Is it possible to retrain a simple Poacher/DLF/F9 to Complete Forward? How?

Messer

Reaction score
My team has mostly the simpler versions of Strikers - Poachers, False 9, DLF, Defensive Forwards.

Is it possible to teach a 18-23 year old player to be good as a Complete Forward? Currently they have 2 out of 10 on the role suitability circle as CF, but they are quite competent in usually 2-3 other Striker roles. Or do I have to look for players that are already good in this role?

2nd part or my question - how to do it? Should they be played as CFs despite their low rating, or should they play as DLFs with only the training set to Complete Forward? I tried the 2nd option, but it doesn't seem to make them more able as CF, even though their attributes are rising in different areas.

See what's required for a CF and train the attributes he's weak at.

OK, but he has the attributes but hasn't got the role mastered.

I just wonder if he'll get the CF role suitability higher if only training for it and playing his old role (DLF).

And how much will he underperform if played as CF which he hasn't mastered?

If he has the attributes to play the role then you can play him in it, Most likely the players preferred roles are the ones he is 100% in but if you train him and play him in the CF role then he will learn it quicker, No point training him in it and not playing him/them, If you don't want to use them right away loan them out on the condition they are played as CF's and keep an eye on their progress.

Don't get too caught on whether the game "rates" the player at a given role. Its moreso about the skills they have, how you want/need them to play, and whether they are capable of that. I recall reading that some roles have "CA limitations", so lower league players will never be rated to play that role, even if they have the skills for that level to do it.

Be reasonable - don't put a converted center back as a fullback and give them a Complete Wing Back role, then wonder why they can't perform like Dani Alves. But if they have the skills needed, they should work as long as it fits your tactic. My best success as a striker on FM17 so far has been a pretty limited big guy forward, who isn't real quality by the standard of the league, and is best rated as a Defensive Forward or Target Man. Despite no rating as a Complete Forward, that's how I used him and he was hitting almost 1 in 1 because the skills he did have - work rate, team work, physical skills - made it work in my tactic.

Cool, thanks, I'll re-check the attributes, but thanks for the info guys.