Look for overlap on one flank only- feature needed

kr10

Reaction score
I'm currently running a 4141 with a wide playmaker at LM, and a CWB(a) behind him, with a traditional winger on the other flank.

I want to get the CWB more involved, so am thinking of using "look for overlap". However, I am afraid this will blunt the attacking play of the winger on the other side.

this got me thinking- I would like "Look for Overlap" TI to be set for each flank individually, rather than both flanks together. In my case, I would select it only for the Left flank.

The other option I'm considering is training my WP to learn "stops play", so there is time for the wingback to overlap.

Thoughts?

I've thought that several times and always forgot to mention it in the wishes thread.

Ways to get what you want: Make the LM not attacking, instruct him to hold up position perhaps combined with exploit left flank.

Overlap

I've thought that several times and always forgot to mention it in the wishes thread.

Ways to get what you want: Make the LM not attacking, instruct him to hold up position perhaps combined with exploit left flank.

Yup, it would be a simple a great fix to the game. I try to play asymmetrical attacking systems so it would help me a lot.

I actually did a fair bit of brainstorming and was thinking along similar lines- the issue is definitely that the WP is pushing up a little too far, perhaps exaggerated by my PI "gets further forward". I do want him on attack duty though so he can run at defense and link up with my lone striker.

Exploit it left flank is an interest one - I presume this should increase attacking runs of LB and LM, and make the LCM hold up the ball one? In this case, perhaps the LCM (CM-S) can be the one pinging the ball over the top for the O onrushing CWB.

Have a a brazilian Wonderkid at LM and a Argentine Wonderkid (left winger, who I'm training to CWB), so trying to get the best out of both of them. Playing with Stockport country at the moment in an LLM save.

Cheers, thanks for the inputs

Exploit the left flank would make both with more offensive mentality but I don't think it makes the wingers to hold ball.

The gets forward will indeed make your problem worse. You should remove it and see what happens. And if it's not enough, try to give away the attacking duty and see if with his decision making (and vision and flair?) that player knows to pick when to take on the defenders. If you find he misses too many opportunities to do as you wish then go back to the attacking duty, but not because it's supporting he'll stop. You may even find he is less eager to do so and with good decisions he may turn out to be more effective as he'll pick the better moments to make those movements you want.

Exploit the left flank would make both with more offensive mentality but I don't think it makes the wingers to hold ball.

The gets forward will indeed make your problem worse. You should remove it and see what happens. And if it's not enough, try to give away the attacking duty and see if with his decision making (and vision and flair?) that player knows to pick when to take on the defenders. If you find he misses too many opportunities to do as you wish then go back to the attacking duty, but not because it's supporting he'll stop. You may even find he is less eager to do so and with good decisions he may turn out to be more effective as he'll pick the better moments to make those movements you want.

Cheers mate, got a good debate going here.

Did some thinking and experimenting and made a couple changes to my midfield setup:

1. Changed WP at LM to support instead of attack - as you has suggested. Difference in overlap play is HUGE. Night and day.
2. Changed LCM from CMs to CMd, to give the WP space to cut into, and also provide cover for the attacking CWB.
3. Changed DMd to DMs, to add balance in central midfield

my setup now looks as follows :
SKd
FBd CB CB CWBa
DMs
Wa CMa CMd WPs
DLFs

having the right players in CMa (almost a deep lying shadow striker), and CWB will be essential - hoping to have these in place by next season.

Excited to give this a go- creating tactics is by far my most favorite part of the game- I am
also a defensive coach by nature, so the ultra attacking stuff I see online doesn't suit my tastes.

I am also the defensive type, though lately I'm trying to delve into watching more over the offensive side.

Those changes sound very interesting and I'd expect them to give very good results. I'd like to have an update on how it goes.