is our first player of the month, with consistent performances throughout August and picking up two man of the match awards.

Next post: September & October results

Last edited:
September 2018

View attachment 30972

We go into September looking to bounce off two draws and on paper looks like we can grab a few wins in the league. PSG also begin their UEFA Champions League campaign with a home fixture to Valencia.
Nimes, 2-0 - A positive looking start to the month as we travelled to Nimes and grabbed two early goals, nothing much for the rest of the match.
AS Saint-Etienne, 1-1 - This game was frustrating, where we could only pick up a draw coming back from international break.
Valencia, 1-0 - Starting the group stages positively, but the scoreline probably matched the game itself - boring.
Rennes, 2-3 - The first loss for me in the league this season, narrowly losing undeservedly due to two late goals.
Reims, 0-0 - Another draw for us where we were a strong side against a strong defence, and couldn't get a goal past them.
OGC Nice, 2-0 - Back to winning ways, could've scored more than two but a strong performance away from home.

Player of the Month - Edinson Cavani

View attachment 30960

Our key striker was able to find his form early in the season coming back from injury as he scores 6 goals in 5 league games. Hopefully many more to come over the course of this season.

We lose one of our best players in the squad for four weeks, Kylian Mbappe in training and missed the majority of the games this month.

October 2018

View attachment 30957

Straight off the bat with a second CL game before a couple league games then a trip to Naples with a tough test against one of Italy's best.
PSV, 3-1 - Two wins out of two in our CL run. Not our best of games and scraped a late convincing goal to kill the game off.
OL, 2-0 - One of our best performances of the season so far against a close title contender. Good to get wins against the best in the league.
Amiens SC, 3-0 - Continuing our winning streak in the league as unlike the scoreline, our defender shone more than the attackers as they picked up the goals. Corner tactics working a treat.
Napoli, 3-4 - A very entertaining game despite the defeat, back and forth in going behind then taking the lead. May have lost the away game but it's important to always win our home fixtures in the group stages.
OM, 2-3 - Four days later and we see another defeat to Marseille, hopefully can bounce back next month and end our longest losing streak so far.

View attachment 30960

Cavani's form continues as he's now on 16 goals in 14 games, all competitions. One of the deadliest finishes in Europe at the moment and can't seem to stop scoring.

Next post: November results

November 2018

View attachment 30804

We go into November looking to bounce back after our back to back defeats, hoping to get revenge on Napoli and a tough test away to Monaco, who is one of our title contenders.
Losc, 3-0 - A solid start to the month sees us gain three points against Lille despite having to rest a few players for the next game.
Napoli, 2-0 - A great result against one of the teams we were fighting against to get top spot in the group.
AS Monaco, 4-2 - Breezing past Monaco as we smash four goals past them while they could only score consolation goals.
Toulouse FC, 0-0 - A boring encounter with Toulouse sees us only walking away with a point feeling hard done by as we should have took three.
Valencia, 1-2 - We seem to have something about dropping in performance towards the end of the month, narrowly losing to Valencia.

Player of the Month - Neymar

View attachment 30802

It wasn't going to take long before Neymar was going to pick up a POTM award. After a couple of months I can finally find a position that best suits him, despite it needing me to change my tactic. I've changed to a 4-2-3-1 as he just slots in behind the striker in an Advanced Playmaker role. Good to see he's valued at £93m too.

Again Kylian Mbappe picks up another injury, more long term this time. Not good to see this at a young age, but how do you manage to break your ribs in a match on this game?

December 2018

View attachment 30797

A month of many games as we have seven fixtures in the space of just over three weeks.
Bordeaux, 0-1 - A poor start to December losing to a fairly poor side, but who seem to be in good form at the moment.
Strasbourg, 4-1 - A good way to bounce back, all these late kick off games in mid week may make us struggle but PSG can adapt to that.
Montpellier, 5-0 - This is more like it, 9 goals in 2 games as free scoring PSG begin climbing the table more now.
PSV, 3-0 - Coming towards the end of the group stages, this 3-0 win helps us qualify for the knockouts.
Dijon FCO, 2-1 - Made this game difficult for ourselves like we seem to enjoy doing at times, but three points nevertheless.
Montpellier, 3-0 - We face Montpellier for the second time this month but in the Coupe de la Ligue this time, a chance to play a few youngsters and rest some key players, as we advance to the next round.
FC Nantes, 1-0 - A solid way to finish the month and the year coming up to Christmas with three points as an early gift for us in the league.

Player of the Month - Julian Draxler

View attachment 30796

Quite an unexpected player to receive the POTM award, but has took his chance and performed excellently this month in place of injured Mbappe.

A great achievement for Edinson Cavani as he picks up the Player of the Year award, scoring 22 goals in 25 games and finishing above Suarez and Ronaldo. Messi no where to be seen in the top three.

Quite funny seeing this, our billionaire Qatar owners pumping small margins of money into the club to help deal with FFP regulations. Lets see how that goes down in the future.

Next post: January results & transfers

Last edited:
Hello there,i would love to see more of this story.

Thanks, appreciate it. Lot's more to come.

Winter Ins & Outs 2019

View attachment 30760
View attachment 30759

January sees PSG bring three new players to the club, all at a young age as I stick to my challenge of signing no players older than 23. Gian-Luca Itter is a young German full back who came from Wolfsburg, Lincoln a Brazilian striker from Flamengo, and Lee Kangin who is an attacking midfielder from Valencia. I'd love to sign a lot more Brazilian prospects as they produce many young starlets who have turned out to be worlds greatest in the future, but I can't register more than 4 non-EU players in the league.

Layvin Kurzawa is the only player heading out the door in January as I try to bring down the average age. He joins Man City for £28.5m which was why I brought in Itter as the replacement back up to Juan Bernat.

A big blow for the club as Buffon is set back for up to three months with a slipped disc. This leaves us down to bare bones as Kevin Trapp is the only keeper I can see playing a first team role for us now.

January 2019

View attachment 30757

Another busy month of fixtures as we are drawn to Marseille in the Coupe de la Ligue, and face Havre in the French Cup. Also a friendly was arranged with Dortmund which ended in victory but not important.
Havre AC, 3-1 - A solid win sees us advance through to the tenth round. Why so many rounds? Would be too much of a schedule if a team managed to get from round 1 to 10.
OM, 0-0p - We crash out in the quarters after having to go through extra time then penalties. If I was to lose I'd rather it be within 90 minutes so players' fitness doesn't drop as much.
EA Guingamp, 1-0 - Three Ligue 1 games in a row now in nine days, and on paper we should walk away with 9 points, 7 at the minimum. Three out of three so far.
Rennes, 0-1 - Unfortunately we see defeat at home to Rennes where we should have definitely won.
Amiens SC, 2-1 - Bouncing back with another win but had to wait until the 93rd minute to seal the victory.

Player of the Month - Kylian Mbappe

View attachment 30756

What better way to come back from injury than to get POTM award. With Cavani out due to injury I decided to play Mbappe as a striker the past few games and his form has drastically improved.

Gutted not to be able to bring in Tierney in January as I left it too late. Transfer fee was agreed and personal terms was too, but the transfer was delayed due to Celtic wanting to bring in a replacement defender before they let Tierney go, and wasn't able to do so in time. Hopefully I can bring him to the club in the summer.

Next post: February results

February 2019

View attachment 30310

Back again with more results as we see another round of the French Cup, as well as the beginning of the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League.
OL, 0-2 - A poor results as PSG can't score past Lyon who are looking the team in form at the moment in the league.
Clermont, 2-1 - The 10th round sees us with a narrow victory over Clermont and advance into the 11th round.
Bordeaux, 2-1 - Back to back 2-1 wins in the space of 4 days but in the league this time. A week break now before we face another league fixture.
AS Saint-Etienne, 3-0 - More like it as PSG get a strong three goals and three points in Ligue 1. Cavani with a hat-trick.
FCP, 4-0 - A great start to the knockout stages, a clean sheet at home and four goals making it difficult for Porto to come back in the second leg.
Nimes, 3-0 - Three clean sheets in a row, a good way to end the month having only lost one game all month and won the rest.

In the past posts I have done I've forgot to include an image of what the table looks like, so I'll be doing so carrying on forward. 27 games gone by the end of February and we are two point clear ahead of Marseille. Monaco have dropped to 6th who looked likely title contenders at the start of the season, but are battling for Europa League with Reims and Guingamp.

View attachment 30308

Our key striker had a dip in form over January, but regained his form in February to earn himself a POTM award again. Hopefully can keep this form up now towards the end of the season as we look to clinch the Ligue 1 title.

Next post: March results & Youth intake

Last edited:
March 2019

View attachment 30228

We look to gain more space at the top of the table with four Ligue 1 games, as well as another French Cup game and we travel to Portugal for our second leg of the UCL.
SM Caen, 2-0 - Players are adapting to the tactic a lot more now, having made a few tweaks so good to get a couple goals and a clean sheet.
Bordeaux, 3-0 - Another win in the French Cup and we look likely to be winning the cup as it gets to the latter stages.
FC Nantes, 2-0 - Another 2-0 league win but ended in a boring match, scoring both our goals within the first ten minutes and nothing really happening for the rest of the match.
FCP, 1-2 - Despite the loss, we advance to the quarter finals winning 5-2 on aggregate. Got nervous as we went 2-0 down but settled the nerves by getting the away goal and knocking Porto out.
OM, 4-3 - Most entertaining yet nerve-racking game so far this season, as we went 3-0 down in the first half hour before it being 3-1 at half time. A thrilling end to get the win.
Toulouse FC, 1-0 - Ending the month with a win as the players were coming back from international duty so was still missing a couple first team players.

We are now 30 games down in the league at the end of March and although we won all four league games this month, Lyon and Marseille are making it difficult for us to gain a larger gap at the top of the table. We only sit 3 points clear with slightly a bigger goal difference.

Player of the Month - Thomas Meunier

View attachment 30225

Our right back gets the award for this month for his participation in a few of our goals this month. He picked up 5 assists and even a goal for himself.

A key part in the month of March as we see our youth candidates come in. As this is mainly a youth challenge it'd be good to see a few players who look like future first team players, so with our good youth facilities it is good to see at least three players who look worthy of playing a part in the first team in the coming years. Stephane Savelli looks to be the standout player of the bunch who can play striker and fit into the role of a Pressing Forward if I keep the same roles in the future.

Next post: April results

April 2019

View attachment 29963

PSG are looking to make the margin bigger at the top of the table ahead of Lyon going into a busy month of April which also sees us draw to Atletico Madrid in the UCL Quarter finals. As well as that we are drawn to Guingamp in the French Cup quarters.
Strasbourg, 2-0 - A solid start as we had to rest a few key players with the UCL game three days later, so a chance for players out of favour to prove themselves worthy of a place in the starting XI in the future.
A. Madrid, 1-3 - A very difficult fixture made it seem impossible to score past Oblak as we fall to defeat. We managed to get one away goal in Madrid towards the end though so could be a huge factor in the second leg.
LOSC, 3-1 - Again I thought it'd be best to rest a few players with the second leg coming up four days later so I don't want to run the risk of any injuries, but a 3-1 win away to Lille is all we could ask for.
A. Madrid, 5-0 - What a way to make a comeback, only winning 1-0 at half time it seemed like we were going to crash out early in the CL, but a few changes around the formation and roles as we smash four second half goals and advance to the semis, where we are drawn to Man City.
AS Monaco, 1-0 - Another tough game straight off the back of Atletico, but we manage to sneak the three points with a 1-0 win.
EA Guingamp, 2-0 - With the French Cup not being so important to us to win, it's a fixture I like to be able to play a few younger players and give them first team experience. We gain a 2-0 win and advance to the semi finals.
Montpellier, 2-1 - Our last league game of the month which put me in a dilemma as I didn't want to drop points as Lyon were constantly on our backs, but the UCL semi final was round the corner so I kept a few in the squad and came away with a 2-1 win.
Man City, 1-1 - A great way to make it difficult for ourselves in the second leg, as we couldn't get the win at home. Also their away goal is massive going into the second leg.

Only four games remain in the league now and we have a 5 point gap ahead of Lyon. Also a close call on who will make that 3rd spot to qualify for next seasons Champions League.

Player of the Month - Kylian Mbappe

View attachment 29957

Mbappe wins the POTM for this month who played a big part in our UCL games picking up a couple goals, and in his last five games has an average rating of 8.34.

Good news at the end of the month with a hefty £67m budget and a large wage budget which we could adjust to increase the transfer budget. This could also be increased with the players I'm looking to offload in the summer.

Next post: May results & End of season

Last edited:

It comes down to the final month of the season now with four league games remaining. On top of that PSG face FCSM in the French Cup semis, with a trip to Manchester for the second leg of the Champions League.
OGC Nice, 2-0 - After the 2-0 win to Nice it has put us in a great position to win the league, with 8 points clear and three games left all we need is 2 points to clinch the title.
Man City, 2-1 - What a comeback, an early goal by City and we thought PSG were down and out, but 2 goals put us into the final on away goals. Liverpool beat Man United 2-0 on aggregate so looking forward to a trip to Madrid for the final in June.
Angers SCO, 6-1 - We've retained the league by thrashing Angers, putting six goals past them with Cavani in the spotlight.
FCSM, 4-0 - Semi finals of the French Cup three days later and another walkover game. PSG are now in the final against Strasbourg.
Dijon FCO, 2-0 - Now that we've won the league we are able to play a few of the youngsters to give them experience in Ligue 1. They impressed with a 2-0 win.
Reims, 3-0 - Our final league game of the season ending on a high with three goals and a clean sheet.
Strasbourg, 1-0 - With a couple players out injured, I wasn't as confident going into the final. But we managed to grab the win and are French Cup winners.
Liverpool, 1-2 - Dramatic night at the Metropolitano as Liverpool took the lead through Sadio Mane, and then doubled their lead with a goal by Mo Salah. It was difficult for us to come back and Neymar playing striker in replacement of Cavani's injury, scoring a consolation goal but wasn't enough as Liverpool lift the Champions League.

A solid 10 points clear at the end of the season as Marseille take second spot overtaking Lyon. Saint-Etienne, Lille and Angers are relegated to Ligue 2.

View attachment 29883

Although he was absent for the UCL Final through injury, Cavani was involved in a few goals this month so claims the award. Also ended on 47 goals for the season in all competitions.

End of Season Awards

View attachment 29878

A great first season as PSG managers as we clinch the double and runners up to the UCL, but Edinson Cavani was standout player of the season as chosen by fans, and was probably also Manager's POTS. Antonio Marin was the signing of the season at a bargain of £2.25m, and at the start of the season I didn't think he'd get much game time at his age and would probably feature more in the reserves but when playing for the first team he definitely impressed. Kylian Mbappe undoubtedly won young player of the season with consistent performances.

The chairman offered me a new contract too in April which I forgot to screenshot, so it's good to commit my future to PSG and looking forward to the new season where hopefully I can win the UCL next time round.

Next post: 2019/20 Pre season

That's a great set of youth players that came in mate!

Thanks, hopefully they can develop into first team regulars in the future but I'll be patient, don't want to throw 14 and 15 year olds in the deep end straight away.

----

2019/20 Pre Season

My second season in charge as Paris SG manager and I'm looking forward to finally settle in with players who I want at the club. I feel when being put in charge of a club the first season is difficult as there are players who may not suit your system and won't have the time to offload them in the first transfer window, so I've done a lot of business this summer and can't wait to see how they do in Ligue 1.

A worrying start as Cavani seems unhappy at the club as his contract runs out next summer. I'm debating whether to keep him this season and see him leave on a free or try to sell him now to get some transfer revenue. I've gone by my philosophy and listed him for transfer to hopefully bring in a French striker as a replacement.

A very busy window as expected as around £172m is spent on players. We finally manage to bring in Kieran Tierney after failing last winter. We raid Dortmund taking two key players, and I'm satisfied with the French players I've brought in, including Zagadou, Ndombele, Geubbels, Lafont and Gomes. The last three I could only sign on loan as either the club didn't want them to leave permanently, or had a huge asking fee.

On the other hand we rake in £128m in players sales. There aren't really any players who I regret selling however maybe one or two where I feel I could have got more money, but was just desperate to leave.

This is the tactic I've gone with along with probably our strongest XI. Was debating whether it'd be Rabiot or Ndombele as the box to box, also Neymar fits in the middle where PSG can get the best out of him.

Pre Season Results 2019

View attachment 29781

A very promising start as we don't lose a game. Walking over the teams with less reputation and narrowly defeating / drawing the better ones.

Next post: August & September results

Promising youngsters.You might get the UCL title this year.

With all the business I did over the summer, that's my aim so hopefully I can.

A fairly promising draw in the UCL as we are drawn to Man Utd, Fenerbahce and Legia Warsaw. United look like our only challengers but I'll be aiming for top of the group.

August 2019

View attachment 29601

Our first set of games for the season as we face Marseille in the Trophee des Champions, who won the Coupe de la Ligue. Then diving straight in with six league fixtures.
OM, 2-0 - A good start to the season picking up the first trophy, with some new signings making good first impressions.
EA Guingamp, 3-0 - Solid start to the campaign with a hat-trick of assists from Tierney.
OL, 1-1 - Three days later and it's a tough trip away to Lyon as we could only come away with a point, but were the better team throughout.
FC Nantes, 0-0 - Back to back draws where we dominated the possession but couldn't break the deadlock.
OGC Nice, 2-1 - Back to winning ways as we get a late winner through Mbappe.
Reims, 2-0 - Ending the month on a win as we go undefeated and another solid performance with a clean sheet to add.

Five games in and it's a good start where we sit in second behind Marseille who have won all their games after losing to us. Only Monaco are the other team to have gone unbeaten so far.

Player of the Month - Kieran Tierney

View attachment 29599

His first month as a PSG player has been very promising as he picked up a few assists in August with an average rating of 7.65.

----

September 2019

View attachment 29598

Only four games in September which involved three away games and three games in the league, as well as a trip to Manchester for the second time in my career.
Montpellier, 3-1 - A satisfying win where some players missed out to rest with United in four days time so didn't want to risk any injuries.
Man Utd, 4-2 - A great start in the champions league as we bag four against United which made it even tougher being at their ground and probably our toughest fixture in the group stage out of the way first.
Bordeaux, 2-0 - Three wins in three games this month continuing our form from August as we look to try and overtake Marseille.
Toulouse FC, 0-0 - Second time this season we've walked away with only one point due to a boring goalless draw.

Paris SG stay sat in second with Marseille remaining top having just lost one game this month and only we now remain the unbeaten team in the league with the second most goal difference behind Guingamp after conceding very few goals so far.

View attachment 29596

Cavani ends his drought having gone at least four games without a goal and is finding the same form he had last season. Hopefully it gives him a boost now to continue the form going into October.

Next post: October results

October 2019

View attachment 29182

More money has been injected into the club and put towards our transfer budget, as we now have £185m to splash out on players.

Hopefully we can carry on our solid champions league form against two teams where on paper we should come away with wins, with also three league games in October so I expect to come away with at least 13 points from these five games.
Legia, 3-0 - This win almost guaranteed our qualification to the knockout stages with three goals and a clean sheet to improve our goal difference over United.
FC Metz, 3-1 - Four days later and we're back at the Parc des Princes where we pick up another three goals and a win.
Strasbourg, 3-1 - Three games in a row now where we've bagged three goals in a game although this game was a difficult test where players weren't performing as well as usual.
Fenerbahce, 2-1 - Edging closer to finishing top of the group with another win but again a tough test in Turkey as we originally went behind and had to come back to win.
Dijon FCO, 2-0 - We end the month by beating Dijon resulting in a very good month for Paris SG as we made it 5/5 wins for October.

We still remain unbeaten in the league but again can't overtake Marseille who sit three points about us. The goal difference is also looking very close between us, Marseille and Guingamp.

Player of the Month - Thiago Almada

View attachment 29176

A very promising month for Almada as he looks to break through into the first team. As a natural CAM, I decided to play him there and slot Neymar onto the wing in absence of the injured Mbappe, and he didn't disappoint.

Next post: November results