Karzid

Reaction score
I've played as Villa a lot of times, my main game is now two years in and we're currently fighting for the final top place in the EPL with Everton and City. I have played as Villa so much, and I only just discovered that James Milner seems to be suited very well to a Defensive Forward role up front, in support.

I have Mario Santana in AMR, so Milner is only backup there. Then I have Delph, Pereyra and Reo-Coker, all of which play MC better than him, so he was only secondary backup to Reo-Coker. He was taking it well that he only made the occasional substitute appearance, but for the last two games I've played him in my starting team. Why?

Well Agbon and Carew were both injured, so I had Jozy Altidore playing up front as an Advanced Forward. I had to sub him out, and as I was looking for a player to sub him out for I stopped on Milner's name. I subbed him in and looked at where he would be best suited if I did have him as a striker, and he suited very very well, surprisingly, to a Defensive Forward role in support. Anyone else try him as a striker?

Last game we won 2 - 0 against Middlesborough. He scored both, because Agbon was still out. This game, so far, as I am still playing it, Agbon has scored one and Milner has scored one, in the first 14 minutes. So this role is obviously playing out well for him so far.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised really. He's not clinical enough to be an out-and-out striker, but as a supporting, defensive player playing high up on the pitch he could do really well. An interesting idea, and Milner's versatility would most definitely make it possible.

As a hard-working, defensively diligent player working to bring others in towards goal, I reckon it could work very well.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised really. He's not clinical enough to be an out-and-out striker, but as a supporting, defensive player playing high up on the pitch he could do really well. An interesting idea, and Milner's versatility would most definitely make it possible.

As a hard-working, defensively diligent player working to bring others in towards goal, I reckon it could work very well.

Well for both games I've played him there he's gotten MotM, and scored two goals (second game just ended, he scored two again). I was going to put him in as Poacher, have no idea why, but saw that didn't suite him in the slightest. As a defensive player, he's hanging back more, but his runs are amazing and that's how he's scoring.

When he's not making the runs though, he's hanging further back and making a difference with his passing, him and Pereyra can bring my whole team forward for an attacking move with their passing skills.

I believe Tottenham are next, so we'll see if his position can still hold good against a top team. His games in striker were against Boro then Blackburn, so this will be the big test.

It makes sense, how bout a box-box midfielder then? But since your deploying him as a defensive forward, he attacks more than being a midfielder, so yea, quite interesting indeed.

Milner is a very versatile player, just dont give him a role where he sits back and defends alot, and not a role where he is the focal point of attack. contrary to real life, he is a very good defensive player.

It makes sense, how bout a box-box midfielder then? But since your deploying him as a defensive forward, he attacks more than being a midfielder, so yea, quite interesting indeed.

Milner is a very versatile player, just dont give him a role where he sits back and defends alot, and not a role where he is the focal point of attack. contrary to real life, he is a very good defensive player.

He's been subbed in as a box to box before, in the place of Pereyra, but he never shined really. First season he did decent when subbed in, but this season he had been performing very average.

I was very wary of the defensive side of the position when I put him in striker, because I wasn't so sure of his defensive abilities. I also knew he wouldn't fair well being the main point in our attacks, unlike our other strikers.