last.fm for films

tubby

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Recently I've been kicking about the idea of a
last.fm style website, but for films. Logging the films users watch (if on the computer, was considering some kind of text/ mobile service for on the go, i.e cinema) then displaying stats/ recommending new films based on favourites and the like. There really doesn't seem to be such a site that has properly taken off and was wondering what opinions everyone had on the idea? I've knocked up a few Photoshop stills but wanted to properly think about plan it out before delving into code. Server, databases coding etc is all not a problem as thats my hobby, but outsider opinions are very important to me!

I'd also appreciate some feedback on how to play it, as its easier to conceal downloaded music than a downloaded film if you get me? (For example all CDs can be ripped to .mp3s but 90% of the time who bothers to rip their DVDs to an .avi on their computer?) These sort of things are things I need to properly consider..

Also piracy is wrong I don't do it

Also also, if this is more 'movies and tv' then move it there, I was torn between General and the Movies category so I guessed - my bad if its wrong.

Update:
Dunc has informed me that via a link in Lee's sig, this site already exists. Probably not going to continue this idea as that other site seems fairly good and I plan on crying for a few weeks. I suppose ideas for a new website would be sweet? lol

Last edited:
The main problem, isn't that there are sites similar. Because there aren't, all the current websites for tracking movies or tv shows all require manual input from the user to say what they've watched. Last.fm is great because it scrobbles everything automatically. Developing an application/plugin etc for monitoring what films/tv are being watched would be a huge hassle because most people do not give their files clear names or meta data unlike their music.